• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rtings.com updated list of Best Gaming TV's - Summer 2017

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Do you have any image persistence issues with using it as a monitor? (e.g. start button / taskbar in general)

Nope, so far so good. I did switch it to auto hide the taskbar and I'm using a dark theme with black desktop. There are a couple of desktop icons and I haven't spotted anything from them yet.

The image shifting does cut off a few pixels on an edge at times - not a big deal. OLED monitors should actually include a few extra pixels for that purpose.

The auto shutoff options aren't working for me, so I'm going to try setting a black screen saver as a stopgap. (feels weird to need one again... wonder if Mystify is still around for old times' sake)

Edit: yup, Mystify's still around and actually looks pretty good. Looks like something's keeping the PC awake though since the screen saver won't activate on its own. Time for some troubleshooting.
Edit 2: powercfg /requests was fine. This tool shows something is sending input events constantly since the time-since-last-input never gets over a second. Might be my mouse since I only had my keyboard and mouse connected. I thought it might have been the Vive, but that wasn't it. It's weird though, if there really was some input happening, that should have brought it out of manually activated sleep/screensaver too, but they're fine.
Edit 3: it was actually the SupremeFX DAC that came with my motherboard, found by disabling the HID devices under device manager one by one and then checking the IDs for the one that made the difference. I wasn't using it anyway, so I just took it out. All good now.

i-Lo

While reading further into the Sony's X900E, much to my surprise, it turns out that the 65" version has around 20 local dimming zones as opposed to around 35 in 55" version. Would this not aid in finer image quality making the smaller screen actually be the better choice?

TheBoss1

While reading further into the Sony's X900E, much to my surprise, it turns out that the 65" version has around 20 local dimming zones as opposed to around 35 in 55" version. Would this not aid in finer image quality making the smaller screen actually be the better choice?
Where did you read this? This makes no sense. If it's true I'd love to know the zone count in the other sizes, especially the 49".

Sony loves to do this. The bigger the set (unless it's a higher end one) the less zones it'll have. It's because of cost. 20 dimmable zones is pretty useless for 55 inches and you'll get a lot of clouding and haloing because of that. Vizio at least has 64 in that size range. The Z9 has hundreds but costs a ton.

Hawk269

Sorry, Dommel is right, same stand, but the E7 has a soundbar and the E7 is the "picture on glass" bezel design, I think.

Concerning the Z9D vs the LG OLEDs, I don't really consider the Z9D to be competitive. It's the best LCD ever made, and it definitely offers a brighter HDR image, but the blacks on the OLEDs are much better and more consistent. Also, the Z9D, at least the 65", has slow pixel transitions that cause noticeable trailing in 60Hz gaming.

Have you looked at the Sony A1E? It's got the Sony processing plus an LG OLED panel. I went with the LG B7 myself for various reasons ($1700 price difference!), but the A1E is probably the best TV on the market. It's amazing.

Yeah, I have expanded my selections now to include the Sony A1E as well. So now it is between the A1E, ZD9, LGC7 or even the E7 since I do like the front glass thing, but could care less about the sound bar since I have a 7.2 Audio System. We are waiting for house to be built with an ETA of the end of August and that is when I need to reach a decision. I heard about the slower pixel response of the 65" ZD9 so I looked into the 75" but the price difference is pretty massive and with a new house and all the stuff (cost) involved with getting all the things you need I am not sure if I could convince the wife to go for it...the other sets she is fine with the price points.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/hdr-gaming

Looks like Rtings just updated this page today.

One difference that I see is that they changed their mid-range recommendation from the Sony X900e to the Sony x930e.

Budget choice is still the TCL P607.

Down below in the list of sets that didn't quite make the cut, they now have this to say about the Sony x900e:

"Sony X900E. Excellent TV overall, but the TCL P series offers an equal HDR gaming experience for much cheaper See our review"

Here is my question about this though: On the TCL P607, game mode turns off the FALD (local dimming). It has better input lag, but my understanding of the x900e is that game mode keeps the FALD on. Doesn't FALD improve the quality of the HDR?

