• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bobby Kotick, former CEO of Activision, Interested in Buying Tik-Tok

reinking

Gold Member
Episode 1 Villian GIF by The Simpsons

Nvzman

Not different at all. Go look at Edward Snowden's info he leaked 11 years ago. Those US companies were working with the government.
Working with the government (aka "oh someone might be doing terrorist activity we need credentials") is not the same as actively building profiles on individuals and using it for information warfare a la China. Regardless last I checked its China who is actively committing human rights violations (even disregarding privacy, I'm talking things like segregation and workers rights) and working to undermine everyone else's economies to boost theirs (again, workers rights be damned and social freedoms be damned), so this thread having people so adamantly defending them and stupidly saying "WELL THE USA IS BASICALLY THE SAME SO WHY DOES IT MATTER" (its not) is kind of suspect.

Fabieter

Working with the government (aka "oh someone might be doing terrorist activity we need credentials") is not the same as actively building profiles on individuals and using it for information warfare a la China. Regardless last I checked its China who is actively committing human rights violations (even disregarding privacy, I'm talking things like segregation and workers rights) and working to undermine everyone else's economies to boost theirs (again, workers rights be damned and social freedoms be damned), so this thread having people so adamantly defending them and stupidly saying "WELL THE USA IS BASICALLY THE SAME SO WHY DOES IT MATTER" (its not) is kind of suspect.

Let's have a call with julian assange if the other part is so innocent. Every big nation like China Russia and USA is fucked up to the teeth.

Unknown?

I'm not defending anyone, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of it all. China should not be doing this and it shouldn't be allowed in our country. Neither should our government. Using the guise of terrorism is not a reason to circumvent the constitution and violate rights.

Being forced to sell by US is some major grade bullshit.

Building a database of users, thier familes, where they live. affiliations, etc. for use by the CCP is some bullshit. Stealing people's user data from unreleated apps is some bullshit. Building an algorithm to dumb down other societies while using that same algorythm to boost your own is some bullshit. Your head is so far up your rectum that you must have to feast of your own feces. Explains the brain damage and pure stupidity. If you love the CCP and their garbage app so much move to China, say one thing that's out of line and see what happens.

Last edited:

Red5

Hmmmmm, do I want companies working with a democratically-elected government or an authoritarian regime?

Decide Fox Tv GIF by Paradise Hotel

A democratically elected government that created the concept of rendition so it can legally torture its own citizens in allied countries without getting sued, lied through its teeth at the UNSC so they can invade a country much like what the authoritarian governments do among a myriad of other things.

A democratically elected government would have faced repercussions for all the shit the US did to its citizens, but no one ever did.

StereoVsn

It's varying degrees of grayness, again they aren't the same, stop suggesting that because it simply isn't true.
The whole fact that we can discuss things like this openly without going to jail or “re-education “ camp for years should be enough to illustrate the difference. But of course it’s all black and white so CCP is the same as US, UK, Germany, France, etc…

simpatico

Building a database of users, thier familes, where they live. affiliations, etc. for use by the CCP is some bullshit. Stealing people's user data from unreleated apps is some bullshit. Building an algorithm to dumb down other societies while using that same algorythm to boost your own is some bullshit. Your head is so far up your rectum that you must have to feast of your own feces. Explains the brain damage and pure stupidity. If you love the CCP and their garbage app so much move to China, say one thing that's out of line and see what happens.
There are 50,000 other apps doing the same thing. The reason TikTok gets attention is because they're eating the lunch of Meta and X when it comes to advertising dollars. If the gov really meant what they said they'd go after all predatory apps. Since they're not, it's clear this is just strong arming on behalf of donors. What do you think the Chinese government plans to do with your browsing habit data? Arrest you for it? oh wait...

Last edited:
There are 50,000 other apps doing the same thing. The reason TikTok gets attention is because they're eating the lunch of Meta and X when it comes to advertising dollars. If the gov really meant what they said they'd go after all predatory apps. Since they're not, it's clear this is just strong arming on behalf of donors. What do you think the Chinese government plans to do with your browsing habit data? Arrest you for it? oh wait...

This is a foreign nation, pretty much an enemy, stealing information, brainwashing our children, starting conflicts, etc. Their algorythm literally educates them while at the same time dumbing us down. While the others are bad this is way worse. People like you won't wake up until their is a chinese boot on your throat unfortunately.

simpatico

This is a foreign nation, pretty much an enemy, stealing information, brainwashing our children, starting conflicts, etc. Their algorythm literally educates them while at the same time dumbing us down. While the others are bad this is way worse. People like you won't wake up until their is a chinese boot on your throat unfortunately.
The exact same content is on IG and FB reels. Again, if a company tried to make an American version of Chinese TikTok, that existed to advance and glorify founding stock Americans and traditional American values, the US gov would ban it and jail the owners.

