• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded Announced (BugBear, PC/PS3/360) - Drive, Destroy, Dominate

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
PepsimanVsJoe said:
isamu has slipped back into denial.

Could be worse, he could be trapped in the same horrible nightmare as I.

Heh, It's not denial bro. I honestly don't think you guys know what you're talking about in this thread. Wake up, there IS no new Ridge Racer! It's a HOKES!!!!!

Haunted

isamu said:
I just heard from a buddy of mine who supposedly knows someone who works for Namco, and he says this new alledged Ridge Racer game is an elaborate hoax and that there has been NO such annuncement from Namco of an RR game whatsoever.

I am going to side with my buddy on this one and assume his story is credible. Thank God. Because I was afraid this was actually a REAL game. *breathes a sigh of relief*
First stage in full effect.
Too textbook, too obvious, feels forced. C'mon isamu step your game up.

Flavius

Capcom: Uhhhhh...I don't know, man. Don't know WTF I'm going to DO, man!
Random Dude: Well, what are your options?
Capcom: Well, I can trot the same ole, same ole Ridge Racer whore out and make her dance for her dinner one more time. No surprises there...
Random Dude: Or?
Capcom: Or, I can give it to these guys that may actually do something worthwhile with the franchise.
Random Dude: That doesn't sound so bad.
Capcom: Naaaaah, man...you don't understand! It's going to be fucking terrible! They're great developers, but no one really played their games! Especially those freaks that haven't given up on the RR franchise. I mean, it's been years since we've done anything interesting with the property!!! The vocal minority is going to be absolutely deafening!!!
Random Dude: Oh...hmmm...I see your point. Well, let me ask you a question.
Capcom: Go on...
Random Dude: Do you want folks bitching now, and talking about how awesome it is later? Or do you want folks kinda' stoked about it now, and wanting to shove a pitchfork up your ass and the rest of Japanese gaming industry later?
Capcom: The first one...
Random Dude: Give it to Bugbear.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
so you're saying that this is all an elaborate attempt by capcom to sabotage namco's ridge racer franchise

leaving that aside, if this direction alienates ridge racer fans (and the teaser seems almost calculated to do so), and perhaps interests people who are hostile or indifferent to ridge racer, WHAT'S THE VALUE OF CALLING IT RIDGE RACER?

i haven't played any of bugbear's games, i'm perfectly willing to believe they're a competent developer, and it's fine if namco wants to make a nu-skool arcade racer. but this is clearly a grotesque misuse of a brand, and it isn't even going to help bugbear finally -- it's a product with the wrong label on it

Catshade

drohne said:
i haven't played any of bugbear's games, i'm perfectly willing to believe they're a competent developer, and it's fine if namco wants to make a nu-skool arcade racer. but this is clearly a grotesque misuse of a brand, and it isn't even going to help bugbear finally -- it's a product with the wrong label on it

I have played one of Bugbear's games. Let's just say that they're quite competent in making a Destruction Derby-style racing game.

Opiate

Lost in all the hubub about how terrible people think this looks is the fact that this is Namco's first PC game in 4 years. Their last was a Warhammer game they presumably published as an experiment, so this is their first (ahem) "main" franchise game on the PC in... a very long time.

meppi

isamu said:
Wake up, there IS no new Ridge Racer! It's a HOKES!!!!!

I can certainly live with that.
Well more than with the thought of having such an abomination being part of the franchice.

faridmon

I love Flatout and BigBear as whole (Finnish Devs will always be in my heart) but I don't want them touch the holy RR series.

Stupid Scamco and thier inability to do something good (Tales of Grces aside)

thirty

Banned
gkryhewy said:
Because they apparently can't make any money on that style of game anymore. RR6 and RR7 absolutely cratered.

I honestly feel for Namco on this one, but they aren't doing themselves any favors here.
Wrong. R4s style was totally different than any of the ridge series. Ahead of it's time really. It's absurd that in a industry that's supposed so be full of "creativity" that they'll try to cash in on fads that are already growing stale instead of crafting something from their own history.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
faridmon said:
I love Flatout and BigBear as whole (Finnish Devs will always be in my heart) but I don't want them touch the holy RR series.

Stupid Scamco and thier inability to do something good (Tales of Grces aside)
A name is just a name. Although had it been called Destruction Derby this thread would have gone to 11.

Dan Yo

Banned
Dammit, Namco. you could just re-release R4 without any enhancements at all and it would still be better reviewed and commercially received than any other efforts for the franchise in the last 13 years.

Seriously, make a game that properly iterates on R4 or just remake it. Stop trying anything else.

gkryhewy

thirty said:
Wrong. R4s style was totally different than any of the ridge series. Ahead of it's time really. It's absurd that in a industry that's supposed so be full of "creativity" that they'll try to cash in on fads that are already growing stale instead of crafting something from their own history.

