• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is 4K/30 on Series X, 1440/30 on Series S

Surely 1440p is too ambitious for the series s if they want it to look decent would have thought it would be 1080p. Good for them if they can pull it off though.

Last edited:
Not playing a game because it's 30FPS is mind boggling to me. If a game looks fun I play it, it doesn't have to meet some resolution or framerate benchmarks for me to play a game

StereoVsn

This is disappointing. There should be a 60fps Performance mode with judicial cuts or at least even 40fps one.

30fps in a game with fluid shooting just feels wrong.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't know where this 60 fps expectation always comes from. If you want graphical progress, it's going to be extremely difficult to do it at 60 fps.

Either the games will still look like for ps4/xbox one but with 60 fps. Or there will be graphical progress but at 30 fps. Both is unfortunately very difficult.

I am Ok with it. I have been playing TOTK for the last two weeks and its 30 at best. Really does depend on how good the game is. However while 60 might be too much for CPU reasons I would expect that 1440p 40 is very likely possible. It's a shame that Microsoft doesn't offer 40fps like Sony does.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is Zelda a bad game because it runs at 30fps?

friday-movie-that-was-different.gif

Ceadeus

Gold Member
They know they'll still be selling this game in a decade. Just like skyrim we're gonna see multiple edition through this gen revision and then next gen.

And this is a massive scale game, certainly much more taxing on system specs than many of the other games on the hardware.

If one dogmatically considers playing a game at 30fps to be an unpleasant and unacceptable experience, it shouldn’t matter whether or not it’s a handheld.

It wouldn't be accepted for SM2 with it's massive open world city to be 30fps would it. There are other massive scale games at 60fps. Don't forget this is running on an old engine from Fallout 4 that isn't massively demanding. There will likely be a patch several months or sooner after release for 4K 60 and then all the justifications of why it's 30fps will be dispelled.

I am Ok with it. I have been playing TOTK for the last two weeks and its 30 at best. Really does depend on how good the game is. However while 60 might be too much for CPU reasons I would expect that 1440p 40 is very likely possible. It's a shame that Microsoft doesn't offer 40fps like Sony does.

I'm sure they will bring different modes after launch. It's a large complex game that they need to just get out.

Ozriel

M$FT
Nope, I'm actually perfectly fine with it being 30fps but it's funny seeing some who weren't all of a sudden change their tune and try and justify it with 'complexity' when it explains nothing and has little to do with it. A Bethesda game at that.

So why don’t you actually quote the people who were supposedly vehemently against 30fps and are now fine with this?

Oh, wait. You tried that with analog_future analog_future and he came with receipts to show he’s long been perfectly fine with 30fps.

ThisIsMyDog

I really don't understand why there isn't at least a 40fps/120hz mode on the XSX. Todd said they regularly get above 50fps in testing. Even if they had to drop the resolution a bit a 40fps mode would be a huge improvement over 30fps.
if the problem is CPU then just dropping resolution will give you almost nothing.

Ozriel

M$FT
It wouldn't be accepted for SM2 with it's massive open world city to be 30fps would it. There are other massive scale games at 60fps.

Spiderman 2 didn’t look THAT much different from Miles Morales to be capped at half the framerate, and is nowhere near the scope and complexity of Starfield.

People will accept it without blinking if GTA 6 is 30fps on console. I can guarantee you.

Don't forget this is running on an old engine from Fallout 4 that isn't massively demanding.

Aside from the fact that Bethesda’s RPGs have been CPU and GPU intensive, Starfield and ES6 are being made on a next gen updated version of their Creation Engine.

There will likely be a patch several months or sooner after release for 4K 60 and then all the justifications of why it's 30fps will be dispelled.

This is extremely unlikely, especially since you’d expect most of their efforts to be focused on the already announced expansion and bug fixing.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Exactly. I'll never understand the hate some here have towards Bethesda’s game engine. I find this kind of stuff waaaay more impressive than anything that Unreal Engine 5 or Decima, for example, can produce.

Combine this with the fact that all objects have physics and you can build your settlements and tgr game just 'remembers' all of that. It's super good.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Now after Todds and Spencer words I'm convinced FPS will be all over the place with stutter and heavy dips. Otherwise they would offer unlocked mode at least with warning it's just targeting 60.

Mister Wolf

It wouldn't be accepted for SM2 with it's massive open world city to be 30fps would it. There are other massive scale games at 60fps. Don't forget this is running on an old engine from Fallout 4 that isn't massively demanding. There will likely be a patch several months or sooner after release for 4K 60 and then all the justifications of why it's 30fps will be dispelled.

Spiderman 2 takes place in a city with a bunch of similar looking buildings, doesn't even have a day/night cycle, nor does it have real-time GI. The game is lacking compared to other open world games which is why there is no surprise it can achieve 60fps.

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
Is anyone surprised? Surely 60fps would have been more of a surprise. I don't agree with the decision. There certainly should be a 60fps mode, particularly when the game is running on Series S.
Anyone trying to pretend this isn't disappointing is lying to themself.

