• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Payback revealed (NFS: Fast & Furious, Nov 10, PC/PS4/XB1) [Trailer]

Akai__

Agreed, it would certainly cut down on the drive-by negative posting about the series from people who have poor taste.

Oh and you are the metric of good taste? Heh...

This is a reveal thread and it's totally okay to have a different opinion than others.

Flux

Tribute for EA / Origin Access.

The need for speed games have been the same open world, flat, 4-5 missions on repeat for years.

LaNaranja

Fact. NFS has been shit since Hot Pursuit.

Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted (the Criterion ones) were both really really fun. Hot Pursuit remains the best cops and robbers game around while Most Wanted was really fun with the rotating multiplayer modes and the asynchronous multiplayer with the speed traps and billboards in Most Wanted were all good fun.

wipeout364

It's probably not going to be a popular opinion but I think if EA wants to really develop a narrative driving game they need to let people get out of the car and add third person mechanics to the game. The technology is at the point that the driveing mechanics don't have to suffer and I think it would allow for greater dimensions to the story. I think this is the only way they will get the sales numbers they want as no pure driving game in 2017 is going to move 5 million units .

I personally thought the last two games were pretty good games but they both seemed like disappointments to EA so I'm not sure why they expect a different result with this one.

Bandit1

I'm betting this game is going to have engine swaps. The 240Z in the trailer screams Chevy V8 swap.

NFS-Payback_2-1200x800.jpg

I just booted up NFS: Most Wanted (the Criterion one) on my PC for the first time and I'm actually really impressed with it so far.

The handling is a lot nicer than Hot Pursuit had (the only other NFS game I've played) which felt very heavy. Its actually way closer to Burnout than I expected, especially with the billboard smashing and stuff like that. I'm also playing it directly after finishing The Crew, and for a last Gen game it holds up graphically too.

If this new game can capture some of this games goodness (and from what I've heard that last several NFS games haven't) then maybe I'll give it a shot.

Nokterian

I just booted up NFS: Most Wanted (the Criterion one) on my PC for the first time and I'm actually really impressed with it so far.

The handling is a lot nicer than Hot Pursuit had (the only other NFS game I've played) which felt very heavy. Its actually way closer to Burnout than I expected, especially with the billboard smashing and stuff like that. I'm also playing it directly after finishing The Crew, and for a last Gen game it holds up graphically too.

If this new game can capture some of this games goodness (and from what I've heard that last several NFS games haven't) then maybe I'll give it a shot.

The biggest problem with Most Wanted that one is there is literally nothing, no car customization worst of all you need to unlock every single piece to make your better and faster. PC version run even worse than Hot Pursuit (hot pursuit wasn't great on pc either but with some tinkering it did run better).

Reani

i hope that at least in this version they'll manage to fix multiplayer. game desperately needs actual lobbies to gather people.
Since 2012 most wanted its SO hard to get people to actually race online its ridiculous. Everyone either ignores meeting spots or just denies race requests. Its absurd how hard it is to actually race people online in a NFS racing game.

Daffy Duck

They made this look pretty rubbish in fairness...I hate the cutscenes in the middle of gameplay to then jump back to the gameplay.

I hate that taking you out the driving and robbing you of the input during the moment she jumps and the slo mo takedowns.

The VA seems awful as well, it's like a bad version of the Fast and Furious, in going to guess this will be the basis for a NFS 2 film as well at some point in the next year or two.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's probably not going to be a popular opinion but I think if EA wants to really develop a narrative driving game they need to let people get out of the car and add third person mechanics to the game. The technology is at the point that the driveing mechanics don't have to suffer and I think it would allow for greater dimensions to the story. I think this is the only way they will get the sales numbers they want as no pure driving game in 2017 is going to move 5 million units .

I personally thought the last two games were pretty good games but they both seemed like disappointments to EA so I'm not sure why they expect a different result with this one.
No, Interstate 76 had it right. Never get out of the car.

Bog

Junior Ace
where is the hype for this game? i heard u can now disable the crash cam and cops are absent from free roam mode, hype is through the fukin roof now.

DAY ZERO

It's non-existent with people I talk to. It's too bad because it's checking all the boxes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
where is the hype for this game? i heard u can now disable the crash cam and cops are absent from free roam mode, hype is through the fukin roof now.

