• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch devs claim Bobby Kotick sabotaged OW2’s Steam launch

GHG

🤔🤔🤔🤔
It seems that OW, Diablo, WoW, and CoD are having a bumpy ride trying to satisfy the core fan base....is that all Bobby's fault?...if so....the moment he steps out the building all issues are going to be fixed?

something is sus to me.

Of course it was Bobby's fault.

It will all be fixed and future games will release to stellar steam reviews now that Phil is in charge 🥰

Last edited:

simpatico

Then download the OW2 client? It's the same fucking game, just free now. Oh boo hoo, I have to download a new client.
Bubba earlier in this very thread you said that Diablo Immortal was better than Diablo 4. I think we can safely discard your opinions. Bobby Kotick is an American legend. He wrangled these blue haired invalids into one of the most profitable companies in all of gaming. I'd like to see someone else handle people who are unable to even look at a forum and find a way to make their work profitable. That's all Microsoft's problem now and I wish them luck.

killatopak

Review bombing only really works if the work is subpar not terrible. Quality shines through mediocrity. If the work is trash then review bombing isn’t really needed.

It seems that the game is not only trash but also review bombed which is equal parts warranted and undeserved preemptively.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Bobby Kotick is an American legend.
harry potter GIF

geary

Is this a serious question? Or are you truly asking why someone wouldn't publicly go against their boss?
This guys says he doesn't work at AB anymore? Why did he wait till now to come with this twitter?
And to answer your question, yes, why didn't did this tweet when it happen? I know why, it was the sentiment of self-preservation, but then don't be the white knight when you don't have any skin in it now.

I just don't like people who are brave when don't they know wont suffer the consequences of their bravery. They look like cowards.
He should have not made this tweet at all.

CSJ

Huh? Everyone who actually paid for OW1 still has what they paid for

I'm not 100% sure if you're for or against it based on the rest of the comment but I don't have OW1? Nobody does? It's dead.
I don't like 5 v 5, it's completely changed the pace of the game etc. There's a reason many of the people I play with don't anymore.

It can't be for nothing.
They killed one game we played, made another we don't.

Lol sure, then what happened.
Sounds imaginary.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I think it's fair to say that everyone had a part to play in this whole fiasco.

Bobby is for sure to blame for making bad decisions that affected the whole production pipeline for multiple studios, such as cutting development resources and ignoring potential backlash for missing features. Or not doing anything about complete buffoons in leadership positions who couldn't properly manage projects to save their lives. I recognize the line "shit flowing downstream" all too well because I've experienced that kind of incompetence firsthand, and low-level employees who have to do the worst job usually can't do anything about it, otherwise they get the boot. Having to face the music from the community for your leader's incompetent decisions is truly a chef's kiss. Can you blame them for being so bitter about it?

On the other hand, it's also true that Bobby didn't come down to the sweatshop and told the developers to make the game bad. These developers are mostly coasting on Blizzard's past successes and any talent that was there is long gone, making better games as independent devs. If current devs and project leads were good enough to live up to the company's legacy, they'd still at the very least be able to make the best of the situation instead of making garbage and then shedding any accountability and going around blaming others.

Review bombing would happen either way as at that time it was a combination of factors - chinese servers being closed due to Netease deal, people hating Blizzard for cancelling campaigns and so on.

I think the mistake was to launch OW2 at all - should have stuck with OW and that's it as no GaaS game launch the second game these days.

King Dazzar

🤔🤔🤔🤔
It seems that OW, Diablo, WoW, and CoD are having a bumpy ride trying to satisfy the core fan base....is that all Bobby's fault?...if so....the moment he steps out the building all issues are going to be fixed?

something is sus to me.
Forgetting the OP specifics for a moment. This is just my general thoughts on Bobby Wanktit in general. We cant have it both ways. Did he run the company or not? He gets a lot of praise for his business acumen and making ABK financially successful. Well it only stands to reason for me that his leadership helped steer the company into the monetary mechanisms of today to fleece gamers for much as they can. And all the ethically questionable related things that have gone on at the company.

Does that change with Phil & Booty etc. I think that it'll generally be BAU and appear the same for some considerable time as the train slowly veers off and derails over time. But others have far more faith in the Xbox management team than I do.

Hudo

Just fucking scrap the IP already. It was just a way to make some money off of the remains of Project Titan, which I believe they did. Overwatch 2 never made any sense. Scrap the IP, move on to something new.

...AND RE-REMAKE WARCRAFT 3, YOU FUCKERS.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Review bombing only really works if the work is subpar not terrible. Quality shines through mediocrity. If the work is trash then review bombing isn’t really needed.

It seems that the game is not only trash but also review bombed which is equal parts warranted and undeserved preemptively.

What is trash about Overwatch 2?

Hudo

Overwatch 1 would've been shut down with the loot box laws everyone seemed to love before OW2 came out. The game also wouldn't survive without going F2P.
Sure. But they should've just updated the game instead of making Overwatch 2. They tried to oversell a bigger DLC as a brand new game, which I believe was a big-ass marketing error. If they had just kept updating and reworking Overwatch, it wouldn't even have mattered that much that they never delivered on the promised PvE-story campaign stuff, which was one of the big parts of the sales pitch for Overwatch 2.

This whole IP was just mismanaged horribly after they had a very good first year with Overwatch 1.

Last edited:
Is this guy crying because he had to read Steam comments instead of hiring additional staff just to read Steam comments? I cant even make out what he's saying. Low T.
Lmao I'm so glad this is the first post to this thread. That dude's a total bitch. Knowing old Bobby big dick is the reason their games are on Steam makes me like him even more. The fact that it made these soft "men" cry because they had to read Steam reviews is just the cherry on top.

BlackTron

He continued, “Moderation of Steam was put on the community team (not a function of community at Blizzard), despite my refusal to expose members of my team to that level of toxic content/posts.”
When asked whose decision it was to launch on Steam with no additional help: Bobby.”

What does the community team actually do? Dude you have one job you ARE the extra help. To be fair, the "community team" has to put up with a much worse job because the rest of the studio sucks. So? When the toilet gets clogged the janitor doesn't ask you to hire him a janitor.

Codes 208

User reviews are just pretty unreliable. like one of the reviewers in this picture has 61 hours in game, but allegedly hates it
Out of context, a longer playtime would actually validate their opinion further imo. If someone actually put time into something and gives a reasonable reason why they learned they hate it, im more likely to agree with it than a 5min shitpost review

Not in this case though, i definitely believe that most steam reviews are for shits and giggles

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What resources are there to stop people from bashing a shitty game on Steam? I legitimately have no idea what this guy is whining about.

Information: your game stinks
Data: your game stinks
Resources: ???

Came to ask this exact same question.

You knew you were releasing your game on a service where customers have a voice.

And you were begging for help?

geary

What does the community team actually do? Dude you have one job you ARE the extra help. To be fair, the "community team" has to put up with a much worse job because the rest of the studio sucks. So? When the toilet gets clogged the janitor doesn't ask you to hire him a janitor.
If the community team doesnt have to deal with the community, wtf is their job?

Interfectum

IMG-9820.png

This thing seems pleasant. Imagine this creature standing up in a board meeting and demanding the CEO get fired. I am counting my lucky stars that I don’t work in a field that has been taken over by these fucking lunatics. Working along side this type of person sounds like a goddamn nightmare.
That thing is Phil’s problem now… good luck breh.

Top Bottom