• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG announces 2023 OLED TV lineup up to 70% brighter

YCoCg

dont know why anyone would want these for playing console games on because they have a bad latency .. even the high end ones..
...What? OLEDs have the fastest pixel refresh and response, it's literally matching single frame on both 60fps and 120fps content.

Fools idol

Banned
...What? OLEDs have the fastest pixel refresh and response, it's literally matching single frame on both 60fps and 120fps content.

huh?

I had an OLED LG and it had 'gaming' screen setting. I tried the PS5 on there and the button press had an input lag that was so noticable I couldnt play anything properly. It felt like a second at least. I though that was the norm so I moved the OLED upstairs and got a normal TV for the Ps5..

Yerd

huh?

I had an OLED LG and it had 'gaming' screen setting. I tried the PS5 on there and the button press had an input lag that was so noticable I couldnt play anything properly. It felt like a second at least. I though that was the norm so I moved the OLED upstairs and got a normal TV for the Ps5..
You should do some research on your tv and find out how to get the proper setup.

Reallink

huh?

The really old models might have been bad (been making them since 2010), but dating back to at least 2016 with the B6/C6, they have been pretty much the fastest TV's you can buy. The '16 and '17's were in the 20's ms range (which is still excellent) in Game Mode and PC Mode, and they've improved a little bit every year. The '21's and '22's are like 10ms @ 60Hz and 6ms @ 120Hz. Outside of Game/PC Mode they do reach over 100ms though, so that was probably your issue.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Why is there an obsession with brightness? I watch everything in total darkness. OLED is bright enough.

A focus on burn in prevention > brightness.

Oh and I'm also sure the brightness will come at a cost at a massive increase in power consumption. For us Europeans this isn't ideal.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Why is there an obsession with brightness? I watch everything in total darkness. OLED is bright enough.

Oh and I'm also sure the brightness will come at a cost at a massive increase in power consumption. For us Europeans this isn't ideal.
I get where you're coming from I watch films mainly at night and gaming early afternoons on a Saturday, but with the blinds down. I'm not to keen on my eyes being burnt out of there sockets lol.

m5V9vDm.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
dont know why anyone would want these for playing console games on because they have a bad latency .. even the high end ones..
What?
It’s 6-10 ms.
Effectively lower than monitors because of instant pixel response.
Get your head out of your ass

Whitecrow

Banned

It's not "brightness".

It's the level of detail and the maximum number of different colors in an image to get closer and closer to reality, which is the nature of display evolution.

You cant create new colors, but you can increase the number of shades of the existing ones, and that's where increased max brightness comes in.

But if you dont want that level of brightness, you can still decrease the brightness setting in the TV HDR modes.

After I got the service remote and turned off abl and the logo dimmer, my c1 is bright. The only problem is dark scenes during daylight but that’s because of reflections

Three

Once again, it's really not, what you've described is a situation where the nits are rounded up because the HDR range is compressed, under a higher nit display, coming out of the cave would be a smoother transition, where as the top end would only be used for the extremes (such as the sun), everything else will be spread across a higher range creating a more dynamic picture.
I'm not sure I understand this. Isn't this peak brightness and not better range?

gonna be real interesting when microLED hits the market.

excited for 100"+ 8k.
might cost ~$10k but mommy wow, im a big boy now.

Why are you quoting Huggies Pull-Up commercials from the 1990s? 😄

Last edited:

YCoCg

I'm not sure I understand this. Isn't this peak brightness and not better range?
Think of it like this....

Movies are mastered at either 4,000 nits or 10,000 nits. Dynamic tone mapping is "squashing" or compressing that down to your OLED's current range, say 800 nits, that means everything gets pushed together, the brightest parts of the sun has to be 800 nits meanwhile a sun drenched beach is like 780 nits despite the master of it being a few hundred nits apart. The MORE nits you have the wider the range the HDR will be as it has more room to "breath" and be less compressed, which in turn means you'll get a more dynamic image.

Easiest way to describe it would be to take a 4k image and resize it to 720p, the source is the same but now it's been compressed down to a lower resolution. Now take that same 4k image and resize it 1080p, yeah you're still making it smaller but now the resolution is bigger than before and the image looks better and contains more detail.

Tarin02543

Can we also talk Samsung? I hope their 50 inch micro led tv is 1080p and becomes semi affordable five years from now.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Thank the lord!

I know that a lot of Gaffers own LG OLEDs and will hear no ill about them but the brightness is currently woeful. This will be a game changer.
I own one in a south facing room with big fecking windies, i have no issues with it during the day, granted night time viewing is subime but day time viewing isnt an issue

Thinking about upgrading but not sure. Have a E7 that has annoying auto dimming and some burn in on red. But also not sure I want to drop a couple grand on a technically unnecessary upgrade when I just had a kid.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You are not supposed to consume media critically when the sun is shining on the tv.
Roll the blinds or watch at night.
No tv is brighter than a fucking sun lol.

You are indoor. Your eyes accommodated to lower brightness. So it’s fine for a tv. But sun shining from outside is way brighter.
Not supposed to sure but when its super nice out its nice to be able to open the sliding windows and listen to the water AND consume media, its just what we enjoy doing

So if TVs come out with higher peak brightness that helps my wife and I enjoy how we like to consume media than whats the problem if people actually want more peak brightness?

