• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer decides in 2021 that all games from Bethesda would become exclusive to Xbox. Proceeds to lie about it in court.

Mr.Phoenix

Jim said Sony couldn’t survive without Call of Duty, then email comes out that he didn’t believe that. My point is both sides are doing this constantly, MS and Sony only care to the point that you buy stuff from them. I am just surprised that people believed any other narrative at any time.
Yes, but one isnt trying to buy out one of the largest third-party publishers a few months after just doing exactly that with Bethesda. Jim/sony is not the one on trial here. What you are saying is like saying, well Iamsure Jimsay or has done some shady shit so lets give Phil a pass... never heard of the 11th commandment?

If MS had just done what Sony does and paid for timed exclusivity... none of this would be happening, would it?

lets not pretend there is no reason at all for them to be at the FTC.

Yes, but one isnt trying to buy out one of the largest third-party publishers a few months after just doing exactly that with Bethesda. Jim/sony is not the one on trial here. What you are saying is like saying, well Iamsure Jimsay or has done some shady shit so lets give Phil a pass... never heard of the 11th commandment?

If MS had just done what Sony does and paid for timed exclusivity... none of this would be happening, would it?

lets not pretend there is no reason at all for them to be at the FTC.
Why aren’t they equivalent? I see two companies doing their best to gain an advantage over their competitor, it is a good thing. The only folks that really lose if MS buys ABK is someone that owns only a PS5. But I am sure Sony would then bring back Killzone or SOCOM and then they might even be better for it.

Last edited:

PaNaMa

Banned
Man he's got some balls. Can you imagine if Sony execs talked about keeping some of their 1st party studio games exclusive? Fuuuuuuck next thing you'll see Nintendo keeping their games on-platform. I just thought of something funny - what if, in addition to not putting your studio's games out on a competitors platform, you go out and bribe other studios that you don't own, and give them hundreds of millions year after year to *not* put their games on anyone else's platform either.
Sorry I got a little crazy there. Anyways, lets throw the book at MS !

DJ12

I just meant in US, it sounds like everything can be bought.
Yeah look at all the lies ms have been caught in, and admission that what these regulators fear are what they are trying to do and MS still going to win this.

Shock horror her son works at ms.

Strange parallels to the case johnny depp lost in the uk as that judges son worked at the sun who were on trial.

Is not what you can prove but where your offspring work

I hope in a few months he gets sacked and the judges corruption comes to light

Last edited:
Man he's got some balls. Can you imagine if Sony execs talked about keeping some of their 1st party studio games exclusive? Fuuuuuuck next thing you'll see Nintendo keeping their games on-platform. I just thought of something funny - what if, in addition to not putting your studio's games out on a competitors platform, you go out and bribe other studios that you don't own, and give them hundreds of millions year after year to *not* put their games on anyone else's platform either.

Hmm 🤔

Moneal

Can people not read, or do they just not care to read? Phil said in court earlier tis week that TES 6 exclusivity had not been decided yet. Today, emails from 2021 say they decided to make all Bethesda games going forward exclusive. Its not about what a company does with its third party, it what they said in court vs what they said in emails.

Last edited:
Why aren’t they equivalent? I see two companies doing their best to gain an advantage over their competitor, it is a good thing. The only folks that really lose if MS buys ABK is someone that owns only a PS5. But I am sure Sony would then bring back Killzone or SOCOM and then they might even be better for it.
The antitrust laws prohibit conduct by a single firm that unreasonably restrains competition by creating or maintaining monopoly power...

https://www.ftc.gov/advice-guidance...ws/single-firm-conduct/monopolization-defined

it's not simply a matter of gaining advantage. it's a matter of whether or not the gain's 'unreasonable'. that's what's at issue...

i mean, where, if anywhere, do you draw the line? ms/abk buying ubi? ms/abk/ubi buying ea? or is it all just gloves off dog eat dog?...

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You can't be serious.. I am going to take it that you are joking.

Buying out publishers that are doing well and thriving and having literally tens of IPs that are successful across multiple platforms... is NOT the same thing as paying for a 1 year timed exclusive.

No way you cant see the difference in that. That's like saying, well this team keeps beating me cause they pay this scouting agency to recommend the best players to buy. Well, I can't be asked to get my own players and train them, so I will just buy the agency instead.

DJ12

Yeah I mean its not like Sony have brought a multi platform publisher and kept them multiplatform is it.......

ZoukGalaxy

Dear Cumbaya Phil...

Animated GIF

I don’t understand the shock of this. Jim Ryan admitted himself that he would not put the games on a competitor’s platform. This is what competition looks like. Xbox and Sony aren’t doing their shareholders any favors unless they are trying to be more successful than the competition. In the multiple ABK acquisition threads people keep treating this stuff as bombshells. The thing that this acquisition has shown is that both sides are doing what they can to gain market share. This is exactly what we want to maintain a healthy industry.
You don't understand he's a perpetual lying clown ?
You can't build a healthy brand on permanent false promises, like he did and still does, soon or later, it collapses like a singularity.

Last edited:
This is why I don’t think it is hard for the FTC to provide a case of doubt and get the injunction.

A lot of Xbox commentators have latched on to what Spencer et al have SAID, but a ton of evidence suggests they are lying.

