• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rtings.com updated list of Best Gaming TV's - Summer 2017

Trace

Banned
This guys on YouTube Quantum Apotheosis is really making me want a X900e. Seems like the 800D from last year was a fluke and this (X900E) is the model to go with this year.

His videos make the TV look really good:

My eyes hurt just looking at those videos jesus christ. Those are not good settings.

Hawk269

Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the 65" LG E7 vs the 65" LG C7? I was originally going to go with the 65" Sony ZD9, but am expanding my search (I typically always go Sony for TV's).

ApharmdX

Banned
Can anyone enlighten me on the differences between the 65" LG E7 vs the 65" LG C7? I was originally going to go with the 65" Sony ZD9, but am expanding my search (I typically always go Sony for TV's).

Stand and sound bar. The picture is identical on both.

Hawk269

Stand and sound bar. The picture is identical on both.

I am on Best Buy's site and the stand for each look identical or am I missing something? There seems to be about a $1000 difference in price as well...surely there is something more between them?

Ushay

Just saw the video for mind blowing movie settings. lol

34ccKW7.png

Guy sounds very enthusiastic that's for sure. Don't own the TV so maybe he's doing something right but I wouldn't trust his settings. He even specifically tested for orange faces.....

I recommend you research for settings on AVSforum or rtings for your respective TVs settings. Try to mimic the settings from a person with the same panel size. Look out for those people that have equiment

Guy sounds like an asshole, definitely not using these settings, will check out AV Forums for professional settings.

He deliberately uses the motion interpolation (soap opera effect) for games too, who the fuck does that. Play the content like the developers intended ie 30 frames for Horizon.

Cabal

Underlying tech or equivalent implementation does. Vizio itself has reduced the number of backlight dimming zones for one of their series.

Tech always gets cheaper for the relatively equivalent functionality.

Sure but it's not like technology stays stagnant. A new HDMI is around the corner, 12 bit panels I'm sure are in the works at some point, it keeps going. The P series will always be on the higher end of that scale. Will an E series in 2018 be equivalent to a 2016 P series? Maybe. But a P series ever being cheaper MSRP than a bargain bin 65 inch? Not likely.

Is there any info at all when the 65inch model of the TCL will launch? The more I read about that set the more blown away I am with it for that price but I can't find any info on a date the 65 will release

TheBoss1

Lol @ quantom apotheosis. Dude is an OLED hater and uses the worst TV settings. I wish I could block his videos from coming up in my TV searches on YouTube.

Dommel

I am on Best Buy's site and the stand for each look identical or am I missing something? There seems to be about a $1000 difference in price as well...surely there is something more between them?

No,I chose the E7 over the C7 and the only difference is the sound bar.

It's clearly visible under the screen for the E7.

Yeah, I just wish it would auto adjust the backlight for HDR content while in Game mode. Gotta go in manually everytime I play Horizon or Uncharted and set the backlight to 20. That shit is annoying.

That's really odd... I don't know what would cause that.

Yeah, same here. It's hard to hold off on an OLED in the meantime though.

Yea I know, but I want HDMI 2.1 before I make a jump to OLED.

Melter

loving my B6. found it on sale end of last year for $1300.

Went through three KS8000s before that which all had dead pixels. My B6 is perfect, not a single dead pixel or blemish on the screen *knock on wood*

Hawk269

No,I chose the E7 over the C7 and the only difference is the sound bar.

It's clearly visible under the screen for the E7.

Yeah, I looked closer and noticed the sound bar. But the other difference I found is that the E7 has the Glass front that the C7 does not...so with the sound bar and glass front is the main reason for the price difference.

So now I am going between the C7 and the ZD9.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
loving my B6. found it on sale end of last year for $1300.

Went through three KS8000s before that which all had dead pixels. My B6 is perfect, not a single dead pixel or blemish on the screen *knock on wood*
It's so expensive and hard to find good deals for it. Happy with my KS9000 though.

What Rtings considers acceptable input lag is too high for my preferences. Those Sonys seem nice but as soon as I saw the input lag I was like nope.

Lol @ quantom apotheosis. Dude is an OLED hater and uses the worst TV settings. I wish I could block his videos from coming up in my TV searches on YouTube.

Absolutely agree. When I tried searching for some x900e videos 70% of the results are his trash videos.

Dynomutt

Just saw the video for mind blowing movie settings. lol

34ccKW7.png

Guy sounds very enthusiastic that's for sure. Don't own the TV so maybe he's doing something right but I wouldn't trust his settings. He even specifically tested for orange faces.....

