• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rtings.com updated list of Best Gaming TV's - Summer 2017

ParityBit

I mean, if you don't have anything to produce 4k content wht even buy the tv?

With that said I don't have a 4k tv yet but I do have a pro and I like it quite a bit. The UI is snappier, vr looks sharper, some games look better. It's just an all around better experience.

Amazon and Netflix both stream 4K, along with YouTube and VUDU. There is plenty of 4K content I think.

If I were to get a Pro, how would I handle the trade in? I.e. How do I get everything off my current PS4 and dump it on the new one while sending the old one in for trade?

Amazon and Netflix both stream 4K, along with YouTube and VUDU. There is plenty of 4K content I think.

If I were to get a Pro, how would I handle the trade in? I.e. How do I get everything off my current PS4 and dump it on the new one while sending the old one in for trade?

That's true, when you said you had nothing for 4k content I took that too literally I suppose. I just made sure all of my saves were backed up to the cloud (ps+), than I reformatted my ps4 and traded it in to gamestop. I also backed up my saves via a usb drive but I couldnt figure out how to restore them from usb. Right now they don't have any good trade deals for the ps4. You could also try to sell it on Craigslist

i don't about trade deals for the data transfer from OG PS4 to PS4 Pro is a very easy process.....i got everything on my Pro for OG PS4 via the transfer setup in under an way....and everything stays the same (folder placement, facebook/youtube login, etc)

Anybody have any opinions on Philips 49PUS6401?
It's quite cheap compared to most and seems to have a lot of nice features and pretty good reviews.

https://www.whathifi.com/philips/49pus6401/review

Probably because it's next to impossible to find in the U.S, and still somewhat difficult to find in europe which means finding in depth reviews like Rtings, HDTVTest.co.uk or TFTCENTRAL provide is also frustratingly difficult.

It really has been dissapointing how hard it is to find Phillips products outside basically sonicare in the U.S

I think the Ambilight feature is really cool.

Over-Run

Yeah from reviews on YouTube it sounds quite promising. Not the best HDR or anything but at least it has it with ambilight and Android TV and 4k.

ParityBit

That's true, when you said you had nothing for 4k content I took that too literally I suppose. I just made sure all of my saves were backed up to the cloud (ps+), than I reformatted my ps4 and traded it in to gamestop. I also backed up my saves via a usb drive but I couldnt figure out how to restore them from usb. Right now they don't have any good trade deals for the ps4. You could also try to sell it on Craigslist

Amazon says they will give me like $120 for it. Is that good or bad? I do not have to do this immediately (I do not get the TV until tomorrow!) and my game playing time is limited at the moment.

Amazon says they will give me like $120 for it. Is that good or bad? I do not have to do this immediately (I do not get the TV until tomorrow!) and my game playing time is limited at the moment.

I don't know for sure, that's about what gamestop will give you for it but I don't know what the "market value" for one is anymore.

Island

Hey NeoGAF,

Been looking at getting a 4k for some time now and had my eye on the 55 X900e. Almost pulled the trigger as is was $1600 CDN. Oh a whim I checked another store and found a 60 in KS8000 for $1299 (open box, display model though).

Nice picture on both TV's. Just wondering what some of you would do with that choice. (main usage is gaming /Netflix in a well lit room.)

ParityBit

So I have the TV setup. It is really nice. What Streaming 4K stuff is good to check out? I want to see some nice visuals! I have it setup for wireless and I think my signal is strong enough for streaming, is there is a good way to check if I should go wired or not? (My PS is hooked up to the wall plate currently)

So I have the TV setup. It is really nice. What Streaming 4K stuff is good to check out? I want to see some nice visuals! I have it setup for wireless and I think my signal is strong enough for streaming, is there is a good way to check if I should go wired or not? (My PS is hooked up to the wall plate currently)

YouTube 4K 60FPS HDR and enjoy

Yjynx

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

Looks like Rtings just updated this page today.

One difference that I see is that they changed their mid-range recommendation from the Sony X900e to the Sony x930e.

Budget choice is still the TCL P607.

Down below in the list of sets that didn't quite make the cut, they now have this to say about the Sony x900e:

Here is my question about this though: On the TCL P607, game mode turns off the FALD (local dimming). It has better input lag, but my understanding of the x900e is that game mode keeps the FALD on. Doesn't FALD improve the quality of the HDR?

