• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEST TV For PS5?

iHaunter

I wanted to get this one but they didn’t have it in 55 here. So I went for the A90J which to me looks and functions like a dream. Best TV I’ve ever owned. It has put me off going to the cinema because everything just looks better in it.
Can't go wrong with Sony's. The TV can be slow sometimes. Thinking of resetting ours. Been a year+

tommib

Can't go wrong with Sony's. The TV can be slow sometimes. Thinking of resetting ours. Been a year+
I’ve disabled the dynamic menu and have the tile based one so that it’s not loading all this useless google crap. Check your storage. You might want to delete something.

Besides better colors,bright scenes look better due to the QD's.

Not really. Due to the higher color volume, bright scenes have better colors in bright scenes. I already mentioned that is their main strength. But the G4 actually gets brighter than the A95L, and side by side comparisons have some bright APL scenes looking better on the G4 (besides the color luminance).

ESCDOXn.jpeg

S0ULZB0URNE

Not really. Due to the higher color volume, bright scenes have better colors in bright scenes. I already mentioned that is their main strength. But the G4 actually gets brighter than the A95L, and side by side comparisons have some bright APL scenes looking better on the G4 (besides the color luminance).
But it doesn't hold the color volume in bright scenes as good.

But it doesn't hold the color volume in bright scenes as good.

I realize that. That’s the whole point of saying it has better color volume. You saying it does worse in bright scenes overall isn’t true in the sense the LG G4 gets brighter highlights and higher APL overall. But yes, it can’t keep the colors as saturated. So it’s a trade off.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I realize that. That’s the whole point of saying it has better color volume. You saying it does worse in bright scenes overall isn’t true in the sense the LG G4 gets brighter highlights and higher APL overall. But yes, it can’t keep the colors as saturated. So it’s a trade off.
The colors are worse in bright scenes.
No matter what LG does with WOLED/MLA it won't change this.

It's time for them to embrace QD-OLED or make something better if they want to change this.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The colors are worse in bright scenes.
No matter what LG does with WOLED/MLA it won't change this.

It's time for them to embrace QD-OLED or make something better if they want to change this.

So you’re now just repeating the same thing over and over. I’ve literally acknowledged the color difference from the start. Maybe you just don’t understand the two different concepts of color brightness and overall image brightness? They’re not the same thing. Good grief.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

So you’re now just repeating the same thing over and over. I’ve literally acknowledged the color difference from the start. Maybe you just don’t understand the two different concepts of color brightness and overall image brightness? They’re not the same thing. Good grief.
I explained that it's not just colors and it's not just peak brightness.

TBH I don't think you understand.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Such an interesting TV
I do not trust the name Brand and I purchased one of their premium models a few years ago (h9g qled) and the thing started dying on me in about 3 years. They are based in China so good luck dealing with the warranty hassle if something goes wrong. They also use cheaper parts. I am not going to deny the performance (my oled also has a much darker deeper contrast ratio) but you get what you pay for. Buy it and watch what happens in a few years.

Gamer79

Sony ZD9 for now, maybe Bravia 9 soon.

If you haven't played Dead Island 2 then I recommend it to show off HDR well, set the HDR white point to 1100-1200, black point to 0 and then if playing in a darkened room put the general brightness slider all the way down to 0, but you may need it higher, or even at the default of 25 if you're playing in a lit room and its night time in the game.

The way the fire looks with HDR on is... well... fire.
Good choice. The FF7 remake and Doom Eternal also look slick on it as well. I put the HDR on and 120fps on the PS5 and it runs super smooth and looks super slick!

Gamer79

If budget is of no issue, then A95L. LG C3 is everyone's favorite and reasonably priced. I have both in my house and they're both great. A95L is a better TV to pair with the PS5 IMO, but I can't say that it's worth twice the cost of the C3.
Yea I wanted the A95L but for a 65 inch it's about $3000. The Sammy I purchase has the best picture for the dollar on the market. I mean for $1600 you get a 65 inch Quatum Dot 1,000 nit minimum Oled with a super fast U.I and a 60 watt sound system built in plus a 5 year warranty. The value was too good with the S90C I bought.

Gamer79

The new Sony TVs announced recently are excellent. The Series 9 and Series 8 are an excellent choice. Also, I believe that Sony uses LG panels for their OLED TVs (Not for their QOLED, those are Samsung), so It's great.
Series 9 is not Oled at all. It is mini led.

Kuranghi

Yea I wanted the A95L but for a 65 inch it's about $3000. The Sammy I purchase has the best picture for the dollar on the market. I mean for $1600 you get a 65 inch Quatum Dot 1,000 nit minimum Oled with a super fast U.I and a 60 watt sound system built in plus a 5 year warranty. The value was too good with the S90C I bought.

