• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Vg Tech] Forza Motorsport Xbox Series X & Xbox Series S Frame Rate Comparison

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The version tested was 1.494.4196.0 and 1.488.4138.0.

Timestamps:
0:00 - Xbox Series X
8:28 - Xbox Series S

Xbox Series X in Visuals Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2560x1440. Xbox Series X in Visuals Mode seems to typically render at 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2560x1440. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode seems to typically render at 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X in Performance RT Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1920x1080. Performance RT Mode renders at 3840x2160 less often than the other two modes on Xbox Series X.

Xbox Series X in all three modes uses a form of temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering below this resolution.

Xbox Series S in Visuals Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1706x960. In Visuals Mode Xbox Series S seems to typically render at 2560x1440. Xbox Series S in Visuals Mode uses a form of temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering below this resolution.

Xbox Series S in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. In Performance Mode Xbox Series S seems to typically render at 1920x1080. Xbox Series S in Performance Mode uses a form of temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering below this resolution.

Xbox Series X in Visuals Mode and Performance RT Mode features ray traced reflections between cars and a form of ray traced ambient occlusion. Visuals Mode on Xbox Series X additionally has trackside ray traced reflections. Xbox Series S doesn't feature any form of ray tracing in either mode during gameplay.

Xbox Series X has improvements to texture quality compared to Xbox Series S https://bit.ly/3Sa2CNm

The Performance Mode on Xbox Series S seems to have some cutbacks compared to the Visuals Mode on Series S in areas such as: shadows, reflections and foliage https://bit.ly/45FDjpO

The Visuals Mode on both consoles can have additional trackside objects compared to the Performance Modes https://bit.ly/3tECznj

Instances of pixelation were seen on both consoles which seem to be the result of VRS. This pixelation was seen most often on Series S in Performance Mode and Series X in both Performance Mode and Visuals Mode. This pixelation was found the least often on Series X in Performance RT Mode https://bit.ly/45P1u4V

PlatformsSeries X Perf RT ModeSeries X Perf ModeSeries X Visuals ModeSeries S Perf ModeSeries S Visuals Mode
Frame Amounts
Game Frames3040030400152003040015200
Video Frames3040030400304003040030400
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames00000
Lowest Torn Line-----
Frame Height21602160216021602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms16.67ms33.33ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms16.67ms33.33ms
Maximum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms16.67ms33.33ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms16.67ms33.33ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms16.67ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms33.33ms16.67ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate60fps60fps30fps60fps30fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps30fps60fps30fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps30fps60fps30fps
Minimum Frame Rate60fps60fps30fps60fps30fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps30fps60fps30fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate60fps60fps30fps60fps30fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms30400 (100%)30400 (100%)0 (0%)30400 (100%)0 (0%)
33.33ms0 (0%)0 (0%)15200 (100%)0 (0%)15200 (100%)

Riky

$MSFT
The most next gen feature is actually the physics model with the points of tyre contact etc which last gen games simply don't have. Series S has that complete so they've done a great job.
Also interesting that as I suspected the Tier 2 VRS is incredibly well done here as DF didn't even mention it, it must help freeing up resources for the two RT features.
Great work by Turn 10.

Unknown?

The most next gen feature is actually the physics model with the points of tyre contact etc which last gen games simply don't have. Series S has that complete so they've done a great job.
Also interesting that as I suspected the Tier 2 VRS is incredibly well done here as DF didn't even mention it, it must help freeing up resources for the two RT features.
Great work by Turn 10.
Nope, it's in a pretty poor state right now visually, but that's likely due to bugs that will get patched out.

Making it look like a last gen game helps. The last gen games didn't drop frames either btw, on much weaker hardware. It's a good thing, but let's not heap too much praise on them here. It should be the minimum expected.

This right here. With low quality RT reflections, and not the ultra-high bullshot that they advertised, the game looks worse than even FM7 in a lot of ways.

But T10 has always been good with hitting their rendering budget and delivering consistent FPS.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not a single dropped or torn frame across all of the devices and modes.

PKqL9Y2.jpg

sawyer-james-ford.gif

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned

xsMXYyu.jpg

Logic is in short supply in this thread. If a game renders graphics which look little or no better than the last gen version which managed a flawless 60fps on a Jaguar CPU and base Xbox One, it is no particularly impressive feat if the much more powerful Series hardware also manages the same feat. Those games also managed it without the crutch of FSR. We know from the graphics comparison thread that FM 2023 has worse grass (which is rendered in gameplay, so 'I don't use that driving angle' is not a gotcha) and worse road textures among other things. Is it good that it does flawless 60fps, yes, but it isn't some amazing feat. This ought to be pretty obvious, but apparently is hard for some to understand.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Nice video. Also, no dropped frames is amazing.

