• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

GymWolf

Someone has probably already said this, but isn't the 4090 overkill? Who needs 507 fps? And yes, I understand that this is 1440p and that 4K would be lower, but presumably 4K would still be over 200 FPS..
Overwatch runs on a potato, you are not gonna get near close 500 frames with serious games in 4k.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Damn, is that 4090 gunna fit in my Lian Li 011 Evo dynamic?>??
29uCpJH.gif

Let us know.

And let's not even start talking about people who want to play at 4k120 or 144...overkill my ass.
Correct. I'm currently in the market for a new card (sitting on an LG 4K/144Hz monitor) and i simply refuse to buy the "old junk" 3090 Ti since it's already struggeling at 4K in a lot of scenarios. This is for 60fps, let alone more than that.

OZ9000

Banned
I want to play everything at 4k60 with ultra/high settings, and the minimum requirement to do that is a 3090-6900, and you probably still need to tinker with settings on some heavy games like cyberpunk vanilla and next dlc or broken unoptimized stuff like starfield.

If games gets even heavier in the next 1-3 years, then a 3090 is not gonna be enough anymore.

We always act like the newest gpu is overkill for gaming and every fucking gen we eat our words because broken console ports or heavy ass games continue to be released.

Series 4000/7000 is for people who want to be future proof for the next 1-2 years while playing at the highest standards.

And let's not even start talking about people who want to play at 4k120 or 144...overkill my ass.
Native rendering is certainly very expensive but with DLSS you can get away with a lot.

I think DLSS balanced 4K looks excellent with no loss of visual quality.

As long as I can get a card which will last until end of gen with guaranteed 4k60 I'll be happy, especially at these absurd prices.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have a 4090 Rog Strix here with me and it wont fit in my Corsair 5000T. This thing is ludicrous! I cant use it :(

Its honestly mind blowing how big these cards are. The length isnt the issue.....its the girth...You cant close the side panel glass or place your side panel on due to the height/girth and with that connector....No way I'm bending a cable to try.

OZ9000

Banned
I have a 4090 Rog Strix here with me and it wont fit in my Corsair 5000T. This thing is ludicrous! I cant use it :(

Its honestly mind blowing how big these cards are. The length isnt the issue.....its the girth...You cant close the side panel glass or place your side panel on due to the height/girth and with that connector....No way I'm bending a cable to try.
How on earth have you got yourself a hand on the 4090?

OverHeat

« generous god »

Will fit in my case I will buy it from u

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The Corsair 5000T has (up to) 400mm clearance for the GPU. The Strix 4090 is 358mm. How does it not fit?

You guys aren't really taking in what I'm saying. It's not the length of the gpu. It's the width...the girth...the height from the mobo...it sticks out wider than the case is. You can't fit the power adapter in and close the case.

You guys aren't really taking in what I'm saying. It's not the length of the gpu. It's the width...the girth...the height from the mobo...it sticks out wider than the case is. You can't fit the power adapter in and close the case.
I see, thanks for clearing that up. Can you say how much room there needs to be in your estimation for it to be able to close up properly?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No prob, that’s a huge case when it comes to space for the graphics card - 422 mm max length 👍
its the height/width that is the issue not the length, unfortunately.
I see, thanks for clearing that up. Can you say how much room there needs to be in your estimation for it to be able to close up properly?

I'd say you need an extra 3 to 4 cm from the width thats advertised as the adapter that comes with the card is wrapped in electrical tape/shielding and is very firm, I wouldn't dare risk bending it to try and make it squeeze in the case.

I've heard the TUF is not as wide and the same for other options....I may just have to go with an FE, which would be the best cost wise VS the strix anyway...she aint cheap.

GymWolf

Native rendering is certainly very expensive but with DLSS you can get away with a lot.

I think DLSS balanced 4K looks excellent with no loss of visual quality.

As long as I can get a card which will last until end of gen with guaranteed 4k60 I'll be happy, especially at these absurd prices.
The thing is, not every game use dlss.

