• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rtings.com updated list of Best Gaming TV's - Summer 2017

Gowans

2017 TVs have come down in price at this point in the year, and a lot of the newer models offer good refinement over TVs from previous years. 2017 TVs tend to have less input lag and motion blur, which are the most important aspects for a good experience. Our picks work well for consoles and PC gaming at 60 Hz. Check out our recommendations for PC gaming at 120 Hz as well as the best TVs for HDR gaming for use with the new Xbox One X (Project Scorpio). Here are our recommendations for the best TVs for gaming.

Best TV for Gaming
The difference between the price ranges isn't as wide when it comes to gaming TVs. You can find an excellent gaming TV for quite cheap, but paying more for the premium models usually brings you a more versatile TV with better picture quality.

The Winner: LG C7 - 55" 65"

The best TV we've reviewed for playing video games is the LG C7 4k OLED TV. Not only does it feature the best picture quality currently available, it also has some of the lowest input lag found on any TV available today as well as virtually no motion blur.
Thanks to its virtually instant response time, fast motion looks incredibly fluid and crisp. The overall package offers a very responsive and immersive experience unmatched by competing LED TVs like the Samsung Q9F and Sony Z9D.

It's versatile too: its wide viewing angle means it's equally good for playing games with friends sitting on either side without a big effect on picture quality. The LG C7 isn't the brightest TV available, but it still offers the best gaming experience available today.

The Runner Up: LG B6 - 55" 65"

If you can still find it, the LG B6 OLED TV from 2016 offers the same picture quality as the LG C7 with slightly higher input lag. If you're a more casual player, you probably won't notice the difference and it's worth saving your money and going for the previous model.

Best Mid-Range TV for Gaming
You don't lose much in this price range as far as gaming goes. Mid-range TVs are less versatile, though, so not as good as pricier models if you plan on watching movies or HDR.

The Winner: Sony X900E - 49" 55" 65" 75"

For a mid-range option, we recommend the Sony X900E. It's a versatile 4k LED TV that's especially good for playing video games, thanks to its low input lag and motion blur. Thanks to its good value compared to the competing Samsung MU8000 and LG SJ8500, it's a good choice if you want some of the best picture quality found on an LED TV .

It doesn't have blacks as deep as what an OLED TV can do, but it's still a great performer in a dark room thanks to its well-executed local dimming feature. It's brighter by a fair margin too, which is great if you planned to use it in a well-lit environment.

Overall, the X900E is sure to please most gamers, especially if it isn't the only thing it's going to be used for. It's the best alternative to OLEDs if they are out of your budget.

The Runner Up: X850 E - 65" 75"

For something larger, the Sony X850E offers a great gaming experience with low input lag for more value for its size than the Sony X900E. It doesn't have the fancy local dimming and it isn't quite as bright as the more expensive model, but it's a good choice if you want the largest TV you can fit in your budget.

Best Budget TV for Gaming
Budget TVs offer a lot of value nowadays, and their input lag is just as low as more expensive TVs. You do lose on the overall fit and finish as well as brightness, but they can still be a good purchase.

The Winner: TCL P607 - 55" 65"

If you don't mind having a cheaper looking design, the TCL P607 is the best budget gaming TV we've tested. This 4k LED TV offers some of the best value on the market today and punches far above its weight class. It also sports a slew of features unusual for its price.

The TCL P-Series' input lag is one of the lowest we've tested at 15ms, making it an excellent choice for fast-paced games that require split-second reactions. Its handling of motion is no slouch either and motion blur is some of the lowest found on LED TVs. It's not quite as versatile as the more expensive Sony X900E, but unless you want the extra features found on the Sony, the P607 is simply the best budget gaming TV money can buy.

All Reviews
Our recommendations above are what we think are currently the best TVs to play video games for most people in each price range. We factor in the price (a cheaper TV wins over a pricier one if the difference isn't worth it), feedback from our visitors and availability (no TVs that are difficult to find or almost out of stock everywhere).

