• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded Announced (BugBear, PC/PS3/360) - Drive, Destroy, Dominate

Afrikan

Finaika said:
It won't. Western developers can't make a decent fighter.

2e30ax3.jpg

don't hate.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ResidentDante said:
Burnout Paradise managed the powerslides well in an open enviroment, so does NFS Hot Pursuit. Allthough NFS HP has far less junctions and sharp corners.

I'm more excited over the anticipation of your answer to who the fine piece of ass is in your avatar, than I am this game.

Raistlin

Maybe it's because of my math/comp Sci background, but I fail to see the issue with name. Just the opposite, I think it's good.

isamu said:
I'm more excited over the anticipation of your answer to who the fine piece of ass is in your avatar, than I am this game.
Haha, it's Lene Alexandra from Norway when she used to do glamour modelling.

Have fun (a bit NSFW):
http://4mylinks.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Lene+Alexandra+LeneWash.jpg
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/24186273/Lene+Alexandra+lenealexandra3.jpg
http://img.listal.com/image/910793/600full-lene-alexandra.jpg
http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/l/i/liq69i383e8e8e3.jpg

:D

ResidentDante said:
Burnout Paradise managed the powerslides well in an open enviroment, so does NFS Hot Pursuit. Allthough NFS HP has far less junctions and sharp corners.

The drifting in Ridge Racer is absolutely nothing like the drifting in those games and is predicated on the fact that you are on a preset route. Outrun 2 works in a similar way. It's the reason the drifting is able to be so ridiculous yet the game is still playable.

But then again, I don't expect this game to be anything like "real" Ridge Racer.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ResidentDante said:
One thing I noticed about Flatout is that the cars really felt like they had weight and inertia. Vehicle weight felt oddly subdued in BOP in comparison. Not that it's a big deal for an arcadey racing game. I think the surprising thing there is that Flatout isn't as arcadey as it looks.

I don't know if Ridge Racer fans are gonna like it but it could give NFS HP a run for its money.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
More like NFS or Burnout? Like objectives and such? I just want traditional RR. Hopefully they come to some sense and bring one over to NGP.

Gravijah

Relaxed Muscle said:
The cars dosn't look like RR cars.

The cities dosn't look like RR cities.

Traffic on my RR?!!

Also, RR had a distinctive style and presentation....this could pass as a new NFS or Burnaou game or whatever boring looking modern racer.

So yeah Namco, thanks for remind us with those shitty teasers RR is dead.

What the hell man why you puttin' Burnout into the "boring looking modern racer" category. :mad:

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I will go on record and say this right now...If the game comes out has the following:

A)Decent drifitng mechanics
B)Force Feedback wheel support(PC)
C)Runs at 60fps or higher on PC's without too many issues
D)Decent to good netcode
E)The ability to race others online with the option for *pure* races without all the car combat bullshit

.....then I will buy it. But it has to have all those elements above.

yyr

I don't use steering wheel controllers at home or play this kind of game on PC, but you pretty much nailed my other requirements. I would like

A)Decent, CHALLENGING drifting mechanics
B)Runs at 60fps or higher without too many issues
C)Decent to good netcode
D)The ability to race others online with the option for *pure* races without all the car combat bullshit

The drifting should have some challenge to it, though. A lot of people seem to like R4, but IMHO it is easily the series' weakest entry. Yeah, the story bits and the "team" feeling were cool, the course design was great as usual, and the soundtrack was fantastic... but the reduction in the number of opponents made the tracks feel empty compared to other RR titles, and the drifting was dumbed down to the point where you could pretty much sleep through every race and still win easily. It was boring to me after a while. It was totally different from Rage Racer before it, where the final races demanded absolute perfection. I actually spent more time playing the Ridge Racer Turbo Mode disc than I did R4.

60fps is VERY important to me in my racing games. If a modern racing game doesn't run at 60, I won't even want to play it. It was okay back in the PS1 days because the hardware was so limited, but ever since the Dreamcast, it's 60 or bust as far as I'm concerned.

I've been playing (and loving) Ridge Racer from the very first game, not even skipping one, and I'm truly worried. My biggest fear is that Namco will put the franchise on very long-term hiatus or kill it entirely if this title bombs...which sucks, considering that 6 and 7 are still phenomenal games, and possibly the high point of the series.

I am keeping in mind however that Western developers have successfully developed for Japanese series before. The best example that comes to my mind is Metroid Prime...what a nice surprise that game was. I was expecting the Nintendo-developed Fusion to rock and Prime to be awful...after actually playing through both I felt the exact opposite!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
isamu said:
Wow....depressing isn't the word.

