• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Which ATX12V 3.0 PSU are you getting?

I've settled for this one:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm going for TUF to replace my 3080 TUF.
Yeah the tuf 3080 was a beast. Hoping the same on the 4090.
My concern is not being able to get the side panel on because the power connector sticks out too far.
This is my concern. The adapter has a very firm wrap of electrical shielding tape and I wouldn't want to bend it at all.

Corsair are going to have cables than run straight from the psu to the gpu which I'm going to get.

I have an RM1000x and I want to avoid upgrading for these cards...I cant actually believe that 1000 watt psus are bordering on the safest option....I should have gone with a HX1200i platinum but I have been told the RM1000x will be enough...even though it can't deliver the full 600 Watts to the gpu. It maxes out at 450.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

This is my concern. The adapter has a very firm wrap of electrical shielding tape and I wouldn't want to bend it at all.

Corsair are going to have cables than run straight from the psu to the gpu which I'm going to get.

I have an RM1000x and I want to avoid upgrading for these cards...I cant actually believe that 1000 watt psus are bordering on the safest option....I should have gone with a HX1200i platinum but I have been told the RM1000x will be enough...even though it can't deliver the full 600 Watts to the gpu. It maxes out at 450.
I can’t understand why they ditched the 3090 FE design with the power connector at a 45 degree angle. That made it pretty easy to route the cables a few different ways without a tight bend radius.

Buggy Loop

https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...ly-comes-from-and-why-the-cards-are-so-giant/

Super strange story from Igor.

So they planned the cooler by extrapolating from their experience with Samsung to 600W, without knowing TSMC's yield and efficiency of the new node and they were then pleasantly surprised?

If true, then these cards while looking chunky will either have very cool temperatures or a lot of headroom in overclocking.

He also thinks that the 4080 16GB & 4080 12GB strategy is to sandwhich AMD's 7900XT top range. hmm

Last edited:

hlm666

If true, then these cards while looking chunky will either have very cool temperatures or a lot of headroom in overclocking.
If that story is true the cards will still be power locked anyway like the current and previous gen ones. I know maxwell had some bios flashing options but I think it got even harder after that right? It's nvidia, they are not going to let you just grab the power slider in afterburner pull it to 150% and have a 600w 4090ti for a 4090 price ;)

Rbk_3

If that story is true the cards will still be power locked anyway like the current and previous gen ones. I know maxwell had some bios flashing options but I think it got even harder after that right? It's nvidia, they are not going to let you just grab the power slider in afterburner pull it to 150% and have a 600w 4090ti for a 4090 price ;)

There are absolutely going to be 600W bios options.

I had the same PSU. Grabbed myself an EVGA 1600 P2 for $200 so I wouldn't have to worry about it. I ordered the Cablemod 16 pin cable so I don't have to use the adapter.

Last edited:
Yeah she's a big ol girl!

AJTFCQB.jpg
You keep posting this to brag instead of giving us interesting info like benchmarks.

We know you have one, enjoy the internet fame.

Last edited:

twilo99

https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-g...ly-comes-from-and-why-the-cards-are-so-giant/

So they planned the cooler by extrapolating from their experience with Samsung to 600W, without knowing TSMC's yield and efficiency of the new node and they were then pleasantly surprised?

He also thinks that the 4080 16GB & 4080 12GB strategy is to sandwhich AMD's 7900XT top range. hmm

They accidentally overengineered it!!! Brilliant. Thank you Samsung for the inferior nodes…

If 7900xt can only match the 4080 16gb then they will have to match the price as well otherwise who would buy it?

Last edited:

GHG

Also correlates with what EVGA have said regarding designing cards for Nvidia somewhat blind without all the necessary information.

We all know it's always better to go overkill with cooling. There's also this:

Last edited:

GHG

I'm not, just annoyed. Trying to stealth brag with pictures posting stuff we already know' "its big!!".

Just post benchmarks then.

This is a fair point. Unless you're under NDA (in which case you should state you work for the games media or a publisher/developer) then I don't understand the secrecy. You won't get in trouble.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I’m pretty sure for Asus OC versus non OC versions they pick the better binned chips. Strix version picks an even better tier.

I find overclocking completely useless, I actually undervolt. But that’s the story behind OC cards at least..
They do not advertise any binning. If they were binning they would add a bullet point to their marketing BS. The Strix might be, but it is probably something more along the lines of center of wafer vs middle vs edge or something keyed off of some inline test and not any manual testing. So statistically more likely to be above average, but not validated beyond what qualifies as the good vs bad check. That people believe they are getting binned when not stated is why this pricing strategy is so fucking bullshit. It relies on people to assume something was done to add 200 fucking bucks to the price when there was not. It is just a gimmick used to justify the price.

If they really binned the OC ones for the 3000 series, why are the non OC ones so rare? Because it is fucking bullshit. Most of ASUS's products are half bullshit that people get swindled into wasting a lot of money on.

Rbk_3

This is a fair point. Unless you're under NDA (in which case you should state you work for the games media or a publisher/developer) then I don't understand the secrecy. You won't get in trouble.

If he's just a dude that was able to get one early he won't have a driver to bench it I don't believe.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Hawk269

Anyone know if there will be Water Blocks available at launch or near launch? If/when I get a 4090 I want to put that bad boy under water immediately and just curious if there will be blocks available?

//DEVIL//

Here is a question I want to ask people that actually know what I am talking about:

I was able to a back order a 4090 here msi trio x ( which is a card I actually want because it fits my case and the trio x was awesome in the 3000 series, didn’t have as loud coil whine as the stupid asus cards do ) this is following the same design and they even mentioned they improved that in the 4000 website.

My question is I have sfx 750 platinum .

I am not running any ssd or anything aside from my
Z690i asus rog board
240 aio Lian li
2 1tb nvme
I5 2600k
32gb ddr6 5600 cl 36
11 Lian li rgb fans connected to 2 nods
When I get the trio x, assuming I don’t under volt it, I believe the card is 450 to 500 max ? ( from the unboxing video I have seen, the converter dongle is 1 to 3 8 pins not 4. Assuming it’s drawing the max power of each cable of 150w, the card max running at 450 ( something I am not understanding as I thought the 4090 base is 450 and those pcie 8 cables max tolerance is 150 each)

Does that mean :
- 750 watts psu in this case if it’s platinum or gold is enough ? I don’t see my cpu and of i5 with everything else sucking more than 250w . Especially if I under volt the card
- with the gpu connector to pcie is only 3x 8 pins and not 4, does that mean the max power of that card is actually 450w ?

Just don’t want to buy a reference card and Trio x was never a reference card for msi ( it was Ventus or whatever it’s called ). The website it self saying core clock is TDB which is annoying

Last edited:

lukilladog

Here is a question I want to ask people that actually know what I am talking about:

I was able to a back order a 4090 here msi trio x ( which is a card I actually want because it fits my case and the trio x was awesome in the 3000 series, didn’t have as loud coil whine as the stupid asus cards do ) this is following the same design and they even mentioned they improved that in the 4000 website.

Z690i asus rog board
240 aio Lian li
2 1tb nvme
I5 2600k
32gb ddr6 5600 cl 36
When I get the trio x, assuming I don’t under volt it, I believe the card is 450 to 500 max ? ( from the unboxing video I have seen, the converter dongle is 1 to 3 8 pins not 4. Assuming it’s drawing the max power of each cable of 150w, the card max running at 450 ( something I am not understanding as I thought the 4090 base is 450 and those pcie 8 cables max tolerance is 150 each)

Does that mean :
- 750 watts psu in this case if it’s platinum or gold is enough ? I don’t see my cpu and of i5 with everything else sucking more than 250w . Especially if I under volt the card
- with the gpu connector to pcie is only 3x 8 pins and not 4, does that mean the max power of that card is actually 450w ?

Just don’t want to buy a reference card and Trio x was never a reference card for msi ( it was Ventus or whatever it’s called ). The website it self saying core clock is TDB which is annoying

With that processor the gpu utilization is gonna be so low that I think you will be fine, and you will be wasting money.

