• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BEST TV For PS5?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I was in the market for a new TV after my 2nd one in 5 years started to die. I made up my mind I wanted an oled with a long warranty. Looking at the Best brands I researched (65 inch) Sony,LG, and Samsung tv's on the market. I wanted a great set but didn't want to break the bank. I was always scared of Oled due to them being so dim. I found the perfect solution with the Samsung tv's that have the built in Quantum dots that really bring up the brightness. Wow breathtaking! Deep blacks and insane colors. Motion is buttery smooth.

VRR support
144hz
Game Bar
4 HDMI 2.1 ports

I picked up a 65inch Samsung S90C from costco for $1600 with a 5 year warranty and holy shit it's mind blowing. The Sony A95L is a bit better but almost twice as much. The LG C3 is the direct competitor but again too dim for my liking. What is your choice tv of choice?

cormack12

Gold Member
tumblr_pksfmr7K5Q1taguch_540.gif

the-office-michael-scott.png

StereoVsn

I have a 65” C3 in the basement for the consoles. It works great in that space as the room isn’t super bright.

Edit: Also have a 42” C2 I use as a monitor for PC gaming. And it’s amazing as well.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
LG CX for modern stuff on the couch.
Some LG 1440p/144hz for modern stuff on the desk.
Sony Trinitron for retro stuff.

TheShocker

I have a 42in LG C2 OLED and I have absolutely zero complaints. The newest model is about to drop or is just now releasing, the C4. Not sure on any major differences, but last years C3 has been heavily discounted places.

Fbh

I've been happy with my Lg C1.
Games look great and it has all the cool features like VRR and 120hz. Yeah it's not that bright though to me that's not an issue as I do like 90% of my gaming in the evening and/or night.
Also personally I've never really noticed the 30fps thing people say, as long as the there's correct frame pacing and decent motion blur it's not like 30fps are unplayable (though 60 is obviously always preferable),

My only real issue with it is that it insists on constantly switching over the the "game mode" audio profile which makes the already weak speakers sound even worse. I know I should just get a soundbar at some point but the fact it insists on destroying the audio from the built in speakers still sucks.

Zuzu

I use an LG 55 C1 and it’s great. I am currently sitting under 6 feet from it so it provides a big screen experience from that distance.

S0ULZB0URNE

I was in the market for a new TV after my 2nd one in 5 years started to die. I made up my mind I wanted an oled with a long warranty. Looking at the Best brands I researched (65 inch) Sony,LG, and Samsung tv's on the market. I wanted a great set but didn't want to break the bank. I was always scared of Oled due to them being so dim. I found the perfect solution with the Samsung tv's that have the built in Quantum dots that really bring up the brightness. Wow breathtaking! Deep blacks and insane colors. Motion is buttery smooth.

VRR support
144hz
Game Bar
4 HDMI 2.1 ports

I picked up a 65inch Samsung S90C from costco for $1600 with a 5 year warranty and holy shit it's mind blowing. The Sony A95L is a bit better but almost twice as much. The LG C3 is the direct competitor but again too dim for my liking. What is your choice tv of choice?
The Hisense U8N is a better more capable tv than that.

twilo99

Something cheap cuz the PS5 can’t really max out most modern TVs .. by that I mean how many games can the PS5 run at 4k and 120fps? That’s what it would take to take full advantage of a 4k120hz TV

Bojji

Something cheap cuz the PS5 can’t really max out most modern TVs .. by that I mean how many games can the PS5 run at 4k and 120fps? That’s what it would take to take full advantage of a 4k120hz TV

You still get much better quality with good panel that actually supports HDR (cheap panels with 300 nits brightness and no local dimming - do not). VRR also helps.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Sony ZD9 for now, maybe Bravia 9 soon.

If you haven't played Dead Island 2 then I recommend it to show off HDR well, set the HDR white point to 1100-1200, black point to 0 and then if playing in a darkened room put the general brightness slider all the way down to 0, but you may need it higher, or even at the default of 25 if you're playing in a lit room and its night time in the game.

The way the fire looks with HDR on is... well... fire.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

It is in the price range he spent.
U9N is supposed to be something as well... although a different price range.

