• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield feels "like it wasnt made to be modded", says Unnoficial Patch Modders

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Starfield wasn't made to be modded? There's a mod for that.

todd howard thanks GIF

Fredrik

I'm a little reverse when I was a little disenchanted with cyberpunk and came away more blown away later on.

My stand on cyberpunk and Starfield. I just don't think it will have the favors and benefit of some longevity similar to Skyrim. The end is still at this appointment and I think I've said enough as it is.

Doesn't mean I'm upset or anything. But certain points bear repeating.

My personal gave me the year right now is Star Ocean. The second Story R. That is a game that has exceeded my expectations by a lot, even if it is a remake of an old classic.
I loved Cyberpunk on PC day one. Couldn’t believe the hate. Yes there were some bugs but the story telling was superb and the immersion too, which today is still why I think it’s so great. All the complaints about the police and what not I couldn’t really understand, I had zero expectations on stuff like that, I just wanted a cool Cyberpunk RPG with good story-telling and I got that, thought the action was particularly great compared to other RPGs too, and even though the lifepaths aligned quickly I still liked that the game gave me completely different starts.

With Starfield my expectations were higher, and because of that it started out lower. I’d say it was the least buggy Bethesda game ever but it lacked the fine tuned exploration I wanted and main quest became repetitive and I didn’t and still don’t like the tame world. And to be blunt, no sex appeal in a whole universe. What’s up with that??

But it grew on me, really liked certain faction quests and I love the gun combat and how different the weapons feel and I still think the ship building and outpost building is incredibly fun.
For me it’s a mash of games, No Man’s Sky with role-playing, Skyrim in space, CoD with austronauts, Mass Effect with more planets, Elite, etc, depending on how you play it. It’s not doing anything perfectly but it’s doing everything good enough and I love that it feels like the world never stops and they don’t try to push me to do stuff. I’m 100+ hours into my second playthrough now and I’ve only done the first main quest that gave me the ship. I have 4 bases and automated cargo links and I’m mostly just minding my own business, trying to find good crew without dragging along any Constellation people. For me it’s rare to be able to do that. Most games are so incredibly guided now, hand-holding to the max, and I’m so not a fan of that, only makes me rush through games over a week and then I’m back to waiting for the next big one.

But anyway, we like different things.

Last edited:
Cyberpunk had MAJOR flaws, don't even try to compare a game that was fu*in RECALLED, the first time in history I might add, has there been another Playstation title that underwent an official recall? Crazy... You clearly have something against Starfield to even suggest that it's in the same clusterfuck that Cyberpunk was, and suggest it can't be fixed. Double whammy, clearly biased.

That poster was trying to tell you that Cyberpunks issues were bugs/glitches mostly which can be fixed with updates, you nitwit.
At least try to think about what the posts you're replying to are trying to say.
You clearly have feelings for Starfield to get out your weapons and armor to defend it against the slightest perceived offense. Double whammy, clearly biased.

cireza

Starfield wasn't made to do some feature that has not been released yet. Another sensational news piece.

Last edited:
Not everyone agrees that they are both great though. To me Starfield is flawed from its foundational design, story, and characters. No amount of patches or mods will “fix” it

Do you complain about Mario games not having story or characters?

Bethesda games have been video gamey since forever.

Foundational design, again, this is new game. New ip. New quest design. New exploration hooks.

Skyrim is something they have perfected, some 10 years ago. It's time for a new challenge for Bethesda. I respect them for that. Not releasing a safe sequal.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Well, the game is a pretty subpar game for being a major AAA title. The glaring flaws and really bad design decisions are far more offensive. Stuff like this just reaffirms how, if true, they just cut all the corners they could and the game is bad. Bad. It's average. What you should wish for is that their flagship title in the Elder Scrolls isn't as bad as this, or the studio will be far more devaluated than it already is because I think if you're rational and like Bethesda like I do, you know that this studio, as it is right now, is nowhere near what it used to be. Times change and other studios adapt and continue to evolve, this isn't one of them and Starfield really doesn't deserve more than 15 or $20 of your money. If even that. I would rather recommend something like no Man's sky, which lacks some of the elements that Starfield has
When some recommends No Man's Sky over Starfield, that's when I know they have no fucking idea what they're talking about.

Dazraell

Foundational design, again, this is new game. New ip. New quest design. New exploration hooks.

Skyrim is something they have perfected, some 10 years ago. It's time for a new challenge for Bethesda. I respect them for that. Not releasing a safe sequal.