For example, if he decided that all Bethesda games will be exclusive then, then he lied in court about ESVI when he said they hadn’t decided yet. That’s one of many inconsistencies from Xbox leadership.

You can't be serious.. I am going to take it that you are joking.

Buying out publishers that are doing well and thriving and having literally tens of IPs that are successful across multiple platforms... is NOT the same thing as paying for a 1 year timed exclusive.

No way you cant see the difference in that. That's like saying, well this team keeps beating me cause they pay this scouting agency to recommend the best players to buy. Well, I can't be asked to get my own players and train them, so I will just buy the agency instead.
I am not saying they are equivalent in scale, but unless the buy makes Microsoft an unstoppable force, this is just competition. The head of PlayStation has documented that this acquisition does not put Sony in a bad position.

https://www.ftc.gov/advice-guidance...ws/single-firm-conduct/monopolization-defined

it's not simply a matter of gaining advantage. it's a matter of whether or not the gain's 'unreasonable'. that's what's at issue...

i mean, where, if anywhere, do you draw the line? ms/abk buying ubi? ms/abk/ubi buying ea? or is it all just gloves off dog eat dog?...
Jim Ryan himself has indicated that this won’t substantially harm PS. If that is the case isn’t this just competition?

graywolf323

Not sure why any of this is surprising to anyone. Literally the most compelling reason for Microsoft to buy Activision is to withhold Activision titles from the competition. If MS simply wanted Activision games on MS consoles, they could continue to get them, as they do now, without having to spend a dime.
it’s not surprising, the point is however that the truth stands in direct contrast to the PR BS Microsoft has been spewing for years now

Last edited:

radewagon

it’s not surprising, the point is however that the truth stands in direct contrast to the PR BS Microsoft has been spewing for years now
That's fair. I suppose I just never believed any of it. The second the Bethesda deal went through, I knew I'd be playing future Doom, Fallout, and Wolfenstein titles on my Series X.

Jim Ryan himself has indicated that this won’t substantially harm PS. If that is the case isn’t this just competition?
well, that may be, but it isn't jim ryan's decision to make, now is it? anymore than it is yours or mine. we all got opinions, but it's the ftc that decides things...

& you didn't answer my question...

Last edited:

geary

I guess what's you writing in an internal email or speaking on a cigarette break few years back is the letter of the law. Strategies and set in stone and you cannot change them even if what decided 2-3 years ago today will lead your to failing over failings.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There were no guarantees. Saying we will bring tha game to other platforms for 10 years is not really a guarantee. It can come 3 months after the Xbox version, it can come with only the MP mode. Or fewer maps. It can come with more bugs because a smaller team was alloted to work on it...etc. There is a reason why you don't see partnerships with your single biggest rival in any given field.

How anyone cant see this is beyond me. So what happens when the PS6 is reesing? Sony would literally send MS PS6 pre release dev kits so they can make the COD version of the game for them? What happens if they don't, COD doesn't release that year on PS and Xbox can say, well its not our fault sony didn't send us dev kits.

To be so wishy-washy in public and use statements like "First, Better or Best".. to over and over say the deal isn't about exclusives, etc. while behind the scenes knowing you plan to make things exclusive?

Absolutely dishonest behavior, and it grinds my gears to try to play semantics with terms like "guarantees" when they knew WTF they were doing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You have no way of knowing if that's a lie.. clearly with MS literally guaranteeing COD be multiplat they have a changed view on exclusives today compared to 2021.

They lied to the public about their intentions surrounding Zenimax though.

The bolded is what we are all talking about.

DJ12

Yea only leader to launch a console without an exclusive, hell even Don Matrick managed a few launch titles.

Best leader ever? Ha, not even close
Seeing as everyone else at ms wanted to kill xbox he's done a great job bringing that closer.

They even rebounded to Microsoft gaming not long ago layong the ground work for the sub division of xbox to be killed/sold off with minimal fuss.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I guess my question to you is did you really believe that? He gains nothing but a reaction if he comes outright and says that. If I am being honest with myself I would have made them all exclusive too in the interest of trying to gain ground on Sony.

I could understand feeling misled if you hadn’t bought either PS5 or Xbox Series yet and got a PS5 thinking some might. And now being forced to consider switching and losing out on some money.

At the time of those comments several things may have been possibilities that changed things too. Maybe FFVII remake was still potentially coming to Xbox, Final Fantasy XVI might not have been an exclusive. Hell MS might have thought the Bethesda acquisition would have driven console sales more in their favor than it did. So they could have re-evaluated, but personally at announcement I felt they were exclusive.

Yes, I believed it. I think people would have been mad if they were all exclusive from the beginning. So when he said the opposite, I was thinking "surely he wouldn't lie about that right?"

Jim said Sony couldn’t survive without Call of Duty, then email comes out that he didn’t believe that. My point is both sides are doing this constantly, MS and Sony only care to the point that you buy stuff from them. I am just surprised that people believed any other narrative at any time.
Sssh please dont say anything about Jim especially here. He is always honest to everyone. Only phill lies and should be fired even though he didn't and people take shit out of context by twisting his words.

He clearly made different commitments for Bethesda games than Activision but i guess some people dont get it.

Top Bottom