I imagine the next Xbox refresh will run it at 60fps.

Last edited:

mysticboy

Todd himself said they had it running 4k at an unlocked 60fps. So all the points the scope of the game and every sandwich being tracked as to a reason to lock at 30 and not have any type of performance mode, fail.

Boss Mog

I'd MUCH rather have 1440p/60fps on the X. Another huge fuck up by MS here. It's kind of sad that CyberPunk 2077 looks better and runs better than a 1st party flagship title.

The worrying part is the footage they've shown is full of stutters and framedips so I'm guessing it won't even be a rock solid 30fps.

Katajx

Gold Member
Good. Graphics need to be pushed forward. If you want to play at 60 then you know what to do. Stop being cheap.
Over the last few console generations consoles have been becoming more and more PC like. So have some of the games.

So we have had a box that allows us with far less options to pick if we want fidelity or frame rate.

That’s an amazing option, and it’s not realistic to think every game can have them, but when they can. They should.

Like if it met the recommended spec, then give me that choice. Don’t take it away or make it for me.

As for the stop being cheap. Some of us don’t want to and aren’t gonna play that game with the hyper inflated price of GPUs.

The dollar per performance just isn’t there for me no matter how you cut it at the higher end. Especially so when the engines are jank and they don’t optimize for those high end cards because that’s not where the majority of the market is.

I’m not going to advocate for you to not be able to uncheck things and tweak your performance.

Mister Wolf

I'd MUCH rather have 1440p/60fps on the X. Another huge fuck up by MS here. It's kind of sad that CyberPunk 2077 looks better and runs better than a 1st party flagship title.

The worrying part is the footage they've shown is full of stutters and framedips so I'm guessing it won't even be a rock solid 30fps.

I would say the environments and lighting absolutely look better in Starfield than the console versions of Cyberpunk..

Mister Wolf

Over the last few console generations consoles have been becoming more and more PC like. So have some of the games.

So we have had a box that allows us with far less options to pick if we want fidelity or frame rate.

That’s an amazing option, and it’s not realistic to think every game can have them, but when they can. They should.

Like if it met the recommended spec, then give me that choice. Don’t take it away or make it for me.

As for the stop being cheap. Some of us don’t want to and aren’t gonna play that game with the hyper inflated price of GPUs.

The dollar per performance just isn’t there for me no matter how you cut it at the higher end. Especially so when the engines are jank and they don’t optimize for those high end cards because that’s not where the majority of the market is.

I’m not going to advocate for you to not be able to uncheck things and tweak your performance.

Name some AAA open world games from last gen that let you play at 60fps on PS4 or Xbox1.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I wonder if it's native 4k/1440p or reconstructed because native 1440p on the Series S seems very high unless they've also significantly reduced its graphics settings.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Laughs in 4090.

But seriously damn, why not give a 1080p 60fps option for Series X ? Does everybody have 4K screens now ?

Katajx

Gold Member
Name some AAA open world games from last gen that let you play at 60fps on PS4 or Xbox1
In terms of open world for that generation I don’t think there is any.

I did go off topic a bit since this is open world and it’s a Bethesda game.

In the PS4/X1 generation the options got better with differing modes, admittedly because of the refresh.

This generation has taken that a step further. Having said all of that, I am not surprised nor do I ever expect a Bethesda game to release on a console at 60 fps.

Last edited:
I was absolutely floored by the presentation. This game looks mind blowing.

It's a shame though, I was seriously considering buying a Series X for this if it ran at 60fps.

I wasn't really expecting it to but I think they could pull it off with a 1440p or slightly lower resolution performance mode specifically for the Series X.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Having a content that can only be done the new system is the definition of a next gen.
Nothing shown was anything that is only possible on the newer consoles.

I think the game will be fantastic despite this.

Last edited:
This is a bullshit statement these days. Make it 40 with vrr. Many oled owners out there where 30 fps is not pretty to look at. Many high fidelity games run excellent at 40 fps. Don't want to play it on pc. Will wait for the ultimate super release in 5 years time and the next gen next gen patch. Gaming hasn't been to me lately what it has been in the pas 37 years so I'm not in a hurry.

Three

So why don’t you actually quote the people who were supposedly vehemently against 30fps and are now fine with this?
I was referring to you bud, and I wasn’t saying you were vehemently against 30fps. I was saying how you're turning lack of optimisation and performance options from Bethesda of all people into "complexity". With how much you were going on about lack of 60fps options in some other rival CPU heavy games you would think there would be less excuses for Bethesda who have never really been good at it even in their other games.

Oh, wait. You tried that with analog_future analog_future and he came with receipts to show he’s long been perfectly fine with 30fps.
How the hell do you "try that" by only ever replying to the post with said "receipts"? Don't be stupid, you must have me mixed up with somebody else.

I only ever replied to him saying I was glad he finally realised it's 30fps when he was claiming it was 60fps from trailers.

You on the other hand tried that with me suggesting I'm all of a sudden against 30fps when I'm not and never have been.

Last edited:
Top Bottom