• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rtings.com updated list of Best Gaming TV's - Summer 2017

Lister

Banned
Is there anywhere where the actual input lag is mentioned?

They keep saying "low", what do they consider low?

Mindman

I can strongly recommend the X900E. Local dimming, no backlight flicker unless at super low brightness, and it automatically adjusts the backlight for HDR content of ALL kinds! Unlike a certain other TV...

Hawk269

I upgraded from a non-HDR 4K set from Sony (X850B). The HDR alone was a big upgrade. I had been playing Horizon in SDR at 4K and let out an audible "wow" when I fired it up on my 900E and saw it in HDR. (I'm still keeping my X850b in another room for its passive 3D)

I'd say it's a worthy upgrade even if you end up not noticing the resolution difference itself.

This is something that happens a lot when people see a proper set that does a good job with HDR. Not all sets are great with HDR. Sets that have low NITS output are not going to be giving that WOW moment. While HDR is better than no HDR, there are a lot of variables and finding out the NITS output while in HDR mode is important info to know how you set will do in HDR.

A proper set with good/great NITS gives that WOW moment you experienced. I have had many friends that think 4k is good, but that is it until they come over and watch a HDR movie, they then have that "WOW" moment you experienced. For me the best HDR games so far have been Forza Horizon 3, Horizon Zero Down & Gears 4. All three of those are fantastic in HDR, but FH3 and HZD are the 2 of the best out there for HDR.

Cabal

Is the 850E also a 10-bit panel with wide color gamut and HDR support?

Yes the 850E is a 10 bit panel with WCG and HDR. The difference between it and the 900E is local dimming and I think the backlight may be full array on the 900E. Again, I could tell a little difference side by side but not 500 dollars worth. They only make 850E tvs in 65 and 75 inch. The 65 looks great.

Korezo

Paid the extra for the e7 cause of design, and the tv is increadible. The picture is almost perfect out of the box, all I did was adjust the tempreture to warm.
The 2017 lgs are amazing only negative is the lack of 3d.

sirap

I can't believe I own the top two TVs on that list and still have no means of accessing 4K and HDR content.

Fuck this slow connection 😂

ss_lemonade

Is there anywhere where the actual input lag is mentioned?

They keep saying "low", what do they consider low?
Low in TV land is usually around 18 - 30ms, the good ones usually below 25ms in game mode. I've seen people still complain about that being too high but that's already very good to me. Enough for me to even play music rhythm games without problem for example

Got a 65" KS8000 for around $1200USD I believe because I heard it was the holy grail (outside of the super expensive LGs). Had no idea there was a shortage. Really happy with it and glad I picked it up.
I don't know about holy grail levels (I have a 65in ks9000). Out of the very limited number of TVs I've used, the Sony Bravia w900a is still what impressed me the most. For 1080p content, it still looks very good and can do some things better than my ks9000.

LegendX48

What happened with it?
It's kind of weird. Woke up Friday morning, turned it on there were two little spots like holes or dimples at the top of the screen just beneath the bezel. On a closer look it seemed like something peeled off behind the screen. They cast little shadows over the picture as well.

pswii60

How did Samsung go from top of the list to off the list?
QLED is a joke. And OLED is becoming more affordable.

I've got the C6 and love it to bits. Everything I throw at it looks amazing and games look incredible. I'd rather have a C7 though, but my next upgrade will come in the form of whatever OLED supports HDMI 2.1 and the dynamic refresh. Can't wait to see how Xbox One X performs on that.

I'll be in the market for a 65-75" OLED towards the end of 2018. My hope is to spend about $3-3.5K. It looks like OLED is dominating everything already.

RCSI

Really happy with my X800D I bought at the end of last year, paired it with a Denon X2300W for 5.1. In what seems to be typical Sony fashion it's great for upscaling HD and SD content, which the majority of stuff I watch on it is (since most is 720p from satellite). SD looks far better than on my old 1080p Bravia, and although it could be placebo, even HD sport seems to look better on this TV despite it needing to do more upscaling.

4K is very good, HDR is good for the price (although not nearly as good as LG OLED or very high end Sony TVs). Brightness in HDR is its main downfall, but it's good enough for me for now, and the way I see it, by the time HDR becomes the norm, I'll be ready to upgrade to another TV which will hopefully be both cheaper and better than what I could afford at present.

Quite pleased with it myself. Ultimately the TV is a holdover until an HDMI 2.1 LG OLED (with all the bells and whistles).

Necron

My LG OLED55B6V is arriving this Tuesday - very excited. Can't wait to see what OLED, 4K and HDR have to offer. What are the best games to test this thing out on a PS4 Pro besides Horizon: Zero Dawn?

Is it actually true the TCL P-Series has a better picture than the Vizio M-Series? I was looking at one of the Vizio's and was really impressed with it's picture for the price. If the TCL is even better that's really impressive

ngower

X900E is the first TV I've owned that I haven't noticed flaws in. I truly love this TV's picture, makes movies a treat.

phanphare

Banned
Is it actually true the TCL P-Series has a better picture than the Vizio M-Series? I was looking at one of the Vizio's and was really impressed with it's picture for the price. If the TCL is even better that's really impressive

they're extremely comparable sets if you compare the rtings reviews. the TCL P has the edge on input lag and is cheaper though.

