• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rtings.com updated list of Best Gaming TV's - Summer 2017

RedAssedApe

Banned
Seems like a decent amount of people have the x900e. Do you guys think the loss of Dolby vision on that set is going to be a big deal moving forward? Iirc Sony stated that set won't be getting it...

TheShocker

I've got a 2010 Panasonic G20 that has been flat out amazing. I've been eyeballing the TCL for an interim set while I wait for OLED to drop in price. I'm wanting to upgrade to 4K before the 1X drops in November.

JB1981

Yes the 850E is a 10 bit panel with WCG and HDR. The difference between it and the 900E is local dimming and I think the backlight may be full array on the 900E. Again, I could tell a little difference side by side but not 500 dollars worth. They only make 850E tvs in 65 and 75 inch. The 65 looks great.

Thanks man

I'm hesitating a little on the TCL 55P605/607 now cause I'm now strongly considering the C7, but regardless of how much better the picture quality and other things are, I don't think I really want to spend so much on a new TV. Yea, I'll probably stick with the TCL. I'll feel better about it in the long run.

dEvAnGeL

Interesting. I have noticed a slight lip sync issue from time to time on some content but it seems to vary and is only there if I look for it. Are you finding this on all content you watch?
not on all content, this happens randomly, twice on live tv and once on netflix, still, sound is something you can resolve with an external device, the IQ of this tv on the other hand, it is incredible, the blacks on this thing i dare say are very, very close to OLED blacks.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Seems like a decent amount of people have the x900e. Do you guys think the loss of Dolby vision on that set is going to be a big deal moving forward? Iirc Sony stated that set won't be getting it...
HDR10 is going to be the more popular version so no.

Macaco84

not on all content, this happens randomly, twice on live tv and once on netflix, still, sound is something you can resolve with an external device, the IQ of this tv on the other hand, it is incredible, the blacks on this thing i dare say are very, very close to OLED blacks.

I wonder then if it is the content rather than the tv? I have noticed lip sync issues before on other tv's with some content. So debating whether it is the fault of the tv? Is it resolved when you listen through headphones?

I am so ridiculously happy I bought the B6. C7 sounds like a powerhouse.

Same. It was a serious dent in my wallet but wow it's an incredible tv. If anyone is still uncertain what to get just get the B6 and especially if you can find a good deal. Best TV I've owned since the Kuro days.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
For fast competitive games or games that require precision, yes ...

Unable to do Crash Bandicoot 1 on the X900E, the controls do not respond fast enough which gives a feeling of heaviness and makes the controls imprecise ...

Really? I mean I would understand 60ms, but 32ms is still pretty quick. My current Samsung is 19ms, and I can't see 32ms being that huge of a disadvantage that is keeps you from being able to play certain games.

You must be uber sensitive.

dEvAnGeL

I wonder then if it is the content rather than the tv? I have noticed lip sync issues before on other tv's with some content. So debating whether it is the fault of the tv? Is it resolved when you listen through headphones?
it is definetly the tv's fault, like i said on my first post i have never experienced this problem on any previous televisions, if you do a simple search you can tell this has happen to a huge portion of owners of the x900e

Mrbob

For 4k UHD disc based content no...HDR10 is required. Streaming content is a little different i believe. For example Netflix has some shows encoded in Dolby Vision. I think Daredevil is only Dolby Vision and not HDR10. I don't believe HDR10 is required for streaming but if someone else could find some evidence otherwise I'd be glad to see it. Though DV on Netflix seems bad currently:

http://www.highdefforum.com/ultra-high-definition-tvs/148191-dolby-vision-netflix-broken-scam.html

Pachinko

Whenever I buy a new TV I do exhaustive research, and then buy what best fits my needs. Then I go SUPER DARK on any TV news/ratings/review sites. I don't want to know what's new, I don't want to have buyers regret 6 months later. It's the worst feeling with tech, and TVs always used to do this to me.

This time however I bought a B6 last year. Feelin' pretty good still :)

I'm still rocking only the third TV I've ever purchased right now (Panasonic st5055") and anytime I go a little while without watching someone on it I get stunned at how well the picture quality holds up.

Looking at the new sets available these days has left me in a bit of a bind because I like my 3D movies and for now atleast the focus has shifted to 4k HDR. I suspect we'll have HFR 3D 4K as the next big thing before 8K starts popping up (4 avatar sequels are coming soon) so I think I can wait a while longer so long as my TV continues to hold strong. Going to hit its 5th birthday this fall.

