• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer decides in 2021 that all games from Bethesda would become exclusive to Xbox. Proceeds to lie about it in court.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Last edited:
From today's hearings:

Also Phil Spencer under oath 6 days ago:

Under oath stuff was for CoD games coming to PS only.

For Bethesda games, vague case by case language was used when it comes to bringing games to PS. No cleat cut promised was made to bring every game to PS.

Also, how many phill spencer bashing thread we need? We need equal amount of Jim Ryan thread too for equality sake :p

93xfan

Banned
Aren’t they technically correct due to at least quake remastered releasing on PlayStation?

Or was that a contract already in place?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Under oath stuff was for CoD games coming to PS only.

For Bethesda games, vague case by case language was used when it comes to bringing games to PS. No cleat cut promised was made to bring every game to PS.

Also, how many phill spencer bashing thread we need? We need equal amount of Jim Ryan thread too for equality sake :p

will the shills finally drop that ”case-by-case” BS with this revelation?
Oh fuck... you were just a minute too late.

Yeah, it would be perjury. But I'm not sure how they'd handle a case like this. Besides, Microsoft has a lot of lawyers and a lot of money to get Phil out of the crap.

solidus12

At this point what's even true?
Nn2t5J5.jpg

I don’t understand the shock of this. Jim Ryan admitted himself that he would not put the games on a competitor’s platform. This is what competition looks like. Xbox and Sony aren’t doing their shareholders any favors unless they are trying to be more successful than the competition. In the multiple ABK acquisition threads people keep treating this stuff as bombshells. The thing that this acquisition has shown is that both sides are doing what they can to gain market share. This is exactly what we want to maintain a healthy industry.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don’t understand the shock of this. Jim Ryan admitted himself that he would not put the games on a competitor’s platform. This is what competition looks like. Xbox and Sony aren’t doing their shareholders any favors unless they are trying to be more successful than the competition. In the multiple ABK acquisition threads people keep treating this stuff as bombshells. The thing that this acquisition has shown is that both sides are doing what they can to gain market share. This is exactly what we want to maintain a healthy industry.

Phil said games from Bethesda would go to PS5 on a case-by-case basis. If it had a legacy on PS, then it'll be on PS5. Now..............Nope.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It contrasts with their PR to the public and what was said in court days prior.

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah, it would be perjury. But I'm not sure how they'd handle a case like this. Besides, Microsoft has a lot of lawyers and a lot of money to get Phil out of the crap.

I think getting Phil out this is the least of their problems(insignificant to say the least). The problem here is that damage their credibility significantly. I mean, what reason a judge has to believe in a person who lies on a court?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You have no way of knowing if that's a lie.. clearly with MS literally guaranteeing COD be multiplat they have a changed view on exclusives today compared to 2021.

They lied to the public about their intentions surrounding Zenimax though.

Mr.Phoenix

The shock is not the practice. It's the lies.

Phil, and by extension Xbox, has been painting a very pro-consumer narrative and trying to paint sony out to be this bad guy or hindrance of progress for the entire industry.

And this is showing that internally, they say one thing and then say something totally different to the public. And even go as far as lying in court.

So simple question, would you trust a man/company that say we will continue supporting xyz platform and how they just want gaming for everyone and hear him pushing for the exact opposite behind closed doors?

Phil said games from Bethesda would go to PS5 on a case-by-case basis. If it had a legacy on PS, then it'll be on PS5. Now..............Nope.
I guess my question to you is did you really believe that? He gains nothing but a reaction if he comes outright and says that. If I am being honest with myself I would have made them all exclusive too in the interest of trying to gain ground on Sony.

I could understand feeling misled if you hadn’t bought either PS5 or Xbox Series yet and got a PS5 thinking some might. And now being forced to consider switching and losing out on some money.

At the time of those comments several things may have been possibilities that changed things too. Maybe FFVII remake was still potentially coming to Xbox, Final Fantasy XVI might not have been an exclusive. Hell MS might have thought the Bethesda acquisition would have driven console sales more in their favor than it did. So they could have re-evaluated, but personally at announcement I felt they were exclusive.

The shock is not the practice. It's the lies.

Phil, and by extension Xbox, has been painting a very pro-consumer narrative and trying to paint sony out to be this bad guy or hindrance of progress for the entire industry.

And this is showing that internally, they say one thing and then say something totally different to the public. And even go as far as lying in court.

So simple question, would you trust a man/company that say we will continue supporting xyz platform and how they just want gaming for everyone and hear him pushing for the exact opposite behind closed doors?
Jim said Sony couldn’t survive without Call of Duty, then email comes out that he didn’t believe that. My point is both sides are doing this constantly, MS and Sony only care to the point that you buy stuff from them. I am just surprised that people believed any other narrative at any time.

Mr.Phoenix

You have no way of knowing if that's a lie.. clearly with MS literally guaranteeing COD be multiplat they have a changed view on exclusives today compared to 2021.

They lied to the public about their intentions surrounding Zenimax though.
There were no guarantees. Saying we will bring tha game to other platforms for 10 years is not really a guarantee. It can come 3 months after the Xbox version, it can come with only the MP mode. Or fewer maps. It can come with more bugs because a smaller team was alloted to work on it...etc. There is a reason why you don't see partnerships with your single biggest rival in any given field.

How anyone cant see this is beyond me. So what happens when the PS6 is reesing? Sony would literally send MS PS6 pre release dev kits so they can make the COD version of the game for them? What happens if they don't, COD doesn't release that year on PS and Xbox can say, well its not our fault sony didn't send us dev kits.

Top Bottom