• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Assassin's Creed Mirage PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. PS5 and Xbox Series X very rarely render natively at 3840x2160 in Performance Mode. PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode use a form of temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering below this resolution.In some scenes the PS5 and Xbox Series X render at the same or a similar resolution in Performance Mode.

However, there were some scenes found where Xbox Series X had a resolution advantage over PS5. As an example, in one scene PS5 rendered at approximately 2588x1456 and Xbox Series X rendered at approximately 2716x1528. In another scene, PS5 rendered at approximately 2588x1456 and Xbox Series X rendered at approximately 2858x1608.

Xbox Series S in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1360x765. Xbox Series S in Performance Mode uses a form of temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering below this resolution.Xbox

Series S in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2880x1620 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2560x1440. Xbox Series S in Quality Mode uses a form of temporal upsampling that can reconstruct a 2880x1620 resolution when rendering below this resolution.

The only resolution found on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Quality Mode was 3840x2160.

Fire effects appear pixelated on PS5 in performance mode
Xbox Series S has reduced shadow quality compared to PS5 and Xbox Series X in both modes.
Quality mode improves shadow quality on all three consoles. PS5 and Xbox Series X also get improvements to level of detail and draw distance

MAiHSI6.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

Wow, these consoles are getting so close now. Awesome to see for everyone.

Yep, but this one paints the SX in an even better light than NXG or DF. Less than 0.5% performance difference with higher resolution and better fire effects.

They don't even mention the tearing, it's only 90 out of 23,000 frames. Less than 2 seconds of total capture.

Dare I say, another one . gif ?

Last edited:

Zuzu

It looks like a slight win for Series X if you have a VRR display. It has an ever so slightly lower frame rate than PS5 but better fire effects and sometimes renders at a higher resolution. It does have a lot more torn frames than PS5 though but still not that many considering how many frames it renders in the test.

But it’s really splitting hairs. Both versions are very similar.

Last edited:

Unknown?

It looks like a slight win for Series X if you have a VRR display. It has an ever so slightly lower frame rate than PS5 but better fire effects and sometimes renders at a higher resolution. It does have a lot more torn frames than PS5 though.

But it’s really splitting hairs. Both versions are very similar.
Ya, you wouldn't even be able to tell a difference even with both side by side on the same model of TV, that's pretty close!

Mr Moose

There is a difference. 1:03 (and 9:06 in quality mode) camera pan thing, PS5 has more... Something? It's darker in parts that aren't on Xbox.
friends-i-knew-it.gif

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

Vergil1992

In this case we could talk about a tie, or perhaps a small victory for XSX in terms of performance. It drops frames more frequently than PS5, but it has a slight advantage in resolution and some effects such as fire.

Considering that AC: Valhalla performed better in the PS5, this is a victory (optimization-wise) for Microsoft's machine. Not only has it equaled the PS5 version, but it has slightly surpassed it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

This should run at 4K in these consoles. Looks like a PS4 game.

Well, it is a cross-gen game after-all.

Also the DRS does go all the way to 2160p in liter moments. Means a PS5 Pro or Series Y will be running this at the top of DRS mostly.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2432x1368.

Topher

Gold Member
Yep, but this one paints the SX in an even better light than NXG or DF. Less than 0.5% performance difference with higher resolution and better fire effects.

They don't even mention the tearing, it's only 90 out of 23,000 frames. Less than 2 seconds of total capture.

Looks like minor differences regardless......yet again.

Darsxx82

There is no option for debate. Complete equality is difficult to achieve but this would be the closest when the hardware is not the same and different APIs are used.

VGtech giving solidity to the resolution and framerate compared to others by inventing % percentages of differences by "eye".

How does the story of the NXgamer threads change, DF, about the game, if the PS5 had a few more frames and less tearing it didn't matter and they were "the same", now that in "some scenes" the Xbox has a little more resolution they are no longer " equal" xDD

adamsapple

How does the story of the NXgamer threads change, DF, about the game, if the PS5 had a few more frames and less tearing it didn't matter and they were "the same", now that in "some scenes" the Xbox has a little more resolution they are no longer " equal" xDD

Yeah, the story certainly did change. For example, these posts are even more inaccurate in hindsight.