You think more of an animu storyline and easy-peasy racing would enable breakout sales? I loved R4 too, but let's not kid ourselves.

Opiate said:
Lost in all the hubub about how terrible people think this looks is the fact that this is Namco's first PC game in 4 years. Their last was a Warhammer game they presumably published as an experiment, so this is their first (ahem) "main" franchise game on the PC in... a very long time.

I think that's mostly down to Bugbear. If this was done by a Japanese team, it would have been PS360.

What was the name of that dissolved European dev team that did Terminator and some other awful games? Apparently, they had a Final Fantasy game in development which was PC/PS3/360 as well.

They could have just called it Unbounded: Triple Ds or whatever.

But NNOOOOOOOOO

Japan sucks.
Europe sucks
America sucks.
The whole fucking world fucking sucks.

Look this is the way I see it. Namco is already putting Ridge Racer 3DS out, and they're sure to follow up with a Ridge Racer on the PSP2 (NGP can get fucked).

So that means handheld-GAF is gonna be all up ins posting their stupid smirking smilies and being all "hell yeah...handheld gaming is the only gaming that matters."

See but I don't wanna play games on handhelds. I kind of have to because there's some goodass games but handhelds stink. I'm never comfortable playing them and in one hour of handheld play I do everything from sitting, standing, lying down, lying against something, bent over, rolling around, attempted backflips. Thing is it looks more like I'm fighting off a face-hugger rather than playing a handheld.

R4 is overrated as well. Yeah it was awesome as hell...back in whatever year it came out. Time to move on.

Edgeward

Lagspike_exe said:
I think that's mostly down to Bugbear. If this was done by a Japanese team, it would have been PS360.

What was the name of that dissolved European dev team that did Terminator and some other awful games? Apparently, they had a Final Fantasy game in development which was PC/PS3/360 as well.

Grin

Alcahest

@sanodg Do you know if Namco Bandai composers (and guests) are composing new Ridge Racer Unbounded game? It looks very different...

@DonKotowski wow I didn't know it!

rap confirmed.

Dan Yo

Banned
gkryhewy said:
You think more of an animu storyline and easy-peasy racing would enable breakout sales? I loved R4 too, but let's not kid ourselves.
Whatever you wanna call R4, it's still light years ahead of any other arcade racer released since.

This just further proves my fear of this industry in the future. Changing games around so they will cater to the....mainstream, short attention span gamers. As someone said, Outrun Demolition-Apocalypse styles will probably be next.

Alcahest said:
@sanodg Do you know if Namco Bandai composers (and guests) are composing new Ridge Racer Unbounded game? It looks very different...

@DonKotowski wow I didn't know it!

rap confirmed.

That's not really surprising. Look at the quote in the OP from the director of RR3DS. He doesn't seem all that fond of this game.

gkryhewy

Dan Yo said:
Whatever you wanna call R4, it's still light years ahead of any other arcade racer released since.

Well, my favorite game ever is RR6, so I disagree, but I'm not gonna dump on R4. Great game.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Rhazer Fusion said:
This just further proves my fear of this industry in the future. Changing games around so they will cater to the....mainstream, short attention span gamers. As someone said, Outrun Demolition-Apocalypse styles will probably be next.

The brilliant thing is right now that some dude at Sega is probably mulling over Full Auto 3 but they'll decide it needs a better IP to sell more.

I can see "Outrun-and-Gun" already. The first trailer will use the phrase "Outrun this, bitch" while some shitty rock band wails over in the background.

I'm guessing no-one in Japan learnt anything from Bomberman Zero.

Epcott

Whaaa @ trailer.

When I saw the logo, I thought for a second it said "Need for Speed: Underground", not Ridge Racer Unbounded.

Sigh, I was hoping they'd finally put car damage into the next RR, and more variety in the tracks, but the ideas they're throwing around makes it sound very Un-Ridge like.

Oh well. I hope they keep the classic drift mechanic and the music, at least.

TxdoHawk

GAF has doomed this game already after a CGI trailer, oh my. I will make absolutely no judgment on this until we get actual gameplay info. We've been assured of almost nothing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
TxdoHawk said:
GAF has doomed this game already after a CGI trailer, oh my. I will make absolutely no judgment on this until we get actual gameplay info. Zip to run on at the moment.

Namco has already said the game is about destruction. Ridge Racer is not about destruction. Maybe it'll be fun in the end, but this is not Ridge Racer.

TxdoHawk

Wario64 said:
Namco has already said the game is about destruction. Ridge Racer is not about destruction. Maybe it'll be fun in the end, but this is not Ridge Racer.