I don't have a 4k TV yet, but one of the reasons I was leaning toward the x900e, even with the higher price, is because in theory it should have a better HDR picture in game mode. It also seems like the Sony set has really fantastic motion handling, amazing 1080p upscaling, and better grey uniformity.

But maybe I am just being seduced by these fancy specs. Has anyone actually seen the TCL P607 in person and been able to compare it to something higher end like the Sony x900e?

Servbot24

Banned
I've got Samsung KS8000 55". No complaints other than remote broke really fast. Also if the screen is black other than a white logo or something, that section of the TV will be more illuminated than other black areas. Not sure if that's normal since this is the first TV I've ever owned.

Just bought the recomended tcl, didn't think I would be buying a 4k tv so soon but I couldn't resist that price on Amazon. Ready to check out horizon.

I've got Samsung KS8000 55". No complaints other than remote broke really fast. Also if the screen is black other than a white logo or something, that section of the TV will be more illuminated than other black areas. Not sure if that's normal since this is the first TV I've ever owned.

That's what happens with edge-lit LED + local dimming.

TheBoss1

Looking for a cheap auxiliary TV:

How is TCL S series compared to the P? Gaming and also general use. Will watch some but not much 4K content. 50" S series is so cheap.

Dosia

The price floor has dropped every year, it's only logical to assume 2017 will see even deeper discounts. Buydig (an authorize seller) already ran a sale on the C7 for $1899, and it included a $400 sound bar for free.

A 65" C7 could have been had for $1800 last week through fry's and using credit card pp. I am jumping in during black friday.

FlamingHelmet

Neo Member
Yeah, I have expanded my selections now to include the Sony A1E as well. So now it is between the A1E, ZD9, LGC7 or even the E7 since I do like the front glass thing, but could care less about the sound bar since I have a 7.2 Audio System. We are waiting for house to be built with an ETA of the end of August and that is when I need to reach a decision. I heard about the slower pixel response of the 65" ZD9 so I looked into the 75" but the price difference is pretty massive and with a new house and all the stuff (cost) involved with getting all the things you need I am not sure if I could convince the wife to go for it...the other sets she is fine with the price points.

I have the ZD9 and am absolutely thrilled with it. I haven't noticed any trailing on any gaming content. I was deciding between the ZD9 and Samsung OLED and preferred the motion and shadow detail of the Sony and was blown away by the Sony's brightness combined with near perfect blacks. Unless you are looking at a ZD9 and OLED side by side I don't think you will be able to notice any difference in the depth of the blacks, the ZD9 blacks are black as far as I can see. The only area that I have noticed the ZD9 is weak is on off angle viewing which is an area OLED clearly wins. The brightness of the ZD9 makes HDR games look so lifelike I have never seen anything comparable including OLEDs. Good luck with your decision.

I have the ZD9 and am absolutely thrilled with it. I haven't noticed any trailing on any gaming content. I was deciding between the ZD9 and Samsung OLED and preferred the motion and shadow detail of the Sony and was blown away by the Sony's brightness combined with near perfect blacks. Unless you are looking at a ZD9 and OLED side by side I don't think you will be able to notice any difference in the depth of the blacks, the ZD9 blacks are black as far as I can see. The only area that I have noticed the ZD9 is weak is on off angle viewing which is an area OLED clearly wins. The brightness of the ZD9 makes HDR games look so lifelike I have never seen anything comparable including OLEDs. Good luck with your decision.

Samsung oled?

You must've been looking at the Samsung QLED. In which case the Sony ZD9 wins yes. Because QLED is not oled. The ZD9 is the best LCD, sure, but oleds are still better in everything apart from brightness. And the 2017 oleds are plenty bright.

i-Lo

How reliable is the information on that site? I don't see many posts using that site as a reference. I really want to know how many zones the 49" have but the site doesn't say how many, even for the 75".

Well, I have read another of the 65" version and even on AVS forum, the count is around 20. The only info I have for 55" version are from that site and AVS forum.

FlamingHelmet

Neo Member
Samsung oled?

You must've been looking at the Samsung QLED. In which case the Sony ZD9 wins yes. Because QLED is not oled. The ZD9 is the best LCD, sure, but oleds are still better in everything apart from brightness. And the 2017 oleds are plenty bright.

Yes I mean OLED, I am well aware that QLED is not OLED.

The more I'm looking into TVs, the more I think I'm going to try to find a KS8000. Really seems to be the TV to beat in that price range (if you can still find them). Damn shame the 2017 Samsung's in the price range appear to just not be as good as the KS8000.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Their mid-range is a $2000 tv? That's a $700 jump from the 900 to 930 o_o

The Sony 930e is no goddamn midrange TV.

The 65inch version in Canada is a $4500 tv.. Wtf rtings!?

Opposed to the Sony 65X900e - that I just purchased for $2600.

shockdude

Actually, a good gaming monitor these days is closer to 5 ms.

Still, in my opinion anything below 30 ms is at least usable.
While true, 5ms input lag is only achievable at 100Hz or higher. Consoles are 60Hz; the lowest average input lag achievable is 8.33ms due to scanout regardless of display. Add a typical monitor's 1-2ms of processing delay and you get ~10ms input lag.

I agree that 30ms is usable, but 10ms is just really nice, especially for shmups.

lantus

I don't think you can really disagree with their assessment. The only problem is there are more price brackets than the three (high, mid, and budget) they have on their site.

pepperzz

Just got the LG C7, was super excited, but I can't seem to get my PS4 Pro to work with HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour mode. Does this just not work? The screen just flickers a bunch like it's trying to connect but then it gives up after about 5 seconds.

Any advice? Thanks.

c0de

Are there any translation tables for the European market, especially Germany? I hate it when companies use different descriptions for the same hardware for different markets.

Macaco84

Just got the LG C7, was super excited, but I can't seem to get my PS4 Pro to work with HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour mode. Does this just not work? The screen just flickers a bunch like it's trying to connect but then it gives up after about 5 seconds.

Any advice? Thanks.

I had exactly the same problem with my 65e6. I tried everything from switching cables to changing every setting under the sun but it didnt resolve it. Actually, one thing did resolve it but it was not a compromise i was prepard to live with - changing the hdcp settings on the ps4. Switching to the old version stopped the handshaking issues but then i couldnt access hdr.

Unfortunately the set had to go back to the shop.

I have been hearing the 2017 models are sufferring from the same. Its amazing there is still a problem here. I am sure ther are many lg oleds out there connected to ps4s and i cant believe there hasnt been a fix.

Schlomo

I have been hearing the 2017 models are sufferring from the same. Its amazing there is still a problem here. I am sure ther are many lg oleds out there connected to ps4s and i cant believe there hasnt been a fix.

Unfortunate as this is, it's certainly not a universal problem. It works fine for me.

ParityBit

Only for 4K games and streaming. It doesn't have a 4K Blu-ray drive.

Well I guess the game part would be nice. Since it is a Roku TV I have that for the streaming. I was debating trading in my PS4 to Amazon and grabbing a Pro. Just sorta undecided about it.

LiK

Well I guess the game part would be nice. Since it is a Roku TV I have that for the streaming. I was debating trading in my PS4 to Amazon and grabbing a Pro. Just sorta undecided about it.

If you're not in a rush, I would wait for a deal or sale for a bundle. I'm hoping for a good deal on Black Friday.

Are there any translation tables for the European market, especially Germany? I hate it when companies use different descriptions for the same hardware for different markets.

You can contact them via mail.
I did it for LG and they confirmed that B6v is EU version of B6p.

ParityBit

Anyone with a TCL P have any advice with set-up calibration? Or is it good out of the box? I am trying to prep for Saturday.

Any advice? Thanks.

