• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: The Elder Scrolls 6 Still 'Five+ Years Away', PlayStation Version Undecided. Doesn’t recall saying it will be exclusive

93xfan

Banned
It better fucking be all of Tamriel after 15 (or more) years.
So you think they’ve been working on Wlder Scrolls 6 for 15 years? Obviously they haven’t. They’ve been making other games in that time. but I just want to clarify that that’s what you think.

I’m just curious to how your thought process works.

lol in 5 years when it’s out and exclusive no one it will just be that it wasn’t viable to put it on PlayStation if Phil’s even still there when it comes out. Only live service games like cod Minecraft eso fallout 76 overwatch will keep going on PlayStation Microsoft is going to wall garden everything else.

Not surprising but it's a joke that it has taken so long. Why is Bethesda so slow at releasing games? Fallout 4 was their last major game and that is 8 years old.

Elder Scrolls VI is a late next gen game :messenger_fearful:

As for exclusivity, should be Xbox/PC only. It's their biggest game and if they aren't going to make it exclusive then what was the point in buying Bethesda?
When companies become larger with more moving parts and history/tradition, it becomes increasingly difficulty for them to embrace creativity and flexibility, which often results in them becoming slower as they compete in markets that pressure them to be creative.

Talented CEO's can fix that problem, but it's not easy, and I don't see Bethesda having that going for them.

Microsoft is buying studios for the value of their historic ability to produce IP's, but Microsoft is also historically shit at developing games, which effects these purchasing decisions and the outcomes of these studios after they've been bought.

It's not all doom and gloom, but definitely an uphill battle.

Gorgon

Launching the next Xbox with ESVI would be a smart move by MS after the fuck-up with Xbox One and SX/SS. I have some doubts it will be ready by then, though.

Phase

the office rage GIF

Are you fucking kidding me, phil? This is unacceptable. ES is a staple series with huge name recognition, and you guys haven't even started it have you? It's been 12 years since Skyrim. I would have thought maybe 3 years more at most. Where are your priorities?! Get it together.

Quit reminding us we won't play another ES until all of us are parents or don't have any spare time. Now approve the damn thing already and give this soap opera an end.

Lillie

I would rather MS go the nintendo approach by only showing trailers when games are launching only a few months away, not years away like MS normally do, or in this case with ES VI 10 years later.... at least they wont kill the hype with reveals closer to launch

Last edited:
Damn it man... I was hoping to see this before I'm well last 40. I may never see Elder Scrolls VII at this rate 😆.

Starfield and other stuff they are working on instead better be worth it, Fallouts definitely weren't.

Barakov

Gold Member

The Elder Scrolls 6 Still 'Five+ Years Away', PlayStation Version Undecided​

Article: https://www.ign.com/articles/the-elder-scrolls-6-still-five-years-away-playstation-version-undecided

Xbox's Phil Spencer has confirmed The Elder Scrolls 6 is still "five plus years away". The Xbox boss is also still being careful about mentioning which platforms the Skyrim sequel is planned for, saying: "It’s difficult for us right now to nail down."

Spencer testified about the status of The Elder Scrolls 6 during today's Microsoft FTC trial, tiptoeing around the planned platforms for the game given how far away it is. While his hesitation could be referencing uncertainty surrounding whether the game will be a console exclusive, it's not out of the realm of possibility to consider that The Elder Scrolls 6 may skip the current generation of consoles entirely.

There was some confusion surrounding The Elder Scrolls 6's potential exclusivity during the trial, as Spencer said previously in his deposition, “I have made public statements that Elder Scrolls 6 will skip PlayStation”, but he now says he does not recall doing this.

Now, in court, Spencer spoke about The Elder Scrolls 6's release window and planned platforms: "It’s many years away, but it’s a game we have announced we would begin working on.

"I think we’ve been a little unclear on what platforms it will launch on given how far out the game is. It’s difficult for us right now to nail down exactly what platforms that game will launch on.

"As I said with Elder Scrolls 6, it’s so far out it’s hard to understand what the platforms will even be at this point. It’s the same team that’s finishing Starfield, which comes out this September.

"So we’re talking about it being likely five-plus years away."

Heres the interview from 2021 suggesting it won’t come to over platforms:

For that reason, exclusivity has been the elephant in the room ever since the buyout. It’s been confirmed that next year’s Starfield, arguably the biggest game of 2022, will be Xbox and PC only. Spencer says he sees the same for The Elder Scrolls VI. In his eyes, Xbox is the whole experience. Xbox Live. Game Pass. Cloud Gaming. Friends lists. Save states. “It’s not about punishing any other platform, like I fundamentally believe all of the platforms can continue to grow,” he says. “But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls VI. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises.”
"Doesn't recall"
mike myers air quotes GIF

Zannegan

So many Fallouts, and now Starfield, and I've just been waiting for the next Elder Scrolls.

