• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded Announced (BugBear, PC/PS3/360) - Drive, Destroy, Dominate

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Bugbear is one of the best racing developers in the world, so this is probably the first Ridge Racer I'll be ever be interested in. All of the other games have had the personality and resonance of a corporate PowerPoint presentation.

They've been working on this for quite awhile at this point, so I'd expect this to be a pretty content-heavy game.

Tellaerin

cuyahoga said:
Bugbear is one of the best racing developers in the world, so this is probably the first Ridge Racer I'll be ever be interested in. All of the other games have had the personality and resonance of a corporate PowerPoint presentation.

They've been working on this for quite awhile at this point, so I'd expect this to be a pretty content-heavy game.

Just out of curiosity, which Ridge Racer games have you played? (The last thing I'd accuse the series of is lack of personality, so I'm wondering how you ended up with that impression.)

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Tellaerin said:
Just out of curiosity, which Ridge Racer games have you played? (The last thing I'd accuse the series of is lack of personality, so I'm wondering how you ended up with that impression.)
R4, 64, DS and 6.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ridge racer has distinctive stylistic elements that you're already aware of having played r4 and rr6 -- they might be catalogued as exaggerated drifting, electronic music, track layouts built around coherent locations (esp. city locations), fictional supercars, and references to classic namco games. you're free to dislike all of that, but the whole 'corporate powerpoint' angle of attack is pretty silly when unbounded ACTUALLY MIGHT BE the product of a corporate powerpoint presentation on what sells in racing games these days

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just popped RR PSP back in for the first time in five years. I remember my mind being blown.

This seems weird.

omg this is fun as fuck

whitehawk

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I just popped RR PSP back in for the first time in five years. I remember my mind being blown.

This seems weird.

omg this is fun as fuck
Man I was so blown away by RR for the PSP when it came out.. Which is now 6 years ago fuck me. It was actually the trailers for RR that made me buy a PSP.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Y2Kev said:

This seems weird.

omg this is fun as fuck
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU I'm popping in RR's :p

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well I tried Ridge Racer V again since I just rebought it this last week. Got damn. I don't remember it being this good.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Y2Kev said:

This seems weird.

omg this is fun as fuck

The first Ridge Racer on the PSP was pure gold. The only game I played more on the PSP was Lumines.

Tellaerin said:
I wouldn't really call 64 or RR DS representative of the series. Surprised you'd find R4 and Ridge Racer 6 devoid of personality, though, particularly R4.

Yeah I uh..really have no idea what to say about that.

R4 is pretty damn unique in terms of presentation.

industrian said:
The first Ridge Racer on the PSP was pure gold. The only game I played more on the PSP was Lumines.
Yeah it made being a launch owner worth it for me. It was truly a Holy Shit! moment.

Vorg

Banned
_dementia said:
Second was was gold too.

Probably the best Ridge Racer game so far IMO. Like a collection of all the best stuff in the entire RR series. It's an amazing game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
In all seriousness guys, this is very very disappointing news. But to be brutally honest with you, I am extremely happy and grateful that I:

A)Have moved on to so many brilliant and enjoyable racing games, that my yearning for a new Ridge isn't as strong as it once was. I'm playing Shift and F1 2010 a lot lately and can honestly say those games are providing me with just as much fun end enjoyment as any Ridge Racer in the past.

B)Have access to all the pre-psp RR games on my PC, and can finally play them all with a force feedback wheel and pedals.

C)Have access to so many arcade classic racers that have stood the test of time. Witness how much fun I still have playing Daytona USA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfO_EPKIBcU

So in light of all the above. My reaction is simply "meh...whatever". If it's good it's good. If it's not, oh well, fuck it. I still have the old RR games to keep playing, and a plethora of wonderful new ones coming out.

acidspunk said:
Probably the best Ridge Racer game so far IMO. Like a collection of all the best stuff in the entire RR series. It's an amazing game.

RR2 PSP has been parked in my psp for oh, I dunno, 6 months straight? LOL. It's without a doubt the best portable game ever made period. That is, until Resident Evil Mercenaries comes out for the 3DS :D

KingJ2002

im going to take this game like R: Racing Evolution... an offshoot to test the market.

in 2003 Racing sims were all the rage so namco wanted to test the waters and it failed.

...so back to the old formula with RR6

fast forward to 2011... RR7 didn't take off... Burnout / Midnight Club style racing has taken over... and Namco... once again wants to test the waters.

I honestly dont think we will see a ridge racer 8 until next gen at this point.

Elixist

industrian said:

Mee too! Still pop in both, I really enjoy Hot Shots on the pisp as well.

Elixist

isamu said:
isamu youtube wheel video
Lmfao dude, that vid is cool. Sweet setup man. "I dont fuck with them other wheels, feels like you got em from Toys R Us" haha so true. Jealous for sure that looks fun.

On topic I wont knock this new Ridge until I see more, as a Ridge fan tho I wouldve just liked to seen the classic style come thru with some new hotness like cool wrecks and more creative tracks idk.

RR2's Max Tour was so satisfying. Nothing like requiring you to perfectly drift through an UPWARD ZIGZAG lane on the slowest cars.

