• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(VG Tech) Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth PS5 Frame Rate Comparison (Demo)

SkylineRKR

Have to see how the open parts look and play before we can say this could “totally run on PS4” because I find it hard to believe SE wouldn’t have released there too if they could.

Ofcourse PS4 can run it.

But just at a probably very low framerate, very long load times (Remake already had long load times on PS4) and probably 720p at its very best. And other effects dialed down.

Its not like PS4 didn't have its share of open world games.

Fabieter

Ofcourse PS4 can run it.

But just at a probably very low framerate, very long load times (Remake already had long load times on PS4) and probably 720p at its very best. And other effects dialed down.

Its not like PS4 didn't have its share of open world games.

Alot of "next gen" games would have been possible on older hardware on any generation with enough effort put in but it has to make economic sense to do so.

Let's stay on Playstation if naughty dog tried hard enough and pushed back enough effects and assets they would have easily made uc4 on ps3.

Shane89

The game it's not the best in quality, but it's a Final Fantasy, and it's Square Enix, they never developed a jaw dropping game. There is only one reason this game will sells like hotcakes. It's fu**ing Final Fantasy VII. It's that roman number that change everyhing. Who care about the graphics, the demo was amazing, all released trailers were amazing.

Kilau

Ofcourse PS4 can run it.

It’s not like PS4 didn't have its share of open world games.
Of course FF16 can run on PS4, they just need to compromise the experience completely.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have to see how the open parts look and play before we can say this could “totally run on PS4” because I find it hard to believe SE wouldn’t have released there too if they could.

They didn't release the Intergrade DLC on the PS4 version of the game, even though they had the damn game there already.

This looks like a cross-gen game through and through. Unless it suddenly turns into a completely different experience when you exit Kalm, which based on the pre-release footage, it doesn't exactly look much different than other open world games the PS4 has already had.

SkylineRKR

I think Square wanted a good reason to buy the game for full price again on PS5 and probably also get the audience there for its sequel. Intergrade wasn't a technical improvement over the base game, it was decent mind you, but you essentially only controlled 1 character.

Alot of "next gen" games would have been possible on older hardware on any generation with enough effort put in but it has to make economic sense to do so.

Let's stay on Playstation if naughty dog tried hard enough and pushed back enough effects and assets they would have easily made uc4 on ps3.

Ofcourse. There is no PS5 game that can't be done on PS4. Even Rift Apart might've been possible, but with rifts broken up by load times.

They would look and run worse, and load a fair bit more. I beat Witcher 3 on base PS4, the game could totally run that game but yeah I could take a dump during its fast travel times and the framerate was pants in crowded areas.
Of course FF16 can run on PS4, they just need to compromise the experience completely.

Completely? The PS4 has more ambitious games than FFXVI is. Sure, it would have a lower resolution and longer load times among some other things but I can't see how this game couldn't have been done on PS4. PS4 also plays games like Horizon 1 and 2 and Witcher 3 which are quite a bit bigger in scale than FFXVI.

Last edited:

Kilau

Ofcourse. There is no PS5 game that can't be done on PS4. Even Rift Apart might've been possible, but with rifts broken up by load times.

They would look and run worse, and load a fair bit more. I beat Witcher 3 on base PS4, the game could totally run that game but yeah I could take a dump during its fast travel times and the framerate was pants in crowded areas.

Completely? The PS4 has more ambitious games than FFXVI is. Sure, it would have a lower resolution and longer load times among some other things but I can't see how this game couldn't have been done on PS4. PS4 also plays games like Horizon 1 and 2 and Witcher 3 which are quite a bit bigger in scale than FFXVI.
Resolution is already an with this game but would be totally ok to go lower to make it a PS4 game, ok.

Ronin_7

Banned
No idea what happened here at the visual level but it's bad, really really bad. They need a new Tools Team.

It'll still be goty with 90+ Meta but damn

wvnative

People think I'm crazy but I thought Remake was gorgeous in MOST areas... especially on PS5.

My experience in Rebirth is not the same, the entire game looks not good to me, even the menus looks very soft to me, lighting seems poor, HDR looks washed out, there is noticeable pop up. Cloud's animations look jerkier to me when running compared to Remake. This feels like a downgrade in every regard across the board.

Feels like a very unusual lack of polish for a mainline FF, (yes, these remake games are budgeted and resourced as if they were mainline entries) Remake maybe wasn't perfect, but felt really consistent when just playing it, nice and colorful where it needed to be, good HDR, sharp AF menus, nice lighting effects especially in cutscenes.

This just...doesn't. Graphics don't make a game but these issues are distracting in what should be a AAA PS5 show piece.