So hopefully you'll continue to enjoy that B6 for years to come too ! All any of us can do is hopefully find the best TVs for our needs at the best price at any given time and that all fluctuates many times a year so it's not a bad call to ignore it unless you're in the market for a new one.

Macaco84

it is definetly the tv's fault, like i said on my first post i have never experienced this problem on any previous televisions, if you do a simple search you can tell this has happen to a huge portion of owners of the x900e

Wonder whether Sony is aware then. Sounds a like an update would fix it. In any case, its not a deal breaker as I barely notice it. When you notice it, is it very slight or quite a big delay? I can count maybe one or two shows i watched (on sky) that had a noticeable delay. And in both cases the sound came before the visual.

Is HDMI 2.1 worth holding out another year?

Yes, I believe it is. My opinion is that unless your TV is dying or dead, there's very little reason to jump in now and you should wait. We're still in a transition phase.

Better than on old 1080p TVs.

I bet you my 9 year old 1080p TV still looks better than most of the TVs that get recommended around here except for maybe the OLEDs. =)

Not from what ive seen. You're looking at least ps6 generation before consoles push past 4k/60fps (which is the limit of current hdmi). By that time way better tvs will be available

Then you haven't really seen or know much about HDMI 2.1 if you think the only thing to be gained is something beyond the 4K/60fps. Variable refresh rate, HDR dynamic metadata and lossless audio over HDMI ARC are things I bet will be usable in the next generation of consoles.

Kudo

I bet you my 9 year old 1080p TV still looks better than most of the TVs that get recommended around here except for maybe the OLEDs. =)

People still swore by the plasma but cheap KU6300 easily rivals it, didn't really expect it to look that good but was pleasantly surprised when I replaced our small Panasonic.
Next time is OLED though, no holding back this time.

People still swore by the plasma but cheap KU6300 easily rivals it, didn't really expect it to look that good but was pleasantly surprised when I replaced our small Panasonic.
Next time is OLED though, no holding back this time.

Nah, I have a KU6300 in my office and I think that's a pretty mediocre TV. My 9th Gen Pioneer Kuro Elite shits all over it.

Kudo

Nah, I have a KU6300 in my office and I think that's a pretty mediocre TV. My 9th Gen Pioneer Kuro Elite shits all over it.

I don't think it's fair to rate TVs by office usage versus home, you don't rate TVs while looking at them on store either, they all look horrible.

I don't know how Kuro Elite compares to ST50 but I'd assume it's better as you're so confident it shits all over the place. I've had them sit next to each and while plasma had definite edge with viewing angles KU6300 looked sharp and bright next to it definitely giving it a good run for it's money. Also no shimmering or burn-in on the Samsung, our plasma was starting to get really bad with that (reason why it was replaced in first place).
Glad to hear you're sill happy rocking the Kuro, they never sold those here so haven't seen them in person ever.

RS4-

I'm happy with my X800D, couldn't justify the price for the KS8000 at the time, or the LGs, especially since I was probably gonna end up getting another telly within a year or actually move back down to a 4k ultrawide with HDR and g or freesync depending on what I do with my 1070.

Yes, I believe it is. My opinion is that unless your TV is dying or dead, there's very little reason to jump in now and you should wait. We're still in a transition phase.

Then you haven't really seen or know much about HDMI 2.1 if you think the only thing to be gained is something beyond the 4K/60fps. Variable refresh rate, HDR dynamic metadata and lossless audio over HDMI ARC are things I bet will be usable in the next generation of consoles.
Yeah my 2013 Panasonic 65VT60 is still way better than all of these TVs except for the LG OLEDs. I’m really starting to notice it’s input lag even in game mode when going from playing Super Mario World on my PVM to playing on the Panny through my Framemeister though and it saddens me. So I’m hoping to get an OLED with super low lag sometime in the near future, along with no burn-in problems, to pair with my incoming OSSC.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's cool to see these TVs getting great reviews and providing great experiences. I won't be buying a TV until HDR tech has fully matured and 4K HDR is relatively cheap, but it looks like that is coming soon.

Colbert

Banned
So happy I bought a B6 2 months ago. I do not like curved TVs and I also like the stand more on the 2016 models.

RowdyReverb

I'll be, in all likelihood, purchasing the XBR X900E (either a 55" or 65")be at the end of August. I'm hoping to read all potential comments pertaining to long term ownership of the TV from GAFfers who own one.
I got the 55" one month ago and I've been enjoying it so far. Haven't done any 4K or HDR gaming on it yet though, unfortunately

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
So, I just bought the Sony XBR900E.... Christ I hope it's worth it.

