• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Tekken 8 PS5 Frame Rate Test (Demo)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 1920x1080. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be very rare. PS5 appears to be using FSR 1 to upscale to 3840x2160.

During regular matches the resolution seems to usually be closer to 2880x1620 than either the upper or lower bounds. Story mode in the demo is more demanding than regular matches and the resolution tends to be lower than in regular matches

PlatformsPS5
Frame Amounts
Game Frames30708
Video Frames30781
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames0
Lowest Torn Line-
Frame Height2160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.71ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate59.86fps
Median Frame Rate60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps
Minimum Frame Rate48fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate59fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate56fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms30635 (99.76%)
33.33ms73 (0.24%)

Rheon

I just don't understand what about the game is so super demanding.

It uses UE5, but no UE5 tech like Nanite or Lumen.

And framerate being a priority over anything else for a fighting game makes sense. Just hope PC can at least output natively without upscaling.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just can't care for long story modes like this in fighting games, complete with QTEs apparently. Just go back to the old school an-ending-per-character for the arcade mode. They can keep some scenes as shown here for rival/special matches as Street Fighter/King of Fighters etc. used to do anyway.

Last edited:

Rheon

When I think about it more it may not be that bad of a choice if they have decent TAA, FSR1 won't produce ghosting and motion fizzle like FSR2.

What they SHOULD use is temporal upscaler build in UE4.

The funny thing is the TAA implementation is pretty dogshit, there’s lots of ghosting and artifacting going on.

Rheon

I just can't care for long story modes like this in fighting games, complete with QTEs apparently. Just go back to the old school an-ending per character for the arcade mode. They can keep some scenes as shown here for rival/special matches as Street Fighter/King of Fighters etc. used to do anyway.

They have the Arcade mode with endings per character as well as the Story mode shown in the video.

Edmund

I just can't care for long story modes like this in fighting games, complete with QTEs apparently. Just go back to the old school an-ending-per-character for the arcade mode. They can keep some scenes as shown here for rival/special matches as Street Fighter/King of Fighters etc. used to do anyway.

They do have the old school an ending per character arcade mode. It's just not in the demo.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They have the Arcade mode with endings per character as well as the Story mode shown in the video.
Oh, that's cool, thanks.
They do have the old school an ending per character arcade mode. It's just not in the demo.
Oh, that's neat, thanks.

God damn will VF just never catch up with these production values, LOL.

I still think that shit is unecessary though. Unless they go full crazy and make such a story mode for every character. But it'd still be an one-time-thing per character as it's now an one-time-thing per game, I just think they could put these resources in other things (outfoxies/soulcalibur, lol).

Make a Tekken character action game or something if they wanna show a continuous story/progression thing, it could be pretty fun keeping some of the mechanics like the left/right fist/foot control in a third person and some of the same move types and combos different to other games.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Wow, even fighting games can't go for a consistent high quality IQ + framerate nowadays?

This is no different to previous Tekken games in this regard, they evidently always prefer to max out the hardware when possible and make compromises for the competitive mode. I assume if we were to get locked 4k60 it would look like a PS4 game. Then again it seems to anyway, so...

nowhat

Sony has developed their own DLSS like tech according to the leaks so Yes you're getting DLSS in all it's glory but name.
...which is why you're not getting DLSS. You're getting the Sony tech (and I'm skeptical that it will be automatic, more likely will need patching from devs to work).

Elysium44

Banned
I can see late PS4, but to say this game has PS3-level graphics is insanity.

Honestly other than a higher resolution does it look THAT much better than Tekken 6 or Tag Tournament 2? I've said before that graphical improvements have stalled since the early 2010s and the extra horsepower from subsequent generations is largely just going on higher resolutions.

Rheon

Honestly other than a higher resolution does it look THAT much better than Tekken 6 or Tag Tournament 2?

Well, yes. It looks miles ahead of even Tekken 7.
WVishDE.jpg

midnightAI

Honestly other than a higher resolution does it look THAT much better than Tekken 6 or Tag Tournament 2? I've said before that graphical improvements have stalled since the early 2010s and the extra horsepower from subsequent generations is largely just going on higher resolutions.
Well, yes, MUCH better than Tekken 6, I think your memory needs replacing.