Last edited:

Red5

USAID and US funded NGO's in my country do basically the same thing. Our biggest university passed internal regulations that complies with US inclusion laws, LGBTQ+, so that they keep getting US aid funds etc...

The exact same content is on IG and FB reels.

It's not about the content. It's about the way it is promoted and served to you. Why are the chinese getting educational postings while our people get the tide pod challenge and endless cat videos? I literally spend 7 days a week defending my organization from their endless wave of cyber attacks while people like you defend them. Social media all sucks, and no one is debating you regarding that but Tik Tok is literally an enemy infiltration tool.

Last edited:

NoobSmog

TikTok has been shown to promote content friendly to CCP and demote content that is critical against China.

China bans all US and most Western media apps in general. It seems pretty fair that we would ban TikTok.

In addition frankly TikTok is even more brain rot than YouTube shorts and Instagram/Facebook and they should tell you something.

I mean hell, look at ByteDance content in China that is censored to all hell vs to what is shown in the West.

As far as spying aspect, TikTok and ByteDance got caught several times that data was going to China and admitted that ByteDance admins have access to data even if it’s in US/EU.

I don’t know about remote turning on for Mic/Camera, kind of find that dubious proposition though. There are enough reasons to ban TikTok without that.
All of this, except i can't like twice so i'll just quote it.

Youtube, facebook, google are all banned in China. It's completely hypocritical saying we shouldn't do the same to an app that is actively pushing propaganda.

Red5

The exact same content is on IG and FB reels. Again, if a company tried to make an American version of Chinese TikTok, that existed to advance and glorify founding stock Americans and traditional American values, the US gov would ban it and jail the owners.

The US is all about the free market until they can't compete so they resort "national security concerns" to shut down competition like they did with Dubai Port World, Huawei and now TikTok.

It's not about the content. It's about the way it is promoted and served to you. Why are the chinese getting educational postings while our people get the tide pod challenge and endless cat videos? Wake up dude.

Because that's what the brain dead people want to watch? Same thing on IG reels, it's based on trending algorithm, China isn't making you dumb, America has been behind in education long before the internet was a thing.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Is that true for the us with the patriot act? Afaik they can enforce info from any us company.
They can’t enforce without at least a judge somewhere approving as far as I know. Even further the when thing gets a lot trickers with US Citizens. Is there some clandestine shit happening? Of course there is as with any other country.

But again, comparing US or another Western country to China or Russia (as of last few years) is beyond ridiculous. You can criticize Biden, Trump, US Army, security services and so on to your heart's content.

Go try that in China, Russia and quite a few other nations and see what happens. US isn’t perfect by any measure, but saying US Too when talking about spying or repression in China is being beyond ridiculous.

Fabieter

They can’t enforce without at least a judge somewhere approving as far as I know. Even further the when thing gets a lot trickers with US Citizens. Is there some clandestine shit happening? Of course there is as with any other country.

But again, comparing US or another Western country to China or Russia (as of last few years) is beyond ridiculous. You can criticize Biden, Trump, US Army, security services and so on to your heart's content.

Go try that in China, Russia and quite a few other nations and see what happens. US isn’t perfect by any measure, but saying US Too when talking about spying or repression in China is being beyond ridiculous.

I mean you are right to an extent. But Julian assange proves this is be wrong. He proved war crimes and had a shit live ever since, but I agree its nice we can discuss things and it won't change anyway.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I fully support this acquisition. That way I can continue to ignore TikTok and Bobby Kotick at the same time. Think of the savings!

Rockman33

Being forced to sell by US is some major grade bullshit.
Allowing this app in general to the US population with all of its data tracking going directly to China is some MAJOR grade bullshit. IMO they should just completely ban the entire app.

StereoVsn

I mean you are right to an extent. But Julian assange proves this is be wrong. He proved war crimes and had a shit live ever since, but I agree its nice we can discuss things and it won't change anyway.
Of course things could change. They constantly change. CIA doesn’t overthrow counties government because of a fruit company at least.

Some of the shit they pulled in earlier days also has been stopped. There is always going to be Black Ops crap that is shady AF. However, thing do and can change. Presidents and Administrations can and do change.

That’s the biggest difference that unlike China (or Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc), the Western countries have public participation, at least mostly freedom of speech and more.

None of that flies in the autocrat ruled nations above. And especially not in China.

Edit: I used to live in what was Soviet Union and so feel quite strongly about this subject. Apologies if folks got offended.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Because that's what the brain dead people want to watch? Same thing on IG reels, it's based on trending algorithm, China isn't making you dumb, America has been behind in education long before the internet was a thing.

