• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia roadmap shows GeForce RTX 5000 cards set for 2025

winjer

Gold Member

We've seen a few rumors recently claiming that Nvidia's successor to the RTX 4000 series, expected to be called the RTX 5000, will arrive next year. But it seems that the next-gen cards aren't going to be with us until 2025, according to team green's latest roadmap.

Nvidia has previously released a new generation of graphics cards every two years or so. With Ada Lovelace having arrived in October 2022, the RTX 5000 successor was expected next year, but it seems Nvidia is increasing the cadence to 3 years.

E-Cat

Yeah they don't give that much fuck about PC gamers right now.
Correct. AI is eating the world. And even with that renewed focus, big AI companies are still GPU-starved. That is why companies, e.g., Tesla, are making their own ASICS now. In a little over a year, Tesla expects to have 100 exaflops of compute from Dojo + legacy NVIDIA GPUs.

BbUFprD.jpg

Last edited:
Since Moore's law is slowing down, this is to be expected. Not only the time for new process nodes has increased, but prices for newer process nodes has increased drastically.
Seriously wtf are we going to do in a few years. These cards are on 5nm. I know there are some 3nm products coming out this year/next. What do we do when we're at 1nm? Can we go any smaller or will we hit a brick wall? Quantum computers don't seem to be anywhere near mass production for consumer electronics.

I think we'll just stick acceleration chips on. We already have AI cores on GPUs so they will improve. DLSS has been impressive and came a longway. It'll be interesting to see what else we can do with AI. Maybe we'll get Quantum cores or some shit.

Tsaki

That's over the usual 2 years between generations. Seems they want to have it on 3nm and will be waiting for the yields to be become sustainable on it.

winjer

Gold Member
Seriously wtf are we going to do in a few years. These cards are on 5nm. I know there are some 3nm products coming out this year/next. What do we do when we're at 1nm? Can we go any smaller or will we hit a brick wall? Quantum computers don't seem to be anywhere near mass production for consumer electronics.

I think we'll just stick acceleration chips on. We already have AI cores on GPUs so they will improve. DLSS has been impressive and came a longway. It'll be interesting to see what else we can do with AI. Maybe we'll get Quantum cores or some shit.

These numbers don't have any relation to transistor sizes in any form. They are more of a marketing number.
The CEO of ASML said a few months ago, that there is the possibility that the cost of newer process nodes will become unfeasible, sooner than what the technological limits of lithography.
So the cost of new process nodes will soon become too expensive for consumer chips. Companies can justify more expensive chips, up to some point, but they will also have limits.
When Moore talked about his prediction for transistors, he was talking about both size and cost per transistor being reduced by half, every 18 months.
It also doesn't help that TSMC has no competition, so they are overcharging their customers by around 30%. Maybe more. And their costumers, then pass that cost to the consumer, meaning, us.

Last edited:

Loxus

These numbers don't have any relation to transistor sizes in any form. They are more of a marketing number.
The CEO of ASML said a few months ago, that there is the possibility that the cost of newer process nodes will become unfeasible, sooner than what the technological limits of lithography.
So the cost of new process nodes will soon become too expensive for consumer chips. Companies can justify more expensive chips, up to some point, but they will also have limits.
When Moore talked about his prediction for transistors, he was talking about both size and cost per transistor being reduced by half, every 18 months.
It also doesn't help that TSMC has no competition, so they are overcharging their customers by around 30%. Maybe more. And their costumers, then pass that cost to the consumer, meaning, us.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
3080 looking good until 2025 at 1440p. Fine to wait helps my wallet.

Exact same situation, although il see if I can stretch it to 2026 if they release some new 4000 series cards in 2024 with slightly better specs again like they did with the 3000.

Got an early 3080 for the RRP but then they released the 3080 12GB which would have been nice to get instead.

ReBurn

Gold Member
successor to the 1000 is the 2000
2000 is the 3000
3000 is the 4000

"We've seen a few rumors recently claiming that Nvidia's successor to the RTX 4000 series, expected to be called the RTX 5000"

That part of the rumor seems sound
I heard the successor to the 5000 will be the 6000, but it's too early to know if it's true.

I think we'll be alright man. Just.

It's a struggle.
Genuinely curious, has the 4090 been struggle to run titles at a reasonable frame rate and resolution?

I plan on building my first PC this year with a 4090, go hard or go home is my approach.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Perfect. By then we should know whether pro consoles are going to be a thing or not, and if not I'll probably build a gaming PC at that point.

hlm666

Too busy using all the wafers and fab allocation they bought and couldn't sell to gamers for h100s instead. They need to change their moto from the way its ment to be played to failing upwards is an artform.

kiphalfton

Generations are getting longer, prices are getting higher, and increase between generations is getting smaller.

Guess those people who bought the RTX 4090 shouldn't feel too bad about their purchase decision. As everything else had been a disappointment this gen.

However, I have no doubt Nvidia will fill fuck over anybody who bought a RTX 4060 > RTX 4080, and release cards that have more VRAM; they're gonna try and get people to double dip on this generation.

Last edited:
This is part of why I decide to splurge on a 4090. The writing's on the wall for GPU manufacturing process tech to slow down significantly, at least when it comes to price/performance. 4090 should remain a top of the line card for a long time. If Nvidia doubles down on AI on their future chips, standard gaming performance might take a further backseat.

Top Bottom