While their games may not be sequels, they feel very safe as most of their design-related choices are essentially the same since Morrowind. The main issue here is that Bethesda doesn't really try to innovate and step up their game and improve and refine things they are notoriously bad at. Each of their franchises may have different name and different worlds, but fundamentally speaking, they're the same. You could say "d'oh, it's Bethesda game, this is what makes them special", but with each of their positives (dynamic sandboxes, fantastic worldbuilding, focus on exploration and discovery) also comes all of their negatives (dated game design, modular worldspaces divided by loading screens, awful writing, repeatable side quests)

The downside of their approach is that issues that were managable 10 years ago are still present in their games while the technology is constantly evolving to the point a lot of the issues from their games is basically non-existent in other current day games. Their dated approach to core design is constantly holding down the scale and ambition of their projects. You can't really blame people for complaining on it as these concerns are more than valid. It's nothing wrong to enjoy Starfield. The game has its own strengths, but it also has some weaknesses that with each of their games are the same and are more and more noticeable. As unfortunate as it is, Starfield doesn't really feel like a next-gen Bethesda game. It feels like a game we know, with each of its upsides and downsides

killatopak

I guess I’ll wait a bit more before going all in on SF.

These are unofficial patch modders. Meaning they are the one who does the bugfixes and balances.

If you mod extensively on Bethesda games, you know 90% of the mods have dependencies on either the unofficial mod patches or a universal UI patch like SkyUI. Both type of mods that I think are pretty much essential regardless if you plan to play vanilla or heavily modded.

BigLee74

really doesn't deserve more than 15 or $20 of your money. If even that. I would rather recommend something like no Man's sky, which lacks some of the elements that Starfield has

Worst valuation ever? Worst alternative recommendation ever?

Starfield is very much worth the equivalent of 3 pints of weak beer, and No Man’s Sky is not a great alternative (‘lacks some of the elements’ 😂😂😂)

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
When some recommends No Man's Sky over Starfield, that's when I know they have no fucking idea what they're talking about.
You can determine which game cost multiple hundreds of millions of dollars vs the smaller indie title. I have friends who love NMS. I, for the record, don't. I gave both cakes a chance, NMS was more fun experience. That's that.

Starfield is still what it is. I have nothing else to add.
Worst valuation ever? Worst alternative recommendation ever?

Starfield is very much worth the equivalent of 3 pints of weak beer, and No Man’s Sky is not a great alternative (‘lacks some of the elements’ 😂😂😂)
I think 3 pints of beer may help me enjoy any game more. Good suggestion son.

While their games may not be sequels, they feel very safe as most of their design-related choices are essentially the same since Morrowind. The main issue here is that Bethesda doesn't really try to innovate and step up their game and improve and refine things they are notoriously bad at. Each of their franchises may have different name and different worlds, but fundamentally speaking, they're the same. You could say "d'oh, it's Bethesda game, this is what makes them special", but with each of their positives (dynamic sandboxes, fantastic worldbuilding, focus on exploration and discovery) also comes all of their negatives (dated game design, modular worldspaces divided by loading screens, awful writing, repeatable side quests)

The downside of their approach is that issues that were managable 10 years ago are still present in their games while the technology is constantly evolving to the point a lot of the issues from their games is basically non-existent in other current day games. Their dated approach to core design is constantly holding down the scale and ambition of their projects. You can't really blame people for complaining on it as these concerns are more than valid. It's nothing wrong to enjoy Starfield. The game has its own strengths, but it also has some weaknesses that with each of their games are the same and are more and more noticeable. As unfortunate as it is, Starfield doesn't really feel like a next-gen Bethesda game. It feels like a game we know, with each of its upsides and downsides

I just want to play a new Bethesda game. Lol.

It comes out in so many years.

As for Starfield, this is biggest departure from their formula.

With that said, I am not saying they have it all figured out. Clearly it's a work in progress in how to make quests and exploration for a game set on so many planets.

Last edited:

Mario isn’t a story based game. Starfield is.

They may have perfected a game from the mid 2000s, but it’s 2023

So many aspects of this game are downright poor, it’s inexcusable

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Either I'm missing something or a lot of GAF is missing something.

Nexus Mods recently put up a piece about how Starfield's modding is fundamentally different in how it loads esm/esp/esl files, which is causing breakages in load orders.

With the meany years of knowledge in the engine's previous iterations, modders should be able to put things together in the time until the official modding tools are released. And they have, except for the above breakage issue.

It's not that Starfield isn't yet made for modding, as that capability is baked into the engine -- not something that gets patched in later. It's that fundamental changes have affected the way modding works in a way that is either not currently understood or in need of some serious fixing. Hopefully it's the former.

Top Bottom