• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded Announced (BugBear, PC/PS3/360) - Drive, Destroy, Dominate

Domstercool

betweenthewheels said:
Since we're on the topic, which is the better Ridge Racer 6 or 7?

Plus it also has car modifications, slipstreaming and a new nitrous charge system (three different types of nitrous to use in a race, the whole 1 giant bar nitrous was godlike!)

geebee

Banned
ourumov said:
Still in shock...
Pretty much sums up where Japanese Game Industry is going.
I can't express how sad I am about this. Ridge Racer has been my all time favorite arcade racing franchise ever since I played the original in arcades. This new game looks like a Need For Speed Underground wannabe... even the logo looks like it belongs with a NFS title. I won't get started on the developer... I'm just so disappointed. I really have no idea how to express it. :/

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Writing has been on the wall for a loooooong time with Namco. Their only decent effort this generation was Ridge Racer on PSP till it was blown away by its sequel. Katamari Forever was a decent effort but it was more of a compilation of nostalgia than anything else. The fact that Ridge Racer on PSP is nothing more than a compilation as well just goes to show how things are at Pacman Co.

No one should be surprised at how this has turned out. Tekken fans will always be Tekken fans, but Namco is the new Sega. Embrace it.

P.S. Please stop saying the death of the Japanese gaming industry when Nintendo is rolling the battlefield like Napoleon.

Pachael

It's RR:FlatOut. To be honest, the two series could not be any more different.

Namco becoming the new Sega? I'd support that if Tekken wasn't pounding VF in its ass.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
mrklaw said:
How well do old ridge racers stand up to emulation? Eg rage or R4?
Buy Ridge Racer 2 on PSP. Has all the circuits from previous games and all the music tracks, though I believe there is only one circuit from RR5? Been a while since I booted it up; but it has all the PS1 stuff.

Jonnyram

To celebrate this announcement, I am going to buy Ridge Racers 2 on PSN (once my PSP Go has charged), and I'm giving them the finger for this shitty title. If they don't have an NGP Ridge Racer in development, I will send them a turd in a jiffy bag.

thirty

Banned
Dammit namco r4 was the perfect departure from the ridge formula and imo the best ridge game in the series. All they needed to do for the PERFECT ridge would be cars that drive like classic ridge and r4 ridge to satisfy both camps, ditch the stupid nitros and slip streaming, keep r4s style of story elements, tie ridge, rage, r4 and raves cities together in a nice hd package, include all the music from all the ridge games and bam. Perfect 10s. But this? This? You are officially going the way of sega with this one. If you go thru with calling this ridge racer you are "shadow the hedgehog"-ing the franchise. *patooey* spit on you. Then again it's just a trailer... if the team working on it are ridge fans that could help but what also made ridge what it was WAS the namco team and the Japanese feel. Farming this out seems like a horrible mistake. Imo sega rally revo would be a fair comparison. Good game but just didn't feel like rally at all.

RSLAEV

Ahahaha what the fuuuck? As soon as I saw her hit that taxi I laughed my ass off! This? This is the new Ridge Racer???

Seriously whoever made this teaser has no...*NO* idea why people play Ridge Racer. All you have to do is play through R4-that was the 'Ridge Racer Aesthetic' in it's purest form. This, this is just pandering. This is the Gun Survivor of the Ridge Racer series.

This is one time I'm going to agree with Prima donna Gaf. That trailer was just horrible and was nothing like Ridge Racer.

Didn't Namco say that they weren't going to use Western developers for their games anymore?

marathonfool said:
Yes! Another Ridge Racer Soundtrack!

Wait, there's a game too?

So you think that they'll make sure that the soundtrack reminds people of the old RR games even though they're changing how it plays and looks?

manzo

I'm glad my countrymen got a high regarded arcade racer license under their hood.

However, this is not Ridge Racer. Never will be.

There's something very late 90s about this trailer. Maybe it's the terrible quasi-human animation on the girl who isn't Reiko, or the general trying-too-hardness.

Echoing everyone else... just give us R4 style again.

gkryhewy

Asparagus said:
Sigh... why not just make a current gen Ridge Racer Type 4?

