• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

Excess

What is wrong with this series is simple. 4080 is 52% faster than a 3080 but cost almost double. 90% more.

But I think nvidia fanboys will be stupid enough to buy.
As a 3080 owner, I don't see much incentive to upgrade. The game drought has been so bad the past two years, that there hasn't really been any major game titles in the past two years that warrant the need for those price/performance increases, especially with DLSS.

I think the only people who should find this worthy are the people who missed out on the 30 series upgrade.

Fredrik

I don't know which idiot decided to make the pins for the new PCIE connector so small with a 30 plug in lifespan for cables.

Utterly retarded decision.

I would actually prefer if AMD used the traditional 6-8 pin connectors on their new cards. Also helps avoid getting a new PSU or using the ugly cable connector NVIDIA are supplying.
Gamer Nexus had an update on that 30 connection concern. It’s nothing to worry about.
FYI the Trio X is the only model I see without a vapour chamber and it only has 6 heat pipes. Definitely looks to have the worst cooling solution of the base AIB models by far.

Trio X - No Vapour Chamber 6 heat pipes
Gigabyte Windforce - Vapour Chamber 8 heat pipes (Same cooler as Gaming OC 3090ti which had great reviews under 70C)
Gigabyte Gaming OC - Vapour Chamber 10 heat pipes
TUF Non OC - Vapour Chamber 8 heat pipes
Zotac Trinity - Vapour Chamber 9 heat pipes

I think the Gaming OC is the buy for me. It is priced the same as the Trio X here.
What about the MSI Suprim Liquid X?
Has it’s own AIO cooler, it’s expensive but it still gets me giggling a bit.
AIO 2 fan GPU cooler in the front, intake. AIO 3 fan CPU cooler in the top, exhaust. No other fans. Would that work? Or maybe swap intake exhaust to have a slight over-pressure.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

Gamer Nexus had an update on that 30 connection concern. It’s nothing to worry about.

AIO 2 fan GPU cooler in the front, intake. AIO 3 fan CPU cooler in the top, exhaust. No other fans. Would that work? Or maybe swap intake exhaust to have a slight over-pressure.

Would be a lot better if it had a 360 AIO but my 3090 Hybrid maxed out at like 60C so it should be solid

Rbk_3

kggehx5mrrs91.jpg

ASUS updated their recommended specs baed on CPU.

jaysius

Banned
kggehx5mrrs91.jpg

thats hilariou, rtx 5xxx will require a small power plant at this rate. It won’t even fit into a case, you’ll need a GPU case and they’ll come up with a cable to connect it to your motherboard… actuallly it could have its own psu that way, you might laugh now, but this is the way it’s trending.

the card is exorbitant the cost of power will make you power company cum.

GHG

kggehx5mrrs91.jpg

Should be good to go with a 16GB 4080 as long as there are options that don't involve those ridiculous 4090 coolers. The MSI ventus looks like it should be ok for me.

Now to see what pricing is like where I live. The 4090's seem to be in line with what I'd expect so far ($1700-2000), even if a little on the high side.

Last edited:

Housh

If I can get a FE 4090 card, I'll grab one. My case can fit it and my psu has enough juice. YOLO

I got a 3070 TI before the prices went to crap but I really wanted a 3080 for the extra vram. If I don't win the Nvidia lottery or spot one at a Best Buy, I'll just be fine with my current setup until 5000 series.

Last edited:

Fredrik

kggehx5mrrs91.jpg

Yeah, I saw a guide that went like this:

estimated total system power (pcpartpicker)
x1.5

I just tried it for a build with a MSI 4090 Liquid X and ended up at total 750W estimated and 1125W after the x1.5 calculation.

OZ9000

Banned

Link?

Orta

Banned
If I can get a FE 4090 card, I'll grab one. My case can fit it and my psu has enough juice. YOLO

I got a 3070 TI before the prices went to crap but I really wanted a 3080 for the extra vram. If I don't win the Nvidia lottery or spot one at a Best Buy, I'll just be fine with my current setup until 5000 series.

Plenty of time to save up the two and a half grand that 5090 will cost!

skneogaf

I had the chance to go and buy a 4090 from scan in England on the 12th at 2pm but I have a training course to attend so if I do cave in and buy it will online. I've registered my interest with nvidia which is how I bought the 3090 FE and my current 3090ti FE so I may aim for a 4090 FE as they're the most adult looking graphics card.

It may give me time to check the temperatures and power draw.

