• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rtings.com updated list of Best Gaming TV's - Summer 2017

Still love my KS8000, but I hope improvements towards HDR Gaming keeps steaming on. I hope by the time PS5 comes around HDMI 2.1, <20ms HDR input lag, and OLED all become standardized so I can replace it.

I guess, but still! Isn't OLED supposed to be the be-all and end-all?

Depends on your needs. Personally I think there's more to a TV than just deep blacks. There are factors like motion handling, upscale quality, color reproduction, shadow detail, and HDR brightness that the LG OLEDs tend to come up short on compared to LCDs. On OLED image retention is also still a possibility, though it's much less than it used to be and in most cases isn't permanent.

It's also pretty apparent in reviews that OLED isn't a magnitude better than LCD. They usually beat them out in overall scores, but we are talking about maybe a 0.5 difference in score tops. Alot of the time even less than that. Using Rtings alone you see stuff like the B6 getting an 8.5 and the Sony X900E getting an 8.2. Then you look at the price difference of $700+ dollars to get the OLED and you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

That being said, if OLED is something you want, I'd try and go find a 2016 model with 3D because that offers more value than the incremental improvements of the 2017 models with no 3D.

duhmetree

I'm having screen issues with my KS8000... I'm wondering if Costco will take it back and if it's worth upgrading to a b7/c7

Cabal

I'm having screen issues with my KS8000... I'm wondering if Costco will take it back and if it's worth upgrading to a b7/c7

Costco will take a tv back for any reason within 90 days. After that your chances are not real good, but you might talk to a manager

aravuus

Depends on your needs. Personally I think there's more to a TV than just deep blacks. There are factors like motion handling, upscale quality, color reproduction, shadow detail, and HDR brightness that the LG OLEDs tend to come up short on compared to LCDs. On OLED image retention is also still a possibility, though it's much less than it used to be and in most cases isn't permanent.

It's also pretty apparent in reviews that OLED isn't a magnitude better than LCD. They usually beat them out in overall scores, but we are talking about maybe a 0.5 difference in score tops. Alot of the time even less than that. Using Rtings alone you see stuff like the B6 getting an 8.5 and the Sony X900E getting an 8.2. Then you look at the price difference of $700+ dollars to get the OLED and you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

That being said, if OLED is something you want, I'd try and go find a 2016 model with 3D because that offers more value than the incremental improvements of the 2017 models with no 3D.

Hmm, I see. I've been under the impression the OLED TVs are pretty much the best in, well, not necessarily every way, but almost. I haven't actually spent any time reading on these things, so it's no surprised I'm apparently a bit off.

Gonna spend a couple of months saving up money and then I'll do some real research into this stuff. Pretty sure I could get a solid LCD 4k TV with actual HDR support at a half the price of a B6.

duhmetree

Costco will take a tv back for any reason within 90 days. After that your chances are not real good, but you might talk to a manager

2 year warranty from Costco. Not returning it per-se... exchanging it.

It's not even a year old and having screen issues already. Since the KS8000 is hard to find and probably no longer in stock, I'd go for the next best option. LG seems to have pulled way ahead of Samsung in 2017 in regards to what I'm looking for.

KS7000 is about 700€ cheaper compared to LG b6 in my country.

I have a Vita 1000 and difference between Lcd version was noticeable for me. Now, I have to make the difference worth it before jumping the gun...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
It's such a shame that an excellent display with a native 120Hz panel like the C7 is held back by insufficient connection support to actually drive that refresh rate at native resolution.

Yeah, it's nice that it has the option of 1080p120 at least. I picked up the 55" C7 to use as a huge monitor and I'm happy with it, but things would have been a lot better if they could have included DisplayPort. Maybe there are some other internals that would need to be ugpraded to handle 4k120, but even being able to run at 10 or 12 bpc RGB at 60Hz would have been nice (no more switching between display modes for clear desktop text vs HDR). That bit of convenience is one more thing to look forward to with those 200Hz ultrawides coming up.

OLED owner here

Pay the difference. It is so, so worth it. There will never be another non-OLED panel in my house. The quality is unmatched.

It's to the point where I'm starting to favor multiplatform games on my PS4 over my very capable gaming PC just because my monitor cannot match my OLED in picture quality.

Waiting for a 4K GSync OLED monitor and prepared to pay an arm and a leg for it.

pottuvoi

Banned
They buy from the USA and the price of the B7 and C7 are the same. B7 is for warehouse stores and C7 for retail stores.

Basically, the C7 is the one available at most shops. B7 availability is limited. You can take their C7 review and apply it to the B7 since they are nearly identical.
Thanks.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's such a shame that an excellent display with a native 120Hz panel like the C7 is held back by insufficient connection support to actually drive that refresh rate at native resolution.

Cable port is maybe not the only bottleneck. Maybe the scaler chip also cannot manage highresolution+highrefresh modes.

The best TV we've reviewed for playing video games is the LG C7 4k OLED TV. Not only does it feature the best picture quality currently available, it also has some of the lowest input lag found on any TV available today as well as virtually no motion blur.

