• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: The Elder Scrolls 6 Still 'Five+ Years Away', PlayStation Version Undecided. Doesn’t recall saying it will be exclusive

DarthPutin

I felt like we knew that already? What did people expect? They are working on Starfield, the real work will begin afterwards, and it's a huge game.

People are so naive/optimistic, and it's weird to see. I knew very little about the process when next gen hit, but I still figured that CGI only trailer games from XBOX will only come out in few years (or maybe not at all), that ESVI is a generation away... But forum members kept expecting Perfect Dark in 2022, etc, talking about buying XSeries for Elder Scrolls and I assumed I'm just missing something... Nope.

Godot25

Banned
There is no doubt that TES VI won't be out of PlayStation.
Spencer just plays into fact that game won't be probably out during this gen and does not have announced platforms.

Microsoft expects new consoles in 2028
TES is supposed to be 5 years out (current year is 2023)
Coincidence? I think not

There is no doubt that TES VI won't be out of PlayStation.
Spencer just plays into fact that game won't be probably out during this gen and does not have announced platforms.

Microsoft expects new consoles in 2028
TES is supposed to be 5 years out (current year is 2023)
Coincidence? I think not
Starfield is not going to be on PS5, I fully expect TES VI will also be Xbox exclusive. The only reason why Phil is being obscure about this is because there’s a certain little lawsuit in progress which prohibits him from just saying the truth that TES will be exclusive, just like Starfield.

MMaRsu

Banned
Erm what?! The same team as starfield…?

So they are saying that they announced; with a trailer, a game that they knew they wouldn’t even be starting to develop for 5 years. Meaning they announced it likely more than a decade before it’s due for release? That is bloody ridiculous.

People complain at Sony for being secretive and not revealing all the stuff they have in dev. But I much prefer their current approach to this nonsense.

God knows how many games Sony could announce if they told us everything they not only had in development, but also made trailers for fever dreams that existed solely in the devs heads to “eventually be games”

It’s like that outerworlds 2, “here’s a bonkers trailer for a game…we’ve not actually started it and we don’t really know what it’ll be yet; so please ignore this trailer and come back sometime later this decade” 🤦‍♂️

Yes because fans were going rabbid screaming WHERE IS TES6???

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If Phil wants to continue shipping games to PlayStation with "existing fanbases and communities," why is the PlayStation version undecided? Shouldn't it be automatically green-lit based on Phil's earlier comments? 🤔

jzjYu6d.jpg
All that bullshit came out in court. Even admitted that they've been trying to yank Minecraft for almost 10 years, but have not found a way around that initial contract sale stipulation, yet. Notch really did his due diligence.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Who doesn't zenimax ?
The studio that develops Starfield and TESIV. They don't do anything for ESO.

They make giant games, COVID hit, new tech had to be made.

Their games will take 10 years usually in the current climate.

Last edited:

recursive

Morrowind (2002)
Oblivion (2006)
Fallout 3 (2008)
Skyrim (2011)
Fallout 4 (2015)
Starfield (2023)

It’s really surprising that BGS hasn't expanded to where they can get concurrent development pipelines going for these 3 franchises.

Look at Capcom for reference.

Street Fighter 5 (2016)
MvC Infinite (2017)
Resident Evil 7 (2017)
Monster Hunter World (2018)
Devil May Cry 5 (2019)
Resident Evil 2R (2019)
Resident Evil 3R (2020)
Monster Hunter Rise (2021)
Resident Evil Village (2021)
Resident Evil 4R (2023)
Street Fighter 6 (2023)

That's not even a full list but their output is absurd with respect to their competition but to be fair BGS aren't the only folks who take ages to put out content. Naughty Dog has released one new title in the last 7 years and we don't even know for sure what their next game is.

Starfield won't be a Starflop by any stretch but can you imagine a company putting 7-8 years of personnel and resources into a project and not have it pay off.
All those skyrim re-releases keeping the lights on and food on the table.

killatopak

people are getting paid for the "writing" in these? Holy moly.
I mean yeah some may suck especially FO76 but ESO one is still great. The work is definitely extensive at it requires you not to break established stuff. They even hire writers for the TES card game because the story deals with very sensitive lore such as the war between the Aldmeri Dominion and the Empire. Those have direct affect on the lore of Skyrim. ESO on the other hand seems mostly about the second age so they have to skirt around Daggerfall and Morrowind and such Very important since the Tribunal is still alive then.