Housh

Plenty of time to save up the two and a half grand that 5090 will cost!
I mean that's how much the 4090 will cost me in CAD so yeah...it's expensive af

I had the chance to go and buy a 4090 from scan in England on the 12th at 2pm but I have a training course to attend so if I do cave in and buy it will online. I've registered my interest with nvidia which is how I bought the 3090 FE and my current 3090ti FE so I may aim for a 4090 FE as they're the most adult looking graphics card.

It may give me time to check the temperatures and power draw.
I registered my interest on the site for the 4090 fe too. This is my first time attempting to buy from Nvidia directly. Looking forward to owning my first FE card. I usually buy all black EVGA cards or whatever doesn't look too gamerish. I suppose if I can't nab a 4090 FE, I can always wait to see if they bring out a ti of that card in a year or whatever. I'm in no rush.

PhoenixTank

You missed the part where he has DDR6 RAM too.
I don't discriminate against time travellers.
O11 air mini ?

I used to have ssupd case so I needed SFX . Then switched the o11 air mini and still using the same psu but now with 11 fans

And what nvidia recommended is usually because they are gonna assume you gonna pair it with a very high end processor . Like 5950x or whatever ssds as well. So the minimum is 850 for these cases.
I've not had the pleasure of using the O11 air mini yet. Had no idea it could cram in that many.

Sure, gotta take their test system into account but that doesn't diminish what I said about SFX. Less space, less tolerance across the board.
FWIW, power draw on a 12600K in render workloads is about the same as a 5950x, 10w less than the 5900x that Nvidia include with the 4090 system spec. Seasonic calc reckons you're very underspecced with a 3090 or 3090Ti but they've also become very cautious with the transient spike issue. Enermax calc that seems to have the 4090 thinks you're maybe 5% under the minimum when you add the fans and other components you listed, and that assumes ATX.

Possibly not what you wanted to hear. I hope that the worst that happens is that it shuts down under load.

Last edited:

GHG

Ideally you need at least 1 or two fans dedicated to intake without the obstruction of a radiator.

Alternatively if there's no other way you can accommodate both then do a push pull configuration on the GPU AIO which should be enough to force air into the case.

Fredrik

Ideally you need at least 1 or two fans dedicated to intake without the obstruction of a radiator.

Alternatively if there's no other way you can accommodate both then do a push pull configuration on the GPU AIO which should be enough to force air into the case.
Thank’s for the info 🤝 This is new ground for me, I’m currently pulling in air from two unobstructed 140mm fans and pushing out like a chimney at the top from 3 120mm fans through a radiator. Should probably add another intake fan.

Just started Zen4 Lian Li build. So much glass, feels like having an aquarium on the desk…

OZ9000

Banned
This has been the standard for almost all types of connectors since forever. Nothing new.

Turned out that power cables in general have connection cycles in the dozens. So if you’ve been okay using past cables you should be okay using them now as well.

I've replaced and tested multiple GPUs in my system over the past 4 years lol. This is quite alarming. Why are we hearing about this for the first time now?

I've replaced and tested multiple GPUs in my system over the past 4 years lol. This is quite alarming. Why are we hearing about this for the first time now?
Manufacturers don't want you to know so you keep buying their stuff without demanding higher standards. A group of "tech" YouTubers decided they could make a quick buck right before the launch of the 4090 by blowing this pseudo issue out of proportion (which all started with Zotacs fineprint on their 4090 models) and dogpiling on evil Nvidia for easy clicks.

Fredrik

Doesn’t seem like that info was meant for a normal end user, it’s for internal testing. And thinking about it, I think I’ve unplugged the pcie cables on my old 850W PSU max 10 times over 10 years and 4 graphics cards.

But if you’re doing reviews or something like that and unplug cards all the time it’s a different story. If you’re genuinely worried, go with a fully modular PSU and swap the cables after a certain number of uses.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Thank’s for the info 🤝 This is new ground for me, I’m currently pulling in air from two unobstructed 140mm fans and pushing out like a chimney at the top from 3 120mm fans through a radiator. Should probably add another intake fan.

Just started Zen4 Lian Li build. So much glass, feels like having an aquarium on the desk…

It's funny how the wallpaper matches your screen.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

If you're referring to a Vapour Chamber, it does.