I recommend you research for settings on AVSforum or rtings for your respective TVs settings. Try to mimic the settings from a person with the same panel size. Look out for those people that have equiment

That response. I did not read the comments. I agree he was a bit enthusiasstic as well.

You serious?

Those settings are insane, brightness and contrast blown out the wazoo, blacks crushed...

Just looks awful.

My eyes hurt just looking at those videos jesus christ. Those are not good settings.

Yeah my bad.

lantus

Generally speaking, I think ~30ms input lag is perfectly fine for most people. The X830c I got a couple years back when I first got a 4K set had around 37 ms it seems and I couldn't notice any sort of delay.

I'm very happy with my C7 but I ashamed to say most of the time I just watch twitch streams on it. 99% of my gaming time is spent on my monitor, especially now that I addicted to pubg. My PC is connect to the TV and goddamn the Witcher 3 looks incredible 4K60. I'd like to use it as an excuse to play again but realistically my gaming time is going to be spent playing pubg at with a mix of low and high settings on my monitor.

Reallink

The 2016 models never hit that price officially. You had to buy from third party online retailers, many of which that aren't authorized dealers. Maybe $1799 at best for a 55inch.

The price floor has dropped every year, it's only logical to assume 2017 will see even deeper discounts. Buydig (an authorize seller) already ran a sale on the C7 for $1899, and it included a $400 sound bar for free.

ApharmdX

Banned

Sorry, Dommel is right, same stand, but the E7 has a soundbar and the E7 is the "picture on glass" bezel design, I think.

Concerning the Z9D vs the LG OLEDs, I don't really consider the Z9D to be competitive. It's the best LCD ever made, and it definitely offers a brighter HDR image, but the blacks on the OLEDs are much better and more consistent. Also, the Z9D, at least the 65", has slow pixel transitions that cause noticeable trailing in 60Hz gaming.

Have you looked at the Sony A1E? It's got the Sony processing plus an LG OLED panel. I went with the LG B7 myself for various reasons ($1700 price difference!), but the A1E is probably the best TV on the market. It's amazing.

LegendX48

What Rtings considers acceptable input lag is too high for my preferences. Those Sonys seem nice but as soon as I saw the input lag I was like nope.

I didn't have mine for long but it seemed fine enough to me. the 31.5/32ms response time is considered good on displaylag as well.

X900E seems like a great option, but someone please tell me the local dimming isn't the shit that turns everything darker when the screen is dark. The one in my current tv makes it impossible to properly calibrate shit.

If anyone owns the KS8000/9000, may I ask how's blooming in those TV's? I read somewhere that local dimming is quite terrible and you can't turn it off.

Klocker

So I have an 18 Mo old 60" 1080p and am getting an XBX.

Do I have to have HDR by November or will the extra power and supersampling and texture Rez be enough until next year?

Mrbob

Is there any info at all when the 65inch model of the TCL will launch? The more I read about that set the more blown away I am with it for that price but I can't find any info on a date the 65 will release
Only thing known is late 2017 for the 65 inch model.

canocha

X900E seems like a great option, but someone please tell me the local dimming isn't the shit that turns everything darker when the screen is dark. The one in my current tv makes it impossible to properly calibrate shit.

I have mine set to Low and it doesn't bother me. Medium and High are a little bit agressive.

The only thing i had to change when watching movies was the color of the subtitles!
White subtitles on a dark scene... Beam of light lv99!

I didn't have mine for long but it seemed fine enough to me. the 31.5/32ms response time is considered good on displaylag as well.
It's not terrible. I have an LCD Sony in the bedroom with comparable input lag and it's fine most of the time, but for some games it's too noticeable for me.

Smokey

I am buying a 65" Sony ZD9 at the end of August myself. It is one of the best sets for HDR and while the input lag is a little higher than the LG they recommend, the OLED Black level and it's better performance with HDR is worth the slight sacrifice in input lag. Only this is that the ZD9 series is pricey.

This is the only LCD I'd consider instead of OLED. Actually I'd consider the TCL just because the price is so insane, but that would be a stop gap purchase until OLED hits with HDMI 2.1

Thorrgal

All of these 4k hdr tvs. My Poor ass just want a big 1080p tv with as low input lag as possible ;_;

2015 55' LG OLED then. I own the 2014 and it's fantastic. I think u can still get it for around 1k.