I did own the Samsung ku6300, but the HDR and lack of wide colour gamut was a bummer.

Reallink

I'm hesitating a little on the TCL 55P605/607 now cause I'm now strongly considering the C7, but regardless of how much better the picture quality and other things are, I don't think I really want to spend so much on a new TV. Yea, I'll probably stick with the TCL. I'll feel better about it in the long run.

The 55" C7/B7 will almost certainly hit $1499 this Fall/Holiday at a major retailer (BB, Costco, Amzn), particularly surrounding BF. Just something to consider.

Sony is already doing that and the A1 series which easily stand up their with LG's offerings, not too mention whatever follow ups the Z9 series should be absolutely beastly. Their pricing still hurts but that's basically a given for their TVs at this point.

What Sony is offering is better but at a mega price premium. Their A1 is almost 1500 more than the LG where I live and only motion handling is better. Also their OS is sloppy and that hasn't been addressed. Right now LG has a better more stable OS. The Z9 is amazing as hell but at it's absurd price point it damn well should be and the fact that it can hit crazy hit nits makes it the most HDR friendly set. I believe the Z9 also has high input latency numbers but don't quote me on that so that's a ding for gaming.

As far as I'm concerned the LG B6 is the best deal for the money while the 7 series is nice the price difference isn't worth it.

Samsung are so lazy that they don't even glue on the light guides well so they can get dislodged during shipping causing overall brightness to be effected heavily. Also that whole "QLED" nonsense means nothing and hasn't shown any leaps in real world usage. The KS8000 is a good deal for the money but isn't effected by the usual Samsung lottery.

Honestly if you can wait til HDMI 2.1 that's probably the best.

Mrbob

I would put some caveats regarding the need for HDMI 2.1. For one Dolby Vision already supports dynamic metadata and that is on HDMI 2.0.

Plus there isn't a guarantee yet HDR10+ will require HDMI 2.1. Samsung claims their 2017 TVs support HDR10+ and they will firmware update the 2016 tvs:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1492684962

These sets aren't on HDMI 2.1. Still using HDMI 2.0. I guess what it is coming down too is I wouldn't just guarantee HDR10+ is going to be the future standard or that HDMI 2.1 is required for hdr dynamic metadata. Don't forget about the HLG format too which is going to be for broadcast television.

VRR has question marks too. First off, if you are a console gamer it's probably going to be a useless feature. VRR is designed to stay above 30 fps so you aren't getting any benefit if a game dips below. Most console games try to be 30 fps locked. If you are a pc gamer this gets more interesting but at the same time most pc gamers buy nvidia gpus. So you need to wait for a tv that supports VRR and pay more money to have a gsync chip inserted into it. Many TVs can do 1080P120 today and have the nvidia gpu scale to 4k. Since 1080P is easily achievable resolution with modern cards this is a viable option. 4k120 is years off, even on pc where hardware accelerates every year.

If you want to wait for HDMI 2.1, that's cool. Just it really isn't that clear cut right now if waiting actually will matter. Depends on what you want to use the TV for. .

Jigolo

This guys on YouTube Quantum Apotheosis is really making me want a X900e. Seems like the 800D from last year was a fluke and this (X900E) is the model to go with this year.

His videos make the TV look really good:

Sony X900E Setting and STARWARS!

Sony X900E MIND-BLOWING Movie settings (Transformers looks crazy!)

The GOAT Superhero film Dark Knight.

Rachet

Horizon - Does not use game mode interesting...
Just saw the video for mind blowing movie settings. lol

34ccKW7.png

Guy sounds very enthusiastic that's for sure. Don't own the TV so maybe he's doing something right but I wouldn't trust his settings. He even specifically tested for orange faces.....

I recommend you research for settings on AVSforum or rtings for your respective TVs settings. Try to mimic the settings from a person with the same panel size. Look out for those people that have equiment

For fast competitive games or games that require precision, yes ...

Unable to do Crash Bandicoot 1 on the X900E, the controls do not respond fast enough which gives a feeling of heaviness and makes the controls imprecise ...
Just as a counter I finished CB1 this week on a 900e, no real problems at all.

Metfanant

I would put some caveats regarding the need for HDMI 2.1. For one Dolby Vision already supports dynamic metadata and that is on HDMI 2.0.

Plus there isn't a guarantee yet HDR10+ will require HDMI 2.1. Samsung claims their 2017 TVs support HDR10+ and they will firmware update the 2016 tvs:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1492684962

These sets aren't on HDMI 2.1. Still using HDMI 2.0. I guess what it is coming down too is I wouldn't just guarantee HDR10+ is going to be the future standard or that HDMI 2.1 is required for hdr dynamic metadata. Don't forget about the HLG format too which is going to be for broadcast television.