A few examples of TVs that didn't make the cut:

LG SJ8500. Good TV, but there are better TVs for playing video games in the same price range.
Samsung KS8000. Great gaming TV, but hard to find nowadays.
Samsung Q9F. Very good for playing video games, but poorly priced in comparison to the more versatile LG C7.
Sony A1E. Excellent gaming TV, but the LG C7 offers even better performance for cheaper. See our review
Vizio M Series 2017. Good mid-range TV for gaming, but outclassed by the similarly priced P607.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

TriAceJP

I've never owned a TCL but a friend owned one years ago that was awful so I have always ignored that brand, but all the attention the one listed here has been getting has made me very curious.

Does anyone actually carry TCLs in store? I wouldn't mind seeing it in action.

Gowans

Lots of good TV's now.

Me and a couple of mates grabbed the KS8000 to be ready for the Xbox One X and are super happy with it, glad I got it before the shortage.

Skittles

$2300 for a 55" oled 4k tv with low ms. That sounds lovely. Looks like my panasonic p50s60 has a replacement

i-Lo

I'll be, in all likelihood, purchasing the XBR X900E (either a 55" or 65")be at the end of August. I'm hoping to read all potential comments pertaining to long term ownership of the TV from GAFfers who own one.

Happy I got the KS8000 55" for $700 during that deal. It'll hold me over until OLED's get 120hz 4k and Adaptive sync of some kind.

Paz

It has slightly higher input lag than the 7 series but my E6 is the best TV I've gamed on since the CRT days, instant pixel response makes such a huge difference in motion and the IQ is just insane.

I'm so glad flat panel TV's are finally getting around to being great gaming devices again.

superbeau

Neo Member
I've never owned a TCL but a friend owned one years ago that was awful so I have always ignored that brand, but all the attention the one listed here has been getting has made me very curious.

I see em in plenty of big box stores (Target, BB, etc)

The older ones did sound like true crap but the P series was them trying for something better and has been getting quite good reviews especially for ~$600. Has narrow viewing angles though

DieH@rd

Banned
What if you want a sub 40 inch or 40 inch TV? I guess you are suppose to kick rocks, I guess?

43X800D / 43XD8005 from Sony is the only good HDR model in that size range. While it is still offered for sales in some countries, it is being phased for quite while now. I wanted to get it since February, but sadly, this year model [which is much worse] has usurped it.

As for under 43", Samsung's 32" 1440p 144hz HDR Freesync2 PC monitor is the next best thing.

Got a 65" KS8000 for around $1200USD I believe because I heard it was the holy grail (outside of the super expensive LGs). Had no idea there was a shortage. Really happy with it and glad I picked it up.

madmackem

Got the 65' ks9000 aka ks9500 in USA for £1200, was going to push for the b6 or c but the price difference was too big as I wanted the 65'. Will grab an oled in a few years time.

TCL P607 is only carried by Amazon in the US I believe (OOS for a month or 2) bout the P605, which is $50 cheaper and has a basic remote is at best buy

julrik

No surprise there. The C7 looks like a good upgrade from last year's models.

I'm going to sell my E6 this fall and get the C7.

Paz

No surprise there. The C7 looks like a good upgrade from last year's models.

I'm going to sell my E6 this fall and get the C7.

Just remember you lose 3D capabilities in exchange for that ms lowering, so if you like 3D movies it's a big tradeoff.

Yep, B6 was a good decision. Then when I pay it off fully end of this month I can spend money again which is even better!

julrik

Just remember you lose 3D capabilities in exchange for that ms lowering, so if you like 3D movies it's a big tradeoff.
True. I don't own a single 3D Blu-Ray, though, so that's fine. I would much rather have improved uniformity & near-black, and being able to calibrate for gaming while keeping the low input lag.

pitchfork

Still holding out on a 4k set until the XB1 X arrives, but can't decide whether to go all in on an OLED or not

Wonder if there'll be any decent deals on Prime day?

Skeletron

Happy I got the KS8000 55" for $700 during that deal. It'll hold me over until OLED's get 120hz 4k and Adaptive sync of some kind.
Yeah, I just wish it would auto adjust the backlight for HDR content while in Game mode. Gotta go in manually everytime I play Horizon or Uncharted and set the backlight to 20. That shit is annoying.

I have a 65 inch X900e, super happy with it. The colors and contrast are great, images really pop. And it looks good for 1080p like the Switch up to 4k stiff like my PS4 and PC

I am so ridiculously happy I bought the B6. C7 sounds like a powerhouse.
So am I! This Rtings news makes me even happier. I bought mine back in March, got delivered in April. Got a free wireless sound bar with it too but I've not even unpacked it as I'm happy with the sound from the TV and don't want any more clutter or wiring near the set.