I'll jump to a 65' OLED next year, when prices will be down due to a new LG factory producing big panels

pottuvoi

Banned
I wonder why they selected C7 over B7, as far as I know the difference is just the better speaker and color of bezel.
Currently price difference is ~1000€.

finalflame

Gold Member
Glad I got rid of my KS8000 and got a B6. Also glad i didn't pay 3x as much for a C7. B6 is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Type of dude who throws reshaders on all his games to make them look more vibrant.

Glad I got rid of my KS8000 and got a B6. Also glad i didn't pay 3x as much for a C7. B6 is the gift that just keeps on giving.
B6 is like 2x the price of a KS8000 though from the looks of it, right?

Edit: Never mind, that was with the $1079.99 EPP deal on the KS8000. Also, the C7 looks like it's only $500 more than the B6?

Daffy Duck

For fast competitive games or games that require precision, yes ...

Unable to do Crash Bandicoot 1 on the X900E, the controls do not respond fast enough which gives a feeling of heaviness and makes the controls imprecise ...

Really? I mean I would understand 60ms, but 32ms is still pretty quick. My current Samsung is 19ms, and I can't see 32ms being that huge of a disadvantage that is keeps you from being able to play certain games.

You must be uber sensitive.

See, it's things like this that really put me off a new TV.

I play CoD online and other FPS games online a lot on my 2012 Samsung TV with circa 18ms input lag I believe, nearly doubling that worries me somewhat.

finalflame

Gold Member
B6 is like 2x the price of a KS8000 though from the looks of it, right?

Edit: Never mind, that was with the $1079.99 EPP deal on the KS8000. Also, the C7 looks like it's only $500 more than the B6?

Whoa -- the price on the C7 came down a lot, I think. Around launch the 55" was selling for $3500 if I recall? Either way, it's nice to see LG OLEDs topping these charts :D

TheBoss1

Concerning the Z9D vs the LG OLEDs, I don't really consider the Z9D to be competitive. It's the best LCD ever made, and it definitely offers a brighter HDR image, but the blacks on the OLEDs are much better and more consistent. Also, the Z9D, at least the 65", has slow pixel transitions that cause noticeable trailing in 60Hz gaming.

Have you looked at the Sony A1E? It's got the Sony processing plus an LG OLED panel. I went with the LG B7 myself for various reasons ($1700 price difference!), but the A1E is probably the best TV on the market. It's amazing.
You really believe the blacks on the OLED are much better compared to the Z9D? Much is a very strong word to use when talking about the best local dimming set ever made.
2015 55' LG OLED then. I own the 2014 and it's fantastic. I think u can still get it for around 1k.

I'll jump to a 65' OLED next year, when prices will be down due to a new LG factory producing big panels

He said low input lag, which the 2015 OLED sets don't have. Input lag of 50+ ms is not even close to low.

Mrbob

I wonder why they selected C7 over B7, as far as I know the difference is just the better speaker and color of bezel.
Currently price difference is ~1000€.
They buy from the USA and the price of the B7 and C7 are the same. B7 is for warehouse stores and C7 for retail stores.

Basically, the C7 is the one available at most shops. B7 availability is limited. You can take their C7 review and apply it to the B7 since they are nearly identical.

Durante

It's such a shame that an excellent display with a native 120Hz panel like the C7 is held back by insufficient connection support to actually drive that refresh rate at native resolution.

This is the only LCD I'd consider instead of OLED. Actually I'd consider the TCL just because the price is so insane, but that would be a stop gap purchase until OLED hits with HDMI 2.1

This is exactly what I'm doing. Buying the TCL so I can start experiencing 4k and HDR then on 2 or 3 years buy an OLED when the prices come down

It's such a shame that an excellent display with a native 120Hz panel like the C7 is held back by insufficient connection support to actually drive that refresh rate at native resolution.

What kind of system do you have to run games at 4k and 120fps?

Necrovex

Excellent timing. I'll be looking to upgrade my 32" Vizio 1080i TV in the very near future, once I settle in my new home. KS8000 or X900E is what I'll most likely buy.

TheBoss1

Excellent timing. I'll be looking to upgrade my 32" Vizio 1080i TV in the very near future, once I settle in my new home. KS8000 or X900E is what I'll most likely buy.

Good luck finding a KS when that time comes. The X900E on the other hand will probably still be available if you're going to buy this or early next year.

Top Bottom