StereoVsn

On this last part I agree. Unreal sucks.

Just look at EA WRC. They went to UE and you just know a PS5 enhanced Dirty Rally 2 would've looked better than this.
Yep, UE introduces all kinds of issues it seems.

Which is why I was very surprised when CDPR switched to UE5 vs their in house engine. As they say in Star Wars: “I have a bad feeling about this”.

For this game I just hope SE patches things up post release. They are just glacially slow on patches and quite often games don’t patched up at all. See Nier Automata on PC.

adamsapple

People think I'm crazy but I thought Remake was gorgeous in MOST areas... especially on PS5.

I think this will end up being the same as FFVII-R.

Any time you're at night time (Reactor, any sector at night, Wall Street) it looks gorgeous. But when it's day time and everything is overblown, the ugly textures become very obvious. The whole Orphanage area looks butt ugly, the whole chapter where you're running errands for Aerith in the day time etc, all that area looks bad, and even though they fixed most of it for the PS5 re-release, the climb up to the reactor in the final quarter of the game looks very ugly on the original PS4 version because of the low quality backdrops.

Last edited:

wvnative

I think this will end up being the same as FFVII-R.

Any time you're at night time (Reactor, any sector at night, Wall Street) it looks gorgeous. But when it's day time and everything is overblown, the ugly textures become very obvious. The whole Orphanage area looks butt ugly, the whole chapter where you're running errands for Aerith in the day time etc, all that area looks bad, and even though they fixed most of it for the PS5 re-release, the climb up to the reactor in the final quarter of the game looks very ugly on the original PS4 version because of the low quality backdrops.

You know I agree, it does look worse during day time segments. I often gloss over that because imo all of my fond memories of Remake were during night time sections. Maybe this will be gorgeous at night?

Do we know if there will be a day night cycle?

adamsapple

You know I agree, it does look worse during day time segments. I often gloss over that because imo all of my fond memories of Remake were during night time sections. Maybe this will be gorgeous at night?

Do we know if there will be a day night cycle?

I have not read that being mentioned in any preview so far. I'm gonna guess no.

Kilau

They didn't release the Intergrade DLC on the PS4 version of the game, even though they had the damn game there already.

This looks like a cross-gen game through and through. Unless it suddenly turns into a completely different experience when you exit Kalm, which based on the pre-release footage, it doesn't exactly look much different than other open world games the PS4 has already had.
They used Intermission to get people to pay for an upgrade that was free on PS4.

Ultimately the DLC and this game are still UE4 and share the same elements so they will be comparable. But again, let’s see how the open part looks and plays before we make such definitive conclusions.

SkylineRKR

Yes Remake didn't look that great in daytime and the skyboxes were horrible. On top of the already very small and linear design. A lot of textures were repeated as well. I couldn't really take the areas apart. I found Remake to be a rather bad game in general. Its saving grace for me was the combat and music, and nostalgia beats. I hated its exploration and padding. It was full on window dressing with barely anything to do. Broken up in chapters so you could miss side quests and items permanently (until you beat the game) etc.

I did enjoy it more in Hard mode, but I did skip all the on rail sections and a lot of cutscenes. They really padded out everything they could, the Air Buster lead up, the mandatory coliseum fights, Leslie's shit, the plate lights, the train graveyard and that fucking lab.

Go_Ly_Dow

Okay cool so the framerate looks really stable and the resolution is actually a lot higher than many were speculating. So it's the post processing as John Linneman stated that's causing the game to look not as sharp as it potentially could in the performance mode. Hopefully this will be fine tuned or patched to improve it in the final release as it's probably more malleable to late changes than rejigging the resolution. Either way I'll go with the quality mode as I appreciate a crisp image.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep, UE introduces all kinds of issues it seems.

Which is why I was very surprised when CDPR switched to UE5 vs their in house engine. As they say in Star Wars: “I have a bad feeling about this”.

For this game I just hope SE patches things up post release. They are just glacially slow on patches and quite often games don’t patched up at all. See Nier Automata on PC.
This is on the devs fucking up. Not Unreal Engine. These same devs made FF7 Remake and its PS5 version just a couple of years ago. The PS4 version looked fine and had a few texture streaming bugs which were cleared up on the PS5. This is something else. this is sheer incompetence.

