• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEST TV For PS5?

Kuranghi

I'm looking at the upcoming Sony Bravia 7, apparently it might be a repackage X95L.
If true, that's a fantastic Value.
Early reviews are saying almost same as X95L, better than X93L anyway, sounds great as you say.

What do you have now?

I did, it takes a bit of time to adjust. I noticed a very crappy feeling on ps5 Quality mode games without motion blur. But somehow playing final fantasy XIII on PS3 feels fine to me.
That's because plasma supported smooth 24 frame motion. Besides crt, no other display tech supported it right. That and the really good plasmas had that 2500hz subfield.

That explains some of it. My friends still talk about how smooth my tv looks lol.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
As of now LG G4. Wait until next January to buy it though when prices drop like a stone for the new revisions.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

truth411

Early reviews are saying almost same as X95L, better than X93L anyway, sounds great as you say.

What do you have now?
Still Useing the good old faithful Sony 930e. Brightness/HDR is important to me and the 930e still out perform most Led tvs today when it comes to Brightness/ HDR highlights. But it's a 65", I want an 85" for the living room.

StereoVsn

Plasma is still amazing. You ever play games that aren't 60 fps on an oled? When they hit 30 or 20 fps that oled looks like it's possessed or something. I believe they made a movie about it called The Excorcist.
Yeah, playing 30 FPS games in an OLED just doesn’t feel good. 40 FPS or variable refresh rate ones feel a lot better (as long as VRR doesn’t drop below 40).

ShakenG

Long as you measured ur sitting distance.. dont think you can make any bad choices between LG, Sony and Samsung these days.

I would definitively recommend a Sony Bravia. I have checked many tvs, but no other brand still reaches the same upscaling quality level. I sometimes have trouble to make a difference between native and upscaled content.

Justin9mm

If you buying 65 inch, don't be one of those people sitting 3+ metres from it :messenger_unamused:

Viewing distance is one of the most important considerations that a lot of people overlook. Learn how to calculate your peripheral vision.

If you buying 65 inch, don't be one of those people sitting 3+ metres from it :messenger_unamused:

Viewing distance is one of the most important considerations that a lot of people overlook. Learn how to calculate your peripheral vision.

Yup.

coffinbirth

You don't need that if you have a decent AVR/Sound system. One cable eARC from TV to AVR, job done.
For full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 switching? The ENTRY LEVEL price for an AVR with that feature is 5x more than a simple switchbox, and to get 4 of them is about $1k, last I checked.

Garibaldi

Something cheap cuz the PS5 can’t really max out most modern TVs .. by that I mean how many games can the PS5 run at 4k and 120fps? That’s what it would take to take full advantage of a 4k120hz TV
4K 120hz with VRR gives you access to 40fps mode in supported titles. Very useful imo.

Perrott

Gold Member
Why would you want 144hz?

120hz is actually the best refresh rate for games, especially when you consider that console titles do run at either 30fps (each frame is quadrupled), 60fps (each frame is doubled) or 120fps (native refresh rate).

Sony kd 55a9f oled

Love the tv, picture and sound are fantastic. No burn in issues, or complaints

Just lacks an hdmi 2.1 chipset and not being bigger, but at the price I got it for. It was a steal a few years back

Not really looking, but did see a lg c3 65” in Costco for around £1250 and was very tempted. Just the weak sound puts me off (family have various lg b, c and g TVs. So I’ve seen them in action). But the lure of modern features is strong

Waiting to see what happens when micro led hits and the prices (will probably wait till at least the sales on the 2nd gen happen). But that won’t stop me browsing a bargain if I can 😁👍 and would easily buy another Sony oled again 😎

buenoblue

Something cheap cuz the PS5 can’t really max out most modern TVs .. by that I mean how many games can the PS5 run at 4k and 120fps? That’s what it would take to take full advantage of a 4k120hz TV
You also get the option of 40fps modes with 120hz TV's.

OP I have a S95B which is pretty similar to your s90c and it's amazing. Plenty bright and the I love the game motion plus on Samsung tvs, it smooths out 30fps console games and gets rid of the panning double image nicle and keeps input lag down to 30ms. Really came in handy with FF16 and rebirth ☺️.

That's the only thing missing on LG oleds. They should do a gaming frame interpolation mode I'm surprised they haven't yet with framegen being all the rage.

buenoblue

I purchased a LG C3 during Black Friday, was totally unplanned, the old TV snap that very day. I didn't thought that I would use it that much but after that one and the SD OLED, impossible that I go back to regular LCD. I'm just sad I took a 55" (for replacing the old 46") but as soon the old 65" snaps, I'll go OLED 75", no doubt. Those LG TVs got the 4 HDMI 2.1 that you require.
How are you snapping your tvs 😂😂😂

Justin9mm

For full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 switching? The ENTRY LEVEL price for an AVR with that feature is 5x more than a simple switchbox, and to get 4 of them is about $1k, last I checked.
Didn't say it was cheap but neither is gaming and neither is a TV so any person serious about their entertainment gaming/movies should have a surround sound system.

Justin9mm

Yup.