DAY ZERO

nobody wanted a fast and furious clone more to do with spectacle and cinematography than racing though. People just another hot pursuit 2010. I'd take a remaster of that with all DLC over payback

nobody wanted a fast and furious clone more to do with spectacle and cinematography than racing though. People just another hot pursuit 2010. I'd take a remaster of that with all DLC over payback

Or better yet, a full remake of the PS2 NFS:HP2. The greatest arcade racer of all time IMO

Inuhanyou

Or better yet, a full remake of the PS2 NFS:HP2. The greatest arcade racer of all time IMO

eh, i think burnout is far better than something like that. NFSHP2 hasn't aged well going back to it. Its how i used to think midnight club 2 was the best thing since sliced bread...went back to it recently, no dice...

Based on my old time with ps2 arcade car racers, only burnout has held up

Does this include split screen?

no

but the campaign is just 1 aspect of the game, it still has everything else you would expect from a racer. hp2010 is still very good but honestly rivals is probably better, that open world map and that fancy drive system that allows people to hop in at any time was great though the physics were not as good.

Wiped89

As a huge fan of arcade racers and someone who has played every single Need Fot Speed game since Hot Pursuit, this looks amazing.

I've played and enjoyed Burnout 2-Paradise, NFS Hot Pursuit, NFS Most Wanted, NFS Rivals and NFS 2015 as well as Forza Horizon 1-3, so this is definitely right up my street.

The first two Ghost Games releases were not at Criterion levels though so I'm hoping this will be a return to form.

eh, i think burnout is far better than something like that. NFSHP2 hasn't aged well going back to it. Its how i used to think midnight club 2 was the best thing since sliced bread...went back to it recently, no dice...

Based on my old time with ps2 arcade car racers, only burnout has held up

no

Huh definitely disagree - PS2 HP2 > HP 2010, track design, environments, campaign structure, physics... But to each his/her own I suppose. Regardless, cinematic story based racers are definitely not the direction NFS should be moving in.

Reani

day 0 for me and i am taking 1 week vacation close to release date.
i just love multiplayer, i hope they wont fuck it up this year

Inuhanyou

but the campaign is just 1 aspect of the game, it still has everything else you would expect from a racer. hp2010 is still very good but honestly rivals is probably better, that open world map and that fancy drive system that allows people to hop in at any time was great though the physics were not as good.

Rivals is better from a technical perspective(the driving, visuals and polish are all there), but it loses tons of points by not having a fixed map or racing structure, not being able to pause, or literally do anything besides drive around and hope to find random people in the same areas over and over again.

The "seamless" online thing they were going for didn't really work all that well at all and detracted from the game experience in a big way.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Day Minus Three via early access from the Deluxe Edition. It's been a long, hard two years without a new NFS.

Bandit1

I'm pumped for sure. I've got an itchy preorder finger but the game isn't up on Amazon yet... (What's up with that?)

But the customization looks great, car list is shaping up nicely, we've got drag racing, off roading and trucks. Honestly looks like it could be the best NFS in years to me.

Reani

Rivals is better from a technical perspective(the driving, visuals and polish are all there), but it loses tons of points by not having a fixed map or racing structure, not being able to pause, or literally do anything besides drive around and hope to find random people in the same areas over and over again.

The "seamless" online thing they were going for didn't really work all that well at all and detracted from the game experience in a big way.
while its true that rivals multiplayer structure made it almost impossible to actually race online in a racing game (!!!!), i will trade anything for the ability to ram people online as a cop again. chasing random people down, crashing them and watching them ragequit the session made my days. the thrill of the chase has never been more exciting. i LOVED being a hunter

The recently release story trailer was cringe, from weird looking character faces and cringe dialogues. Why can't they just show the gameplay in these trailers with actual gameplay camera perspective?

arlucool

The biggest problem with Most Wanted that one is there is literally nothing, no car customization worst of all you need to unlock every single piece to make your better and faster.

I actually bought that game on Wii U a few months ago, and I keep coming back to it, because it looks so pretty but it's (un)intuitive as fuck. I can't anticipate well/fast enough where I'm suppose to turn, or if an obstacle is right ahead. It requires try and try after try until you can sort of memorize the tracks. They need to use some optional Augmented Reality guides or lines (there's actually some real life precedent to this). and I remember the original Most Wanted back on GameCube had stylized invincible walls to help you keep on track.

v1lla21

I’ve not seen anything regarding the game besides the first trailer and the story trailer. I’m gonna wait it out and see reviews/ gaf impressions. I didn’t like the last games handling at all

TaurezAG

Anyone going to be doing an OT for this?
I'm preparing one.

NFSGaf, please help me with this, especially with the OT title and key points that should be in the FAQ / overview. I haven't been checking the subreddit much, and probably missed many points form Ben.

Top Bottom