I think for the majority its the best purchase at that price, as the price is amazing for such a bright OLED, it being a QD-OLED for better BT.2020 coverage as well. Rtings tells you to buy it unless you can easily afford the G3 or A95L, I agree with that.

For image quality nerds, I would suggest the duller Sony A84L with the LG OLED panel over S90C, because I dislike Samsung's image presentation philosophy.

I would save $200 more and get a Sony A84L, even though you lose the brightness and QD-OLED gamut increase over LG OLED, I consider Sony's image processing (in large part the motion interpolation specifically, which is necessary on OLED for pleasant 24fps content watching imo) so superior that its worth the trade off, plus the sound is better on the Sony due to the Acoustic Surface. The Samsung is 40W/2.1 on paper (Not sure where you're getting 60W from? The S95B had 60W and the S95C is 70W afaik), but the Hisense U7K for example is 40W and sounds better due to using a 20W sub rather than 2x 10W subwoofers. The Hisense U8K has a 50/60W sound system (depending on size of model) and it blows the Samsung away from my comparisons.

All thats just to give a bit of non-objective detail (like rtings gives) on the different OLEDs from Samsung, Sony and LG, not trying to make you feel bad about your purchase or anything, but just saying "this is the best purchase for everyone" isn't true imo, there are tradeoffs with the S90C that sometimes make a lower-tier/older OLED panel combined with other advantages, like: Sony processing, the OS, Dolby Vision support, sound system, image presentation/tonemapping philosophy, colour accuracy OotB.

For most people the image processing, motion, image presentation/tonemapping, colour accuracy differences are all irrelevant. So that only leaves the Dolby Vision advantage and sound system, which may be covered already by using an external sound system and the DV advantage is kind of a side-by-side situation, you won't know unless you see them both in a dark room.

When I sell TVs if people ask me whats the best overall to buy with flexible and large budget (with no external sound system and watching movies properly in a dark room), I'd generally say a Sony every time unless theres other factors like wall mounting or needs to be best gaming experience, then I'd recommend Samsung or LG.

Once you have a Sony, even your average punter, when they live with the image processing for a while, ime it does make them think other brands look lesser when they compare them after. Even if you don't know what the technical reasons are for it, time and time again I hear how they thought it was the best they've ever owned. Not everyone ofc, some people want that slim Samsung design or their more popping colours and they prefer that, each to their own.

TL;DR - Buy Any OLED except a B-series LG and you'll be insanely happy with it. B-series doesn't have good enough audio to use without a soundbar imo and the near black handling and brightness goes below a threshold where I'd expect many people will be happier with a Hisense 65 or 75" U8K or similar spec'd 65" MiniLED, though non exist at the price of the 65" B3/75" U8K. The same or bigger screen size MiniLED will be a better overall purchase than the 65" B3 unless you must have the best dark scenes and viewing angle to the detriment of almost everything else. The sound system is comically better and many people don't want to have external sound systems.

Kuranghi

Good choice. The FF7 remake and Doom Eternal also look slick on it as well. I put the HDR on and 120fps on the PS5 and it runs super smooth and looks super slick!
I haven't tried Doom Eternal on the PS5 but I see the praise of its HDR and perf is high.

FF7 Rebirth demo's HDR was insanely good looking for me, transformative, FF7 Remake was great too.

Gamer79

Samsung are known to not last.
The Hisense has a better and more capable picture.
If you are taking a mini Led tv set from a Chinese company with a shaky reputation over an Oled, I cannot respect your opinion. Hey if you like it go for it. We will disagree.

If you are taking a mini Led tv set from a Chinese company with a shaky reputation over an Oled, I cannot respect your opinion. Hey if you like it go for it. We will disagree.
Like you I had the H9G and I returned it because the UI was just so laggy

I did think it had a stellar picture though but QC issues worried me

My post from June of 2020

I have the 65" Sony X900H sitting at the house will be home late this weekend to put it through its paces.

Also just picked up the Hisense 65 H9G even though its a 4k 120hz panel its only HDMI 2.0 but wow the 4k HDR rivals my C9.

I can get the Xbox 1080p 120hz working on the Hisense but not 1440p 120hz.

Here is a picture I tried to capture the black levels on the Hisense no blooming to the naked eye.

GlRJZgc.jpg

This is the best tv for your ps5.

CFh9CGD.jpeg

With a max resolution of 14p. You may have to squint to read text, and everything is in black and white.

Gamer79

Like you I had the H9G and I returned it because the UI was just so laggy

I did think it had a stellar picture though but QC issues worried me

My post from June of 2020
Phenomenal picture for the price. I had an apple tv hooked up to it because the U.I was slow. I have a saying, Burn me once that is Shame on you, burn me twice it is shame on me. Hisense has the best performance per dollar but I can't trust their product again. You also have to wonder how they produce their Tv's so cheap. Slave labor, Cheap parts, etc?

