• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Tekken 8 PS5 Frame Rate Test (Demo)

NT80

Honestly other than a higher resolution does it look THAT much better than Tekken 6 or Tag Tournament 2? I've said before that graphical improvements have stalled since the early 2010s and the extra horsepower from subsequent generations is largely just going on higher resolutions.
The level of upgrade has been smaller in recent sequels. Tekken 3 PS1 to Tekken Tag 1 PS2 was huge so were Soul Blade PS1 to Soul Calibur on Dremacast and Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn to VF3 on DC. Tekken 8 however seems like a bigger upgrade than 7 (PS4) was to 6 (PS3) and 6 was to 5 (PS2) so an improvement on the more recent games.

Last edited:

NT80

This could have been a cross-gen game.
If this game is going to be around for 5/6 years I'm glad it isn't. I don't know if that would limit what they might try to do with new stages/effects etc. There's also what there trying to do with the AI.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Fighting game runs at 60fps.

Pretends To Be Shocked Fake Shock GIF by AIDES

Crayon

Fsr1 is just a little upscale and sharpening. Using fsr2 is not necessarily an upgrade. They do different things. The naming does not make that very clear.

mrcroket

Fsr1 is just a little upscale and sharpening. Using fsr2 is not necessarily an upgrade. They do different things. The naming does not make that very clear.
A more crisp image and less blurriness is probably a good choice for a fighting game, also the internal resolution is high enough to present a very decent IQ.

Crayon

A more crisp image and less blurriness is probably a good choice for a fighting game, also the internal resolution is high enough to present a very decent IQ.

Also, anti-aliasing. I've used fsr1 a lot by forcing it on in games and it's fine for smaller resolution jumps. I typically used it to scale games from 1152 -> 1440 while I was wringing the last drops of life from a 570 and it looked good enough. Even then, the game's aa had a major impact. So games with better aa could survive a bigger res jump just like any other scaler.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
After 50 hrs and platinuming MK1, all i know is that this Tekken 8 demo had more love and care and more single player things to do than the full release MK1

Spyxos

Gold Member
It looks good, but nothing that would blow me away. The story presentation is pretty cool. Unfortunately only 1 story level. And only characters in the demo that I don't play.

I just don't understand what about the game is so super demanding.

It uses UE5
I think you answered your own question. I don't understand why every UE5 game runs so poorly. Immortals of Aveum greatly suffered for this. Jusant was UE5, but basically used shaded polygons, so it performed fine. Even UE4 games are a blight on the PC, with hitching and shader stuttering.

UE has been a blessing and curse for the industry.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Xbox version's video is up

Similar performance while Series X has less drops and runs at a higher DRS.

Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be rare and pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be very rare. Xbox Series X appears to be using FSR 1 to upscale to 3840x2160.

It seems that Xbox Series X tends to render at a higher resolution than PS5. As an example, during one scene PS5 rendered at approximately 2418x1360 and Xbox Series X rendered at approximately 2581x1452. However, there were also a few scenes where they were rendering at approximately the same resolution.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1152x648. Pixel counts at 1152x648 seem to be rare. Xbox Series S appears to be using FSR 1 to upscale to 1920x1080.

Combined charts of the PS5 and Series versions from their 2 videos.

RNIu0hy.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom