• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

thuGG_pl

I'm sat here with a 4090 in its box, delivered a couple of hours ago. Have my previous build which is good to go bar my PSU, it's an RM750x. Got a RM1000x coming tomorrow.

I'm itching to just throw the sucker in regardless. Only one more sleep, I'll be patient.
Maybe throw it in with 60% power limit?

I'm sat here with a 4090 in its box, delivered a couple of hours ago. Have my previous build which is good to go bar my PSU, it's an RM750x. Got a RM1000x coming tomorrow.

I'm itching to just throw the sucker in regardless. Only one more sleep, I'll be patient.
when i got my 4080 i was in the same situation. my GPU came before my new PSU. my old PSU was 750W too. looking back now i'd probably have been fine playing games on it but i was scared to lol. i did actually install it into my PC but i didn't play any games and set the power limit in MSI Afterburner to about 80%.

stick it in and power limit it or do an undervolt. you'd probably be fine to do a 0.05V undervolt to start off with. my 4080 is stable with a 0.1V undervolt. tried a 0.125V undervolt but it was crashing in some tests. stock it was doing 1.075V and i got it down to 0.975V. i don't know what a 4090 runs at but whatever it is just do a 0.05V undervolt and you'll likely be fine. you can run some stress tests if you want to go further. i done a mix of port royal, time spy, firestrike, heaven, and superposition. port royal for me was the one to first show instability so try focus on that if you do it.

i'm getting basically same performance and slightly higher scores compared to stock settings but with a reduction of ~4C and on average my 4080 is using less power than my 2080 in the same tests.

i know a 4090 uses more power than a 4080 but you will probably be fine to run it on a 750W psu if you set a power limit or undervolt.

Last edited:
I wish someone would make it work with RTX 2000/3000 series. Or Nvidia wouldn't have make it work with 4000 series.
it could probably work in those cards but wouldn't give the same results. i think DLSS 3.0 on 4000 cards is meant to double frame rate. so even if those cards can only get 25-50% more frames it's still worth having. i think eventually Nvidia will release an update for those cards to enable 3.0 just like how they eventually enabled raytracing for no RTX cards.

Last edited:

amigastar

it could probably work in those cards but wouldn't give the same results. i think DLSS 3.0 on 4000 cards is meant to double frame rate. so even if those cards can only get 25-50% more frames it's still worth having. i think eventually Nvidia will release an update for those cards to enable 3.0 just like how they eventually enabled raytracing for no RTX cards.
I didn't know that Nvidia enabled raytracing for non RTX cards. If it makes sense that's an other question. But DLSS 3.0 on non 4000 series cards would be awesome as you say even if it would be 20% more frames.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Heres to hoping they announce a 4080'20G and or a price cut for the 4080.

GTC-2023-keynote-details-768x245.png

The RTX 4070 is certainly going to be annoounced.
Its supposed to launch by the end of April so i imagine they announce it in march with a founder edition.

ftornBh.png

But i really need the gap between the 4080'16G and the 4090 to be closed by something, either that or put a damn price cut on the 4080 so its value gets closer to the the 3080.

x5nFwRR.png

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I hope one day Intel will be able to compete with nvidia so they don't have monopoly on the market..

Because this shot is ridiculous.

This guy is saying that the 192-bit wide memory bus is causing the RTX4070ti 12GB to stutter at 4K compared to an RTX3090 24GB 384bit, and although I saw few YTtubers who also complained about stutters on 4070ti at 4K I thought it was simply VRAM limitation (something that can be easily adressed with lower settings). Guys, do you think lower memory bus can indeed cause stuttering issues? I was planning to buy an RTX4070ti, but if memory bus can make such big difference than I'm willing to buy more expensive RTX4080.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
This guy is saying that the 192-bit wide memory bus is causing the RTX4070ti 12GB to stutter at 4K compared to an RTX3090 24GB 384bit, and although I saw few YTtubers who also complained about stutters on 4070ti at 4K I thought it was simply VRAM limitation (something that can be easily adressed with lower settings). Guys, do you think lower memory bus can indeed cause stuttering issues? I was planning to buy an RTX4070ti, but if memory bus can make such big difference than I'm willing to buy more expensive RTX4080.

Yes...and you shouldn't be buying a 4070Ti for 4K.

Its a card meant for 120Hz, 1440p.

Nvidia isn't going to give you a 4K capable card for less than $1000 anymore. the 16GB VRAM & 256bit bus on the 4080 are specifically meant for 4K at up to 60fpswith the 4090 there for people who want to try for 4K upto 120fps.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

They won't. It's the key selling point for them on the 4000 series. otherwise, people would buy a cheap 3090 as a better alternative than the 12gig to the 4070ti.

the only reason Nvidia let the none rtx video cards have ray tracing is that they know it won't get past the 10 frames. and will show people that their card is old and they need a new one. it was a motive to force people to buy a newer card. this isn't the same thing as you are basically telling customers not to buy a 4000 you can have the dlss on 3000 cards.

dave_d

Wait, it would be the memory bandwidth that would be the problem. Just looking it up the the 3090 is 936GB/s vs the 4070ti 504GB/s.(IE it matters how wide the memory bus is but also how fast it runs.) Then again I take everything he says with a huge grain of salt. (Since he's been saying gamers won and that the 4070ti isn't selling and other nonsense.)

Last edited:
Yes...and you shouldn't be buying a 4070Ti for 4K.

Its a card meant for 120Hz, 1440p.