VRR has question marks too. First off, if you are a console gamer it's probably going to be a useless feature. VRR is designed to stay above 30 fps so you aren't getting any benefit if a game dips below. Most console games try to be 30 fps locked. If you are a pc gamer this gets more interesting but at the same time most pc gamers buy nvidia gpus. So you need to wait for a tv that supports VRR and pay more money to have a gsync chip inserted into it. Many TVs can do 1080P120 today and have the nvidia gpu scale to 4k. Since 1080P is easily achievable resolution with modern cards this is a viable option. 4k120 is years off, even on pc where hardware accelerates every year.

If you want to wait for HDMI 2.1, that's cool. Just it really isn't that clear cut right now if waiting actually will matter. Depends on what you want to use the TV for. .

All true...however...

My reasoning for waiting it out is not for a particular feature, or whether or not and of the various forms of HDR CAN be done on HDMI 2.0 or not...

It's simply the VAST increase in bandwidth that the new hardware will allow...

This SHOULD finally get us into a situation where we don't need to make sacrifices in terms of the picture quality quaternity...resolution/framerate/color depth/chroma...

As of now you need to make sacrifices in one of those areas and that is entirely a limit of the bandwidth available to us...

Now of course, who knows when any kind of content will be available that is 4k/60hz/12bit HDR/4:4:4, your guess is as good as mine...

BUT...the fact that the new spec will handle it will help me sleep at night lol

The 55" C7/B7 will almost certainly hit $1499 this Fall/Holiday at a major retailer (BB, Costco, Amzn), particularly surrounding BF. Just something to consider.

The 2016 models never hit that price officially. You had to buy from third party online retailers, many of which that aren't authorized dealers. Maybe $1799 at best for a 55inch.

Dommel

Very happy with my LG E7 55" coming from a Sony W905.

GF started playing Rise of The Tombraider (PC) this weekend so I got a chance to watch her play in 4k and it looks absolutely amazing.

A pity that getting HDR working with Windows 10 is currently a cluster fuck but I'm hopeful that will get fixed soon-ish.

Just saw the video for mind blowing movie settings. lol

34ccKW7.png

Guy sounds very enthusiastic that's for sure. Don't own the TV so maybe he's doing something right but I wouldn't trust his settings. He even specifically tested for orange faces.....

I recommend you research for settings on AVSforum or rtings for your respective TVs settings. Try to mimic the settings from a person with the same panel size. Look out for those people that have equiment
Don't use this guys settings, they're terrible.

Vashetti

Banned
This guys on YouTube Quantum Apotheosis is really making me want a X900e. Seems like the 800D from last year was a fluke and this (X900E) is the model to go with this year.

His videos make the TV look really good:

Sony X900E Setting and STARWARS!

Sony X900E MIND-BLOWING Movie settings (Transformers looks crazy!)

The GOAT Superhero film Dark Knight.

Rachet

Horizon - Does not use game mode interesting...

You serious?

Those settings are insane, brightness and contrast blown out the wazoo, blacks crushed...

Just looks awful.

Mrbob

All true...however...

My reasoning for waiting it out is not for a particular feature, or whether or not and of the various forms of HDR CAN be done on HDMI 2.0 or not...

It's simply the VAST increase in bandwidth that the new hardware will allow...

This SHOULD finally get us into a situation where we don't need to make sacrifices in terms of the picture quality quaternity...resolution/framerate/color depth/chroma...

As of now you need to make sacrifices in one of those areas and that is entirely a limit of the bandwidth available to us...

Now of course, who knows when any kind of content will be available that is 4k/60hz/12bit HDR/4:4:4, your guess is as good as mine...

BUT...the fact that the new spec will handle it will help me sleep at night lol

Yeah I mean it doesn't hurt to have HDMI 2.1 but I feel like it's going to be years after the first HDMI 2.1 TV's hit for it to be fully exploited. Once the dust settles then I'll upgrade to a new TV with HDMI 2.1. Or HDMI 2.2 or whatever comes next because there will always be some new technology coming.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I don't see a 65 inch Vizio P series ever going that cheap unless it falls off the back of a truck first.

Underlying tech or equivalent implementation does. Vizio itself has reduced the number of backlight dimming zones for one of their series.

Tech always gets cheaper for the relatively equivalent functionality.

Top Bottom