• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield is 4K/30 on Series X, 1440/30 on Series S

ManaByte

Gold Member

“I think it'll come as no surprise, given our previous games, what we go for,” Howard said. “Always these huge, open worlds, fully dynamic, hyper detail where anything can happen. And we do want to do that. It's 4K in the X. It's 1440 on the S. We do lock it at 30, because we want that fidelity, we want all that stuff. We don't want to sacrifice any of it.

“Fortunately in this one, we've got it running great. It's often running way above that. Sometimes it's 60. But on the consoles, we do lock it because we prefer the consistency, where you're not even thinking about it.

Kilau

Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I have a feeling even high end pcs will struggle if its what im reading above

Yup. The way they were talking about the lighting I wouldn't be surprised if it was using raytracing. As dynamic as their games are with objects they kinda need raytraced lighting in some form.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yup. The way they were talking about the lighting I wouldn't be surprised if it was using raytracing. As dynamic as their games are with objects they kinda need raytraced lighting in some form.
they said its fully realtime Global Illumination so basically doing the same thing as ray tracing, just maybe not the way RT does it.

But Bethesda games are very heavy on the CPU especially due to the dynamic nature of their objects like you mentioned. the cpu needs to track all those pots and pans and they probably just couldnt get that to run on consoles.

I have a feeling you will be able to run it at 1080p 60 fps on a similar PC setup though. 2080 plus a 3600. we shall see.

Mister Wolf

they said its fully realtime Global Illumination so basically doing the same thing as ray tracing, just maybe not the way RT does it.

But Bethesda games are very heavy on the CPU especially due to the dynamic nature of their objects like you mentioned. the cpu needs to track all those pots and pans and they probably just couldnt get that to run on consoles.

I have a feeling you will be able to run it at 1080p 60 fps on a similar PC setup though. 2080 plus a 3600. we shall see.

There are levels to raytraced lighting. They could be using rays to make their light probe system more accurate like how Returnal, Chernobylite(PC), and Warhammer Darktide(PC) does. Nvidia calls their version of that system RTXGI.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hey look the posts are moving already.

Which posts, exactly?

I've literally always chosen Fidelity mode, even when Performance mode is an option:

I've got a 77" OLED. I go Fidelity the vast majority of the time as well. 1440p is too soft for my tastes.

The trend of more and more 40fps games emerging has been amazing as well. Really makes Fidelity and easy choice for me when 40fps is an option.

Finally started this this morning. Just got past the sorting hat.

My god, it's truly fantastic. I was NOT expecting this level of polish and production. Wow. An HP fans dream.

I've opted for Fidelity Mode w/ uncapped framerate on my Series X/77" LG C2, w/ chromatic aberration and film grain OFF. Looks absolutely stunning and the game runs closer to 40fps on average w/ the framerate uncapped and VRR.

Really depends on the size and viewing distance I guess.

I sit about 9-10 feet away from a 77" OLED and 4k is really important to me. I usually choose Fidelity over Performance modes. 1440p is just too soft.

Once an image hits ~1800p or so though, I'm happy and can't really tell the different between that and native 4k. FSR 2.0 is really effective in my eyes as well.

Me, playing Jedi Survivor on Xbox tonight, as someone that always chooses Fidelity mode even if Performance mode is flawless:

The Matrix GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hopefully a 1080p/1440p 40fps option for S and X. Always felt 1440p was such a stupid resolution target for the S and a waste of limited resources.

Jokes on you if you actually believed that statement .... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Execs will lie to you to get your money. PC is the best place to play Xbox first party games, its just the honest truth.

Also 4K will always be preferred over 60 FPS by execs because its a more marketable feature on console.

You want 60+ FPS? go get a PC ... case closed

Last edited:
Top Bottom