I don't have a 4k TV yet, but one of the reasons I was leaning toward the x900e, even with the higher price, is because in theory it should have a better HDR picture in game mode. It also seems like the Sony set has really fantastic motion handling, amazing 1080p upscaling, and better grey uniformity.

But maybe I am just being seduced by these fancy specs. Has anyone actually seen the TCL P607 in person and been able to compare it to something higher end like the Sony x900e?
I actually saw HZD on my friend TCL it looks weird? Perhaps because I use to saw it on sony ZD9 but can someone elaborate this. Can't explain it really well it lack the wow factor? Vibrant? can someone explain this?

I moved to Japan a while ago and need to get a tv later this year. It's really hard to make an informed decision when Sharp and Toshiba are still pretty big here, but their models are nonexistent outside Japan. Toshiba seems to be the only one mentioning their display lag or response time but their figures are bogus anyway (some sets 10ms, others 0.83ms... wot?). Don't suppose anyone has used any recent Sharp or Toshiba sets?

Also there seems to be a newer Panasonic, DX850 that I can't find english reviews for. How are Panasonic sets these days? At the moment I'm using an old 32" Pana that belongs to my inlaws, so very likely a cheaper model, but i havent really had any issues using it.

ParityBit

YouTube 4K 60FPS HDR and enjoy

Okay, that looks amazing. How was this TV only 600 bucks?

Any way to test basic panel uniformity to see if anything is bad (ie I need to exchange it)

Edit: Also how come non of the shows in Netflix say HDR (and my set does not display HDR) but with YouTube they do (and are)

RedAssedApe

Banned

Any way to test basic panel uniformity to see if anything is bad (ie I need to exchange it)

Edit: Also how come non of the shows in Netflix say HDR (and my set does not display HDR) but with YouTube they do (and are)

Check out the 4K highlight section in the Roku menu.

Re Netflix, did you pay for the 4K plan?

I kind of don't want to recommend checking for uniformity if you aren't already eyeballing issues or notice things through normal viewing and gaming haha without asking what to look for. But if you really want to, look at the picture quality section of rtings website.

Norse

A few years ago I bought a media center that fits a 60" TV perfectly.

Now I'm ready to upgrade to a 4k display, but no one makes 60" models anymore. What gives?

This is the only one I can find for this year: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZFKIOY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Reviews aren't great but seem OK.

Not sure if I should go ahead and upgrade or just wait and replace my furniture later. Annoying.

Vizio m and p series from 2016 have 60" models. Pretty good reviewed too

ParityBit

Check out the 4K highlight section in the Roku menu.

Re Netflix, did you pay for the 4K plan?

I kind of don't want to recommend checking for uniformity if you aren't already eyeballing issues or notice things through normal viewing and gaming haha without asking what to look for. But if you really want to, look at the picture quality section of rtings website.

Yeah screw it. The picture I get for only $600 is a steal. I watched the youtube video of the opening for Horizon. Is that even close to what it actually looks when playing it? (I own the game, have yet to play)

Schlomo

So you just hooked your PS4 up, changed the TV setting, and it worked no problem? Could you tell me which port you're using?

I have my console connected to my Pioneer AV receiver, and that's connected to the HDMI port with ARC (HDMI2 I think?).

But I also had it connected directly to HDMI1 before, and it worked the same.

x900e 55 inch ordered. Should be here Tuesday.

I will post impressions after I test it out a bit with some PS4 Pro games, 4k HDR youtube vids and DirectTV.

Hey NeoGAF,

Been looking at getting a 4k for some time now and had my eye on the 55 X900e. Almost pulled the trigger as is was $1600 CDN. Oh a whim I checked another store and found a 60 in KS8000 for $1299 (open box, display model though).

Nice picture on both TV's. Just wondering what some of you would do with that choice. (main usage is gaming /Netflix in a well lit room.)
Where was the 55 x900e $1600 cad?

Yeah the TV is amazing for 600$ and I'm not sure about any of the Netflix shows having HDR that I'm aware of. The marvel shows have Dolby vision. I'm more impressed how well it handles non 4K content. The switch looks amazing on this set. As for uniformity issues, you can see some with greys, but mine doesn't seem as bad the Rtings review indicates.

just got my X900E today!! this thing is amazing!!! was thinking about getting the X930E but 49 inches was my sweet spot; well that and the enclosed TV stand that I have wouldn't be big enough...

it kinda suck as amazon had this TV about $100 off for roughly two weeks and the minute I had enough to buy it the sale was over!!!

tsumineko

I moved to Japan a while ago and need to get a tv later this year. It's really hard to make an informed decision when Sharp and Toshiba are still pretty big here, but their models are nonexistent outside Japan. Toshiba seems to be the only one mentioning their display lag or response time but their figures are bogus anyway (some sets 10ms, others 0.83ms... wot?). Don't suppose anyone has used any recent Sharp or Toshiba sets?