Nvidia isn't going to give you a 4K capable card for less than $1000 anymore. the 20GB VRAM & 256bit bus on the 4080 are specifically meant for 4K at up to 60fpswith the 4090 there for people who want to try for 4K upto 120fps.
I'm using 1440p 170Hz monitor, but I also have 4K TV, so it would be nice to play some less demanding games at 4K from time to time as well. According to benchmarks 4070ti has very good performance at 4K, but I wasnt aware something like memory bus can cause stuttering, and that's a dealbreaker for me.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I was just playing some Hell Let Loose with a friend who just got his 7700X 4070ti prebuilt and he hasn't mentioned stutters on his 4k 144hz monitor but he may be dialing back some settings as well.

He also upgraded from a GTX 1070 rig so he is likely in heaven anyhow with that jump so probably doesnt mind turning down some settings

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I'm using 1440p 170Hz monitor, but I also have 4K TV, so it would be nice to play some less demanding games at 4K from time to time as well. According to benchmarks 4070ti has very good performance at 4K, but I wasnt aware something like memory bus can cause stuttering, and that's a dealbreaker for me.

The measley 12GB of VRAM will be its biggest handicap for 4K going forwards. The 4070Ti can of course play at 4K, its just you're going to hits its limits far sooner in new releases over the next 2yrs, because of the 192bit bus & 12GB VRAM.

Wait, it would be the memory bandwidth that would be the problem. Just looking it up the the 3090 is 936GB/s vs the 4070ti 504GB/s.(IE it matters how wide the memory bus is but also how fast it runs.) Then again I take everything he says with a huge grain of salt. (Since he's been saying gamers won and that the 4070ti isn't selling and other nonsense.)
Holy cow I wasnt aware an RTX3090 has so much higher memory bandwidth. I believed Nv marketing and though 4070ti is comparable to RTX3090 besides VRAM amount, but now I know that's not really the case. So RTX4080 makes more sense for me, but I also might buy something like 7900XTX, because it has 384-bit bus, and in my country even 7900XTX is a A LOT cheaper than RTX4080.

dave_d

I was just playing some Hell Let Loose with a friend who just got his 7700X 4070ti prebuilt and he hasn't mentioned stutters on his 4k 144hz monitor but he may be dialing back some settings as well.

He also upgraded from a GTX 1070 rig so he is likely in heaven anyhow with that jump so probably doesnt mind turning down some settings
And there's a perfect example. The memory bus on the 1070 is 256 bits vs the 4070ti 192bits but the bandwidth are 256 GB/S and 504GB/S respectively.(The bus on the 1070 is bigger but the memory and bus run faster on the 4070ti so the memory performance on the 4070 ti is better than the 1070.)

Kenpachii

Nvidia has always played the v-ram game, nothing new to see there. Also everybody knew what they bought into with the low amounts of v-ram.

Honestly dude sound new to Nvidia, this is straight up shit they already do for decades.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And there's a perfect example. The memory bus on the 1070 is 256 bits vs the 4070ti 192bits but the bandwidth are 256 GB/S and 504GB/S respectively.(The bus on the 1070 is bigger but the memory and bus run faster on the 4070ti so the memory performance on the 4070 ti is better than the 1070.)
Just a follow up I texted and asked him if he was seeing stutters and he said only if he tries maxing out settings like the discussion says

Said he just tweaks a few settings on games and it runs great at 4k and with what he came from he is beyond thrilled with the 4070ti performance

I guess its all relative to what you are used to

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Consumer GPU's aren't normally mentioned at this event.

Jensen only wants to focus on Nvidia's biggest cash cow, which isn't rip off PC Graphics cards.
Other than Kepler, Pascal and Ada which were all announced at GTC.
Hell the 4090 and 4080s were announced at GTC not even that long ago.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Just picked up a RTX 4090, great card. Horrible price. The only downside is coil whine. It's an absolute beast though.
Is coil whine high-pitched? Curious if it'd even be within my hearing range. I can't hear those butterfly notifications on phones or USB lighter whine

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I think I'm in the same boat - I have a Gigabyte OC 4090 and can't hear shit - maybe I am that deaf - what should I be hearing?

Mind you when people post vids I put the volume up to 100% and still can't hear shit.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I think I'm in the same boat - I have a Gigabyte OC 4090 and can't hear shit - maybe I am that deaf - what should I be hearing?

Mind you when people post vids I put the volume up to 100% and still can't hear shit.
Not all 4090 have coil whine, it's just lottery, it does not mean you are deaf.
My old 3090 FE had a bit of coil whine, only when FPS were way high, my 4090 FE does not at all.

Calverz

Thinking of getting the 4090. Currently I have a ryzen 5800X3D and a platinum 850watt psu. Would I need a higher PSU? PC part picker says my build would be just over 700w?

Mithos

I think it is rather high pitch. I had a really bad coil whine on my old 980Ti. Higher the fps (taxing gpu) the more pronounced it becomes. Below is a example of a 4090 coil whine

Have this exact thing on my 2060 Super when any game run high fps. so I lock anything to 60fps to minimize/not heve it. Was super loud when a game went 120+fps in games.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still can’t find any 4090 FE for sale.

Draugoth

Gold Member
There are some people that absolutely have to have the best. Overheat being one of them.

PC components are relatively cheap compared to other hobbies too. Plus since new stuff is always coming out, it keeps it exciting.

Materalism isn't about what you have, it's about what you're going to get next.

I can uderstand if you are rich.

But you could literally use that money to upgrade your CPU Mobu Generation which would give you far more Peformance.

Ulysses 31

Welp, order me a Matrix 4090 go to with my mostly Asus branded PC.

Can always return for a full refund within 30 days if I get any buyers remorse. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Top Bottom