• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: The Elder Scrolls 6 Still 'Five+ Years Away', PlayStation Version Undecided. Doesn’t recall saying it will be exclusive

Kokoloko85

The Elder Scrolls 6 Still 'Five+ Years Away', PlayStation Version Undecided​

Article: https://www.ign.com/articles/the-elder-scrolls-6-still-five-years-away-playstation-version-undecided

Xbox's Phil Spencer has confirmed The Elder Scrolls 6 is still "five plus years away". The Xbox boss is also still being careful about mentioning which platforms the Skyrim sequel is planned for, saying: "It’s difficult for us right now to nail down."

Spencer testified about the status of The Elder Scrolls 6 during today's Microsoft FTC trial, tiptoeing around the planned platforms for the game given how far away it is. While his hesitation could be referencing uncertainty surrounding whether the game will be a console exclusive, it's not out of the realm of possibility to consider that The Elder Scrolls 6 may skip the current generation of consoles entirely.

There was some confusion surrounding The Elder Scrolls 6's potential exclusivity during the trial, as Spencer said previously in his deposition, “I have made public statements that Elder Scrolls 6 will skip PlayStation”, but he now says he does not recall doing this.

Now, in court, Spencer spoke about The Elder Scrolls 6's release window and planned platforms: "It’s many years away, but it’s a game we have announced we would begin working on.

"I think we’ve been a little unclear on what platforms it will launch on given how far out the game is. It’s difficult for us right now to nail down exactly what platforms that game will launch on.

"As I said with Elder Scrolls 6, it’s so far out it’s hard to understand what the platforms will even be at this point. It’s the same team that’s finishing Starfield, which comes out this September.

"So we’re talking about it being likely five-plus years away."

Heres the interview from 2021 suggesting it won’t come to over platforms:

For that reason, exclusivity has been the elephant in the room ever since the buyout. It’s been confirmed that next year’s Starfield, arguably the biggest game of 2022, will be Xbox and PC only. Spencer says he sees the same for The Elder Scrolls VI. In his eyes, Xbox is the whole experience. Xbox Live. Game Pass. Cloud Gaming. Friends lists. Save states. “It’s not about punishing any other platform, like I fundamentally believe all of the platforms can continue to grow,” he says. “But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls VI. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises.”

Not surprising but it's a joke that it has taken so long. Why is Bethesda so slow at releasing games? Fallout 4 was their last major game and that is 8 years old.

Elder Scrolls VI is a late next gen game :messenger_fearful:

As for exclusivity, should be Xbox/PC only. It's their biggest game and if they aren't going to make it exclusive then what was the point in buying Bethesda?

Nankatsu

Gold Member
"Doesn't recall"

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

GHG

He doesn't recall? How's this then?

The news comes up in a section about Bethesda, which officially joined Microsoft in March. Starfield, Bethesda’s upcoming sci-fi game, has already been confirmed to be an Xbox and PC exclusive, and “Spencer says he sees the same for The Elder Scrolls VI,” according to GQ.
A quote in the article from Spencer elaborates a bit more. “But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls VI. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises.”

Ar¢tos

To generate hype because Gamepass don't have many 1st party games. Remember Scalebound, Phantom Dusk, the MMO Fable, and many more? Smoke and mirrors company.
But everybody and their pets knows that TES 6 will come out one day even if not announced.

Imagine Elder Scrolls VI being an exclusive/day one Game Pass title matching the launch of the next Xbox.

Would be pretty crazy.

It would unquestionably be cross-gen though.
That would be huge if they did that but doesn't sound like they will get it out on time. This gen might only have another 4-5 years. If it stretched to 6 maybe then they could do it.

To generate hype because Gamepass don't have many 1st party games. Remember Scalebound, Phantom Dusk, the MMO Fable, and many more? Smoke and mirrors company.
what you smoking man :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SHA

18 yrs between 5 and 6, can you believe this!, what's in Todd's mind for God sake, it's literally a period to grow your first child and be a grandpa, a serious game for grandpas and grandmas and not any grandpas ans mas.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
That would be huge if they did that but doesn't sound like they will get it out on time. This gen might only have another 4-5 years. If it stretched to 6 maybe then they could do it.

what you smoking man :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Unless the Xbox comes out 2028/2029 its not gonna match

Last month everyone‘s assumptions was its gonna be exclusive to xbox like Starfield

Microsoft Expects the Next Generation of Consoles to Come Out in 2028, Court documents reveal

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was announced in 2018. So it will be a decade before it releases
I had a feeling this would be a next next gen game.

In 2018, I bet they had nothing in development except the trailer. Game studios do this not just for gamer hype, but for funding hype, partnership deals and buyouts. I remember on GAF an article someone posted from an indie dev and he said that exact same thing. Do some canned promo videos and hope an investment company swoops in to provide funding even though they got basically nothing even worked on yet.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The news comes up in a section about Bethesda, which officially joined Microsoft in March. Starfield, Bethesda’s upcoming sci-fi game, has already been confirmed to be an Xbox and PC exclusive, and “Spencer says he sees the same for The Elder Scrolls VI,” according to GQ.
A quote in the article from Spencer elaborates a bit more. “But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls VI. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises.”

The man is a liar and the past week shined the lights on that more than it ever has.

But he wears gamer shirts tho.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

wolf-of.gif

Realistically this game won't be completed until likely 2029 - 2030.

Big games like TES, always are hit with delays and setbacks.

5 years is optimistic, this will take 6 - 8 years.

Especially considering it will be have to be next gen looking, and blow people away.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Do people not realize their team is like a fourth of what a ubisoft team is for assassins creed, yet are nearly as big (skyrim is for sure)

AmuroChan

I see it was announced shortly before the FO76 release, feels like it was there to appease folks/shareholders cause 76 was coming in pretty fucking hot.

That's fine, but since they were a private company, they had no public shareholders. They could've just shared the news privately with their stakeholders and equity partners. Company announce things publicly because they want to pump the stock. That was not applicable to Zenimax at the time.

Venom Snake

It has already been decided. If you can't say "yes" or "no" directly because it hurts your interests/case, just say "i don't know yet", problem solved.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

LiesOfP.gif…

killatopak

Do people not realize their team is like a fourth of what a ubisoft team is for assassins creed, yet are nearly as big (skyrim is for sure)
Fromsoft is like a 140 man studio and only a third of those is working on Armored Core. I think the issue is the rest of their employees, more importantly their writers, are working on ESO and FO76.

Top Bottom