Here's hoping that when it finally does hit, it's got some thoughtful improvements over Skyrim. I hope the visuals are a big jump up, but if the only gameplay advancements they can come up with in that time are more ways "streamline" the systems of the previous entry. I'll be very disappointed. AI, physics, overall world interactivity could all use a boost, and the crafting, enchanting, and potion systems could stand to be more complex, not less.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
the office rage GIF

Are you fucking kidding me, phil? This is unacceptable. ES is a staple series with huge name recognition, and you guys haven't even started it have you? It's been 12 years since Skyrim. I would have thought maybe 3 years more at most. Where are your priorities?! Get it together.
We have a shareholder! Relax, they need to focus on more than just Bethesda; Starfield will consume that studio first the next 2+ years s

BeardGawd

Banned
And I was right yet again:

If I were a betting man I'd say the next mainline Elder Scrolls will be multiplat. At best it will be a timed exclusive on Xbox with exclusive content. Reasoning being there's a builtin audience on Playstation. And if those Xbox perks (earlier release, bonus content) don't get them to switch platforms. Might as well sell them the full game. The audience is there. Plus you can monetize that same audience with Elder Scrolls Online.

Damn I never miss 👀

Robb

Gold Member
Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF by ABC Network

They’ll just continue to say anything to get the deal through.

As if anyone in the regulatory space will even care to check this in 5-years time. It’ll be exclusive whether the deal closes or not and no one is going to care because there’ll be other things going on by that time.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Not surprising but it's a joke that it has taken so long. Why is Bethesda so slow at releasing games? Fallout 4 was their last major game and that is 8 years old.

Elder Scrolls VI is a late next gen game :messenger_fearful:

As for exclusivity, should be Xbox/PC only. It's their biggest game and if they aren't going to make it exclusive then what was the point in buying Bethesda?

It's not late next gen game, it's early next Gen game.

As for the exclusivity we all know it's going to be exclusive this is just Spencer being Spencer. Saying things which are not definite so when he does something he has that wiggle room.

Von Hugh

4 years between Morrowind and Oblivion, and 5 years between Skyrim and Oblivion. How does it take almost 10 years now?

Helghan

This guy is full of so much BS. It's "undecided" because they want to play the victim to the FTC, it's 100% an exclusive.
Depends on how big Playstation will be in 5 years. If Microsoft isn't able to turn the tide, and even lose more ground, it might be that they release it on Playstation for the money. Although I don't think it will come that far, and it will be exclusive.

mdkirby

Erm what?! The same team as starfield…?

So they are saying that they announced; with a trailer, a game that they knew they wouldn’t even be starting to develop for 5 years. Meaning they announced it likely more than a decade before it’s due for release? That is bloody ridiculous.

People complain at Sony for being secretive and not revealing all the stuff they have in dev. But I much prefer their current approach to this nonsense.

God knows how many games Sony could announce if they told us everything they not only had in development, but also made trailers for fever dreams that existed solely in the devs heads to “eventually be games”

It’s like that outerworlds 2, “here’s a bonkers trailer for a game…we’ve not actually started it and we don’t really know what it’ll be yet; so please ignore this trailer and come back sometime later this decade” 🤦‍♂️

Regginator

"PS5 version undecided", lol of course there's not going to be a PS5 version. They know the outcry would be massive. A new IP like Starfield not having a PS5 version is one thing, but Elder Scrolls? Whatever that agency is called that looks at market competitiveness would be on Microsoft's ass so hard.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
here is what phil said in 2021

“It’s not about punishing any other platform, like I fundamentally believe all of the platforms can continue to grow,”

“But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls 6. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises.”

dotnotbot

Erm what?! The same team as starfield…?

So they are saying that they announced; with a trailer, a game that they knew they wouldn’t even be starting to develop for 5 years. Meaning they announced it likely more than a decade before it’s due for release? That is bloody ridiculous.

People complain at Sony for being secretive and not revealing all the stuff they have in dev. But I much prefer their current approach to this nonsense.

God knows how many games Sony could announce if they told us everything they not only had in development, but also made trailers for fever dreams that existed solely in the devs heads to “eventually be games”

It’s like that outerworlds 2, “here’s a bonkers trailer for a game…we’ve not actually started it and we don’t really know what it’ll be yet; so please ignore this trailer and come back sometime later this decade” 🤦‍♂️

I believe TES6 was revealed at that time to remove a bit of bad taste from gamers' mouths after F76 disaster. If I remember right it was the same showcase Todd Howard apologised on the scene.

E: Nvm, scrap that, it was before F76 launch

Last edited:
Top Bottom