• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Dragon's Dogma 2 Performance Review - PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs PC

Mister Wolf

Both PS5 and Series X run at 4K Interlaced. Input resolution is 1920 x 2160, 50% of 4K.
PS5 has superior image quality.
Series X runs slightly better. Barely worth mentioning due to its worse image quality.
Shared bandwidth is what's bottlenecking the consoles from hitting 60.
Don't even think about running it on your Steam Deck

Last edited:

Akuji

Tl;Dr?
Is ign a source that can be somewhat trusted with Performance reviews?

I only know their bad takes in reviews, lol

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
When picking which platform to play Dragon’s Dogma 2 on, be aware that PC players get the best choice of options, thanks to this being the first game from Capcom to ship with DLSS and FSR3, offering enhanced image quality over consoles. However, CPU and memory impacts remain the biggest cause for concern in performance, which highlights why the team has pushed settings and resolution as high as possible on the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S. No matter what, the frame rate is going to drop to sub-30fps when you’re in town, and so a closer hold to that benchmark with better image quality is their aim, rather than large spikes from 60 to 30 and degraded image quality the whole time. This is where they need to improve, as even at the lowest setting on PC we leave 70% or more GPU performance on the table and still run under 30fps. If I was a betting man I would suspect over the next two months or so patches will come that improve the consistency, if not the overall performance, across the board. If you’re sensitive to frame rate fluctuations it may be worth giving them that time before embarking on this majestic journey, because the performance issues that are along for the ride at the moment could be enough to ruin that adventure. – Michael Thompson, March 20, 2024

Stuart360

God the graphics are so dated. I stick to what i said earlier {which had some annoyed replies) as i played the PC version about a month ago, this game doesnt look much better, certainly not the hardware requirements with the orig game able to run on a patato.

Wooxsvan

holy crap he says Series S textures are equivalent to Low
0y8LDYL.png

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
First shit release from capcom in a long while.

Oddly enough the last blatantly bad pc version is DMC collection that I recall, and this is the DMC team at work, right?

Yikes.

Mister Wolf

It should have official support at launch according to nvidias CES 2024 announcements.

I'm sure they plan to, but it didn't make release. The game having Nvidia Reflex already is the tell tale sign. If Pure Dark can beat them to it, he will make a little cash.

Performance brought to you by the DooDooTrash™ Engine. They probably should have delayed this until further optimizations could be made, these are some pretty rough results.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Performance brought to you by the DooDooTrash™ Engine. They probably should have delayed this until further optimizations could be made, these are some pretty rough results.
Bruh. RE engine is a beast.

I 100% put the blame on the actual team here. They needed to delay, and they needed to ask the monster Hunter world team for advice.

Going from Devil may cry 5, to this, is a major leap and change from a world perspective on what you’re taking hardware to do.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I 100% put the blame on the actual team here. They needed to delay, and they needed to ask the monster Hunter world team for advice.

Going from Devil may cry 5, to this, is a major leap and change from a world perspective on what you’re taking hardware to do.

First open world RE engine game, it's a learning and expansion process. Unreal Engine 4 games still don't perform all that well on modern hardware and that engine has been around forever.

Last edited:

I know I know, it's good, RE4 Remake finally got patched to have decent performance on consoles, I am mostly just poking fun, this is on the dev team 100%.

Belthazar

They didn't learn the lesson from Jedi: Survivor in terms of not having forced RT at all times.

Have a Quality mode, cap it at 30 and enable all that. Turn RT off for a Performance mode.

The bottleneck in this case is mainly on the CPU, so disabling RT and other stuff wouldn't help much.

Game isn't finished for any platform. That series S is hilarious though, textures worse than the original, wtf. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also IGN's video quality is abysmal, why is it so washed out?

MH:World is Framework, not REngine.

Top Bottom