Bullshit. It has nothing to do with what people want to watch, but rather the content being fed to users being completely different. The shit on the U.S. version of TikTok wouldn’t even be allowed in China.

Killjoy-NL

They are upset they can spy on Americans but only because they can't use them to do their spying like Google, Facebook, Apple, and any large tech company based in the US.
I'm willing to bet that China spying is just a bs excuse, when in fact they have a bigger issue with "fake news" being spread among milennials and Gen Z, completely undermining propaganda from the government.

Bridges

I hate the idea of my government spying on me.

But I ESPECIALLY hate the idea of other governments spying on me.

Just because we know the US government is tapped into our electronics doesn't mean we should handwave when foreign entities try to do the same

Red5

Bullshit. It has nothing to do with what people want to watch, but rather the content being fed to users being completely different. The shit on the U.S. version of TikTok wouldn’t even be allowed in China.

Same content is available on IG reels, Facebook and Youtube, most of the stuff I see on IG reels is reactions and copy pastes from TikTok, want to argue that Google and Meta are now working for CPC in some conspiracy to dumb down America?

Fabieter

To suggest China is treating their citizens the same as the United States IS delusional, what the fuck are you talking about.
This thread having an actual defence squad proves how little education people have about the rest of the world. Goddamn.

It's not about treating their citizens the same its about being shady and spying on like the whole world which both countries do to a ridiculous degree. Both have their fair share of propaganda and both deserve criticism.

Ansphn

Glad i never got into Tiktok but this has nothing to do with privacy. More of a "this app owned by a foreign competitor is eating our lunch in functionality and popularity over U.S based Social media apps. So lets force them to sell so we can take over the tech and popularity situation".

In the long run, I'm not sure this looks good for the U.S as a hub for foreign businesses to thrive and become successful because its looking like the U.S will clip your wings if you get too close to the top over U.S based companies.

Last edited:
This dude might be a genius. Suckered Phil to not only bail him out of legal issues but got hundreds of millions in the process. Now he knows govt might force tik tok US to sell to an American company which it would probably have to do on the cheap.

Bobby and Lulu are the only winners in the ABK deal.

JonSnowball

Do it, Bobby. Buy it, ruin it, and lose money in the process you morally devoid sack of fermenting shit. TikTok does little more than accelerate the decay of attention spans and assist in the retardation of individuals habitually consuming content through it and Bobby is a piece of shit. Buy it. Fucking buy it. Buy it, ruin it, and have it shut down. It's what you were born to do.

Can you give a source of it? Because if this is provable it would be banned like years ago.

Anyway even if its true that would mean the rest of the world have to ban all us applications.
Also, TikTok tracks all your location data, all your web visit, search terms, etc, and uploads to their server, and the CCP can access it any time they want. There is no privacy laws etc protection in China. If the government asks for it, all private business must obey. So if they ask ByteDance will comply.

I'm 100% serious. A friend of mine is a NSA cyber security contractor in DC and he's explained to me why the app is banned in every government building there. And it's precisely because the CCP can remotely turn on the mic and camera on any device the app is on and with geo-location they can easily see if the phone is in the Pentagon to do it.

I am not saying your friend is right or not but that generates a lot of questions and have serious implications if true

for starters that implies the permission restrictions in the phone doesnt do anything, this is an app in user space so if the permission system works then it relies in a bug that should be patched by now, if cannot be patched then the phone has a backdoor at hardware level like IME and PSP in intel and amd x86 cpu's but in ARM cpus and the app uses that to access the phone hardware bypasing the kernel not only that would confirm many conspiracy theories but also is something the goverment and NSA did themselves , AFAIK even in that case the goverment agencies use "safe hardware" for example the IME in intel chips is disabled(except for boot stuff) in goverment laptops so in order to be true, then the goverment is using "unsafe hardware" in important operations wich is incredible unprofesional(yet there are examples of bad security in US goverment), and the CCP goverment discovered/bought the key to this backdoor in ARM cpus wich is a hell of a mess if it gets to mainstream news when people start questioning "why there is a hardware backdoor" in the first place

or maybe all of this is merely a psyop by politicians in both parties to convince people to cooperate in the sabotage of china economic advancement similar to the things us goverment said about g5 networks where presented no evidence, maybe your friend is using social enginering(telling lies ans exagerations) in you or maybe your friend works in a separated area at NSA where they simply rely in what superiors tell them with no means of corroborating and he genuinely believe something that is not true there is a posibility that your friend is being manipulated

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Imagine Sony hiring Kotick to be the next SIE CEO.
People obviously hate him for being evil.

But the man got Activision to a 70bil market value and even managed to get some idiots to buy it at that price 🤣.

I imagine most big companies would absolutely love the dude to come and take over, they just don't know how they'll sell it to the public.

Reactions: GHG
Top Bottom