Phenomenal picture for the price. I had an apple tv hooked up to it because the U.I was slow. I have a saying, Burn me once that is Shame on you, burn me twice it is shame on me. Hisense has the best performance per dollar but I can't trust their product again. You also have to wonder how they produce their Tv's so cheap. Slave labor, Cheap parts, etc?
I will admit even 4 years ago now it was probably the closest thing I had seen to OLED with a much brighter picture

S0ULZB0URNE

I will take a Chinese company(especially TCL who makes panels for other brands) over a Korean brand.

reinking

Gold Member
I do not trust the name Brand and I purchased one of their premium models a few years ago (h9g qled) and the thing started dying on me in about 3 years. They are based in China so good luck dealing with the warranty hassle if something goes wrong. They also use cheaper parts. I am not going to deny the performance (my oled also has a much darker deeper contrast ratio) but you get what you pay for. Buy it and watch what happens in a few years.
I have a U8 model from last year for one of my TVs. I bought it because A. The TV is mostly used for background/news and B. I did not want to use a sound bar for this TV and it seems to have sufficient sound without one.

My view on these TCL/HiSense TVs longevity is a bit different. This TV cost me almost one third of the price of the Sony I was looking at. So, if this TV only last me three years and I decided to continue down this line, I would buy two more upgrades and still spend almost the same amount that I would have spent on the Sony over the next 9-10 years. Don't get me wrong, my next TV purchase will possibly be a Sony for a different room but for day-to-day use, these cheap TVs offer a more affordable upgrade path for people on a budget. Picture is surprisingly good on my U8 and the sound is not terrible without a sound bar.

TLDR; For longevity, invest in a better brand. For an affordable upgrade path, buy cheap and feature rich. Only expect to get about 3 years out of it.

S0ULZB0URNE

lol notice how no one is liking your post but mine is? It’s because you’re the one making no sense.

P.s. we’ve quoted each other an even number of times back and forth, so…
Are you seriously bragging that a LG fanboy is liking your posts?
You gotta be a kid.

Gamer79

Are you seriously bragging that a LG fanboy is liking your posts?
You gotta be a kid.
I agree with Sticking to a major brand like Samsung, LG, or Sony but not be loyal to either. I pick between the major brands and choose the best price vs performance. I will not buy another Chinese brand after my TCL died on me in a couple years and the Hisense has issues in less than 3 years old.

For example: To get the same slightly better performance than my S90c 65 inch at $1599 the only Sony that matches and does outperform it a tad is the Sony A95L. The A95L cost $3500 at 65 inches. Its a tad better of a tv but not worth the price. The LG G3 is the matchup vs the S90c and the LG G3 goes for $2300 and is marginally better. If money is no object good for you but most should be going for the value. Also always a warranty these days. IF you matchup the LG C3 the S90c is a much brighter more colorful tv.

I love playing games. The Samsung S90c is the best Oled for gaming price/picture ratio in many reviewer opinions. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/s90c-oled

IF it were the Sony or LG in my price point I would of chosen one of those. As stated earlier it is wise to stick to a major brand but not be loyal to one.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I agree with Sticking to a major brand like Samsung, LG, or Sony but not be loyal to either. I pick between the major brands and choose the best price vs performance. I will not buy another Chinese brand after my TCL died on me in a couple years and the Hisense has issues in less than 3 years old.

For example: To get the same slightly better performance than my S90c 65 inch at $1599 the only Sony that matches and does outperform it a tad is the Sony A95L. The A95L cost $3500 at 65 inches. Its a tad better of a tv but not worth the price. The LG G3 is the matchup vs the S90c and the LG G3 goes for $2300 and is marginally better. If money is no object good for you but most should be going for the value. Also always a warranty these days. IF you matchup the LG C3 the S90c is a much brighter more colorful tv.

I love playing games. The Samsung S90c is the best Oled for gaming price/picture ratio in many reviewer opinions. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/s90c-oled

IF it were the Sony or LG in my price point I would of chosen one of those. As stated earlier it is wise to stick to a major brand but not be loyal to one.
I wasn't referring to you nor do I have issue with your preference.

Sony(Japanese)is my main,I rather Chinese than Korean brands and LG is probably my least favorite. But that's me.

That’s the best you’ve got? 🤣

I can understand saying someone is being childish but to accuse someone of actually being a kid is a lazy way to have a conversation.
And the vote for irrelevant poster wasting my time goes 2....

I wasn't referring to you nor do I have issue with your preference.

Sony(Japanese)is my main,I rather Chinese than Korean brands and LG is probably my least favorite. But that's me.

And the vote for irrelevant poster wasting my time goes 2....

Still quoting me I see? Looks like you just can’t get me out of your head.

Last edited:
Top Bottom