Also there seems to be a newer Panasonic, DX850 that I can't find english reviews for. How are Panasonic sets these days? At the moment I'm using an old 32" Pana that belongs to my inlaws, so very likely a cheaper model, but i havent really had any issues using it.

I live in Japan and had exactly the same problem. Samsung sets are unavailable in Japan, and finding reviews on Japanese TV models wasn't happening.

I just bought a 60inch LG SJ8500 and I love it. It was the most affordable 4K TV at its size by far, and after reading that it handles gaming well I jumped on it.

TheBoss1

just got my X900E today!! this thing is amazing!!! was thinking about getting the X930E but 49 inches was my sweet spot; well that and the enclosed TV stand that I have wouldn't be big enough...

it kinda suck as amazon had this TV about $100 off for roughly two weeks and the minute I had enough to buy it the sale was over!!!

Same thing for me, except I decided to hold off and wait for the next sale. I hope it drops to $999 at least this time. Sony sets hardly ever have deep discounts so I should keep my expectations low.

I also got my x900e yesterday. 55" version.

This TV is awesome. I am upgrading from a 50" Samsung Plasma from about 2010. It was a great tv that served me well, but the jump to a 4k HDR display feels like a big upgrade to me.

I tested a number of games on my PS4 pro on it and they all look awesome, even games that are native 1080 with no PRO mode. This TV upscales really well and handles motion really well too. No noticeable bluring or trails at all. Bloodborne almost looks like a whole new game to me on this set, and it doesn't even have a PRO mode. Uncharted 4 in 4k HDR is truly stunning. Titanfall 2 looks amazing as well. As does Destiny 2.

I am running in game mode, and I have not noticed any Input Lag, or at least it feels exactly the same to me as my old Plasma. I paid extra attention to Bloodborne and Titanfall 2, as I tested them the other day to be ready for the new TV, and they feel good.

I also tested Pacific Rim on regular 1080p BluRay, and that also looks incredible. I don't know if that is the PS4 Pro's upscaling or the TV but it looks damn near native 4k to me.

This is my first 4k TV, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but one of the reasons I went with the Sony is its reported excellent upscaling and motion handling, and it lives up to my high expectations.

Overall, loving this TV so far.

FlamingHelmet

Neo Member
Yeah, I have expanded my selections now to include the Sony A1E as well. So now it is between the A1E, ZD9, LGC7 or even the E7 since I do like the front glass thing, but could care less about the sound bar since I have a 7.2 Audio System. We are waiting for house to be built with an ETA of the end of August and that is when I need to reach a decision. I heard about the slower pixel response of the 65" ZD9 so I looked into the 75" but the price difference is pretty massive and with a new house and all the stuff (cost) involved with getting all the things you need I am not sure if I could convince the wife to go for it...the other sets she is fine with the price points.

This might help when comparing 2017 OLED to ZD9 ...

https://youtu.be/ps-JIttlB8c

flozuki

Yeah, I have expanded my selections now to include the Sony A1E as well. So now it is between the A1E, ZD9, LGC7 or even the E7 since I do like the front glass thing, but could care less about the sound bar since I have a 7.2 Audio System. We are waiting for house to be built with an ETA of the end of August and that is when I need to reach a decision. I heard about the slower pixel response of the 65" ZD9 so I looked into the 75" but the price difference is pretty massive and with a new house and all the stuff (cost) involved with getting all the things you need I am not sure if I could convince the wife to go for it...the other sets she is fine with the price points.

I can't recommend the Sony TVs. If you really are ready to spent a decent amount of cash for a TV you also want to have a nice OS that is fun to use. ATV is still miles behind every other TV OS unfortunately and once again a massive deal breaker for me (I would have liked the Philips OLED and they are also using ATV again and while it has become better it still is not really satisfying :-/). Despite that I still have to see a ZD9 without the usual stuff that distracts in everyday use. I can vouch vor the 2016 (or in your case 2017 LG OLEDs --> awesome TVs), the Panasonic OLED is unfortunately a little bit too expensive but also extremely awesome.

When you have already tried all TVs and are fine with all of them just take the one with the best price at the time you are going to buy it. Easiest decision :-D

Top Bottom