• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play Thursday, September 14 at 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm GMT

My rating is a C.

For some reason, and I checked my video twice to be sure, the state of play felt like it was moving at almost 1.5x speed in presentation after the first two games shown. Trailers and footage were going by way too fast before I could even think about what I just saw.

I'd need someone who understands the inner workings of a video game company's youtube/twitch channel to tell me why it's a bad thing that they go over runtime on their own channel for their own show.

Eliciel

1. I liked Helldivers.
  2. Spiderman 2 many good ideas, I just wonder if it will keep me playing. However, yadiyadiyadi 65 cities, double-trouble, 200+ costume yadi...OKAY I get it, I mean, I have the feeling having developed a fatigue for this kind of AAA open-world recipe...somehow I need a change or maybe I am getting old. Let's see.
  3. Final Fantasy 7, I mean it looks great and it will most probably be a good game especially for fans. Same problem as with Spiderman, yes, I know...we will see..
I just need some more freshness in the gaming industry and I am getting more and more the feeling they will have to step away from the "OPEN WORLD" obligation (it is by now). To create something reeally great again, maybe people need go back to the drawing board and thing again how to innovate here...
Just my 2 cents.

My rating for the SoP is: A for keeping it crisp, B for games shown and D for innovation - probably a B- in total.

PS: Yes, I have played and finished BG3 and it is fantastic. There is always an exception to any rule and BG3 delivered on any front I could possibly imagine.

Last edited:

saintjules

This is probably the best lineup of announcements in a single day I swear.

From Nintendo Direct to this. I wouldn't have dreamt this.

F Zero 99
Super Mario RPG
Star Ocean 2nd Story R
FFVII Rebirth.
Eiyuden Chronicles
SaGa
Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered
Resident Evil 4
Tales of Arise

Just to name a few. Whats going on?

Last edited:

NEbeast

Absolute dog shit.

You can tell Sony hastily put this together to get it out on the same day as the Nintendo Direct.
Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I am surprised we saw *nothing* regarding Little Devil Inside.

FF7Rebirth was really the only standout for me. A few other games I am interested in, but won't buy until a deep sale.

I am surprised we saw *nothing* regarding Little Devil Inside.

FF7Rebirth was really the only standout for me. A few other games I am interested in, but won't buy until a deep sale.
I am convinced that game is vaporware at this point. Not sure what's taking so long. It's an indie game for Christ's sake. Was it also a Unity game?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I am convinced that game is vaporware at this point. Not sure what's taking so long. It's an indie game for Christ's sake. Was it also a Unity game?

Not too sure. I could have sworn the game was on track for a launch or shortly after launch release of The PS5. I wonder if Covid had some major issues with the game's development.

Not too sure. I could have sworn the game was on track for a launch or shortly after launch release of The PS5. I wonder if Covid had some major issues with the game's development.
It's based on Unreal Engine I just checked. The kickstarter was also announced for it in April of 2015. We are about to be in the year 2024. That is going to be 9 years since it's Kickstarter days. Yeah, there something really shady going on behind the scenes. An indie game should not be taking Cyberpunk 2077 levels of development. Cyberpunk 2077 was revealed in 2013 and launched at the end of 2020. This is absurd.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This is probably the best lineup of announcements in a single day I swear.

From Nintendo Direct to this. I wouldn't have dreamt this.

F Zero 99
Super Mario RPG
Star Ocean 2nd Story R
FFVII Rebirth.
Eiyuden Chronicles
SaGa
Tomb Raider 1-3 Remastered
Resident Evil 4
Tales of Arise

Just to name a few. Whats going on?
Are we forgetting.....

Better hope not for your own sake.
gojo-toji.gif

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's going to suck because Blooper Team is pants but it is Silent Hill 2 so...
... comeon. just don't buy it. the OG is always right there. You don't need to buy every remake, just the ones that look good. It's much worse to experience first hand your favorite game getting sodomized than it is to just.... ignore it.

Even if you were doing it to "fund more Silent Hill", it'd give us more bad games since Konami has no taste in anything that isn't rhythm games.

bender

What time is it?
... comeon. just don't buy it. the OG is always right there. You don't need to buy every remake, just the ones that look good. It's much worse to experience first hand your favorite game getting sodomized than it is to just.... ignore it.

Even if you were doing it to "fund more Silent Hill", it'd give us more bad games since Konami has no taste in anything that isn't rhythm games.

The OG isn't right there though. I wish they'd release the PC port on GOG/Steam but this remake makes then even less likely.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I own a PS2 Slim, a Framemeister, Silent 2 Black Label and Greatest Hits. I have no qualms with emulating it. A PC port exists, just not on modern storefronts.
you don't have to play the PS2 original. The PC port recieved a mod called enhanced edition that brings it up to modern standards. higher resolutions, 16:9 and modern controller support

bender

What time is it?
you don't have to play the PS2 original. The PC port recieved a mod called enhanced edition that brings it up to modern standards. higher resolutions, 16:9 and modern controller support

Thus why I'd like a legal way to obtain the PC port digitally.

