• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Payback revealed (NFS: Fast & Furious, Nov 10, PC/PS4/XB1) [Trailer]

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I have two wishes for this game:

-Better cop AI:
The last game was embarrassing, how you had to pretty much work to have them keep following you. Until the game randomly decides to glue them to you for a 10 minute .

Agreed on this. Every cop was on you like they were all T-1000s after John Conner. Maybe that's ok every once in a while, but not every single time.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
As long as there's no always online, i'll keep an open mind about it..but seriously, i've never seen the point of narrative in NFS games, even back when underground had those stupid cutscenes to put context to races. I don't even need that

How EA keeps thinking narrative based racing is the right direction for this series is increasingly a mystery to me. Is there really consumer feedback that exists that's like "More story. Arcade racing needs more story. Definitely."? Really strange.

I completely agree. I guess they could just stop doing that. I mean, it's not like anyone would bat an eyelash if they suddenly went with NFS: Fast Cars.

Both of you are woefully dull to the needs of this particular market. Yes, people want story in their racing games.

Let's put it this way. Forza Horizon 3 got a racing game of the generation tier reception, and the last shipment number we got was 2.5 million units by the end of December, which would be a "literally just shut the studio down immediately" tier performance at EA.

Like yes, EA makes multiplatform games, but still, they're the type of company that's not interested in under 5 million units on this kind of investment, with an ideal trending above that.

Toward that end, they're going to have to try at least something unorthodox compared to what the racing genre normally does.

Well, Id say look at the highest selling NFS, and the highs that the series is used to.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I wonder if the in-game discount that is part of the Deluxe edition stacks with the EA Access discount on in-game purchases?

Tinúviel

Looks much more interesting then the NFS:2015.It still is a cheesy story but this looks way more fun then the "tonight we ride" kind of stuff.Also this time it looks like they're giving more freedom.

Also is day/night cycle confirmed?

First thing I thought was hell yes.

This is what they needed to do. Get some set-pieces going, bring some other gameplay elements than only the races, but robberies and shit.

Just like the FAst and Furious movies. Can be very good

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think the publisher trend of destroying arcade racers kinda was a self fulfilling prophecy on their part to retrain their userbase during the AAA boom of last gen. Kneecap your franchises, nobody buys them, says they don't sell, take them out back.

rrs

MW sold 16 million? DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!
multigen game and it gave all the fans what they wanted: fast cars and cops for the hot pursuit fans and tuning, more jdm than you can shake a stick at, and cops for the fnf undground players

Tinúviel

Some trailer sshots.

14vupt.jpg

2aiu77.jpg

3njug0.jpg

4gduto.jpg

5tuujt.jpg

60euin.jpg

7vsule.jpg

KodaRuss

Looks pretty dumb but I guess Ill wait for reviews. Hopefully Gran Turismo is out around then so I can get my driving fix in some where.

KRaZyAmmo

Looks pretty dumb but I guess Ill wait for reviews. Hopefully Gran Turismo is out around then so I can get my driving fix in some where.

This is what I'm doing this time around. I have mixed feelings about this game. From the stupid story and characters to the cars.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Since it's no longer online-only, I might buy it this time. I was never going to create an EA online account to play one game offline.

SliChillax

Tinúviel;238934706 said:
Some trailer sshots.

Looks amazing. People are salty as hell, they'd rather have endless repetitive races with for no reason than cool story missions, heists and whatnot. Those pictures look amazing and finding abandoned cars to modify them sounds awesome. I only hope they can improve the driving. NFS 2015 driving wasn't bad after you thoroughly fine tuned the handling of the car but that's not good for most people who are not into that. I just hope this game satisfies me, Horizon 3 while being extremely solid, it got boring so quick because of the lack of narrative, it's why I enjoyed Horizon 1 so much.

EGOMON

I see they have the Regera in the game, hopefully Bugatti Chiron is there too.
Showdown of the Megacars

nikos

As someone who loves F&F cheese, I had a grin on my face for the entire duration of that trailer. The characters even sounded like Dom and Letty.

Really looking forward to this.

Zukkoyaki

They have my interest. Looks like they're embracing the series' arcade and over-the-top roots with this entry which is exciting.

shockdude

There was a short offroad segment near the end of the trailer, nice.
The setting promises a lot of track variety; hopefully it can deliver.

cooldawn

I know a small map doesn't equal a bad game but, in the times of an expansive The Crew, surely this is a bit...too small and culturally narrow? Obviously it'll technically look better...but then so will The Crew 2 with, probably, another massive map.

I know a small map doesn't equal a bad game but, in the times of an expansive The Crew, surely this is a bit...too small and culturally narrow? Obviously it'll technically look better...but then so will The Crew 2 with, probably, another massive map.

I don't think Forza Horizon 3 has a bigger map than The Crew and it shits on it from the high heavens. Doesn't matter here either, TC2 can get a 10x bigger map but with always online it will always be a pass for me.

Based on the hackneyed, generic dialog in this trailer, Payback seems more in line with previous attempts at replicating FnF's car family, than actual FnF (or a Most Wanted.) I don't trust I'll manage to care about what's going on with these characters or the story.

But I do have some faith in what this might be like to play. I'm into the idea of adventure racing. If it's reminiscent of stuff like Burnout, Driver, Split Second, I could see this being alright.

Stealth50

Sweet, love the new theme and the lighter art style. The always-night idea of the previous game didn't really appeal to me.

Top Bottom