Rektash

Uh, do people not buy 1080p TVs anymore?

How does 1080p content look on 4K sets?

Depending on how far away you sit from your TV the difference can vary between unnoticable and nice upgrade.

4k TVs have better picture quality as basically all high end models are 4k nowdays.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Depending on how far away you sit from your TV the difference can vary between unnoticable and nice upgrade.

Diminishing returns at play.

4k TVs will have better picture quality though as basically all high end models are 4k nowdays.

Hmm, so what about a 27 inch 4K gaming monitor? Is that a good purchase?

I not agree with the X900E because input lag are too high for multiplayer competitive gaming...

20-25 ms max for multiplayer gaming , not 30+ ...

Stiler

Samsung really dropped the ball with their TV offerings this year and Sony is coming back hard so the blow is felt even harder. Curious is Sony can unseat LG as they are eating info their market share as well.

Sony has to get through TCL first, in terms of market share you have Samsung, followed by LG, TCL, and then Sony.

Lots of people don't realize how big TCL is, they are huge in Asia and other markets, but in NA they aren't that known since they mainly built tv's under the RCA brand until switching to using their own name in the recent years.

Kudo

Hmm, so what about a 27 inch 4K gaming monitor? Is that a good purchase?

I don't know about 27" 4K gaming monitors but I have 27" 1440p Dell monitor and the scaler in this monitor and TVs are light years apart, looks really jaggy compared to TV, but I think that's the point as monitor is supposed to give the image without any processing.
4K content from PS4 Pro will look good, but everything upscaled from 1080p will look worse on high resolution monitor I'd say.

aravuus

Think I'm gonna start saving for that LG C7. B6 just recently landed in Finland I believe, so by the time they start selling C7 here, I'll hopefully have managed to save enough lol.

$3797 on Amazon for a 65” LG C7 right now. God damn that is not cheap. Hopefully I’ll be able to get one for 2 grand come clearance time...

Does anyone know if the TCL plays nice with the OSSC?

Rizific

Are any of these native 120+hz refresh rate? If I'm gonna spend that much dough on a TV I'd like to be able to also use my pc on it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Still too damn expensive. A Vizio P series with better brightness at 65" and $800 is probably when I switch. So 2018.

Soroc

Anyone have the P607 in 65"? I can't seem to find it anywhere and even the rtings site shows 55 and 65 (seems they only reviewed the 55) but Amazon only shows the 55. And everywhere I look I'm only seeing S series 65 for TCL.

EDIT: guess I just found my answer on cnet reviews

The Good: The affordable TCL P series has excellent overall image quality, with deep black levels, rich contrast and accurate color. Its Roku Smart TV platform is the best available, with a simple interface and extensive streaming app support. The TV handles both HDR10 and Dolby Vision high dynamic range sources.

The Bad: Only available in a 55-inch size for now.

The Bottom Line: With excellent picture quality and all the latest features for a rock-bottom price, the TCL P series is one of the best TV values of the year.

Bummer as I might have impulse bought it today lol

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Uh, do people not buy 1080p TVs anymore?

How does 1080p content look on 4K sets?

Few 1080p Tv's for sale now and they are far outclassed by high end Sony panels from 2013. So there's tons of enthusiasts like me waiting.

Rizific

The C7 can do 1080P 120. 4k max is 60. That's a HDMI 2.0 limitation though. If you want 4k120 then you need to wait for HDMI 2.1.
4k120 would require a ridiculous amount of power. Currently on a 1440p monitor but I'm fine with 1080p, that just makes reaching 120fps a bit easier. Thanks for the answer.

GreekWolf

Well, I own the C6 and I am feeling damn fine about that TV.

You should. That's a phenomenal TV.

I was planning on looking for a C6 or even a C7 this year, but have been so impressed with this P605, I've decided to keep it until hdmi 2.1 arrives.

Putty

I only have space for 43" absolute max and none of whats appeared before is good enough for me. Lets see what 2018 models bring or even 32" monitors...

DieH@rd

Banned
If someone wants to use 4K set as PC monitor, in addition to 1080p120 mode, those panels can also be easily setup to playback ultra wide 3440x1440 resolution in 1:1 pixel ratio.

4k120 would require a ridiculous amount of power. Currently on a 1440p monitor but I'm fine with 1080p, that just makes reaching 120fps a bit easier. Thanks for the answer.
HDMI 2.1 specs bumps the cable from 18gbits to 48gbits, with up to 3x compression [144 Gbit/s max theoretical speed] which will enable up to 10K120 in 4:2:0. 10K60 4:4:4 with 24bit color is confirmed though.

Macaco84

only problem i have with the x900E is the lipsync issue, the speakers on the tv are terrible and sometimes the sound has delays so it causes lipsync problems, i was floored when i found out about this, i never heard about a tv having these type of issues, a quick google search confirmed i wasn't crazy and that in fact this is a problem with this model, so if you're thinking on getting one get a sound bar as well, even a cheap sound bar will be miles better than the tv speakers, the IQ on this tv on the other hand is absolutely phenomenal, specially how the tv handles lower resolution signals and upscale them.

Interesting. I have noticed a slight lip sync issue from time to time on some content but it seems to vary and is only there if I look for it. Are you finding this on all content you watch?

Top Bottom