• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Saber

Gold Member
/r/Stadia when it pilfers it’s first and only GAF member.

ClMliso.gif

After that, I kinda feel like Stadia fans gonna post here to resquest their accounts to be perm banned.

In all seriousness though, I won't be a dick for no reason, thus I won't use someone's autism against them or any disability for that matter. But with all due respect, I won't censor my sense of humour for anyone. So I think it's in both of our best interests that you ignore me. No hard feelings on my end for it though :)

No your good. As long as its for humour and its not serious I'm good with it.

No hard feelings my end either.

I appreciate the explanation though.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
There’s an important distinction to be made between people who are actually autistic, and brandishing the word as humor or a short-hand insult. Typically, the latter has nothing to do with the former.

As no offense is intentionally made... why take it? You know? I think it’s best to keep a good sense of humor and not take this stuff too seriously.

There will always be a diverse, hilarious collection of ‘no’ words, that aren’t always politically correct. It’s all about the intent behind it.

But never say neurotypical unironically.

There’s an important distinction to be made between people who are actually autistic, and brandishing the word as humor or a short-hand insult. Typically, the latter has nothing to do with the former.

As no offense is intentionally made... why take it? You know? I think it’s best to keep a good sense of humor and not take this stuff too seriously.

There will always be a diverse, hilarious collection of ‘no’ words, that aren’t always politically correct. It’s all about the intent behind it.

Your absolutely right and I apologise to Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity for that.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Your absolutely right and I apologise to Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity for that.

This is why I like autistic people. I only have a casual understanding of the condition, but it seems with the lighter applications of it, you’re exceptionally predisposed to logical, honest thinking. I always see that in autistic people I meet.

Anyone else, I would have been here arguing for the rest of the night, trying to get past the layers of bias, tribalism, and stupidity.

If you catch me on a bad day, I might say it’s the rest of the planet that actually has the condition. 😋

Last edited:
This is why I like autistic people. I only have a casual understanding of the condition, but it seems with the lighter applications of it, you’re exceptionally predisposed to logical, honest thinking. I always see that in autistic people I meet.

Anyone else, I would have been here arguing for the rest of the night, trying to get past the layers of bias, tribalism, and stupidity.

If you catch me on a bad day, I might say it’s the rest of the planet that actually has the condition. 😋

That's very kind of you to say! We all can make mistakes and it's important to appreciate the wisdom of logic and wisdom of others and apply it to one's own thinking, especially if you yourself are making an error of judgment.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

As long as nobody says ableism it will be ok.

teezzy

Banned
One of my (thank god) exes accused me of being an ableist once, because I pointed out that my friend who told me he was autistic, was autistic to her.

"You're an ableist!" she accused.
"What's that?" I asked
"It means you think you're better than disabled people"
"Well in some ways I am"
"Like how?!" she was so pissed
"I don't know... walking?"

One of the highlights of my life. Good riddance.

That's gay.

ok I'm definitely taking the piss right now, but I guess it works the same way. I made an autistic joke, and got nailed for it, as my friends daughter is autistic. I wish there were words that has the same connotation, without being actual disorders/orientations/etc.

-Arcadia-

Banned
What the fuck happened here. It’s like the nicest exchange I’ve seen in this thread .. and from Xaero Gravity Xaero Gravity no less.

Reasonable people talking to reasonable people. It looks like magic with the current state of society.

That's gay.

ok I'm definitely taking the piss right now, but I guess it works the same way. I made an autistic joke, and got nailed for it, as my friends daughter is autistic. I wish there were words that has the same connotation, without being actual disorders/orientations/etc.

Unfortunately, that’s why they have their flavor, that bit of inappropriate edginess. It’s the same reason why farnsgoth will never quite be as satisfying as dropping the other one.

A word you’ve been told not to say, will always have more impact than one you can. Which is why the recent hyper-offense at words in our culture is... actually kind of counter-productive. It gives those words an appeal and a power, instead of letting them fade into milquetoast irrelevance.

teezzy

Banned
Just seems kinda misguided to me.

LIke racism, sexism, transphobia, whatever. Like I can see those existing. But to like genuinely hate disabled people? I can't imagine someone being like that

Reasonable people talking to reasonable people. It looks like magic with the current state of society.

Unfortunately, that’s why they have their flavor, that bit of inappropriate edginess. It’s the same reason why farnsgoth will never quite be as satisfying as dropping the other one.

A word you’ve been told not to say, will always have more impact than one you can. Which is why the recent hyper-offense at words in our culture is... actually kind of counter-productive. It gives those words an appeal and a power, instead of letting them fade into milquetoast irrelevance.
Just like things that are taboo, until they aren't.

I think the issue goes deeper than a simple base line of hate though.

For example it's much more difficult to gain employment if your autistic and from my own personal experience there is still a tabboo of Disability within dating.

Hate is a strong word that can sweep aside the other issues going on.

Top Bottom