Why do I get the feeling I'm gonna have much more fun playing Trackmania II than this?
Maybe people wouldn't complain as much if they called it Flatout 3: The Flattening.

I forgot the subtitle for this is unbounded. It's just a terrible name.

Anyways, GFWL marketplace has bugbears flat-out 2 on sale for a fiver. Doesn't feel like RR at all but it's worth a look if you're interested in their style of racing.

isamu

OK, I'm now quite a bit more optimistic after watching this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcTbcNi-22U

They're talking about how they are fans of the old rr games and how the game will appeal to us old rr fans. I honestly don't mind the destruction part, as long as we can slide the cars and as long as the *CORE* elements that I look for in a racer are there:

Performs well on PC(at least 60fps with no stutters)
Has decent steering wheel and Force Feedback support
Has nice looking graphics
Has good to exceptional online netcode with minimal lag
Has short and acceptable loading times

These things are all I ask for in a racing game, and if it delivers these ingredients, it goes a LONG way towards getting me to buy the game. Burnout-style destructability I can deal with.

isamu said:
OK, I'm now quite a bit more optimistic after watching this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcTbcNi-22U

They're talking about how they are fans of the old rr games and how the game will appeal to us old rr fans. I honestly don't mind the destruction part, as long as we can slide the cars and as long as the *CORE* elements that I look for in a racer are there:

Performs well on PC(at least 60fps with no stutters)
Has decent steering wheel and Force Feedback support
Has nice looking graphics
Has good to exceptional online netcode with minimal lag
Has short and acceptable loading times

These things are all I ask for in a racing game, and if it delivers these ingredients, it goes a LONG way towards getting me to buy the game. Burnout-style destructability I can deal with.
the actual gameplay they kind of show in the video looks a little more "RR" to me. if the music in that video is indicative of the actual soundtrack i'm a little more hopeful.

if it ends up the game is basically burnout with dubstep i'll be so sad.

Oneself

Indeed, that latest video does seem interesting. :) I do have faith that it will be a good racing game though.. it just doesn't look / feel like Ridge Racer from what I can see.

The music in this video is excellent BTW!

isamu

One thing that gave me a smile was when the Japanese Namco guy said how the guys at Bugbear are big Ridge Racer Otaku and that when he asks for something to get done, they deliver it 10 different ways and surpass his expectations.

Also, when the Bugbear guys acknowledge they're aware of how Ridge Racer games play and how it won't leave true RR fans out in the cold, was very promising :)

Vorg

Banned
isamu said:
One thing that gave me a smile was when the Japanese Namco guy said how the guys at Bugbear are big Ridge Racer Otaku and that when he asks for something to get done, they deliver it 10 different ways and surpass his expectations.

Also, when the Bugbear guys acknowledge they're aware of how Ridge Racer games play and how it won't leave true RR fans out in the cold, was very promising :)

I wish I hadn't watched that. It just confirms that they're making a burnout clone. It has nothing to do with Ridge Racer. How can they not disappoint the fans when they're making a completely different game while slapping the Ridge Racer name on it?

Yeah, I'm pretty damn keen on checking out this new direction for Ridge after that dev diary. I dunno, I don't think fans have anything to lose...especially considering many say their favourite Ridge game is R4, so the series hasn't been at their particular choice of pinnacle for a while now. What've they got to lose!? :D

Me personally, I'm a big fan of the PSP and beyond versions of Ridge, and while Unbounded is not going down that road, Bugbear have done great work in the past and I bet this will be a solid racing game as well with more than a little classic Ridge flavour.

isamu said:

NAMCO has said that the game is more like NFS and Burnout than Ridge Racer. I don't think that anyone would say "That's Ridge Racer" if they were just shown videos of this game without knowing the name.

They're probably trying to turn RR into a brand like NFS. That'll allow them to do what EA does where they release games with the NFS name that look and play completely different from one another. Shift leans toward sim racing, Hot Pursuit was a pure arcade racer and The Run is an arcade racer with destruction and a story.

isamu

SolidSnakex said:
NAMCO has said that the game is more like NFS and Burnout than Ridge Racer. I don't think that anyone would say "That's Ridge Racer" if they were just shown videos of this game without knowing the name.

They're probably trying to turn RR into a brand like NFS. That'll allow them to do what EA does where they release games with the NFS name that look and play completely different from one another. Shift leans toward sim racing, Hot Pursuit was a pure arcade racer and The Run is an arcade racer with destruction and a story.

Yeah but they also say there will be elements on the game that will appeal to Ridge Racer fans, and that they know the formula Ridge Racer fans want out of an RR game. I think it will be an interesting hybrid of sorts.

Top Bottom