Because they apparently can't make any money on that style of game anymore. RR6 and RR7 absolutely cratered.

I honestly feel for Namco on this one, but they aren't doing themselves any favors here.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Gravijah said:
The logo looks really familiar, but I can't figure out what it looks like...
BxkON.jpg

UjoWB.png

Also having her drive into the alleyway in the exact car from RR7 and then getting into the muscle car and then killing some taxi is quite symbolic.

Gravijah

Veins said:
http://i.imgur.com/BxkON.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UjoWB.png[IMG]

Also having her drive into the alleyway in the exact car from RR7 and then getting into the muscle car and then killing some taxi is quite symbolic.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought of right when I saw the logo, Need for fuckin' Speed. I think there's even one that looks even more like that logo.

gkryhewy

speedpop said:
Buy Ridge Racer 2 on PSP. Has all the circuits from previous games and all the music tracks, though I believe there is only one circuit from RR5? Been a while since I booted it up; but it has all the PS1 stuff.

Is that available on PSN anywhere? I.e., would it be possible to play on NGP?

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Gravijah said:
That's what I thought of right when I saw the logo, Need for fuckin' Speed. I think there's even one that looks even more like that logo.
Yeah it looks really familiar, but I can't pinpoint what game.

Raide

So, this is Ridge Racer trying to be Burnout? I can understand they want to try and do something fresh with the Ridge Racer franchise but I am not sure this is it. Actually, who cares about Ridge Racer now? Just do a nice HD remix of the previous few RR games and XBLA/PSN it. Magic!

You all are reading alot into this teaser. Shouldn't we wait until screenshots (unless there have been some that I missed). I just dont see the NFS comparisons that people make, as NFS hasnt been like this for years...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I just heard from a buddy of mine who supposedly knows someone who works for Namco, and he says this new alledged Ridge Racer game is an elaborate hoax and that there has been NO such annuncement from Namco of an RR game whatsoever.

I am going to side with my buddy on this one and assume his story is credible. Thank God. Because I was afraid this was actually a REAL game. *breathes a sigh of relief*

twinturbo2 said:
isamu, at least there's Sega Rally Online Arcade. :)

Yeah but my wheel doesn't work with the 360 or PSN :( Plus Dirt 3 is right around the corner.

Some more details directly from NAMCO

Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America today announced RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC. The newest installment of the smash racing franchise aims to shake up the genre by breaking all the rules and a plenty of cars along the way. Get ready to take the action off the circuits and into the streets for one of the most action-packed and destructive racing games ever seen.

RIDGE RACER UNBOUNDED takes the RIDGE RACER series in whole new direction by adding a punishing dose of destruction to the familiar arcade gameplay. Players will careen through the competition using their four-wheeled street-racing thoroughbreds as high-octane wrecking machines with a new mantra – Drive, Destroy, Dominate.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1147898p1.html

isamu said:
I just heard from a buddy of mine who supposedly knows someone who works for Namco, and he says this new alledged Ridge Racer game is an elaborate hoax and that there has been NO such annuncement from Namco of an RR game whatsoever.

I am going to side with my buddy on this one and assume his story is credible. Thank God. Because I was afraid this was actually a REAL game. *breathes a sigh of relief*

I wish you weren't joking.

Players will careen through the competition using their four-wheeled street-racing thoroughbreds as high-octane wrecking machines with a new mantra – Drive, Destroy, Dominate.

Whatever this ends up being, it certainly won't be a Ridge Racer...

S. L. said:
first SSX now Ridge Racer

;_;

EA swears that SSX will still play like the old games while NAMCO is making it clear that this game won't be anything like the old games. The creative director said that SSX: DD looks different because he was playing SSX Tricky and some of his team thought he was playing a Wii game. So they decided to update the look of SSX to make it more appealing to PS3 and 360 fans. And i'm not joking.

Rolf NB

plagiarize said:
Unbounded means what? more unbound?

it's even more completely without boundaries!

unbounded.

yeah, i hope they change that.
You really should consider learning a language.

Top Bottom