Elysium44

Banned
Well, yes, MUCH better than Tekken 6, I think your memory needs replacing.

Or we have a different opinion. The generational improvements have stalled other than resolution imo. Look at the leaps from PS1 - PS2 - PS3. Then after that what has improved really? The amount of horsepower needed to internally render at 4k is enormous. We should have stayed with 1080p, we never scratched the surface of maxing out the potential of 1080p. Not until games looked literally like the best blu-ray movie you ever saw, but running at 60fps.

midnightAI

Or we have a different opinion. The generational improvements have stalled other than resolution imo. Look at the leaps from PS1 - PS2 - PS3. Then after that what has improved really? The amount of horsepower needed to internally render at 4k is enormous. We should have stayed with 1080p, we never scratched the surface of maxing out the potential of 1080p. Not until games looked literally like the best blu-ray movie you ever saw, but running at 60fps.
You mean except the improvement in resolution, effects, models, environments, textures, physics, framerates, additions of things like raytracing and much more? yeh, nothing has improved since PS3.

Elysium44

Banned
You mean except the improvement in resolution, effects, models, environments, textures, physics, framerates, additions of things like raytracing and much more? yeh, nothing has improved since PS3.
In your effort to tell me I'm 'wrong' you even skipped over where I explained about the resolution. Also I didn't say 'nothing has improved' so don't put words in my mouth.

midnightAI

In your effort to tell me I'm 'wrong' you even skipped over where I explained about the resolution. Also I didn't say 'nothing has improved' so don't put words in my mouth.
No, you said it has stalled, stalled means nothing has changed or has severely slowed down, which it hasnt (it has slowed to some degree as there are no giant leaps any more compared to PS1 to PS2 for example)

You are honestly looking at the image posted by R Rheon and saying there is not much difference between Tekken 6 and Tekken 8 other than resolution? You are saying that with a straight face? Just look at the hair alone, I bet there are more polys in a single Tekken 8 character than there are in the entire scene from Tekken 6

Edmund

I deleted Tekken 7 right after I played the tekken 8 closed network test. It is just that good. Playing the beta only made me believe that it's gonna be the best fighting game this gen. And the game looks freaking gorgeous.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Character models look so much better compared to Tekken 8, but the stage backgrounds are seeing the move improvements. So much detail compared to Tekken 7 and Tekken Tag 2.

When you played Tekken Tag Tournament 2 online, background objects had to be removed just to make the game functional.

cXmXHL0.png

LDWoFRL.png

This is probably the most detailed background in Tekken 7 when it comes to the number of objects being displayed on screen.

TUvgwZO.png

You can see how much more detailed the backgrounds are in this game.

oAYlq2I.png

6OeSMxf.png

Tekken 7 is almost a 10 year old game (if you count Arcade) and the level of detail that increased since Tekken 7 is noticeable.

CGNoire

This is no different to previous Tekken games in this regard, they evidently always prefer to max out the hardware when possible and make compromises for the competitive mode. I assume if we were to get locked 4k60 it would look like a PS4 game. Then again it seems to anyway, so...
It does look like a PS4 game.

Darsxx82

I think there is an improvement over Tekken 7, but fighting games stopped being references for generational graphical leaps a long time ago.

That said, it's not the graphics that bother me, it's the loss of personality, change of setting to current fashions, excessive paraphernalia... It's not the Tekken that I would like.

Fabieter

People tend to forget how games looked previously. I recently went back to final fantasy xv and couldn't believe it always looked this "bad". I remember me thinking it's the best looking game ever. You are just getting used to better graphics like instantly. It's the same with tvs i upgraded from a a nano86 to a qn95c and the difference we're min blowing but Iam already got used to all the improvements.

//DEVIL//

Get Out Wtf GIF by ZIP ZIP

I play fighting games for their story. It connects me to the game deeper than just a bland arcade fighting game that has no character story or meaning of why they fighting.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Might just be the first fighting game I buy in 15 years, everything looks great. I just wish I knew what the fuck was going on in the story. I get many "I am your father" vibes.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Look at God of War 3, then back at this shit. Two characters and a small arena should be approaching CGI graphics by now.
These arenas are not small. The ones in Tekken 8 are probably as big as many gameplay sections in video games.

On top of all of this, the game has to run at a locked 60fps.

Top Bottom