Mael

Just saw the trailer....the only thing that I can think off now after watching this is.....
"EXTREEEEMME!!!!!!!!!"

And not in a good way....I get it's not a product for anyone who liked the previous RR, right?

Kuran

Banned
I knew something was off when I saw American supercars in Ridge Racer 3DS. Namco is trying to pander to the western audience..

SolidSnakex said:
Rage's gameplay with RRT4's presentation.

The presentation in R4 is still unrivaled.

faridmon

SapientWolf said:
A name is just a name. Although had it been called Destruction Derby this thread would have gone to 11.
Wrong. This is Ridge Bloody Racer we are talking about. The ultimate Arcade racing series. This will only tarnish the name. I know it will turn out an awome Flatout-like game, but call it something else. Not RR FFS...

Suzzopher

Oh dear. Another one of my favourite franchises gets westernised.

Nothing against Bugbear, they are a quality studio. SEGA Rally PSP is perhaps the best SEGA Rally since the original. But that trailer looks nothing like a Ridge Racer game.

I'm out.

...At least RR4 is coming to (NA) PSN Store. But how long that may take, who knows...

Hopefully by next generation, the Japanese developers/publishers will be beyond the phase of plucking straws as to why their games aren't selling as much as they used to, stop poorly emulating Western cliche novelty games, go back to sticking to their guns (and do it well), and things will (magically) be "back to normal" again (normal being PS2 era and before).

For example, we can already smell Capcom's unplanned distraught after the "DmC" reveal and we can be pretty much sure the series will be back on track for the real DMC5 after DmC quickly blows over into obscurity.

This generation has been a major shift and learning experience for all devs/pubs.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
jetsetfluken said:
This generation has been a major shift and learning experience for all devs/pubs.

Despite all the great games and experiences that have been delivered by a lot of companies this generation, the entire thing will be looked back on with a "what the fuck were we thinking?" mentality by a lot of developers and publishers.

jetsetfluken said:
Hopefully by next generation, the Japanese developers/publishers will be beyond the phase of plucking straws as to why their games aren't selling as much as they used to, stop poorly emulating Western cliche novelty games, go back to sticking to their guns (and do it well), and things will (magically) be "back to normal" again (normal being PS2 era and before).
If the Japanese stick to their guns, they'll find the low sales and growing indifference to their game styles that brought them to their current situation in the first place. Since Japan has gone in the direction of the mobile/handheld device, you should probably just look forward to that space for more classic Japanese-styled games. Until consoles are the primary gaming platform there again, Japanese publishers and developers will target the people buying the most games on those platforms, everyone outside of Japan and Asia. Obviously, that doesn't mean you can't have perfectly Japanesey games that kick ass, but Namco is one of several Japanese houses that, IMO, has completely failed to act successfully to the changed marketplace of the last eight or so years.

Dan Yo

Banned
The music in R4 alone was just awesome. At least half of what will make a successor to R4 a worthy one for me will depend on its soundtrack and whether it has the same style/talent behind it that R4 did.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dan Yo said:
The music in R4 alone was just awesome. At least half of what will make a successor to R4 a worthy one for me will depend on its soundtrack and whether it has the same style/talent behind it that R4 did.

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm gonna go on record and say that you *MIGHT* have a point there.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, Ridge Racer was one of the most consistent series in style (and quality, forgetting about RRDS and Racing Evolution) since DQ. Really sad to see this, I think the most despicable trend this gen isn't expensive DLC that should have been in the game, nor is it a shitty single-player mode... it's rather the Japanese outsourcing products to the west, where 99% of the time it turns out into a mockery of the original.

Oneself

Me a couple of minutes ago:

"A new RR!!! OMG WTFH!?!?
Holyshit there's a trailer!!!
Bugbear? mmm ok, Flatout2 was allright.. hopefully the controls will be responsive.
CG trailer...
Hotrods...
Crashes...
Logo looks like NFS....
Meh"

Sounds like focus group meetings were held at Namco... I'll wait & see, maybe it will rock.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cuyahoga said:
R4, 64, DS and 6.
Well no wonder you've formed such an opinion. I'm not sure how you would find R4 devoid of personality or style, but 64 and DS were absolutely TERRIBLE and have nothing to do with the real Ridge Racer series. Like Unbounded, those two were developed by alternate Western studios rather than Namco themselves.

Most of the real installments are full of style and feature some of the sharpest presentations in the genre. Nothing Bugbear has created comes even remotely close.

Well I tried Ridge Racer V again since I just rebought it this last week. Got damn. I don't remember it being this good.
I know! The game is fantastic and just oozing with style. I know R4 is the favorite, but I've always preferred RRV in every way. Now that they've both aged, I think RRV's superiority is even clearer.

It's just a shame the image quality is so rough. I wish the game had received the same attention TTT got when it was released in the US. Would love to play RRV in HD, but every attempt at using the PCSX2 emulator produces slow, glitchy results.

camineet

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
I honestly dont think we will see a ridge racer 8 until next gen at this point.

Cannot wait, and I agree. I'm sure Namco will be there with Ridge Racers 3 or something for the PSP2 launch.

Gravijah

Dan Yo said:

RR1 music > R4

Top Bottom