Like the Strix variant, we’ve also redesigned the TUF Gaming card’s cooling with a new vapor chamber for vastly improved heat transfer. While it doesn’t use the same milled design as its Strix sibling, the eight heatpipes — five 8mm and three 6mm — offer a huge leap in cooling potential, with 35% more contact area compared to the TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3090. Like its Strix brethren, though, you can choose between performance and quiet modes with the onboard Dual BIOS switch, or adjust the card’s performance yourself through our new GPU Tweak III software.
Hmmm now I have my doubts

Asus sucks when it has coil whining I can’t handle that. I was really very annoyed by it and I will no longer buy an ASUS card because of this. I do not care about brand name as much as a real cooling performance/noise
FYI the Trio X is the only model I see without a vapour chamber and it only has 6 heat pipes. Definitely looks to have the worst cooling solution of the base AIB models by far.

Trio X - No Vapour Chamber 6 heat pipes
Gigabyte Windforce - Vapour Chamber 8 heat pipes (Same cooler as Gaming OC 3090ti which had great reviews under 70C)
Gigabyte Gaming OC - Vapour Chamber 10 heat pipes
TUF Non OC - Vapour Chamber 8 heat pipes
Zotac Trinity - Vapour Chamber 9 heat pipes

I think the Gaming OC is the buy for me. It is priced the same as the Trio X here.

I took your advice, I switched my order to gigabyte OC for me . the store already has more than 20 stocks and 5 are already sold as a sales order ( not given to the customers of course ). my order was the 6th so my order is locked for Wednesday. ( sucks I can't leave work before 3pm but what can you do lol.

hlm666

Watch the part of the video I linked you it explians it but you continue to ignore it and ask questions it answers. So in an effort to end the concern because you probably wont watch it again anyway, the test for determining the connection cycle lifetime puts alot more strain on the cables than what even your average tech reviewer would do, 30 cycles with running 55 amps down the cable for 10 hours and even then the failure rate is tiny.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I may run with my 1000w Platinum for the reference card. It's too much hassle replacing a PSU.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

All want to know if strix will fit In my fractual torrent

If that card doesn't fit in an E-ATX case than Asus has a serious issue

-----
For component clearance, the case has a maximum PSU and GPU length of 230mm and 461mm, respectively. If not the 461mm, its total GPU length is 423mm with a pre-installed front fan.
----

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If that card doesn't fit in an E-ATX case than Asus has a serious issue

-----
For component clearance, the case has a maximum PSU and GPU length of 230mm and 461mm, respectively. If not the 461mm, its total GPU length is 423mm with a pre-installed front fan.
----
It’s not the length, it’s the girth. That’s one girthy-ass card and plus the power adapter sticks straight out toward the side panel.

Girth. That’s the word of the day.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Just leave the glass door open said the clowns who know nothing about how airflow works.

EVGA would never.
I have to wonder about all the rumors.

Nvidia: “Hey board partners, 4090 is 600W so design your coolers appropriately”

*all the partners build big ass coolers that won’t fit in like 80% of existing gaming cases*

Nvidia: “Never mind it’s actually just 450W but look at the bright side, these GPUs will be so cool and quiet! Oh yeah also our 4090 FE is the same length and width as 3090 unlike all those abominations you guys made…. good luck with that!”

It’s making more and more sense why EVGA decided they’ve had it with this shit.

Last edited:

benno

Nvidia: “Never mind it’s actually just 450W but look at the bright side, these GPUs will be so cool and quiet! Oh yeah also our 4090 FE is the same length and width as 3090 unlike all those abominations you guys made…. good luck with that!”
and I have a clone of that Lian Li case and it won't fit the Nvidia 4090 FE version in either.
Leaving the side panel off is my only option.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I hate how loud my 3080's fans can get, but I know it's standard. It's a great card otherwise. I had already planned on using it for several years until I absolutely need to upgrade. Glad I can dodge the 4000 series, because these cards are wayyyyy too large.

Neo_game

We've discussed this already multiple times in this thread alone. There are legit reasons to buy such a card, even for gaming purposes only. At this point I don't know if people are trolling or just that unimaginative / unable to think outside their own bubble of use cases.

What are you taking about ? It is people hobby to build new PC or have newest stuff, there is nothing wrong. It comes down to need vs want.

Celcius

°Temp. member
How do you guys think people will look back on these huge coolers? The fermi of this era, or the beginning of the new norm?

Last edited:

Catphish

I really wonder if this is going to be successful for nVidia. Their stock is down almost 2/3 from their peak last November, and has only declined further since the announcement of the 40xx's.

It seems like they're grossly misreading the market, launching cards at these price points with these physical characteristics when the circumstances that gave fuel to their rise (covid & crypto mining) have all but evaporated.

I think an early and significant price drop is all but guaranteed. Unless I was rolling in it, there's no way I'd buy any of these cards at release.

Top Bottom