• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite The Ongoing Negativity, Overwatch 2 Exceeds Forecasts & Achieves Over 50M Active Players

Draugoth

Gold Member
overwatch-2-820x394.jpg

Via TwistedVoxel

According to the LinkedIn profile of Sam Saliba, former Vice President and Head of Global Marketing for Overwatch 2, the game has exceeded forecasts and reached over 50 million active players. He also mentioned that he helped exceed KPIs by 130% by leading the integrated launch of Overwatch 2, which resulted in the Hero shooter being the top trending title on Twitter, YouTube, TikTok, Twitch, and Google Search. Additionally, he stated that the game achieved $225 million in revenue during his time at Activision Blizzard.

Overwatch 2 active players

The aforementioned statistics are rather contradictory to the views shared regarding Overwatch 2 over social media. It’s likely that they represent a vocal minority of players who are dissatisfied with the game. It’s also worth mentioning that the Hero shooter got review bombed on Valve’s digital distribution platform, Steam, with “overwhelmingly negative” user reviews. The game’s arrival on Valve’s platform was expected to give it a boost in active players after Blizzard acknowledged that player engagement had decreased, and that has indeed happened.

As of writing, only around 16% of the user reviews for Overwatch 2 on Steam are positive, despite the game hitting a peak player count of 24,658 in the last 24 hours. In their reviews, many users have been critical of acquiring heroes through the Battle Pass, while others have expressed their disappointment with the cancellation of the PvE mode that was announced back in 2019. Additionally, certain users have expressed dissatisfaction with the matchmaking system, as it appears to fall short of being welcoming to newcomers.

I'm not buying it, unless that number was either "reached" by going backwards or their definition of what constitutes an "active player" is so loose as to be essentially meaningless.

ahhIxaM.png

I know that most people are probably still using the Blizzard launcher rather than Steam, but I'm pretty sure that if the overall number of players had actually gone up the Steam numbers would reflect this.

Porticus

Everyone I know that plays OW2 (really few nowadays) on pc uninstalled that useless launcher and installed the game on Steam.

Ozriel

M$FT
Eh
People massage achievements on CVs and LinkedIn. That certainly doesn’t say anything about player retention or how long the spike lasted. You’ll note the achievement talks about ‘launch’.

This isn’t to be used as a good estimate of where the title is today.

"Active players." IMO this style of corporate lying by implication should be illegal. What people think; 50m people play OW2 actively. What is the case; 50m accounts logged in one time during OW lifetime period, marking them as active. Could even include OW1 lmao.

See;
I'm not buying it, unless that number was either "reached" by going backwards or their definition of what constitutes an "active player" is so loose as to be essentially meaningless.

ahhIxaM.png

I know that most people are probably still using the Blizzard launcher rather than Steam, but I'm pretty sure that if the overall number of players had actually gone up the Steam numbers would reflect this.

Last edited:

killatopak

An active player doesn’t mean much when it’s f2p compared to OW1.

Still, it that is accurate, there are still people who believe in OW2. That also explains why they announced the return of the esports tournament.

Doom85

Do I think the actual active player count as high as that?

No.

Do I think it’s still a good deal higher than what some people here on Gaf want it to be at?

Yes.

Top Bottom