I have an 85 inch, the calculator suggests 3.63m but I sit about 3.2 metres from it. Still have tons of peripheral vision, TV could honestly be bigger lol

coffinbirth

Didn't say it was cheap but neither is gaming and neither is a TV so any person serious about their entertainment gaming/movies should have a surround sound system.
Again, not really what he was saying. Has nothing to do with eARC or surround sound AT ALL. This was about someone only having 2 HDMI 2.1 ports on their tv and using a switchbox as a solution. YOUR suggestion reads like someone that isn't thinking this won't DOUBLE their budget or is completely unnecessary for simply switching inputs. The "any person serious about gaming" bit is just cringe.

Also, LMFAO at people suggesting Hisense over Sony, LG or even Samsung. There's a reason why they lost their status as a recommended brand from Consumer Reports...they are a trash-tier company.

truth411

Hmm… interesting choice over the OLED certainly. Don’t think I would move unless I had a bright room, but will watch some reviews.
OLED vs LED LCD depends on your situation. If your watching in a darker room or watch TV with the lights off in a dark room, OLED is best. But in a Bright room with windows LED LCD especially combined with HDR, LED LCDs is better. Quality LED LCDs have a much brighter APL than OLEDs, but OLEDs have perfect black levels. So again it isn't a one size fit all, it depends on what's best for you.

Mercador

How are you snapping your tvs 😂😂😂
lol probably not the good verb, sorry English isn't my native language. When the TV died, it snap like a balloon explosion, *pop*, my daughter and I were playing Tetris, we were quite surprised. I didn't expect TVs to die like this. I guess it was a capacitor explosion, there were a lot of little white ribbons behind the TV.

Kings Field

LG G4

When it comes to reliability I have never had any issues with any of my LG TVs. This includes a LG LCD that I bought in 2008 that is still going today that my mom currently uses 18 hours a day.

The only other brand I can say that about when it comes to TV’s is Sony.

Justin9mm

Again, not really what he was saying. Has nothing to do with eARC or surround sound AT ALL. This was about someone only having 2 HDMI 2.1 ports on their tv and using a switchbox as a solution. YOUR suggestion reads like someone that isn't thinking this won't DOUBLE their budget or is completely unnecessary for simply switching inputs. The "any person serious about gaming" bit is just cringe.

Also, LMFAO at people suggesting Hisense over Sony, LG or even Samsung. There's a reason why they lost their status as a recommended brand from Consumer Reports...they are a trash-tier company.
I saw nothing about having a budget. It was more of a joke that comment. No need to take it too seriously.

Quite easily the LG G4 once on sale during Black Friday. It comes with a 5-year burn in warranty unlike the C4. It gets VERY bright, has a new processor, etc. It’s the TV that I’m going to get. I don’t recommend the C4, G3/C3 etc. as the colors are dimmer in Game Mode than outside of it. Makes a big difference to vibrancy.

Last edited:

iHaunter

You think so? I don’t notice much difference in most content between QD-OLED and LG’s newest MLA tech.
I mean, compared to what it was at the time, it was best in class with no contest. I'm speaking strictly OLED vs QD-OLED. A95K was released in 2022 so it wouldn't be surprising if there's competition catching up 2 years later.

I mean, compared to what it was at the time, it was best in class with no contest. I'm speaking strictly OLED vs QD-OLED. A95K was released in 2022 so it wouldn't be surprising if there's competition catching up 2 years later.

Yeah fair enough.

QD-OLED is better.

I’m aware it has the better color gamut and volume. But I also don’t feel that it’s much of a factor in most content. Only certain scenes.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I've been happy with my Lg C1.
Games look great and it has all the cool features like VRR and 120hz. Yeah it's not that bright though to me that's not an issue as I do like 90% of my gaming in the evening and/or night.
Also personally I've never really noticed the 30fps thing people say, as long as the there's correct frame pacing and decent motion blur it's not like 30fps are unplayable (though 60 is obviously always preferable),

My only real issue with it is that it insists on constantly switching over the the "game mode" audio profile which makes the already weak speakers sound even worse. I know I should just get a soundbar at some point but the fact it insists on destroying the audio from the built in speakers still sucks.
I got a Samsung sound bar for my QN90B Mini LED TV and it happens to me as well, seems like I'm not safe anywhere lol. I'm just learning to live with it because switching ask the time is a bummer.

tommib

A95K - 65"

Best TV I've owned. QD-OLED is a game changer.
I wanted to get this one but they didn’t have it in 55 here. So I went for the A90J which to me looks and functions like a dream. Best TV I’ve ever owned. It has put me off going to the cinema because everything just looks better in it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's gonna be an LG. C or G. I'm normally a Sony fan, but they aren't making any new OLEDs (although they still sell last year's model), instead betting on Mini LED. They also don't support 144hz AFAIK. They are also still, in the year 2024, stuck with just two HDMI 2.1 ports, one of which is the ARC port and will thus be taken up by your receiver if you have one.

So yeah, I'll be going LG when I upgrade from my 2017 Sony.

Last edited:
You'll likely wait a very, very long time ^^
Probably 🤣🤣🤣🫣

But my Sony set is still going strong and I haven’t found a compelling reason to want or need an upgrade

(Other than just tv size 😁).

I was tempted by the 65 lg C3. I saw in Costco for £1250. Maybe next year 🤣 but they do seem to be clearing last years models at the moment, across a few brands

Top Bottom