1080p @ 60Hz Show Help
: 21.3 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help
: 88.0 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help
: 46.4 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help
4k @ 60Hz Show Help
: 21.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help
: 21.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + 8 bit HDR Show Help
: N/A

Get the fuck outta here. God modern TVs suck for gaming.

Stiler

Hmm, I see. I've been under the impression the OLED TVs are pretty much the best in, well, not necessarily every way, but almost. I haven't actually spent any time reading on these things, so it's no surprised I'm apparently a bit off.

Gonna spend a couple of months saving up money and then I'll do some real research into this stuff. Pretty sure I could get a solid LCD 4k TV with actual HDR support at a half the price of a B6.

OLED's are the best at picture quality, which is arguably one of the most important things for a tv.

The technology is simply superior to lcd's when it comes to picture, because of the ability for them to have true blacks and also not having issues that lcd's have such as flashlighting, blooming, and clouding because of the way the panels work vs led's.

That isn't to say they don't have their own issues, the main one being image retention that can happen.

The main advantages of lcd's are 1. Cheaper, 2. Higher nits/brighter (but on the flip side lcd's can not get as good blacks as an oled).

Best thing to do is find a store with oled's, watch it and compare it in person to lcd's. Figur eout what you're main use is for and what your budget is and go from there.

robertoci

As I can't post my own thread (still a junior and all that) I thought maybe one of you guys could help me out.

I'm looking for a good 32" TV for playing the PS4 on, I have the Samsung T32E390S at the moment but have had no end of problems with it despite getting a replacement one a couple of weeks ago, can't really go any bigger as my room doesn't really allow for it haha.

I just exchanged the Vizio M-series for the TCL to pick up on Thursday. That thing is flying off the shelves at the Best Buys near me. They did everything in their power to sell me a lower quality Samsung instead.

kurahadol

the X900E vs Vizio P-series, what's my best bet?

I can get last years P-series for cheaper than a 900E or this year's P-series for around the same price as an X900E (based on prices right now in Canada)

TheBoss1

As I can't post my own thread (still a junior and all that) I thought maybe one of you guys could help me out.

I'm looking for a good 32" TV for playing the PS4 on, I have the Samsung T32E390S at the moment but have had no end of problems with it despite getting a replacement one a couple of weeks ago, can't really go any bigger as my room doesn't really allow for it haha.

You should ask about that over in this thread: Television Displays and Technology Thread.

My take: There are no good TVs in that size. Make room for a bigger set (43-49" minimum) and then I can recommend some sets.

TheBoss1

I can get last years P-series for cheaper than a 900E or this year's P-series for around the same price as an X900E (based on prices right now in Canada)

If you can afford the X900E, get that instead.

Decado

Where are you looking at the x900e? Also Canadian.

TheBoss1

Even at 43 only good TV is the X800D from last year. The 800E is worse compared to D version. 49 is the lowest size for good TV now imo. 49X900E is the best moderate budget tv.
Yeah that's the only reason I mentioned 43". I'm well aware of X800E being an IPS panel so I never recommend those.

BigEmil

Yes. Fuck digital displays until the input lag is comparable. HD CRT or bust.
Big input lag is why I just play my PS4 on my BenQ computer monitor, I have a second PS4 in my room connected to the TV also for whenever I play local coop but I mainly game on my monitor.

RedAssedApe

Banned
the irony is that some people saying these input lag numbers are too high have probably been playing on tvs with equal or worse input lag for years ;)

Durante

wat. 21ms is less than one 60Hz frame of input lag over a CRT (CRTs have 8.33ms average input lag at minimum). That's phenomenal.
A good PC monitor is about ~10ms, or ~2ms laggier than a CRT.
Actually, a good gaming monitor these days is closer to 5 ms.

Still, in my opinion anything below 30 ms is at least usable.

Yeah, it's nice that it has the option of 1080p120 at least. I picked up the 55" C7 to use as a huge monitor and I'm happy with it, but things would have been a lot better if they could have included DisplayPort. Maybe there are some other internals that would need to be ugpraded to handle 4k120, but even being able to run at 10 or 12 bpc RGB at 60Hz would have been nice (no more switching between display modes for clear desktop text vs HDR). That bit of convenience is one more thing to look forward to with those 200Hz ultrawides coming up.
Do you have any image persistence issues with using it as a monitor? (e.g. start button / taskbar in general)

Guy sounds like an asshole, definitely not using these settings, will check out AV Forums for professional settings.

He deliberately uses the motion interpolation (soap opera effect) for games too, who the fuck does that. Play the content like the developers intended ie 30 frames for Horizon.
Sounds like a complete idiot. Frame interpolation creates a shitload of input lag, why in the hell would anyone want to use that for games?

Get the fuck outta here. God modern TVs suck for gaming.

Yes. Fuck digital displays until the input lag is comparable. HD CRT or bust.

4bUV7Ls.gif

Top Bottom