Fair enough, but I just don't see why it's a big deal. A good game is a good game, and based on the 3DS version coming out, I'm sure Namco had plenty more of the same ol' same ol' Ridge Racer in the pipeline too.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ooooooooooooooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....

That teaser was unimpressive. :/

pilonv1

Wario64 said:

Just pretend its Flatout Unbounded and it will be awesome.

btkadams

i actually really enjoyed ridge racer ps3. if they could do a regular sequel to that game with better graphics i'd be pleased.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Opiate said:
That's a very good point, although their acquisition of Atari (Or one of them, Europe I think), is probably more to do with this than anything else.

That said, why didn't Namco Bandai just buy the Flatout IP and call it that instead? After all, this is frankly a Flatout game hilariously tagged as a Ridge Racer, which doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, as I like Flatout, and Bugbear, I'll buy this most probably, but I can see why RR fans are a bit pissed right now.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Flavius said:
Capcom: Uhhhhh...I don't know, man. Don't know WTF I'm going to DO, man!
Random Dude: Well, what are your options?
Capcom: Well, I can trot the same ole, same ole Ridge Racer whore out and make her dance for her dinner one more time. No surprises there...
Random Dude: Or?
Capcom: Or, I can give it to these guys that may actually do something worthwhile with the franchise.
Random Dude: That doesn't sound so bad.
Capcom: Naaaaah, man...you don't understand! It's going to be fucking terrible! They're great developers, but no one really played their games! Especially those freaks that haven't given up on the RR franchise. I mean, it's been years since we've done anything interesting with the property!!! The vocal minority is going to be absolutely deafening!!!
Random Dude: Oh...hmmm...I see your point. Well, let me ask you a question.
Capcom: Go on...
Random Dude: Do you want folks bitching now, and talking about how awesome it is later? Or do you want folks kinda' stoked about it now, and wanting to shove a pitchfork up your ass and the rest of Japanese gaming industry later?
Capcom: The first one...
Random Dude: Give it to Bugbear.

gaf 101:

capcom = konami

you failed the exam bro.

Brera

Banned
Gaffers laughed me when I made that Japanese games industry topic last week.

Keep laughing. Scamco was my most favourite company in the PSX and PS2 days.

What went wrong!

thirty

Banned
gkryhewy said:
Like I said earlier r4 style meets classic ridge gameplay. Or the optimum would be cross balancing all play styles from all the ridge games and throwing them all in tracks expanding from the true ridge city into r4s countrysides. I don't even know why they are bothering with a full release honestly. Ridge would be perfect for psn/live/steam.

Truespeed

One thing I've never liked about Ridge Racer is how the car behaves after touching the barrier. The amount of speed that's scrubbed is just ridiculous - it's like coming to a complete stop. This is why Ridge Racer needs a fresh perspective from another developer - so that they break the cycle of game breaking mechanics that have been inherited from the very first Ridge Racer.

LaneDS

Epcott said:
Whaaa @ trailer.

When I saw the logo, I thought for a second it said "Need for Speed: Underground", not Ridge Racer Unbounded.

Sigh, I was hoping they'd finally put car damage into the next RR, and more variety in the tracks, but the ideas they're throwing around makes it sound very Un-Ridge like.

Oh well. I hope they keep the classic drift mechanic and the music, at least.

That logo absolutely reminded me of NFS:U as well.

And ugh at that teaser.

Truespeed said:
One thing I've never liked about Ridge Racer is how the car behaves after touching the barrier. The amount of speed that's scrubbed is just ridiculous - it's like coming to a complete stop. This is why Ridge Racer needs a fresh perspective from another developer - so that they break the cycle of game breaking mechanics that have been inherited from the very first Ridge Racer.

They're actually fixing that issue in RR3DS.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
They are going to have to get rid of the drift mechanic. It doesnt fit with having to takedown the other cars by bashing into them. With the current RR physics you'd be going into unintentional drifts all the time.

Tellaerin

TxdoHawk said:
Fair enough, but I just don't see why it's a big deal. A good game is a good game, and based on the 3DS version coming out, I'm sure Namco had plenty more of the same ol' same ol' Ridge Racer in the pipeline too.

Good food is good food, too. But when you order your favorite burger and get served a chicken sandwich instead, it's annoying. It doesn't matter whether or not it's a good chicken sandwich - it's still not what you wanted.

That's how I feel about this game. It may turn out to be a great game, but it's still not Ridge Racer. And I want more real RR games from Namco. They've always been a favorite of mine, and Namco's the only company who can produce those. This just feels like another one of these halfassed attempts to appeal to Western audiences - bring in a Western dev to 'reinvent' the franchise (read: crank out an open world racer because they seem to sell better than traditional arcade-style racing games in the West nowadays), then shoehorn in some RR-style car designs (and Reiko Nagase), slap the RR name on it, and call it a day.

Top Bottom