• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded Announced (BugBear, PC/PS3/360) - Drive, Destroy, Dominate

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
gkryhewy said:
Based on the demo, I'm not willing to pay the 9 bucks to find out. I don't think so though, from the reviews I poked around in.
Weird, IGN said that the controls were much improved in the iPad version.

Finaika

Rhazer Fusion said:
Japanese developers selling off their properties to western developers is IMO, is one of the worst things to happen this generation. If this ever happens to Tekken or Soul Calibur, someone is getting hurt.
It won't. Western developers can't make a decent fighter.

GreatSage

Banned
Amir0x said:
Like Solidsnakex says above, I wish they were just honest about it. "They thought Ridge Racer's market viability has diminished and have given us the reins to try to just go wild and save the franchise. It shares little similarity to previous RR games. I hope you understand."

Just out of curiosity, what aspects of Ridge Racer 6/7 would you improve on in a "true" sequel? Something other than different cars/tracks/scenery.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Any impressions of the new RR Type release for PSN? NeGcon/JoGcon support?

GrayFoxPL

Totobeni said:
Pacman: The Yellow Killer, Story driven QTE based game like Heavy Rain.
I got a hard on. Pacman is just made for QTE sex scenes.

Totobeni said:
I seriously now sure what the wrong with Namco, they outsourced Dead to Rights ( Retribution) and changed it and turned it to a Gear clone, it bombed hard, why they think it's a good idea to do this shit to AC and RR too?

Oh man, you touched a string here. I'm an uber DTR1 fan. It's not Retribution they started outsourcing with. DTR2 was being made by the original team, they even showed an awesome demo with gunfights on the roof with chopper. Namco canned it. The same team worked on an awesome DTR spin off with Grant City Anti Terrorist Unit. Namco canned it. I cry to this day on a mere thought of it :(. DTR2 was outsourced and made totally different game. At first I thought it was the worst sequel but after passing half of the game I noticed it does have it's own charm, mostly due to it's crazy difficulty, but it's nothing like DTR1.
Problem with Retribution was not that it was outsourced(Is there any source anymore? Lol.), but that it was heavily changed during development. At first characters and animations looked realistic, later the style changed to wacky cartoon like hybrid with deformed characters and mostly bad animation. I think it was after some test session where ppl said it was too gruesome and brutal. Who did they take for playtesting, grandmas? :p Still not a bad game, I even bought the dlc wich was decent. I would give them another chance for a DTR game.

GreatSageEqualofHeaven said:
There's nothing wrong with the way RR7 looks. And in 3D it looks glorious.
Gave me headache, to be honest. I dont know if it was the framerate (which I read was pretty solid? maybe subconsiously it wasn't?) or just the nostalgia licking and kicking in.

gkryhewy

twinturbo2 said:
Weird, IGN said that the controls were much improved in the iPad version.

They are, in the sense that there's a credible touch screen option. But steering in ridge racer with a pair of digital left-right touch screen buttons is not my idea of fun.

EDIT: actually there is an analog touch steering option. Much better, though I still felt like I was fighting the controls too much.

GreatSage

Banned
RR7 would be have been the perfect experience arcade experience but for the cavernous dead zone registering on my steering wheel. It kills my desire to persevere with it.

GreatSageEqualofHeaven said:
There's nothing wrong with the way RR7 looks. And in 3D it looks glorious.
The environments are almost completely static and lifeless, it's like driving through a still picture most of the time. Never understood why Namco never did anything about that, pretty lazy

gkryhewy

GitarooMan said:
The environments are almost completely static and lifeless, it's like driving through a still picture most of the time. Never understood why Namco never did anything about that, pretty lazy

Planes, helicopters, trains, and the occasional car/truck in the distance are good enough, dammit. And fireworks!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
yurinka said:
Play the PSP ones, you're wrong.
True, as good the R4 was, the PSP RR is the best. Now, R4 has probably the best tracks and soundtrack though. RR2 on PSP alleviated some of that.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
GitarooMan said:

Hello GitarooMan. Can you give me an example of what racing game environments you consider to be NON-static and NON-lifeless?