PS5 with better performance, without screen tearing and looking at those screenshots it even looks better.

It seems to be going a little better on PS5 and without tearing.

Vergil1992

Most people here have talked about a draw or a small victory for XSX.

In any case, it is not the same. What was said in the other threads is that it was practically identical performance, and both consoles had one-frame drops that caused tearing (adaptive vsync), but that on XSX it occurred more frequently. Apparently the cause of this is that the dynamic resolution did not adjust as quickly on XSX as it did on PS5.

The resolution thing is different. It is somewhat anecdotal, because the difference is not large or constant, but rather it is a difference in performance. There's also the fact that some alpha effects, like fire, appear to render at a higher resolution in XSX.

Anyway your comment doesn't make sense. Almost no one has said that XSX has a relevant advantage here. However, you said in the other thread that "on Ps5 it has a better frame rate and doesn't tear." Something that was completely false.

Edit: I see that someone else has noticed 😂

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Yeah, the story certainly did change. For example, these posts are even more inaccurate in hindsight.
They both tear a bit, does NX not show tears with the software used?
Anyway, it wasn't due to a different ToD what I noticed in the other vid, it's something else but I'm not sure what.
Screenshot-2023-10-10-at-13-17-48-Assassin-s-Creed-Mirage-PS5-vs-Xbox-Series-X-S-Frame-Rate-Comparis.png

adamsapple

Anyway, it wasn't due to a different ToD what I noticed in the other vid, it's something else but I'm not sure what.

Other than a slight difference in contrast, if these are supposed to be the same ToD, on the foreground tower, I don't see anything different. Even Series S is holding up remarkably well to PS5/SX.

Since the game has dynamic clouds ets, it's likely the PS5 version had different cloud coverage than Xbox hence the tower is lit a bit more dimmer.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Other than a slight difference in contrast, if these are supposed to be the same ToD, on the foreground tower, I don't see anything different. Even Series S is holding up remarkably well to PS5/SX.

Since the game has dynamic clouds ets, it's likely the PS5 version had different cloud coverage than Xbox hence the tower is lit a bit more dimmer.
Look in the distance.
It could be cloud shadows I guess but why is it on both PS5 modes and not on either Xboxs in that section? (it's the darker areas in the distance I am talking about btw).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Look in the distance.

They shadow draw distance is the same, the PS5 version just looks a bit cloudier, but again the game has dynamic systems like that. The Xbox version looks ever so slightly cleaner here to my eyes but that could be either the slightly higher DRS or just a difference in weather coverage.

It's anecdotal differences in visuals at best.

iR5wDmm.png

Last edited:

Vergil1992

It is curious that when doing a detailed pixel count, it is quite common for the Xbox Series X to have a slight advantage over the PS5. In another thread I remember that some forum member told me that it was not true, it is often said around here that DF is partial and defends Xbox "hiding" that the PS5 versions are superior, even Youtubers like "GamingTech" are used, which has led to apologize on several occasions for their incorrect metrics... but surely not doing the pixel counts correctly that benefits PS5 and not XSX.

VG Tech is often the one that puts the most exact metrics, one version next to the other and makes a pixel count that is very representative of reality. NXG does the same thing, but their personal interpretations are highly questionable in my opinion.

And this makes me wonder how many games will happen with what happened with AC: Mirage. For example, Mortal Kombat 1 according to DF has the same resolution and performance in both, but the elanalistadbits for example says that it has a higher average resolution in XSX. VG Tech does very little comparison analysis, but anyone who has been looking at their comparisons will notice that having a higher average resolution is much more common in XSX. It's usually a small difference, for example 1240p vs 1320p, or 1456p vs 1585p...

I'm not saying that they are always victorious versions. In many of them it has a better framerate on PS5, or it has no stuttering, or it has less stuttering. It's pretty common too.

DF has expressed on more than one occasion that resolution is only one part of IQ and that it is no longer that important. I agree with that. RE4R had the same or even lower in XSX (in performance mode, something VG Tech got right when NXG or DF got it wrong) and her IQ in XSX was much better, at least before being updated. But I wonder if that way of thinking causes them to no longer count pixels accurately.

