• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: The Elder Scrolls 6 Still 'Five+ Years Away', PlayStation Version Undecided. Doesn’t recall saying it will be exclusive

SCB3

I have no idea why they even announced it when work on it has barely even started yet.
Shareholders, headlines and gets people interested on whats coming before

That being said, I wonder what the plan is for Fallout 5 then? 76 is good but a new mainline entry cannot wait to be 10 years plus away right?

Reallink

Why announce a game that is 5+ years away?.........

They announced it 5 years ago with a trailer, this is an additional 5+ year delay. So your question should be "why announce a game that is 10+ years away?........." The answer is because MS provides their studios effectively unlimited time and funding. With no real deadlines or requirements to generate income for survival, very little work is accomplished. There's no incentive NOT to roll out of bed at noon and AI generate a stone texture in 10 minutes to earn their $175,000 salary. That's why 343 took 7 years and $500+ million to make an Infinite turd.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Thats an entirely different studio with a different engine. Infact they now have another second project
The main Bethesda studio may have some initial involvement but now the updates to this are entirely by Bethesda Austin with now some additional help from other third party studios (I forgot there names). Bethesda is now almost entirely focussed on Starfield and TES VI.

Fredrik

I doubt this game will be released until 2030 at the earliest. Fallout 5 will be 2040.....at which point I'll be 55 years old 😭
Don’t complain. At that point I’ll be 64.
But I don’t play Fallout so no biggie.

I’ll be pissed if I can’t play The Elder Scrolls VI though.
Angry Old Man GIF by Stad Genk

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The announcement was before MS bought them.

And if anyone thinks the game would be much closer to coming out right now without the acquisition, there's a bridge with their name on it.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Realistically this game won't be completed until likely 2029 - 2030.

Big games like TES, always are hit with delays and setbacks.

5 years is optimistic, this will take 6 - 8 years.

Especially considering it will be have to be next gen looking, and blow people away.
How do you figure all that? Bethesda was very consistent with their output until Starfield, which apparently took so long because it is a new franchise. TES6 should take nowhere near as long to make.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Its a 2030 game so fuck it .. but ..

Wonder if MS dosent plan at all to change their PR approach in the future... this vague, dismissive and/ot clear lying type of answers has not built any goodwill for them along this past years .. I would suggest an shut the fuck up approach or just a honest very clear one ... I would respect them so much more if they just say the things that everybody knows without beating around the bushes.

Fuz

Banned
Shareholders, headlines and gets people interested on whats coming before

That being said, I wonder what the plan is for Fallout 5 then? 76 is good but a new mainline entry cannot wait to be 10 years plus away right?
Kinda GIF

rapid32.5

Phil discussing vaporware-exclusive games for 6+ years that haven’t been shown to the public and will probably run at 30 fps on SX. Great way to score points from the gaming community, not.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I think pretty obvious he’s saying this because of the FTC litigation. It’s his job, he’s not going to say a definite yes or no until after the shitshow with the FTC, CMA, etc finished and they either acquired ACTI-Blizzard or don’t.

Let’s not be obtuse, he’s not the first and he certainly won’t be the last to lie or be intentionally vague in a court of law.

My guess is Phil won’t be in charge then, and the Xbox brand could be gone.

Will Xbox be around in 6 years time? :lollipop_hushed:

The world could end too before then.

Liamario

Banned
I think pretty obvious he’s saying this because of the FTC litigation. It’s his job, he’s not going to say a definite yes or no until after the shitshow with the FTC, CMA, etc finished and they either acquired ACTI-Blizzard or don’t.

Let’s not be obtuse, he’s not the first and he certainly won’t be the last to lie or be intentionally vague in a court of law.

The world could end too before then.
Xbox will probably still be around, but if this acquisition doesn't go through it's going to be in a different form.

Morrowind (2002)
Oblivion (2006)
Fallout 3 (2008)
Skyrim (2011)
Fallout 4 (2015)
Starfield (2023)

It’s really surprising that BGS hasn't expanded to where they can get concurrent development pipelines going for these 3 franchises.

Look at Capcom for reference.

Street Fighter 5 (2016)
MvC Infinite (2017)
Resident Evil 7 (2017)
Monster Hunter World (2018)
Devil May Cry 5 (2019)
Resident Evil 2R (2019)
Resident Evil 3R (2020)
Monster Hunter Rise (2021)
Resident Evil Village (2021)
Resident Evil 4R (2023)
Street Fighter 6 (2023)

That's not even a full list but their output is absurd with respect to their competition but to be fair BGS aren't the only folks who take ages to put out content. Naughty Dog has released one new title in the last 7 years and we don't even know for sure what their next game is.

Starfield won't be a Starflop by any stretch but can you imagine a company putting 7-8 years of personnel and resources into a project and not have it pay off.

Mozza

If or when the Activision deal goes through, all these soundbites from Phil, will disappear quicker than that sub visiting the Titanic.

Pop

Imagine Elder Scrolls VI being an exclusive/day one Game Pass title matching the launch of the next Xbox.

Would be pretty crazy.

It would unquestionably be cross-gen though.
Eh no worries there, Xbox wont have a console in another 5 years. GP everywhere and become a publisher

That's a bummer about Elder Scrolls VI but not unexpected at all. I'm never excited about video games these days but Elder Scrolls VI is one of those I really anticipate more than any perhaps.

K2D

Banned
dAXorZl.jpg

Phil Spencer waiting for Next™ Xbox announcement to reveal Elderscrolls VI is Xbox 4ever exclusive.

If you can't foster them - kidnap them. Straight out of Ruzzias playbook.

Top Bottom