• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls 6: Todd Howard Admits Upcoming Sequel Could Be His Last

Draugoth

Gold Member
Todd Howard says he might not be alive to finish TES VII working at Bethesda for TES VII

Speaking to IGN ahead of Starfield Direct, 52-year-old Howard discussed the length of time it takes for Bethesda Game Studios to make its games.

“And then as we look to an Elder Scrolls 6, that is one where... I probably shouldn't say this. But if I do the math, I'm not getting any younger. How long do people play Elder Scrolls for? That may be the last one I do. I don't know.”

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I want to be playing games at 80. Idk how old that’ll make some of these well known video game designers though. The guy could probably retire after TESVI and enjoy his life. I bet TESVI will sell millions or billions.

He says it may be the last one he does because people are going to be playing Elder Scrolls VI for a long time. He's saying it's another Skyrim where it's probably going to be played for a decade and still get people excited.

I mean either Skyrim is lightning in a bottle or he's going to continue the legacy and it'll probably be a very long time before Elder Scrolls VII.

Stuart360

He said his last Elder Scrolls, not his last game. he specifically made that point clear, and he's right really if you think another 6 years for ES6, then another 6 years for Fallout 5, then Starfield 2 possibly. He'd be like 70 by the time Elder Scrolls 7 is about to start.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I would love before he retires he does a goodbye video/ show and at the end he says he's launching one more game and everyone gets hyped but it's just another Skyrim Remaster and he just walks off

ZoukGalaxy

I will miss him to be honest. Be our hero, make games until you die in a battle.

Come At Me Bring It GIF by Game of Thrones

Last edited:

Kacho

Always figured this would happen. These games take way too long to make and he's getting up in years. Most of this forum is probably late 30s early 40s. Our legends are about to mass retire.

ryzen1

Man it took 25 years to make Starfield.
I expect at least 30 years of development for this one. So yeah hes over 80 by then

YukiOnna

Realizing AAA game development is extending longer and longer and the creators I follow are in their 50+ is a pretty sad thought.

Always figured this would happen. These games take way too long to make and he's getting up in years. Most of this forum is probably late 30s early 40s. Our legends are about to mass retire.
Man you guys are fossils. I won't think I'm old anymore.

Dude is 52 years old. Let's say it takes him another 5-6 years to make the next Elder Scrolls. So he'll be 57-58. Then he'll probably want to make another Fallout, or Starfield 2, or something. He'll definitely be past 65 before he can come back around to TES. So yeah, TES6 definitely might be his last. Let the man rest.

Bkdk

Likely the reason why they announced elder scrolls 6 back in 2018, Todd knows it would perhaps be his last project that he leads and he is very sure that he would want elder scrolls 6 to end his career at Bethesda.

JayK47

Well maybe if they make single player games instead of MMOs, it could happen. How old is Skyrim now? Almost 12 years old? Wow.

Minsc

Gold Member
Many people will not be alive for TES VII, it's actually kinda scary to think about it. Assuming it comes out around 2050, around 1.75 billion people will not be around to play it.

Elysion

Banned
At this rate we might see a 20 year gap between TES 5 and 6 lol. Between Starfield, TES and Fallout, they have to give at least one of those franchises to another studio, or create a separate team or something, otherwise we’re gonna be lucky if we get new entries once per decade.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m glad TES is coming after Starfield rather than Fallout.

Todd is right, it’ll be his last one.

His loss will be as significant as Miyazaki’s would be to From. The studio will become a shadow of its former self.

Quantum253

Todd Howard says he might not be alive to finish TES VII working at Bethesda for TES VII

Speaking to IGN ahead of Starfield Direct, 52-year-old Howard discussed the length of time it takes for Bethesda Game Studios to make its games.
He'll probably be almost 60 by the time it releases. Good time to pass the reins to the next generation

Quantum253

I’m glad TES is coming after Starfield rather than Fallout.

Todd is right, it’ll be his last one.

His loss will be as significant as Miyazaki’s would be to From. The studio will become a shadow of its former self.
Todd will be sitting on his porch in a lost state of mind, drinking homemade lemonade, and reminiscing with his grandchildren as they sit around his feet. "You know Toddy Jr. You can do and be anything you want when you grow up. You see that mountain in the distance, it's not just there, you can actually walk to it. You see that moon in the sky, it's actually orbiting the planet, you can fly there". Toddy Jr: Whatever you say grandpa.

hussar16

the time betweeen 5 and 6 is tooo long anyway ,i think the tech now has advanced where it should take 5 years max for 7 one.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This makes me sad as im mostly on ps5 and no games are coming there anymore. I have a series s and a pc but the kids steal my pc and the series s.

He's been there since late Terminator Future Shock development, and over the years after Morrow became the face of the company. Bethesda has been one of the most innovative companies in the industry pushing the tech and medium forward but people can't see that as long as people keep posting arrow memes and associating the company with Todds PR.

it may be for the best for him to go just so developers are less incentivized against giving credit to all the hardworkers at the studio all these years. Issues surrounding him are why people barely know about the groundbreaking Terminator games in the first place along with his insistence on not talking about them or making them accessible for a long time.

Ansphn

Makes sense when Skyrim came out a decade ago. This Elder Scrolls will come out 2026-2027 so the next one will come out 2036-2037. The man will definitely be retired by then...

Last edited:

Braag

I know people clown on Todd but he made some of the most memorable games of my early teens and even adult life. Dude's a legend and I hope MS finds a way to keep him around for a few more games.

Top Bottom