CD Project were right to move to UE5 because it is impossible for a team of 500 devs to maintain their own engine with the tech moving so fast. You need programmers to help designers and artists create the actual game. Then you need programmers to build or retool the engine for next gen. Why? just borrow what Epic's engineers are doing and build off of that instead of starting from scratch. it's a smart choice and i wish more first party devs did this. Sony studios are even smaller with 100 person teams at Sony bend, sucker punch and 200-400 person teams at ND, SSM and GG. A rockstar developer said that there were like 30 graphics programmers over at ND when he worked there. At rockstar, there was a team of 30 graphics programmers incharge of updating one thing like climbing or running. Not everyone has the resources of Epic or Rockstar.
On this last part I agree. Unreal sucks.

Just look at EA WRC. They went to UE and you just know a PS5 enhanced Dirty Rally 2 would've looked better than this.
you cant look at one game made by trash devs who never made a good looking game on their old engine. driveclub and forza horizon take a shit on their dirt rally games.

Good studios can extract something out of every engine, and UE is no exception. I feel like i made this post just a few weeks ago.

Fake edit: yes, i did in the wrc df tech review thread lmao. I even included FF7 as an example of a good looking UE4 game. Crazy how much they have fucked it up.

UE4 is incredible in the right hands and UE5 is even better.

UE4
fCWiGOW.gif

1C8buZT.gif

stray-1.gif

FINAL+FANTASY+VII+REMAKE+DEMO_20200302120928.gif

Snow.gif

UE5
Been playing Star wars recently and thats a UE4 game too.

QDzhjXU.gif

Deen

Neo Member
Cloud looks like a 10 year old in Rebirth.
Well he was I think 5 years younger in the flashback, so I think they used a different model to show that, but most of the screenshots here look bad because of the UE4 lightning issues, which were also present in FF7 Remake.

Go_Ly_Dow

Can't wait to see what excuse you'll pull out in a few weeks when the game launches like that in performance mode.
What do you mean? The tech analysis here is showing basically a locked 60fps, isn't that the purpose of a performance mode? Unlike the disaster that was Star Wars. Also a much higher resolution than many thought. Whilst not perfect it's perfectly playable for framerate purists..

Lethal01

no need to wait we already got tons of footage of outside Kalm

Last edited:
I expect 16 by this summer making it one year since release on PS5.

I think it will be 2-3 months after the second DLC's release (which doesn't have a final date IIRC). End of Summer/September is a decent bet.

Pretty sure Square has said there won't be any Rebirth DLC (probably because they are going to move them straight to Part 3) but you never know.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Can't wait to see what excuse you'll pull out in a few weeks when the game launches like that in performance mode.

Well I eat crow I hope guys like you write a letter to the devs with a personal excuse to make up for the shitshow.

Performance mode really looks like ass

but Quality mode looks good. It feels like the smoothest 30 fps game I've played, almost like 60 fps. FF7R was never going to be a game where everything looks 100% next gen

The game can still look good overall. Great art style, characters, etc.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My issue is. These devs need to own it, if they can't make a 60fps mode. They are using it to stop people complaining but not doing a good enough job. Ff xvi performance was a straight up scam, you could see that was never intended to have a 60fps mode, they clearly panicked about the backlash and just turned on an unlocked framerate mode.

This, they've got it to 60 by doing some god awful lazy work and just dropped settings or done something terrible with the post processing. There's no way 1080p should look that blurry.

I hope its fixed for launch, or square have the ability to get this out on PC earlier than I had hoped becuase I'm not playing this at 30fps and if I can crank the resolution up on PC, it will hopefully fix the issue.

My issue is. These devs need to own it, if they can't make a 60fps mode. They are using it to stop people complaining but not doing a good enough job. Ff xvi performance was a straight up scam, you could see that was never intended to have a 60fps mode, they clearly panicked about the backlash and just turned on an unlocked framerate mode.

This, they've got it to 60 by doing some god awful lazy work and just dropped settings or done something terrible with the post processing. There's no way 1080p should look that blurry.

I hope its fixed for launch, or square have the ability to get this out on PC earlier than I had hoped becuase I'm not playing this at 30fps and if I can crank the resolution up on PC, it will hopefully fix the issue.
You‘re demanding 60fps at any cost and then complaining about the cost.

The demo looks gorgeous and runs great in my experience having played the full thing right through from start to finish yesterday which took around 1.5 hours. The art style is gorgeous and I like that it stays true to the visuals of the first part for a consistent look, which is probably where those "looks last gen" comments are coming from. A game doesn't have to have cutting-edge visuals to look great in my book. I mean Persona 5 Royal is a stylish and great looking game but it is hardly pushing graphical boundaries.

Senua

Yep and performance in EA WRC is shit. I have no idea why they dropped their tried and true in-house engine for this inferior piece of trash.
Their excuse was they wanted larger stages and the Ego engine didn't support that. I don't see why they couldn't update their engine but hey I'm no dev.

Top Bottom