The picture quality for watching normal TV is great, too. I've yet to watch anything in 4K.

watership

Whenever I buy a new TV I do exhaustive research, and then buy what best fits my needs. Then I go SUPER DARK on any TV news/ratings/review sites. I don't want to know what's new, I don't want to have buyers regret 6 months later. It's the worst feeling with tech, and TVs always used to do this to me.

This time however I bought a B6 last year. Feelin' pretty good still :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Bestbuy has had the TCL for a couple of weeks now. For whatever reason they don't stock it in store though so they might not have demo units on the floor. All the orders I've seen people make are deliveries direct from BB warehouses.

The set has a lot of features normally reserved for mid tier tvs and above. Unless all the other companies are grossly overpricing their Tvs (ahem Qled Samsung) something has to give though at that price right?

Based on my own anecdotal experiences with three of these it seems that something is panel uniformity. All three panels I looked at had similar flash lighting in corners and also darker areas in the corners and uneven grey uniformity all over the place. This matched the rtings and cnet reviews and some posters in avs forum and some of the user reviews off amazon.

The picture is great during actual gaming or watching content. Its just the uniformity sticks out to me when I'm in static menus or UI that is supposed to be a uniform color. Parts of the screen end up looking darker and patchy in places. I'd expect DSE to be an issue on these too. Amazon reviews seem overly positive for the most part though so maybe I've just had bad luck or super anal.

PaulLFC

Really happy with my X800D I bought at the end of last year, paired it with a Denon X2300W for 5.1. In what seems to be typical Sony fashion it's great for upscaling HD and SD content, which the majority of stuff I watch on it is (since most is 720p from satellite). SD looks far better than on my old 1080p Bravia, and although it could be placebo, even HD sport seems to look better on this TV despite it needing to do more upscaling.

4K is very good, HDR is good for the price (although not nearly as good as LG OLED or very high end Sony TVs). Brightness in HDR is its main downfall, but it's good enough for me for now, and the way I see it, by the time HDR becomes the norm, I'll be ready to upgrade to another TV which will hopefully be both cheaper and better than what I could afford at present.

Arttemis

Cool stuff, but I can't imagine spending money on a TV now when variable refresh rates are coming this year and likely to be common feature next year.

BriGuy

Still holding out for an oled set with HDMI 2.1. I also hope they start coming in a 70" format. I don't know if I can sacrifice five inches for a prettier picture, and bigger than that might not fit my entertainment center.

Cabal

I'll be, in all likelihood, purchasing the XBR X900E (either a 55" or 65")be at the end of August. I'm hoping to read all potential comments pertaining to long term ownership of the TV from GAFfers who own one.

I have an X850E and couldn't be happier. In my personal side by side viewing between that and the X900E, there is a slight difference in brightness at the 65 inch level but not enough to justify paying an extra $500. They both looked better than the 2017 8000 series from Samsung. The 75 inch X850E is an IPS panel though, so the blacks look washed out. I would only buy the 65 if you are going the 850E route but I don't like IPS panels very much.

The feature set is outstanding, and the remote even works on your PS4 which is convenient. It has Bluetooth so it connects easily to your headphones for private listening which is awesome. Android tv can get a tad sluggish from time to time, but it's not enough to outweigh all the positive features on this one in my eyes. It has every app you can think of plus chromecast built in.

Honestly, I haven't been happier with a TV in a long time and it was right at my 1500 budget for a new bedroom/gaming TV.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
How is the Sony X900 guys? My girlfriend just said we can buy it if I want....

I currently have the Samsung ku6300 - is that worth the upgrade?

Proper HDR would be nice...

mieumieu

Every gamer around my block recommends X900E but I wasn't sure about its gaming performance. Guess I'm gonna buy the X900E then!

Syrus

Banned
Man 65 inch OLED cost way too much. Got my Ks8000 for 1800 and very happy.

Id love to jump to OLED in next 5 years though

Definently has to be hdmi 2.1. If you drop 3000 on a non 2.1 TV that kinda sucks

Top Bottom