A blanket statement of X number of nits if fine for everyone just simply isn't true and it seems to get under people's skin

I would never tell you how to enjoy how you consume media, whatever works for you is awesome, so I don't understand why people feel the need to tell me I am consuming media wrong

No Idea Idk GIF by Muppet Wiki

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not supposed to sure but when its super nice out its nice to be able to open the sliding windows and listen to the water AND consume media, its just what we enjoy doing

So if TVs come out with higher peak brightness that helps my wife and I enjoy how we like to consume media than whats the problem if people actually want more peak brightness?

A blanket statement of X number of nits if fine for everyone just simply isn't true and it seems to get under people's skin

I would never tell you how to enjoy how you consume media, whatever works for you is awesome, so I don't understand why people feel the need to tell me I am consuming media wrong

No Idea Idk GIF by Muppet Wiki
I mean. Sure. I am not telling you what to do.
Bright nits will overcome reflections but black parts of the image will still be crushed by reflections. So not even 10k nits will help

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I mean. Sure. I am not telling you what to do.
Bright nits will overcome reflections but black parts of the image will still be crushed by reflections. So not even 10k nits will help
In all honesty through the day I am not looking for the perfect picture I just want a nice set that can overcome my terribly designed room

At night when we watch stuff when we go to bed the C9 is still perfectly fine and still gets plenty bright

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In all honesty through the day I am not looking for the perfect picture I just want a nice set that can overcome my terribly designed room

At night when we watch stuff when we go to bed the C9 is still perfectly fine and still gets plenty bright
understandable. I also don' close blinds fully during the day but I rarely do any critical watching during the day.
Why would anyone bother with perfect picture for youtube or twitch

Kuranghi

I'm not sure you'll be able to watch HDR with all the lights on/big windows like you have for a long while, not until the peak brightness is crazy high so when the shadows are lifted to make them visible in your conditions it still has tons of juice to make the mids/highlights even brighter than the elevated shadows.

Does Dolby Vision IQ help at all? Thats part of what its for, to make HDR watchable in bright rooms by doing what I wrote above. You have a ZD9/Z9D right? Thats definitely going to help but still not bright enough really.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm not sure you'll be able to watch HDR with all the lights on/big windows like you have for a long while, not until the peak brightness is crazy high so when the shadows are lifted to make them visible in your conditions it still has tons of juice to make the mids/highlights even brighter than the elevated shadows.

Does Dolby Vision IQ help at all? Thats part of what its for, to make HDR watchable in bright rooms by doing what I wrote above. You have a ZD9/Z9D right? Thats definitely going to help but still not bright enough really.
My main TV for the day is a QN90A then we have the C9 now in the bedroom

The QN does quite well through the day actually

dotnotbot

FINALLY, for those who keep saying "Why do I want a brighter screen, my 800 nits is good enough", here Vincent has done a video explaining what I've been saying in this thread...

Holy shit, 800+ on 25% window is crazy
pnDJDtz.png

EDIT: And same fucking old SOC with subpar near-black gradation. Fuck me. I really wanted to buyt Panasonic this year.

Last edited:
Nope, love our set up and prefer TVs with higher peak brightness and sorry that seems to bother some that I prefer to not be in a dungeon to watch my TV

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco
I had Grandparents who spent most of their time in a Sunroom they built out back. They asked me to help them find a TV they could see during the day. We went to Sams Club and I asked to turn the sets completely off and chose one that that looked darkest in Off mode in the bright lights of the warehouse. Glossy was quickly ruled out and the sets with a matte looked best. Loss of sharpness but better contrast with the sun shinning in.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm just going to ride my c9 and c1 until the wheels fall off. One is in the basement, the other in the bedroom and both blind me if a person on screen shines a flashlight at the camera.

The Alien

Banned
I had the same dilemma this time last year when I picked up my 65" C1. I had planned to pick up a C2 on release but it was difficult to argue with the crazy sale prices I was seeing on the C1.

For me the 65" C2 launched in the UK @ £2699. At the same time I managed to find a 65" C1 @ £1350. That was literally half the price of the new model. With the difference I could have purchased all the latest consoles with change or one of the top end soundbars. For me it was a no brainer.
Yeah, the deals here i have been previously unseen (and I've been watching)! Lol.

I may have to go with the C2. Likely looking at the 77" ($2300 USD with extended warranties) but even deals on the 83" make it pretty tempting too ($3000 USD) 👀!!!

Yerd

You can really see a difference in that angle shot of both TVs, at both angles it's quite a big difference.

I have yet to own an OLED tv. I keep holding out for the perfect model. I very nearly bought a 77 c2 or g2 last month. But, I think I'll wait even longer and go with the g3, probably.

I bought a cheap roku tv years ago (the one everyone loved) as a stop gap, with the intention of getting oled tv when the price was right. Good prices last year, but now I'm so close to next model year, I might as well see how they pan out.

[Sigma]

I don't find anything impressive about the LG 2023 lineup so far. I'm so over the brightness wars. I'm just concerned about motion clarity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom