• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG announces 2023 OLED TV lineup up to 70% brighter

Kuranghi

The quote was the G3 is 70% brighter than the B-series, the B2 was 700 nits on 2/5% windows in HDR, so this means it will probably be around 1100-1200 nits, ie 100-200 more than last years G2. It's clever wording, at least they aren't just talking complete shite like Samsung saying the new QD-OLED will be 2000 nits 🙄

Some interesting changes for sure this year but it's not a big year for innovation I don't think. I'm more excited to see how lesser brands improve, like Hisense and TCL, hopefully start to fix their shortcomings like MEMC stutter on scene changes, peak highlight clipping, red bleed on LCD sets and more.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This great invention called curtains
Yup because I should want to shut off my view of the outside world just to watch my TV

Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Is that good? My brother has a 2022 Oled tv and it was already blinding me. Too bright hdr content just looks too distracting to me. Maybe i am weird, but i don't like to look at the sun while gaming.

Kinda same for me. I did find my earlier C9 brightness (max about 700nits) lacking in HDR, but the new G2 (slightly >1000nits) is super bright in HDR and I think that's just perfect.

If the new TVs indeed reach 1700 odd nits (70% increase), that's too much IMHO.

TonyK

Are they solved the gamma flickering issue with oled in these new TVs? I have a LG CX and the problem is very noticeable at VRR 120hz in dark scenes when the framerate fluctuates. I know it can't be solved with a firmware in actual oled TVs because is a hardware problem, but maybe these new ones don't have the issue?

MikeM

Great to see the major downside to OLED addressed. My C1 is in my basement so it’s plenty bright for my use case.

Pagusas

Elden Member
super sad to see they didn't give the brightness imporvement to the 83", its the perfect size for our living room and I could never downgrade to 77"

The Alien

Banned
Arrrrgggghh!!!!

Was looking to upgrade and get a 2022 on the cheap. Now this info make me think i may wait a smidge longer.

Arrrrgggghh!!!!

Was looking to upgrade and get a 2022 on the cheap. Now this info make me think i may wait a smidge longer.

I had the same dilemma this time last year when I picked up my 65" C1. I had planned to pick up a C2 on release but it was difficult to argue with the crazy sale prices I was seeing on the C1.

For me the 65" C2 launched in the UK @ £2699. At the same time I managed to find a 65" C1 @ £1350. That was literally half the price of the new model. With the difference I could have purchased all the latest consoles with change or one of the top end soundbars. For me it was a no brainer.

Last edited:

Housh

This is the correct move for LG to combat QD-OLED. Let's see what samsung and sony got instore for 2023.

CLW

They doing a 97” again? IF they drop the price to the cost of the Sony/jvc 4k projectors (and screen) I’m in

Sleepwalker

Not going for a regular WOLED after using QD OLED for a bit. Specially if QD OLEDs will be 77 inches this year.

I'm interested however, in a 42 inch C3 if the price is right. I think the 34 inch qd oled monitor is too small

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
2000 nits is too much bright suns in the face!.
Seriously, I have c1 and it's 800 nits peak I already pushing it hen you exit from a cave in uncharted and so on.
Remember that oleds are supposed to be played inside... with blinds dimmed or lights off/limited. As any tv should really.
In this situation your eyes are adjusted to being inside, so this might be a lot

YCoCg

2000 nits is too much bright suns in the face!.
Seriously, I have c1 and it's 800 nits peak I already pushing it hen you exit from a cave in uncharted and so on.
Remember that oleds are supposed to be played inside... with blinds dimmed or lights off/limited. As any tv should really.
In this situation your eyes are adjusted to being inside, so this might be a lot
Once again, it's really not, what you've described is a situation where the nits are rounded up because the HDR range is compressed, under a higher nit display, coming out of the cave would be a smoother transition, where as the top end would only be used for the extremes (such as the sun), everything else will be spread across a higher range creating a more dynamic picture.

I know people like OLEDS but this talk about "800 nits is enough" is just akin to "30fps is fine, 60fps isn't needed and 120fps is too much", until you experience the larger range you won't know what it's actually doing, currently HDR is heavily compressed when it's tonemapped down to less than a tenth of its value.

Faster switching in and out of HDR modes.
I need that please. My Samsung goes black and I have a heart attack thinking somethings wrong, then a good 30 seconds later the picture comes back.
Potato Samsung parts.

82 inch Oled will break the bank. I would like at least 82 inches.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My brother's 3 year old OLED is so bright it's almost blinding. Some people can't get enough though.

hCI8Ryq.jpg
I currently have a 77" C9 in my media room and tried a C1 to compare and when the sun is up they simply arent bright enough for me but then again my entire East facing wall is glass and nothing to stop the sun as soon as it pops over the horizon

Guess what I am saying is X amount of nits might be great for some but its not a one size fits all scenario

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I currently have a 77" C9 in my media room and tried a C1 to compare and when the sun is up they simply arent bright enough for me but then again my entire East facing wall is glass and nothing to stop the sun as soon as it pops over the horizon

Guess what I am saying is X amount of nits might be great for some but its not a one size fits all scenario
That's called shitty room design, nothing else.

zeroluck

I don't know why OLED needs to get brighter, according to the internet most OLED owners live in a cave and are allergic to sunlight. All joking aside I doubt this 70% increase brightness applies to fullscreen brightness, it will probably still remain a measly 160 nits. Specular highlight isn't really a weakness of OLED, it is the low fullscreen brightness that lead to absence of HDR effects in high ABL scene.

Only the G3 and up will be 75% brighter than the B2, which has less brightness than the C2. Waiting to hear whether the C3 will be 25 -30% brighter than the C2 or not.

Edit: This just came in from Vincent of HDTVTest, and there doesn't seem to be any differences in brightness between the C2 and the C3.

reCq0pR.png

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
how many nits again for 70% brighter?

They are comparing brightness from B2 (and not the current brightest G2). B2 is about 600-700 nits. So the new TVs will be 1100-1200 nits MAX (notice how they say upto 70%, so maybe only in very certain scenarios and tests would it be this bright).

Current G2s reach a little over 1000 in certain scenes, so it would be a decent jump, but nothing huge.

Edit: Confusing information. LG claiming 1800 peak on G3. Now that is substantial. See Yerd Yerd 's post below.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

You are not supposed to consume media critically when the sun is shining on the tv.
Roll the blinds or watch at night.
No tv is brighter than a fucking sun lol.

You are indoor. Your eyes accommodated to lower brightness. So it’s fine for a tv. But sun shining from outside is way brighter.

Top Bottom