And i'm not sure if i want to use dlss3 if the tech introduce input lag.

And the card you search, sure as hell is not a 3080 12gb that can't do 4k60 NOW with many games, imagine in 5 years.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'm now debating if I should buy a 4090, my 3090ti is very quiet at 4k@60fps but 4k@120hz it is a jet engine.

I get strobing too if there is a big jump between frames on my oled whereas locked 60fps is perfect.

Allowing a gpu to go full speed when in the same room as you will never be quiet enough.

I think far more 4090 cards will be available to buy after launch so I may wait for reviews even if nvidia contact me to say one is available.

Last edited:

daninthemix

I want to play everything at 4k60 with ultra/high settings, and the minimum requirement to do that is a 3090-6900, and you probably still need to tinker with settings on some heavy games like cyberpunk vanilla and next dlc or broken unoptimized stuff like starfield.

If games gets even heavier in the next 1-3 years, then a 3090 is not gonna be enough anymore.

We always act like the newest gpu is overkill for gaming and every fucking gen we eat our words because broken console ports or heavy ass games continue to be released.

Series 4000/7000 is for people who want to be future proof for the next 1-2 years while playing at the highest standards.

1-2 years??? I'm dropping 2k on a 4090 in the hope that I can stick with it for 5 years or so...

GymWolf

1-2 years??? I'm dropping 2k on a 4090 in the hope that I can stick with it for 5 years or so...
It always depends how do you play games.

4k? 120 fps? Max rtx always enabled?

I can see you playing with settings to achieve those things way before the gen ends, let's be serious here, i think that no gpu in the history of gpus was enough to play at max settings for 5 years straight, it comes to a point where you have to play with settings to get what you want.

That doesn't mean that you can't stick with it for even more than 5 years if you are not one of those ultra settings at all cost nuts.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
The thing is, not every game use dlss.

And i'm not sure if i want to use dlss3 if the tech introduce input lag.

And the card you search, sure as hell is not a 3080 12gb that can't do 4k60 NOW with many games, imagine in 5 years.
If they can run 1440p60 on the consoles I think 4k60 should be easy enough. I agree the 3080 is not enough though. It can't even run Cyberpunk 4k60.

It also depends if you want RT.

I'm simply hoping all future PC titles will feature DLSS/FSR by standard tbh.

GymWolf

If they can run 1440p60 on the consoles I think 4k60 should be easy enough. I agree the 3080 is not enough though. It can't even run Cyberpunk 4k60.

It also depends if you want RT.

I'm simply hoping all future PC titles will feature DLSS/FSR by standard tbh.
You underestimate how low are console settings and how much frames you eat by cranking them up on pc.

Rdr2 console had some settings below low on pc, a game running at 1440p60 or 4kcheckboard30 means nothing if console use low settings.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

On PC Partpicker I found this build in a 5000D and it has a Zotac AMP Extreme Holo 3090ti thats the same width as the Strix at 149mm and there is acres of room. This guy is being way too conservative on bending that cable adapter if he can't get it to fit.

394688.27f5b496e4f21e1d4b363fdf19eba1ac.1600.jpg

hlm666

It's the power plug that is the issue so unless you can move that I dont think you would get a strix in their at all lol!
How thick is it from backplate to face, would there be any room left on a vertical mount or would it be rammed against the case side and have airfow issues?

edit: I think a 3 slot vertical mount would maybe work judging by the end on shot i found below

Last edited:

hlm666

On PC Partpicker I found this build in a 5000D and it has a Zotac AMP Extreme Holo 3090ti thats the same width as the Strix at 149mm and there is acres of room. This guy is being way too conservative on bending that cable adapter if he can't get it to fit.
Its the height from pcie/mobo to the top of the card, that card is barely above the bracket, this card goes on for miles above the mounting bracket.

This is the dimension Dench is talking about guys.
h732

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Its the height from pcie/mobo to the top of the card, that card is barely above the bracket, this card goes on for miles above the mounting bracket.

This is the dimension Dench is talking about guys.
h732
Yes and the Amp Extreme Holo is the same size in that dimension.
Unless the dimensions we are seeing online are wrong, then the Amp Extreme Holo and the Strix 4090 are both ~149mm.
And it also comes with the same adapter.

dimensions.jpg

GHG

Where are the pictures? Show that bad boy off.

Rbk_3

Unless the dimensions we are seeing online are wrong, then the Amp Extreme Holo and the Strix 4090 are both ~149mm.

dimensions.jpg

If these wouldn't fit in a 5000D they're not going to fit in many cases.

lukilladog

The cards were built by the partners expecting a 600W power envelope coming out of the Samsung 8nm process. Switching to TSMC 5nm mid-game while companies like Asus weren't ready to go back to the drawing board for their designs, we are now expecting 450W cards with 600W worth of cooling. They should be very efficient and quiet.

Source?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There are mounting brackets to flip the graphics card fans facing the side. Will the Strix fit that way?
Gbl6ryB.jpg

From Lian Li’s website. What graphics card is this?

I think vertical mount would work but it would literally cover half of your PC lol!

I think i have decided that i'd rather run my rig open with a 4090 until i switch cases than settle for less performance on some other gpu 😂

I can respect that, it's like running with the hood off your car until you get it cut to fit the blower ;)

This is genuinely what I thought when I was holding it up to my case to look at getting it to fit hahaha!

dimensions.jpg

Something doesn't add up...I cant explain to you how much bigger this card it than that.

I dont get it. Ill take some pics. It does fit in my case.

Where are the pictures? Show that bad boy off.

I may post some more but I think its ok as long as it is only unboxed. I wouldnt want to get anyone in trouble :D

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Just a heads up that card in the image you have shown is not the card the user says it is. I have the card here with me and it doesnt match up. it looks like the 3080.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I have a 2080ti right now. I really have wanted a new card for a while but held off on the 3000 series because I usually skip generations before buying a new one. I have never felt the need need to buy "the 90s" so I am looking at the 4080 16gb and the 4080 12gb. I do not want to buy a used 3000 series.

Will the 12gb be gimped compared to the 16? Is it worth the extra money for the 16? I want a 4000 series card because I like DLSS and want DLSS 3.0. I play at 1440p on an 144hz gsync monitor. Current mobo is PCI Express 3.0 and I have a i9-10900k.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Just a heads up that card in the image you have shown is not the card the user says it is. I have the card here with me and it doesnt match up.

Here is a review same card in 5000T case

"Our GamesRadar test PC is built inside of the Corsair 5000T, so thankfully we had more than enough room in the larger-than-average Mid Tower to accommodate the card with its three-slot requirement. If you've got a smaller chassis to work with then you may need to look elsewhere for your next video card as I would personally recommend a larger Mid Tower or a Full Tower for a GPU like this."

I am interested to see your pictures cause I have a 5000D and have the Gigabyte ordered and it is even a little wider.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Here is a review same card in 5000T case

"Our GamesRadar test PC is built inside of the Corsair 5000T, so thankfully we had more than enough room in the larger-than-average Mid Tower to accommodate the card with its three-slot requirement. If you've got a smaller chassis to work with then you may need to look elsewhere for your next video card as I would personally recommend a larger Mid Tower or a Full Tower for a GPU like this."

I am interested to see your pictures cause I have a 5000D and have the Gigabyte ordered and it is even a little wider.

Maybe I'm off then but it's honestly huge. Maybe it would fit fine. I just didn't feel confident from looking at it.

Here's a pic of them side by side.

eUcqczE.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Something doesn't add up...I cant explain to you how much bigger this card it than that.

I dont get it. Ill take some pics of a PC with that card in. It does fit in my case.

These are the official stats from ASUS themselves.
357.6 x 149.3 x 70.1mm

The 5000T can relatively easily fit a 150mm GPU in that space.
Unless the adapter that came with your card is like 0 gauge or something, it shouldnt be a problem fitting the card in a 5000D.

Like it wouldnt even be a tight fit....you would have tons of space.

Top Bottom