I also don't like that now they don't put one version next to the other and we see the performance, and they only put random parts to explain it, but I interpret that it usually happens when they are versions that are more or less on par.

I don't blame them either, especially on the issue of resolution, as I have mentioned (and they do too), right now doing pixel counts is an extreme headache. There are games that have a VERY dynamic resolution, and to that is added FSR 2.0 and ALSO temporal reconstruction. I wouldn't want to be in your place!

But I think that in general, if you want to know which one has better performance (resolution and framerate) VG Tech is the best. If you want to know differences between graphic settings, DF. Likewise, I think we are facing the most equal generation of consoles in history. I don't think anyone could notice any of the differences we see here. Neither does XSX lose a frame more frequently nor does it have slightly higher resolution in some scenes.

Last edited:

Ps5 had 10 frames with tearing, does it mean it is 9x more powerful than Xbox Series X?
:0

Can't believe what I'm reading. "Win" are you guys serious? It's identical on both platforms.

There's actually a massive difference. You refuse to accept it because you own the system that's trash. Get used to it and stick with PC gaming.

:p

I'm just kidding. I believe they are pretty much identical except for those tiny differences that won't affect most people.

So one rarely has a tiny increase in resolution which no one could notice. The other has screen tearing you might notice or with VRR has lower fps you also won’t notice. It’s a draw.

It is curious that when doing a detailed pixel count, it is quite common for the Xbox Series X to have a slight advantage over the PS5. In another thread I remember that some forum member told me that it was not true, it is often said around here that DF is partial and defends Xbox "hiding" that the PS5 versions are superior, even Youtubers like "GamingTech" are used, which has led to apologize on several occasions for their incorrect metrics... but surely not doing the pixel counts correctly that benefits PS5 and not XSX.

VG Tech is often the one that puts the most exact metrics, one version next to the other and makes a pixel count that is very representative of reality. NXG does the same thing, but their personal interpretations are highly questionable in my opinion.

And this makes me wonder how many games will happen with what happened with AC: Mirage. For example, Mortal Kombat 1 according to DF has the same resolution and performance in both, but the elanalistadbits for example says that it has a higher average resolution in XSX. VG Tech does very little comparison analysis, but anyone who has been looking at their comparisons will notice that having a higher average resolution is much more common in XSX. It's usually a small difference, for example 1240p vs 1320p, or 1456p vs 1585p...

I'm not saying that they are always victorious versions. In many of them it has a better framerate on PS5, or it has no stuttering, or it has less stuttering. It's pretty common too.

DF has expressed on more than one occasion that resolution is only one part of IQ and that it is no longer that important. I agree with that. RE4R had the same or even lower in XSX (in performance mode, something VG Tech got right when NXG or DF got it wrong) and her IQ in XSX was much better, at least before being updated. But I wonder if that way of thinking causes them to no longer count pixels accurately.

I also don't like that now they don't put one version next to the other and we see the performance, and they only put random parts to explain it, but I interpret that it usually happens when they are versions that are more or less on par.

I don't blame them either, especially on the issue of resolution, as I have mentioned (and they do too), right now doing pixel counts is an extreme headache. There are games that have a VERY dynamic resolution, and to that is added FSR 2.0 and ALSO temporal reconstruction. I wouldn't want to be in your place!

But I think that in general, if you want to know which one has better performance (resolution and framerate) VG Tech is the best. If you want to know differences between graphic settings, DF. Likewise, I think we are facing the most equal generation of consoles in history. I don't think anyone could notice any of the differences we see here. Neither does XSX lose a frame more frequently nor does it have slightly higher resolution in some scenes.

I don't know it matters to you so much when the difference is tiny. Both systems are close and each one has strengths and weaknesses. These types of results are normal.

clintar

Screenshot-2023-10-10-at-13-17-48-Assassin-s-Creed-Mirage-PS5-vs-Xbox-Series-X-S-Frame-Rate-Comparis.png
You can definitely see there is no (cloud?) shadow on the city in that whole spin-around section, too.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Another Comparison, it's been over a week what could we possibly gain from ano.....
However, there were some scenes found where Xbox Series X had a resolution advantage over PS5
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Top Bottom