PhoenixTank

With that processor the gpu utilization is gonna be so low that I think you will be fine, and you will be wasting money.

Z690i asus rog board
240 aio Lian li
2 1tb nvme
I5 2600k
32gb ddr6 5600 cl 36

Does that mean :

I assume that is actually a 12600K not a 2600k.

MSI's page says 850W PSU minimum which is in line with the 4090FE. I wouldn't dare underspec the PSU wattage on a SFX power supply. They're not built to endure the same battering: transient spikes, thermals, ripple and so on.

What on earth sort of SFF case have you got with 11 fans? :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I mean that's all well and good, but that just means they're unnecessarily oversized then too.

kiphalfton

MSI's page says 850W PSU minimum which is in line with the 4090FE. I wouldn't dare underspec the PSU wattage on a SFX power supply. They're not built to endure the same battering: transient spikes, thermals, ripple and so on.

You missed the part where he has DDR6 RAM too.

//DEVIL//

O11 air mini ?

I used to have ssupd case so I needed SFX . Then switched the o11 air mini and still using the same psu but now with 11 fans

And what nvidia recommended is usually because they are gonna assume you gonna pair it with a very high end processor . Like 5950x or whatever ssds as well. So the minimum is 850 for these cases.

O11 air mini ?

I used to have ssupd case so I needed SFX . Then switched the o11 air mini and still using the same psu but now with 11 fans

And what nvidia recommended is usually because they are gonna assume you gonna pair it with a very high end processor . Like 5950x or whatever ssds as well. So the minimum is 850 for these cases.
Afaik the 150W spec for one 8 pin PCIe cable is not the real max it can pull from the PSU. That's why fi Corsair is using just two (?) of them for their 16 pin adapter. Also, a 750W PSU can pull a lot more than that from the wall. I wouldn't recommend trying it out either, but afaik there's no hard limit with your setup that's keeping you from running this thing in your system. If you're feeling lucky, try it out. Then again, who has 2.000 USD for a GPU but not 300 for a new PSU as well?

//DEVIL//

Afaik the 150W spec for one 8 pin PCIe cable is not the real max it can pull from the PSU. That's why fi Corsair is using just two (?) of them for their 16 pin adapter. Also, a 750W PSU can pull a lot more than that from the wall. I wouldn't recommend trying it out either, but afaik there's no hard limit with your setup that's keeping you from running this thing in your system. If you're feeling lucky, try it out. Then again, who has 2.000 USD for a GPU but not 300 for a new PSU as well?
The Corsair 750 has 3 8 pins connector .. but I guess I’ll just be safe and buy a used 1000 watts

Poppyseed

I've settled for this one:

Nobody seems to have this in stock do they?

OZ9000

Banned
I don't know which idiot decided to make the pins for the new PCIE connector so small with a 30 plug in lifespan for cables.

Utterly retarded decision.

I would actually prefer if AMD used the traditional 6-8 pin connectors on their new cards. Also helps avoid getting a new PSU or using the ugly cable connector NVIDIA are supplying.

hlm666

I don't know which idiot decided to make the pins for the new PCIE connector so small with a 30 plug in lifespan for cables.

Utterly retarded decision.

I would actually prefer if AMD used the traditional 6-8 pin connectors on their new cards. Also helps avoid getting a new PSU or using the ugly cable connector NVIDIA are supplying.
sigh, it's not different than what your using now.

Rbk_3

Z690i asus rog board
240 aio Lian li
2 1tb nvme
I5 2600k
32gb ddr6 5600 cl 36

Does that mean :

FYI the Trio X is the only model I see without a vapour chamber and it only has 6 heat pipes. Definitely looks to have the worst cooling solution of the base AIB models by far.

Trio X - No Vapour Chamber 6 heat pipes
Gigabyte Windforce - Vapour Chamber 8 heat pipes (Same cooler as Gaming OC 3090ti which had great reviews under 70C)
Gigabyte Gaming OC - Vapour Chamber 10 heat pipes
TUF Non OC - Vapour Chamber 8 heat pipes
Zotac Trinity - Vapour Chamber 9 heat pipes

I think the Gaming OC is the buy for me. It is priced the same as the Trio X here.