Try using HDMI 3 or 4. I had some HDCP handshake issues with my PS4 and PC using HDMI 1 & 2 on my LG B6, similar to how you're describing your problem.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Anyone with a TCL P have any advice with set-up calibration? Or is it good out of the box? I am trying to prep for Saturday.

Rtings has some settings up but I personally just set it to warm (or hdr dark when using hdr), turned off noise reduction on all inputs and called it a day.

I just bought the recommended TCL (get it Saturday). Is it worth trading my original PS4 for a pro?

I think the value differs person to person on a number of factors (budget, distance from screen, etc), but I've found it to be a great upgrade. Rise of the Tomb Raider was the best example of the upgrade for me because you can easily switch between 1080p and 4K rendering in the menu and the 4K mode removes almost all of the aliasing in the game.

A lot of current games now also have Pro support. Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 both look great, Horizon is stunning in 4K+HDR, MLB 17 looks excellent in HDR and has 3 choices for rendering resolution/framerate, etc etc.

It may also be worth picking up an XBOX One S if you don't have one already. I've watched a few 4K HDR Blu Rays and they look great. Ghostbusters 2016 uses the HDR effect really well with its CGI and Logan's aesthetic really shines in HDR.

Norse

Here is my question about this though: On the TCL P607, game mode turns off the FALD (local dimming). It has better input lag, but my understanding of the x900e is that game mode keeps the FALD on. Doesn't FALD improve the quality of the HDR?

The tcl p607/605 doesn't need to be put into game mode as the input lag is pretty much the same in or out of game mode. Less than 20ms

Klocker

The tcl p607/605 doesn't need to be put into game mode as the input lag is pretty much the same in or out of game mode. Less than 20ms

CNET review said input lag was 35 out of game mode and rtings has 1080p/60 at 51.6

Also anyone know is there a way to set "TV brightness" for each input? It only changes it globally, when watching HDR content rtngs recommended to "brighter" but then you need to switch it back for other content every time.

Really hope the game mode HDR implementation is as good as they claim. Might pick up an XBS just to check out HDR in games before I decide to keep, for the xbx

RedAssedApe

Banned
CNET review said input lag was 35 out of game mode and rtings has 1080p/60 at 105

1080p @ 60Hz : 15.2 ms
1080p @ 60Hz : 51.6 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 15.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 15.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 15.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 15.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR : 15.0 ms

so when they say 1080p does that mean older games that render at native 1080p that have to upscale or when you specifically tell the ps4 to output at 1080p?

Klocker

1080p @ 60Hz : 15.2 ms
1080p @ 60Hz : 51.6 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 15.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz : 15.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 : 15.3 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR : 15.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR : 15.0 ms

so when they say 1080p does that mean older games that render at native 1080p that have to upscale or when you specifically tell the ps4 to output at 1080p?

Yes thx for correction, yes 51.6 is out of game mode but not sure what that 1080p measurement is..

But CNET said game mode off was 35 but not sure if that was an HDR game or not. That's all I care about for game rendering at this point. So I am leaving game mode On, but sure hope the HDR looks good still

th3dude

A few years ago I bought a media center that fits a 60" TV perfectly.

Now I'm ready to upgrade to a 4k display, but no one makes 60" models anymore. What gives?

This is the only one I can find for this year: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZFKIOY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Reviews aren't great but seem OK.

Not sure if I should go ahead and upgrade or just wait and replace my furniture later. Annoying.

TCL seems a bit blurry. Thought maybe they nudged the cam but it's the same on 1080p and shows a clear grid pattern on the TCL 1080p.

b3zc.jpg

a3zc.jpg

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/p607/p607-upscaling-4k-large.jpg
http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x900e/x900e-upscaling-4k-large.jpg

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

Is it worth me getting a PS Pro for my TCL 55P605? I do not have any 4K sources or anything. I have a normal PS4

I mean, if you don't have anything to produce 4k content wht even buy the tv?

With that said I don't have a 4k tv yet but I do have a pro and I like it quite a bit. The UI is snappier, vr looks sharper, some games look better. It's just an all around better experience.

Top Bottom