Yeah I saw that, sort of slightly cut down UXN, but I don't think its gonna be in the UK region since Hisense UK product managers haven't mentioned it to me once, its all a bit confusing tbh. UXN will be in the UK I'm told, but only the 85" and 110", the 75" should be in the UK region imo, no one is going to pay £5000+ for a Hisense without speaking to someone like me first, ie someone who will explain that its worth that money.

U8N will only be here in 65" and 75", which is annoying af.

twilo99

You still get much better quality with good panel that actually supports HDR (cheap panels with 300 nits brightness and no local dimming - do not). VRR also helps.

Sure but really you are “future proofing” more than anything

Bojji

Sure but really you are “future proofing” more than anything

Yeah, many PS5 games have some low resolution etc. But HDR is one of the biggest differences in image quality in the last decade and even a low res game with good HDR support can look quite ok.

With cheap TV you don't get HDR experience (like, at all), plus future proofing also works - PS5 Pro is around the corner that will have much better IQ and there is also option to connect PC and other consoles (Xbox, Switch 2?).

Last edited:

King Dazzar

It's hard to buy a bad TV these days. Just check that you're happy with the particular panel's uniformity you get as QC isn't always where it should be. I'm fortunate enough to have a 65" OLED in my bedroom and an 85" Master Series LCD in my living room.

plasma was amazing for ps3 and ps4, only downside was power consumption and screen burn problems.
Plasma is still amazing. You ever play games that aren't 60 fps on an oled? When they hit 30 or 20 fps that oled looks like it's possessed or something. I believe they made a movie about it called The Excorcist.

Plasma is still amazing. You ever play games that aren't 60 fps on an oled? When they hit 30 or 20 fps that oled looks like it's possessed or something. I believe they made a movie about it called The Excorcist.
I did, it takes a bit of time to adjust. I noticed a very crappy feeling on ps5 Quality mode games without motion blur. But somehow playing final fantasy XIII on PS3 feels fine to me.

Gamer79

Yeah I saw that, sort of slightly cut down UXN, but I don't think its gonna be in the UK region since Hisense UK product managers haven't mentioned it to me once, its all a bit confusing tbh. UXN will be in the UK I'm told, but only the 85" and 110", the 75" should be in the UK region imo, no one is going to pay £5000+ for a Hisense without speaking to someone like me first, ie someone who will explain that its worth that money.

U8N will only be here in 65" and 75", which is annoying af.
I will never go Hisense again. My H9G backlight started to burn out after 3 years. They have good performance for cheap Chinese parts. No Thx

Gamer79

The Hisense U8N is a better more capable tv than that.
Nope . My hisense burned out in less than 3 years. I will stick with the Sammy. Also u8n doesn't offer the deep blacks. It's good for a backlight but do not trust the brand.

RCU005

The new Sony TVs announced recently are excellent. The Series 9 and Series 8 are an excellent choice. Also, I believe that Sony uses LG panels for their OLED TVs (Not for their QOLED, those are Samsung), so It's great.

Little Mac

I’m rocking a 55in Hisense U7K. Has VRR and 144hz. Definitely doesn’t compare to an LG OLED but I got it for like $550 on sale last year. I’d love an OLED one day when my budget allows it.

Mercador

I purchased a LG C3 during Black Friday, was totally unplanned, the old TV snap that very day. I didn't thought that I would use it that much but after that one and the SD OLED, impossible that I go back to regular LCD. I'm just sad I took a 55" (for replacing the old 46") but as soon the old 65" snaps, I'll go OLED 75", no doubt. Those LG TVs got the 4 HDMI 2.1 that you require.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I will never go Hisense again. My H9G backlight started to burn out after 3 years. They have good performance for cheap Chinese parts. No Thx

Fair enough pal, I understand bad experiences leave a sour note.

Anyway, what HDR games have you tried so far?

I currently have a LG C2 55.

I almost got whatever the Samsung OLED was at the time but I’ve had terrible experiences with Samsung.

I’ve always wanted a Sony but they have always been expensive.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I think I’m going to pickup a Hisense u88km here pretty fast, 144 hz and vrr. It’s not the best tv and there are quality control issues from time to time but it should do the deed. Getting it from Costco too so very little concern about issues.

Top Bottom