Hudo

I mean yeah some may suck especially FO76 but ESO one is still great. The work is definitely extensive at it requires you not to break established stuff. They even hire writers for the TES card game because the story deals with very sensitive lore such as the war between the Aldmeri Dominion and the Empire. Those have direct affect on the lore of Skyrim. ESO on the other hand seems mostly about the second age so they have to skirt around Daggerfall and Morrowind and such Very important since the Tribunal is still alive then.
I haven't played ESO that much, admittedly. From what I have played, nothing particularly stuck out as good writing. But also not really as bad writing. Just...mediocre. Not really something you'd remember. But ESO isn't the first Bethesda game where the writing took a backseat. It was already a problem with Fallout 3, which I've played quite a lot, where some quests and how they are written vs. how they are supposed to be carried out by the player even contradict each other. Then the whole civil war in Skyrim was just laughably executed. And the whole thing about killing Paarthurnax in order to progress the Blades storyline was just plain bad because Paarthurnaxx actually confronts the player with good, sound arguments but the player can't really act and interact on that level. And Fallout 4's main story quest and the pacing of it directly is in conflict with the open-world itself there. Where you are continuously hurried by the quest but the world aggressively tries to sidetrack you in every way, thus removing any urgency. And with Fallout 76, at least they didn't try to be serious there. They knew that they were just doing some bullshit, so they went with that.

Edit: I guess the last time where I was impressed with Bethesda's writing was with Morrowind because it also caused me to think about it even when I didn't play the game.

Last edited:

Rush2112

Banned
It’s 5 years away because they won’t be making it. They made enough off of skyrim and gamepass. Todd Howard is also retirng. Even if they make it, he probably won’t be deeply involved.

I dont really get it, its not like their recent outputs were these witcher 3/cyberpunk level questlines with ambitious tech and such.

They recycle their little creation engine, throw some procedural quests in there and copy and paste the loot once you get to the level scaled daedric/ebony weapons. They used to not be lazy, but modern bethesda actually kinda is.

No reason it should be this long. They just simply havent even started.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
...but if Skyrim is any indication, it will get re-released, oh so many times!

So maybe there will be TES 6 on PS6 - featuring all the original bugs, but now with fishing!
Isn't that the truth, they never even fix the OG bugs in the rereleases. Even the Switch had day 1 bugs from the OG, lol.

splattered

Possible that they're waiting to see how Starfield performs in sales/subs/consoles/etc as Xbox exclusive before deciding whether to bring TES6 to Playstation or not. OR it could already be exclusive and they just didnt want to say so yet haha who knows

I love how he's going "Maybe we'll do a PlayStation version." when pretty much everything else has been made exclusive and they almost certainly have no intention on releasing it on the PlayStation.

Hudo

It's all prompt engineers for ChatGPT! 😉. Well, I lied, that's being too mean to ChatGPT. They must have used an older and crappier LLM model.
I genuinely had ChatGPT help me write an abstract for a paper once (well, I had to be very specific with my prompt in order to get something useable)

StereoVsn

I genuinely had ChatGPT help me write an abstract for a paper once (well, I had to be very specific with my prompt in order to get something useable)
Oh, don't get me wrong, I use ChatGPT, BingChat, GitHub Copilot and a few others all the time for work and personal stuff.

I am just doubtful what's stopping ES6 is writer workload on ESO or Fallout76 😂.

Spyxos

Gold Member
What are they doing at Bethesda? Why is everything taking so long? Do they only have one team internally that works on one game?

Do people not realize their team is like a fourth of what a ubisoft team is for assassins creed, yet are nearly as big (skyrim is for sure)
Yeah, I remember Oblivion making of and it was like a handful of people. One dude did all the dungeons, putting them together piece by piece within the kit. Another did the animations, etc... At least back then it was small too. It always seemed tiny compared to other teams. Also crazy seeing how they had like 10 voice actors for the entire game of oblivion.

So you think they’ve been working on Wlder Scrolls 6 for 15 years? Obviously they haven’t. They’ve been making other games in that time. but I just want to clarify that that’s what you think.

I’m just curious to how your thought process works.
I don't, I'm just saying that's what they should deliver to fans after we've been waiting 15+ years.

Anything less than that the wait between games is going to be absurd.

Arena.

Or ESO.
Imagine a fully 3D and interconnected map of all of Tamriel.

iirc ESO breaks it up into chunks instead of one seamless map.

ZoukGalaxy

It’s 5 years away because they won’t be making it. They made enough off of skyrim and gamepass. Todd Howard is also retirng. Even if they make it, he probably won’t be deeply involved.
Saturday Night Live Snl GIF

Todd only said TES6 will be probably his last game considering he's getting older and considering the production time they have right now, so be sure he will be fully and deeply involved in this one after the Starfield release. Also he's not retiring at all, yet, that was just hypothetical.
TES6 is probably already in pre-production by a very small portion of the main team.

