• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus reportedly removing mods that remove pronouns from Starfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solidus_T

Is Disney racist when they race swap their storied characters?
From their own story? They can make it how they want, given that they have already released the Little Mermaid before (if that is what you're referring to). Comparing it to someone changing it or modifying it is dishonest.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
From their own story? They can make it how they want, given that they have already released the Little Mermaid before (if that is what you're referring to). Comparing it to someone changing it or modifying it is dishonest.
If they took a black character and race swapped them white "to their own story," do you honestly sit here with a straight face and say that is "kosher" or "gravy," and no outrage?
Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

Nexus Mods can host whatever mods they want, shouldn't even be a discussion.

I will say their website layout, review system, mod managers, account requirements all seem clunky and archaic. I wouldn't mind another mod site stepping up and offering a better product.

Solidus_T

If they took a black character and race swapped them white "to their own story," do you honestly sit here with a straight face and say that is "kosher" or "gravy," and no outrage?
Serious The Four GIF by Diddy
Using quotation marks for things I never said? Nice!
Anyway, no, I would not be upset, especially about a children's story like The Little Mermaid. I see you gave away your hand here though. I didn't know it was that important to you.

[

Imagine if you were in a position where you felt differently about that.

Strain as hard as you can, if you will, to have empathy with others.
No, don't drag me into this, it has nothing to do with me. If someone prefers a pronoun I will address that way because of courtesy. But you don't know me, don't tell me what to think what to empathize.

And speaking of empathy, yes, this is how the big corps empathize, absolutely not just barebone pandering at all.

Erkuza

Banned
This thread is the reason this pronoun crap is all over the media. It just another tool the powers that be use to make us argue among ourselves and further divide us so we're too distracted to notice them fucking us in the ass.

Let's not argue about the real issues like the mass printing of our currencies that is causing mass inflation, inflated home prices because multinational corporations like Black Rock are buying up all the homes and keeping them vacant, and stagnant wages while at same time you have all these corporations bringing in record profits. As well as an obesity pandemic, drug/opioid pandemic, increase homelessness, mass unchecked illegal immigration, and a drop in testosterone and IQ. No, lets not come together and argue about these problems but let's fight among ourself about something as insignificant as gender pronouns. Both people are on both side of the argument are brain dead morons.

Last edited:

Montauk

No, don't drag me into this, it has nothing to do with me. If someone prefers a pronoun I will address that way because of courtesy. But you don't know me, don't tell me what to think what to empathize.

And speaking of empathy, yes, this is how the big corps empathize, absolutely not just barebone pandering at all.

Of course it’s to do with you, I responded to your opinion. Your opinion is a product of you. You said that having pronouns is pathetic, but when asked to maybe consider somebody who might find it more important than you do, you respond with “it’s not about me”

If it’s not about you and your opinion, why are you opining in this thread?

As for you next point about barebones pandering that is a laughable comeback.

You can’t be serious? If they’d made characters throughout the game use your selected pronouns, you’d also be angry about that and you’d be in here calling it pathetic too.

Last edited:

SLoco

Neo Member
We are in middle of culture war in Usa and fact is "woke" side is starting to lose ground,studios shut down,sales going down big time,and even beloved games losing 50 percent of fans.
So even do prounouns in starfield seem silly ,reallity is its just another battleground until one side wins.

Soodanim

Gold Member
One of the reasons I'm laughing so hard is because, for those who severely dislike multiple pronoun labels in games, it takes merely a few seconds of critical thinking to realize that removing all of the pronouns would be just as gender fluid as having all of them.

It makes this even more of a clown show once that group realizes this.
While I have no horse in this race, this is the type of argument I see on Reddit in the circlejerk comment threads.

Everyone on both sides of the argument knows full well that when people talk about pronouns in this context they mean choosing pronouns outside of the standard two sex pronouns that apply to all sexually reproducing animals on this planet. I'd call it petty point scoring but it's not even that, it's a made up point of view that's being torn down. It's why these discussions never go anywhere.

Not that this will go anywhere, it's an ideological split and I doubt this thread is making anyone change sides.

Red5

Nexusmods are a private entity and not public services, they do not owe you anything, if they don't want to host your files or do business with you then tough luck.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This thread is the reason this pronoun crap is all over the media. It just another tool the powers that be use to make us argue among ourselves and further divide us so we're too distracted to notice them fucking us in the ass.

Let's not argue about the real issues like the mass printing of our currencies that is causing mass inflation, inflated home prices because multinational corporations like Black Rock are buying up all the homes and keeping them vacant, and stagnant wages while at same time you have all these corporations bringing in record profits. As well as an obesity pandemic, drug/opioid pandemic, increase homelessness, mass unchecked illegal immigration, and a drop in testosterone and IQ. No, lets not come together and argue about these problems but let's fight among ourself about something as insignificant as gender pronouns. Both people are on both side of the argument are brain dead morons.

Exactly, they want us bickering over stupid shit like this to gloss over the real issues, as apparently people fall right into the trap en masse. The entire culture war divide was encouraged by much smarter forces to take advantage of the teeming masses. But I'm stepping away from the thread before it gets worse. Have fun guys.

I didn't really care until I saw this, now I'm definitely downloading the mod and installing it out of spite.

( I hadn't bought the game yet because still playing BG3, but will install the mod when I get this game in a couple of months)

Last edited:

Red5

I didn't really care until I saw this, now I'm definitely downloading the mod and installing it out of spite.

( I hadn't bought the game yet because still playing BG3, but will install the mod when I get this game in a couple of months)

Just wondering and not to nitpick but who's going to know? The mod isn't going to be on Nexus so you're not going to be boosting the mods popularity, more likely from some unknow webpage or discord channel sure, but that's so lowkey that it practically defeats the purpose of spite.

Montauk

Yeah and ultimately that’s what this is all about, isn’t it? Spite. Pure spite.

Let’s just hope that the people endorsing this spite aren’t displaying that same spite to certain minorities that cross their paths.

Again it’s funny; I don’t think you’d pop up in here proudly saying you were going to download the “remove all gay dudes from the game” mod, because now people most people largely accept that gay dudes are gay and they have gay dude friends and gay dude family members and want them to able to live normal lives and you’d be embarrassed to look like you were seething and full of hatred for gay dudes.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
No, he was definitely wrong.

Can I ask what your reaction would be if he’d been ranting like this after talking to a gay character?
Whats a gay character got to do with it? This was about pronouns? And lets be honest, it was shoe horned in to appease. If they were serious about pronouns they would have been far more than what was offered.

Do you feel there was enough? If so, you're not taking into consideration the Ze/Zems, biggot.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nexus Mods can host whatever mods they want, shouldn't even be a discussion.

Absolutely. But the problem is that it demonstrates the point that a particular cultural standard is being unilaterally imposed top-down that not everyone agrees with.

It shows the "culture war" is undeniably a real phenomenon with clearly drawn battle-lines. Which in turn leads to the unpleasant conclusion that it will only end when one side is defeated.

Which if you think about it, is inevitably going to fail the driving principle of any sort of philosophy of "inclusion" because it resolves to eliminating or beating into submission one side or the other. It becomes about suppression, not integration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom