• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

2x 3080 performance in raster is still extremely impressive result, add to that 2x RT performance (or DLSSx3) and from technical point of view 4090 is an engineering marvel

lMl5g7g.jpg

Now lets see the $900 "4080" 12 GB vs $700 3080 benchmarks... thoughout the grand gpu history it was normal to see the replacement cards offer ~50% perf boost over previous gen for the same or only very slightly higher price.

//DEVIL//

2x 3080 performance in raster is still extremely impressive result, add to that 2x RT performance (or DLSSx3) and from technical point of view 4090 is an engineering marvel

lMl5g7g.jpg
l think This is misleading. this implies the 4090 in terms of gaming benchmark, you will get double the frames. which it won't. otherwise, Nvidia would have shouted it from the top of the roof.

I would gladly be wrong. as I am interested in the 4090.

Last edited:

hinch7

Despite great performance jumps in the halo SKU (4090). $1600+ for graphics cards will always be a rip off. The GPU's under it aren't even worth a mention, which goes to show how awful these Ada is thus far for value/performance. Which is Nvidia's plan to try entice people to buy unsold Ampere.

Look at how much Nvidia are/were selling the 3090's the last couple of months; a lot under 1K. They are raking in huge margins on them.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

l think This is misleading. this implies the 4090 in terms of gaming benchmark, you will get double the frames. which it won't. otherwise, Nvidia would have shouted it from the top of the roof.

You mean you've never heard of the game sweeping the nation: CUDA? smh.

Fredrik

lMl5g7g.jpg
I want it. But what if AMD show something even better or close enough three weeks later ? And for a lower price? decisions hmm

yamaci17

I want it. But what if AMD show something even better or close enough three weeks later ? And for a lower price? decisions hmm
if amd wants competition
- they need to push %25 more rt performance of the 12 gb 4080 at 700-800 bucks
- they need to push %40-50 more rasterized gaming performance over 12 gb 4080 at 700 buckz

that'd practically give amd a chance to compete

then they can market it as "we have actual frames, across all games ever existed, not gimmick dlss3 driven fake frames"

otherwise, if they release a pos card at 700 buckz that natively matches 4080 12 gb, it is dead product. no one in their right mind would buy an equivalent amd product when it does not have dlss 3. same happened with dlss 2. most people were swayed to 3060ti/3070/3060 instead of 6700xt/6600xt because of DLSS 2 (even I'm personally on 3070 bcoz of dlss 2. and no, fsr 2 was not enough to convince me to get an amd card. it still lacks a lot).

so yeah. problematic stuff. but fsr 2 is widely regarded as okay. so now it comes down to dlss 3 versus no dlss 3. if dlss 3 ends up as a win overall, it will be tough for amd regardless. they cant brute force through their way in cpu bottlenecked benchmarks (1440p high refresh ray tracing in spiderman or flight simulator, simply)

Last edited:

Fredrik

no one in their right mind would buy an equivalent amd product when it does not have dlss 3.
DLSS3 comes with downsides being more like fancy frame interpolation and AMD will have their own tech that could be competitive. 4090 performance is great but I still don’t feel like Nvidia has a clear advantage this time.

yamaci17

DLSS3 comes with downsides being more like fancy frame interpolation and AMD will have their own tech that could be competitive. 4090 performance is great but I still don’t feel like Nvidia has a clear advantage this time.
yeah but I doubt whether amd can do that this time with no specific dedicated hardware. seems like this is a much harder stuff than dlss 2 itself. so... they really have to bank on native raster power this time around.

we always knew tsr, temporal injection and similar stuff was possible on compute cores before dlss 2 was a thing, so fsr 2 was not that big of a surprise and it was only a matter of "when". in the case of interpolation, it really needs very high quality software and hardware to accompany it. i mean they can do it, but maybe it will end up looking like how it looks on TVs (super artifacty, weird and floaty).

I know dlss3 has downsides, but from the nv's track record, they have amazing innovations and they usually deliver. im not going to nitpick on slowed down videos until I see the tech myself. only problematic stuff seems to be input lag. you will be getting 120 fps fluidity with 60 fps input lag. that will be a weird. I already know how that feels, you can practically have 30 fps-like input lag at 60 fps if you push super heavy GPU load and make engine create extra buffers. i tried that and. it wasn't that cool. i also tried pushing %99 gpu at 120 fps so get unusual input lag, and it also felt a bit weird but more acceptable.

Fredrik

only problematic stuff seems to be input lag. you will be getting 120 fps fluidity with 60 fps input lag. that will be a weird.
I’m so used to consoles and slow TVs so that’s no issue for me tbh, smooth motion is more important.

Anyway I’ve actually never had a graphics card by AMD (unless you count ATI) but I’m still interested in seeing how FSR 3 compares to DLSS 3 and if AMD use hardware this time, who knows maybe they use some new tech if you pair their GPUs and CPUs. I’m not ready to write off AMD yet.

OZ9000

Banned
I went with the regular 5800x for $250, a $70 B series mobo, a $60 cube mATX case, $100 M2 Nvme, $60 DDR 4 16Gb, a $25 CPU fan. Just waiting for a 6800xt or 3080 to hit the $200-$300 mark. Already had a bronze 1000W power supply from my old rig which cost $80 or so back in the day. With this I'll be good for 5 years at least.
You should check out the PSU tier list here

EDMIX

Preorder up for the Gaming OC. Called to confirm, the stores already have them in stock ready for launch day.

You let us know if that shit is really 60% faster then the 3090 or there will be hell to pay lol

I'm going to wait and see how AMD responds and likely do a build next year. With how this shit is going, might have to just get a 4090 used lol

GloveSlap

At these prices i'm just going to skip this gen of cards. I just picked up a b-stock 3070 ftw3 on evga.com for around $425 to hold me over till then. At least this way i won't need to upgrade my CPU and power supply for a while.

Who likes it big? 12 inches might not get it done.

4090 FE is tiny compared to the AIB ones.

GHG

Gold Member
We finally have some indication of benchmarks courtesy of Overwatch 2:

• The 4080 12GB is 18.87% faster than the 3080 on this game. (MSRP is 28.5% more expensive)
  • The 4080 16GB is 47.79% faster than the 3080 on this game. (MSRP is 71.4% more expensive)
  • The 4090 is 103.61% faster than the 3080 (damn that's a lot) on this game. (MSRP is 128.5% more expensive)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This card snoot fit in my case. Unfortunately I'll have to wait on this not that I feel that I'm missing out from a 3090.

OverHeat

« generous god »

• The 4080 12GB is 18.87% faster than the 3080 on this game. (MSRP is 28.5% more expensive)
  • The 4080 16GB is 47.79% faster than the 3080 on this game. (MSRP is 71.4% more expensive)
  • The 4090 is 103.61% faster than the 3080 (damn that's a lot) on this game. (MSRP is 128.5% more expensive)

That’s it! Will buy a 4090 for sure

GHG

Gold Member
The 4080 16GB is actually the card that's looking like it might find itself in a strange spot from a price/performance perspective.

Fredrik

The 4080 16GB is actually the card that's looking like it might find itself in a strange spot from a price/performance perspective.
I’m considering the smallest 4080 or simply skipping it all because I think prices are absolutely absurd. Even with the ”lowend” card I would still end up over $4k total for a complete setup this time where I’m at. It’s getting ridiculous tbh, or maybe it has been that for awhile already. To me it seems like Nvidia replaced the Titan cards with 3090 and now 4090 and tricked regular gamers to think they’re sane purchases, the prices are roughly the same, insane, and then they’ve bumped up the prices for the ”normal” highend cards. There are no budget cards this time.

Last edited:
I’m considering the smallest 4080 or simply skipping it all because I think prices are absolutely absurd. There are no budget cards this time.
They will follow. But we'll probably first start hearing about them when all 30 series cards have been sold off. You can tell by the kind of infos we get from all the bullshit fake "leaks".

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

4080 12GB is a joke.

geforce-rtx-nvidia-reflex-overwatch2-performance-fps-system-latency.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
4080 12GB is a joke.

Depends on where you're coming from in terms of an upgrade. If you have a 3080 already then I can see why you'd say that but considering 3080's are 950 USD where I live, 3080 ti's are 1000 and 3090's are at least 1100 USD then if I can get a 4080 12GB for anywhere near RRP it will represent a good deal for me.

Senua

Depends on where you're coming from in terms of an upgrade. If you have a 3080 already then I can see why you'd say that but considering 3080's are 950 USD where I live, 3080 ti's are 1000 and 3090's are at least 1100 USD then if I can get a 4080 12GB for anywhere near RRP it will represent a good deal for me.
I'd say better deal rather than good, it should be a bloody $500-600 card at the end of the day

JackSparr0w

Banned
if amd wants competition
- they need to push %25 more rt performance of the 12 gb 4080 at 700-800 bucks
- they need to push %40-50 more rasterized gaming performance over 12 gb 4080 at 700 buckz

that'd practically give amd a chance to compete

then they can market it as "we have actual frames, across all games ever existed, not gimmick dlss3 driven fake frames"

otherwise, if they release a pos card at 700 buckz that natively matches 4080 12 gb, it is dead product. no one in their right mind would buy an equivalent amd product when it does not have dlss 3. same happened with dlss 2. most people were swayed to 3060ti/3070/3060 instead of 6700xt/6600xt because of DLSS 2 (even I'm personally on 3070 bcoz of dlss 2. and no, fsr 2 was not enough to convince me to get an amd card. it still lacks a lot).

so yeah. problematic stuff. but fsr 2 is widely regarded as okay. so now it comes down to dlss 3 versus no dlss 3. if dlss 3 ends up as a win overall, it will be tough for amd regardless. they cant brute force through their way in cpu bottlenecked benchmarks (1440p high refresh ray tracing in spiderman or flight simulator, simply)
So essentially you want an 4090 equivalent AMD card for $700 bucks just to consider buying it?

The shit Nvidiots come up with man. Just admit you're a fanboy and be done with it.

GreatnessRD

I love when I come to PC threads and see that money isn't a thang for a ton of folks. I remember as if it was yesterday when I purchased the 6800XT off AMD's website. I was thinking... "Do I really wanna spend $650+tax on a graphics card". The joys of seeing the real enthusiast, lol.

I also couldn't buy Nvidia or AMD until I saw what both had to offer. That seems counterproductive to me. With that said, the 4090 does look like it'll be a fun time for a long time. Hope the 7900XT will provide the same enthusiasm.

GHG

Gold Member
I'd say better deal rather than good, it should be a bloody $500-600 card at the end of the day

True but we don't live in that world anymore.

I just want double the performance of my 2070 super for under $1000. Don't care about anything else at this stage, I have stuff I want to play in VR in good quality.

Fredrik

I love when I come to PC threads and see that money isn't a thang for a ton of folks. I remember as if it was yesterday when I purchased the 6800XT off AMD's website. I was thinking... "Do I really wanna spend $650+tax on a graphics card". The joys of seeing the real enthusiast, lol.

I also couldn't buy Nvidia or AMD until I saw what both had to offer. That seems counterproductive to me. With that said, the 4090 does look like it'll be a fun time for a long time. Hope the 7900XT will provide the same enthusiasm.
For me it all depends on how important I think it is for my interest in the hobby. Right now I don’t know what to do. I could lower some settings and climb up over 60fps, for maybe a year or two. And maybe buy a new Les Paul for the Nvidia money instead, or invest in stocks in some kind of fruit company. Or I could pay $2k to play at the highest settings and climb up near 100fps, for maybe a year or two.

MikeM

Money isn’t an issue for me but its all about not supporting these absurd prices. Value seems to go further out the door on the PC side which is why i’m eyeing the 3080 instead.

I think what also helps is that the consoles are more than keeping me happy. Less incentive to jump into PC this instant.

Fredrik

Money isn’t an issue for me but its all about not supporting these absurd prices. Value seems to go further out the door on the PC side which is why i’m eyeing the 3080 instead.

I think what also helps is that the consoles are more than keeping me happy. Less incentive to jump into PC this instant.
Voting with your wallet?
I used to do that too in the past. For payed online and 30fps.
Never changed a thing, I just got more cranky tbh and missed out on lots of stuff. But it did save me some money.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Looks like it does provide near double the fps.

twilo99

Sigh. Too much money for too little upgrade. Feels like I should just sit on the fence this time, maybe wait on the Ti cards 😕

Little? that's a huge upgrade, I just don't know how much of it will transfer to getting more kills or enjoying the game more.. also, we don't have 500+hz monitors so you won't even be able to match that monster.

Reallink

If AMD had something better or close enough to a 4090, they wouldn't be letting Nvidia sell them for 3 weeks before they even announce anything. At the very least they'd be doing played out social media marketing like teasing shadowy images of the halo card with quotes about patience being a virtue or something. Or "leaking" benchmarks.

Last edited:

nikos

Coming from a 3080 Ti, it looks like the 4090 is worth the extra money over a 4080 16GB. I'll still cap FPS in most games right below my refresh rate though.

Top Bottom