Vorg

Banned
isamu said:
Hello GitarooMan. Can you give me an example of what racing game environments you consider to be NON-static and NON-lifeless?

Well, I can think of some games with dynamic stuff happening in the tracks as you race, like daytona 2, hydro thunder hurricane or split second. Those are definitely a minority as far as racing games go, though.

isamu

twinturbo2 said:
It's on PSN now?
Um I'm not 100% sure it's already out but I heard it's either out or coming very soon.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have always wanted a Ridge Racer that doesn't sound like Ridge Racer, play like Ridge Racer or even resembles Ridge Racer.

Regarding RRT4 on PSN Store. Yes please. Still my favourite, but the PSP games are superb. I just enjoyed the career mode, and the huge amount of vehicles. Well, and the whole atmosphere was just great. It was great to feel that you belonged to a team, and I wish this kind of thing was done more often.

StarEye said:
I have always wanted a Ridge Racer that doesn't sound like Ridge Racer, play like Ridge Racer or even resembles Ridge Racer.

You missed it by 7 years
256px-Racingbox.jpg

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Been playing a lot of Flatout on 360 lately. Great track layout and fun races. I'm day zero for this.

isamu

I'm glad you guys are excited that RR Type 4 will be coming to PSN. Everyone who's even remotely an RR fan deserves to play this classic.

As a side note, I personally enjoy playing R4 on PC at 1280x720 res. Looks better RR7.....LOL j/k :p

But yeah it also plays very well with my FFB wheel and the analog steering is great. I even have the shifter functions mappe to my H-gated shifter for extra realism :)

The announcer is so-so....doesn't grab me nearly as much as the chick from Rage. God I wish Namco would have brought her back for other installments of the series :(

Can't wait for R4 on PSN, I put hundreds of hours into that thing. Someone should make a topic for that badboy when it drops.

I'm still mad that RR2 PSP didn't have more Rage music in it. I want my Hurricane Hub!

Also, as much as I loved RR2, I missed R4's Grip driving option. In R4, I'd always switch to Grip when I got bored of Drift and vice-versa.

jax (old)

Banned
FUCK.

I read that they were making a new one ages ago and was SUPER EXCITED. Was reading EDGE today on the ipad and I noted that it was done by the makers of FLATOUT and not the NAMCO RR team. The hardcoreness didn't add anything to it for me.

INTEREST OBLITERATED.

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

They're finally being honest

Flatout developers Bugbear Entertainment are taking the Ridge Racer series in a different direction with Ridge Racer Unbounded. A teaser trailer shows Reiko crashing into other cars. "Ridge Racer has traditionally been a game, which appeals to the mass market due to its simple arcade-like feeling. With Ridge Racer Unbounded, it’s more similar to Need for Speed or Burnout instead of the traditional Ridge Racer," said Yamazaki.

"Ridge Racer should be able to try different directions. Even compared to other racing series they have different themes and styles. I believe Ridge Racer can also do this and give players a game with a new direction."

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/04/07/the-link-between-ridge-racer-3d-and-mario-kart/

NinjaBoiX

The open-world enviroment must surely mean they've ditched the classic ridge racer drifting mechanic though. You can't have on-rails powerslides if the game doesn't nesecarily know where you are going to go. Might be interesting to see the handling model that comes out of this. Loved flatout so I have high hopes for the feel of this game, but again, bugbear seem to favour heavier physics with lateral roll and shit, it'll be interesting to see how they approach ridge's stiff on rails style (love ridge too, not hating).

-NinjaBoiX- said:
The open-world enviroment must surely mean they've ditched the classic ridge racer drifting mechanic though. You can't have on-rails powerslides if the game doesn't nesecarily know where you are going to go. Might be interesting to see the handling model that comes out of this. Loved flatout so I have high hopes for the feel of this game, but again, bugbear seem to favour heavier physics with lateral roll and shit, it'll be interesting to see how they approach ridge's stiff on rails style (love ridge too, not hating).
Burnout Paradise managed the powerslides well in an open enviroment, so does NFS Hot Pursuit. Allthough NFS HP has far less junctions and sharp corners.

Top Bottom