• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Devs Working on Official Mod Support Plan, Including for Consoles

If you're a Baldur's Gate 3 modder who's been frustrated with having to uninstall, reinstall, update, and re-juggle your mods every time a new patch is released, fear not: it sounds like developer Larian Studios has your back, and official mod support is on its way.

A tweet from Larian Studios director of publishing Michael Douse acknowledges that patches such as the most recent Hotfix #19 frequently break installed mods and force users to wait for updates, uninstall, or otherwise play without desired mods for a time in order to run the most recent version of the game. However, he adds that the team has "been working on a robust, cross-platform plan for mod support to be released later in year."

"We have a system but it needs to be tested and still requires work," reads a follow-up tweet. "We’re excited about it. I understand that it suck’s when the game is updated and mods break. Our community teams will start talking with and looping in modding community. For now, work continues :)"
More information was provided in a post from Larian senior community strategist WombatMedic on Discord. In a lengthy post, Wombat similarly acknowledged the player experience of patches being incompatible with popular mods, and spoke further on the company's plans to move toward official support in the future:
We are working on official mod support, and have been for a while. We want the very best for you, which includes establishing a pipeline that lets mod authors release their mods across different platforms. Together with the platform holders, we are working on making this a reality, and are forming a team to support mod curation. We’re aiming to offer modding support for things like classes, UI, customisation, spells, and certain assets and game mechanics. As this is no small task, we hope to introduce the initial stages of modding support in our next big patch, which is still several months away. Frustrated as you might be now, we’re keen to work with you on this - and have plans to reach out to popular mod authors to talk further and work together to avoid issues in the future.
Despite the current lack of official support, Baldur's Gate 3 players are using mods for all kinds of things, such as adding new spells, character races and backgrounds, UI adjustments, carrying more items, new character customization features, control and camera tweaks, removing the party size limit, giving Astarion a gun, and tons of other things. It's good news that Larian is actively working on ensuring all those mods and more will be compatible with future updates, especially given a long Larian community history of actively and ambitiously modding its past games, like Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2. And the possibility of console support in particular is an incredible touch.

StereoVsn

Praise Cthulhu! Hopefully mod support will be available with some of the decent mod managers.

It’s currently sometimes a crapshoot which mods work with each other.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Larian just keep on scoring goals.

There are already some essential mods i cannot play without: Free Camera (Native Camera Tweaks), WASD movement, Party Limit Remover, Camp Events highlighter, plus some cheat mods i use to get overpowered gear and extra spells. Larian coordinating with the community so that mods do not break with big patches is an awesome thing for them to be doing.

Jesb

Should I just blind dip in this one. Really want to try this game but turn based is usually not my jam. Wish I could play a demo or something.

Mister Wolf

Should I just blind dip in this one. Really want to try this game but turn based is usually not my jam. Wish I could play a demo or something.

You should. Any questions you have the community on here will be happy to help. I always show people this.

Doom85

Happy Tom Cruise GIF

The GOAT that just keeps giving. As I play on PS5, can’t wait to try shit like the 6-party member mod.

Top Bottom