Last edited:

gundalf

So I suppose if the 600W vs 450W story is true, then we can expect smaller and saner cooler designs down the road, right?

Last edited:
FYI the Trio X is the only model I see without a vapour chamber and it only has 6 heat pipes. Definitely looks to have the worst cooling solution of the base AIB models by far.

Gigabyte Windforce - Vapour Chamber 8 heat pipes (Same cooler as Gaming OC 3090ti which had great reviews under 70C)

I think the Gaming OC is the buy for me. It is priced the same as the Trio X here.
That is real good info, thanks. Would you advise against buying the MSI model, then? Or is it fine, just not as good as the other ones? How'd you rate the cards, based on cooling info alone?

Rbk_3

That is real good info, thanks. Would you advise against buying the MSI model, then? Or is it fine, just not as good as the other ones? How'd you rate the cards, based on cooling info alone?

It is hard to say for sure but based on size and specs I would expect all of them I listed to be better than than that MSI.

Here is a review of the Gaming OC 3090ti which is the same cooler on the Windforce and has the same TDP as the 4090. It maxed out at 66C on the performance Bios and 71 on the Quiet Bios. The 4090 Gaming OC is only going to be better than this. I would probably expect the Gaming OC to be in the low to mid 60s and the MSI to be around the low to mid 70s but again this is pure speculation.

As for coil whine, I owned 4 3080s/90s and here was my findings and linked my best Port Royal benchs.

Asus TUF 3080 - Worst coil whine I have ever heard but was a great overclocker https://www.3dmark.com/pr/521935
Gigabyte Gaming OC- No coilwhine very good overclocker https://www.3dmark.com/pr/319587 (Only have 1 Port Run with this card was my first)
MSI Gaming Trio X- No coilwhine average overclocker https://www.3dmark.com/pr/531343
EVGA FTW3 3090- a little coilwhine good overclocker https://www.3dmark.com/pr/717229

Last edited:
What is the tl;dr summary for this?
All the fearmongering around ATX3.0 being mandatory, 3-4 8Pin the only way to power the card etc. is BS. Lots of misinformation going around regarding how PSU function and what these cables can do. This is a concerted effort by some people to bully you into buying new, expensive shit.

TheGecko

Banned
I can buy an Xbox 360 for £40 and get infinitely more enjoyment from it. I don't know how people can keep buying this shit to play shit games at higher resolutions and frame rates.

If you're buying it for other GPU processing tasks then fair enough but as Gamers?.... come on man.

//DEVIL//

From my understanding only strix has that . Even the tuff doesn’t according to the video they demonstrate both cards

Sanepar

What is wrong with this series is simple. 4080 is 52% faster than a 3080 but cost almost double. 90% more.

But I think nvidia fanboys will be stupid enough to buy.

Rbk_3

From my understanding only strix has that . Even the tuff doesn’t according to the video they demonstrate both cards

If you're referring to a Vapour Chamber, it does.

Like the Strix variant, we’ve also redesigned the TUF Gaming card’s cooling with a new vapor chamber for vastly improved heat transfer. While it doesn’t use the same milled design as its Strix sibling, the eight heatpipes — five 8mm and three 6mm — offer a huge leap in cooling potential, with 35% more contact area compared to the TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3090. Like its Strix brethren, though, you can choose between performance and quiet modes with the onboard Dual BIOS switch, or adjust the card’s performance yourself through our new GPU Tweak III software.

OZ9000

Banned
All the fearmongering around ATX3.0 being mandatory, 3-4 8Pin the only way to power the card etc. is BS. Lots of misinformation going around regarding how PSU function and what these cables can do. This is a concerted effort by some people to bully you into buying new, expensive shit.
I was more concerned about the 30 connect/disconnect lifespan of the new connector. That seems extremely low.

benno

prob will get a 4090 on 12th although the power connector sticking out the side won't fit in my case with the side panel on.

What case will it fit in? I can't horizontal mount due to having other PCIe slots taken up with SSD drive and soundcard.

Top Bottom