• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Payback revealed (NFS: Fast & Furious, Nov 10, PC/PS4/XB1) [Trailer]

Need to see more but F&F the game is pretty much what I want.

Also, good they came to their sense with the online only crap. Why was that even necessary for a singleplayer mode?

Skux

I mean, F&F is huge, so why the fuck not.

If they can pull off the crew heist feeling of the films then count me in.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Skux said:
I mean, F&F is huge, so why the fuck not.
Thing is - doing FF worked for them 13 years ago when NFS outsold just about everything, including GT, but never again since - and not for lack of trying. Granted, they never did the latest movies, but while I don't really watch these, they seemed to have left "racing" behind a long time ago...

Dammit, open world again!

I dont know why I held out hope it would be a return to menu racing again but man was I hoping it would not be open world.

I don't think people understand. F & F sells because it's F & F and people find the characters in those films endearing. They aren't going to buy an F & F knockoff. NFS needs its own identity which is traditional arcadey racing with exotic sports cars in beautiful naturalistic environments with actual tracks.

jacobeid

Banned
?

NFS 2015 is easily the most beautiful racing game out there.

From a graphical level Forza Horizon 3 likely takes the cake.

Looking forward to seeing more of this, but Dirt 4 may be my racing game for the year since I loved rally so much.

Bandit1

need_for_speed_payback_Action-Off-Road.jpg

I'm already digging the fact that we'll be able to find old cars that have been sitting for a long time and fix them up. It's something I've kind of always wanted in a racing game. Instead of buying this 50 year old car that's in 100% perfect condition and costs $50,000 let me find one that's been sitting around for a long time, rusty, missing parts, buy it cheap and fix it up. Excited to see how far they go with this.

Hip Hop

need_for_speed_payback_Action-Off-Road.jpg

I'm already digging the fact that we'll be able to find old cars that have been sitting for a long time and fix them up. It's something I've kind of always wanted in a racing game. Instead of buying this 50 year old car that's in 100% perfect condition and costs $50,000 let me find one that's been sitting around for a long time, rusty, missing parts, buy it cheap and fix it up. Excited to see how far they go with this.
So like Forza Horizon has been doing it.

I don't think people understand. F & F sells because it's F & F and people find the characters in those films endearing. They aren't going to buy an F & F knockoff. NFS needs its own identity which is traditional arcadey racing with exotic sports cars in beautiful naturalistic environments with actual tracks.

I get where you're coming from, but there have been racers about racing exotics around beautiful environments and they don't put up the numbers that I think EA expects from NFS. The sales of the franchise suggest that the big numbers are in driving heavily modified production cars through cities as the most successful NFS games are the Underground titles and Most Wanted 2005.

I think they're basically trying to use a formula that they know works for the franchise while trying something new. So, it's not relying entirely on the F&F factor.

LaNaranja

This looks great. Haven't played a NFS game since Criterion's Most Wanted. I have been itching for an arcade racer with customization for a while now and was bummed out when The Crew ended up being a steaming turd in terms of controls and the most recent NFS had that stupid "only at night" stuff that turned me off. Hopefully this turns out good.

I used to believe that too but then the movies keep making money after Justin Lin left the franchise and the characters became stupid parodies of themselves. The characters in Fast and Furious haven't been endearing since 6. And yet it was 7 and 8 that made over a billion.

Seventy70

I really miss old NFS. I don't understand why they feel the need to try some new bullshit every year. Just make a good basic NFS game to start with and build on top of that.

Tommi84

?
NFS 2015 is easily the most beautiful racing game out there.
I'm not sure if I'd go that far. It's a looker, obviously. Sadly, the driving model is just hot, steaming pile of poo and there's nothing this game can do to convince me to get back to it.

Nokterian

I eh..again why does it narrative? Going back to Underground and even Most Wanted in 2005, sure it was cheesy but in the end you could do what you want and now you are stuck yet again with another dumb story that doesn't add anything.

Daffy Duck

From a graphical level Forza Horizon 3 likely takes the cake.

Looking forward to seeing more of this, but Dirt 4 may be my racing game for the year since I loved rally so much.

I love Horizon 3 but it's not even close.

NFS has the magic of always night time and some amazing graphics. It really does look amazing.

gossi

NFS has the magic of always night time and some amazing graphics. It really does look amazing.

Horizon 3 looks fucking amazing. Surprising to see people think NFS looked better, but hey. I played Horizon in HDR thou.

SliChillax

I agree, Horizon 3 is great but NFS 15 is pure eye candy. I've only played both on PC so I don't know how it compares on consoles.

Mascot

So is this the F&F game that SMS are making, or another one? I really can't see SMS jumping into bed with EA again.

Probity

It seems like mechanically I would really enjoy it. I remember enjoying MW and Rivals in those aspects, and I like the idea of a story and some sort of action packed nonsense.

But these stories and acting and all of it is always so bad. Like it's forced and cheesy and uncomfortable and never feels authentic or fitting. I'm getting huge negative vibes about the story in this at this point even though I know it will bring good set piece moments.

But I'm happy with the other stuff. Offline play, improved graphics (I assume, hard to tell), deeper customization (in what will probably be a good menu), and arcade fun. Just annoyed about a corny and poorly implemented story around it.

It looks super dumb. But that just makes me even more hyped. I love dumb stories in racing games, it's what attracted me to the Crew.

Akai__

"Shitty" reboot it may be, but it is exactly what you'd get from a modern game with the Underground name.

No... That's what you get, if you let Criterion/Ghost Games make NFS games and not Burnout games. This is their 4th or 5th attempt at fuzing those games.

Top Bottom