Or Konami to work with Blue Point a la Sony to do a proper remaster. But instead we got fucking Blooper Team.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Thus why I'd like a legal way to obtain the PC port digitally.
it's abandonware, no one will fault you for downloading it. I'd agree a GOG port would be nice for convenience, but there's still plenty of options if you're on PC. Now for consoles, I agree that they should rerelease or remaster the game.

I'll leave you alone now, but at least reconsider this.

bender

What time is it?
it's abandonware, no one will fault you for downloading it. I'd agree a GOG port would be nice for convenience, but there's still plenty of options if you're on PC. Now for consoles, I agree that they should rerelease or remaster the game.

I'll leave you alone now, but at least reconsider this.

It's a good conversation my friend. I'd almost say that it would be free money for Konami but who knows what the status is of the VA rights for the PC version after the debacle that was the HD version on 360/PS3. I know a lot of the VAs waived their rights.

bender

What time is it?
No Ghost Runner 2 thread so: I tried the demo. I never put much time into the original. Performance seems great and it oozes with style. I really like the concept of the game and maybe I just suck, but boy does it feel like it is focused on trial and error which is reinforced by the amount of checkpoints (maybe that's just for the tutorial section?).

saintjules

The weapons and the Gold Saucer are in this. Can't wait! I wonder if Emerald and Ruby are in this too.

I am wondering how we will fight them. Initially I thought we would fight them in the virtual arena, but maybe they will respect the OG by doing them where they were originally.

Edellus

No Ghost Runner 2 thread so: I tried the demo. I never put much time into the original. Performance seems great and it oozes with style. I really like the concept of the game and maybe I just suck, but boy does it feel like it is focused on trial and error which is reinforced by the amount of checkpoints (maybe that's just for the tutorial section?).
I haven't played the first one. But the demo of this game caught my eye.

I really liked the idea. The running itself feels a bit slow, though (compared to the rest of the gameplay). I wonder if the speed can be increased later on.

The bike section was so cool too.

Humdinger

It was a lot better than I expected. I actually watched most of it, rather than just fast-forwarded through most, as I usually do.

I was laughing at the first game (Baby Steps). I wonder if they can make a game out of it, rather than it just being a one-note gag. I remember thinking that Octodad would be a lot of fun, based on the humor in the trailers, but the actual game was pretty dull.

The VR games looked fun. Seems like "fun" has sort of gone out of mainstream AAA gaming. Maybe it will flourish in the VR space for a while.

-Zelda-

Banned
I liked it. Really looking forward to RE4 Separate Ways, Tales of Arise: Beyond the Dawn, and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth in February. I liked a lot of the stuff shown during the Nintendo Direct, also.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

I really hope the dev team can deliver the game as it looks fantastic. I thought with Sony highlighting it in a previous PS5 showcase, it would release shortly afterwards. Boy, was I wrong.

I guess a "positive" for the game is that Sony is still featuring it on their website Little Devil Inside here.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reading up on it, it started out as a 2015 KS campaign and has been delayed numerous times, with 2021 being the year of official release. The game;'s website is pretty barren and looks like it hasnt been updated in years.

Going by how little is known/updates, I'd put this game on a sliding scale trending to the Cancelled Game side.

It was okay. I think the hate for playstation rn is extremely corny
Thought the same thing, it was a decent showcase, Idk what people are expecting.

The only issue was a lack of justifying why they increased the price for PS plus. I expected to see more games announced as day one drops for PS plus.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The only issue was a lack of justifying why they increased the price for PS plus. I expected to see more games announced as day one drops for PS plus.
You're assuming the recent price hike will lead to better online services or PS+ games. Sony's recent earnings and estimates have been below expectations. IMO, the price hike is simply to jack up their profits knowing most people wont bail from the service. If there were bonus perks along side the price increase they would had announced it together.

Cyberpunkd

You're assuming the recent price hike will lead to better online services or PS+ games. Sony's recent earnings and estimates have been below expectations. IMO, the price hike is simply to jack up their profits knowing most people wont bail from the service. If there were bonus perks along side the price increase they would had announced it together.
Yes, the “use the new price to further improve the service” is corpo speak, there will be no changes, it’s just to increase profits.

So many cool games announced. I'm still struggling to play all the games I bought in the last month and there's much more on the way. My poor wallet 🥲

IyzfBuT.jpg

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Rise of the Ronin is a Japanese one so don't need to worry about it.
Korean and Chinese ones show their games and then disappear.
It is common, but I have hopes with Stellar Ass because of Sony's involvement.

F.I.S.T. and ANNO Mutationem are a few Chinese games that have released because they were a part of PlayStation's China Hero project.

Top Bottom