Last edited:
Bethesda has been a 1 game at a time studio since at least Morrowind, why are people thinking that the CG teaser from 2018 means ES6 is anything other than a few art assets, and a basic 1 page story outline right now?

I expect a year of official Starfield DLC content, and up to a 5 year dev cycle for ES6. Creation 2 already being done might help speed things up a bit, but like the rest of the industry dev times have increased across the board as games get prettier and more complex.

Last edited:

Nubulax

All that bullshit came out in court. Even admitted that they've been trying to yank Minecraft for almost 10 years, but have not found a way around that initial contract sale stipulation, yet. Notch really did his due diligence.
Ya that minecraft news should be way larger in social media than it has been.. that is crazy to me. They tried everything possible to make it exclusive but because of legal reasons they havent been able to. Should tell you all there is to know about how they want to operate

Nubulax

They announced it 5 years ago, when it was 10 years away.

Lose graphical fidelity and crank it out.
Ya they actually had the balls to announce both Starfield and ES6 in 2018 at the same show lol. 5 years later and ES6 has had nothing shown really and Starfield still isnt out.

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF

Todd only said TES6 will be probably his last game considering he's getting older and considering the production time they have right now, so be sure he will be fully and deeply involved in this one after the Starfield release. Also he's not retiring at all, yet, that was just hypothetical.
TES6 is probably already in pre-production by a very small portion of the main team.
Technically he said it will probably be his last Elder Scrolls game. Granted he's a multi-millionaire who can ride off into the sunset whenever he pleases, but I think the man has at least another Fallout in him.

93xfan

Banned
I don't, I'm just saying that's what they should deliver to fans after we've been waiting 15+ years.

Anything less than that the wait between games is going to be absurd.

I just want a massive new place to explore with tropical storms based on a real weather system where you can see the storm coming from miles away. Also plenty of significant underwater spaces and revamped swimming and combat. That would make me happy

Melchiah

Ya that minecraft news should be way larger in social media than it has been.. that is crazy to me. They tried everything possible to make it exclusive but because of legal reasons they havent been able to. Should tell you all there is to know about how they want to operate
And funnily enough, fans of team green always bring Minecraft forth as the shining example of how MS won't be taking established franchises away from other platforms. Since they tried hard to make it exclusive, they'll most certainly do the same with the likes of TES, Fallout, COD, Diablo, and Overwatch. Lest we forget, the initial promise was to keep COD on PS only for a couple of years, as per the current contracts, and MS raised it to 10 years just because the ABK deal didn't go through as easily as they thought.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If Phil wants to continue shipping games to PlayStation with "existing fanbases and communities," why is the PlayStation version undecided? Shouldn't it be automatically green-lit based on Phil's earlier comments? 🤔

jzjYu6d.jpg
Shocking news, Phil is lying and fanboys keep up with the line the company feeds them because they do want their beloved company dominate regardless of how they do it. If they do it there is a way to justify it.

Clown Clowning Around GIF by Sarah Squirm

Laptop1991

It was announced at E3 in 2018, only months after the save singleplayer 1 message, and as damage limitation for the multiplayer only Fallout 76 to appease the fans, who didn't want Fallout 76, and it was Zenimax lying their heads off, and they are responsible for the ridiculous amount of time between Elder Scrolls, I'm actually glad MS bought them out and their online cash grabs failed.

Zannegan

I dunno, I kind of like that each entry focuses on one specific area. It allows each entry to change and have its own identity while maintaining a core.

I feel like any game with much breadth would lack depth. You'd get all the regions of Tamriel, but they'd essentially be palate swaps. Plus, where would you take the series from there?

OceanGaming

Morrowind (2002)
Oblivion (2006)
Fallout 3 (2008)
Skyrim (2011)
Fallout 4 (2015)
Starfield (2023)

Look at Capcom for reference.

Street Fighter 5 (2016)
MvC Infinite (2017)
Resident Evil 7 (2017)
Monster Hunter World (2018)
Devil May Cry 5 (2019)
Resident Evil 2R (2019)
Resident Evil 3R (2020)
Monster Hunter Rise (2021)
Resident Evil Village (2021)
Resident Evil 4R (2023)
Street Fighter 6 (2023)

Tell me this is bait. Nobody can be as stupid as to compare 1 game studio + support studios in a billion dolar media company to another billion dollar media company which has many, MANY subsidiaries underneath?

Last edited:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

Did this really come out 5 years ago!? In my mind it was like 2-3 years.

When they call that a "trailer" i dont know what to say.....for 35 seconds a flyby over some mountains in 100% CGI pin the camerashot l on one mountain and then...Elden Scrolls VI🙄

Last edited:
Top Bottom