Pretty damn impressive! Turn 10 delivered again, at least in this regard, they never disappoint in the performance department. This is a framerate analysis thread and this dude is cross posting a grass screenshot from the PC version. The hate is strong with that dude, he's on an anti Forza crusade!

djjinx2

Pretty damn impressive! Turn 10 delivered again, at least in this regard, they never disappoint in the performance department. This is a framerate analysis thread and this dude is cross posting a grass screenshot from the PC version. The hate is strong with that dude, he's on an anti Forza crusade!
No need for the bullshit post I agree, but he's not anti Forza

Elysium44

Banned

The grass looks the same on Xbox. I'm not on any crusade, just pointing out the game doesn't look that good, as many others have. It plays well and the performance is good. It looks mediocre so good performance should be expected and not treated as if the developers have pulled off some amazing feat.

Senua

Very nice performance on console. Shame about pc performance which just isn't good enough. The game is very single threaded which is baffling

Elysium44

Banned
Agree with the agreed lol.

I should rephrase, he's on a tirade over the PC version and cross posting from the comparison thread. This one is a framerate analysis, not sure what he wants here.

Do you understand context? I provided proof of my assertion it doesn't look next gen which is why it should be expected it runs well. Someone posted a 'stop posting' meme, as if to say I was wrong to say it looks last gen.

It isn't complicated. But I see that you may not be able to understand. Yes it's a framerate analysis. What the game looks like, determines the framerate it can do. That's how it works.

Last edited:

acm2000

ive always hated how sterile GT looks and feels, i think its due to the weird way the track rotates around the car and the near total lack of visual feedback of the bumps/car control but damn they are still king of the models/material shaders, no one else comes close.

forza can look stunning at times, but then last gen at others but the feel is amazing as usual especially with a controller and sim steering on, you can actually see and feel the fight to keep the car on track along with the bumps and unevenness of the surface.

Bry0

ive always hated how sterile GT looks and feels, i think its due to the weird way the track rotates around the car and the near total lack of visual feedback of the bumps/car control but damn they are still king of the models/material shaders, no one else comes close.

forza can look stunning at times, but then last gen at others but the feel is amazing as usual especially with a controller and sim steering on, you can actually see and feel the fight to keep the car on track along with the bumps and unevenness of the surface.
What you are describing is probably a result of the camera being locked behind the car, I always preferred this as it’s makes driving in 3rd person easier as you always know where the front of the car is pointing. They actually made this adjustable in an update so you can “loosen” the camera up so it behaves more like forza.

JackMcGunns

Do you understand context? I provided proof of my assertion it doesn't look next gen which is why it should be expected it runs well. Someone posted a 'stop posting' meme, as if to say I was wrong to say it looks last gen.

It isn't complicated. But I see that you may not be able to understand. Yes it's a framerate analysis. What the game looks like, determines the framerate it can do. That's how it works.

The irony! Posting a random screenshot of a weird angle showing a persective no one drives using, is the definition "missing context" which is also a thing.

Full context: Forza does have its flaws, but where it gets things right, it does it in spades. The video comparison I posted highlights a situation where Forza makes GT7 look like a last gen game, that's how amazing Forza can get, and they got there with framerate perfection, so to dismiss what Turn 10 has done in that regard and claim the framerate was achieved by making a last gen looking game is disengenous. Hard work and prioritizing framerate perfection is how they got there, if you think making an ugly game is the secret to better framerate, look no further than Redfall which looks like a turd and also runs like a turd (until the recent patch) so get a clue, a game can look bad while also run bad. Your logic is flawed, and just flat out wrong about Forza's visuals to boot.

acm2000

What you are describing is probably a result of the camera being locked behind the car, I always preferred this as it’s makes driving in 3rd person easier as you always know where the front of the car is pointing. They actually made this adjustable in an update so you can “loosen” the camera up so it behaves more like forza.
nah i play exclusively cockpit view in racing games, theres just a much better and more satisfying audio/visual feedback of the car and track

MarkMe2525

I would agree that the games visuals do not blow me away, but I disagree that you provided proof of anything. Every game uses low quality assets in places, that are not normally closely inspected, in effort to optimize performance. Finding such an example in any particular game would not be proof of the quality of the visuals, as a whole, in either direction.

acm2000

Tire sounds in the cockpit view in the new forza are excellent
wasnt till i tried playing with headphones the other day that i really appreciated how good the audio work is although had to turn the volume down cause it felt like my brain was going to explode

BigLee74

What perspective is that? are you racing or grazing?

Here's a better persepective, and while we're at it, compare it to the competition:

At times, definitely generational!

Fair play to GT7 though, the Camaro dash has the headlights and full-beam indicators lit - now that is attention to detail!

Top Bottom