• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Dev Is Working Toward An RPG That "Dwarfs" It, Not coming out this Generation

Draugoth

Gold Member
baldurs-gate-3-rpg-dungeons-dragons-batalha-dragao-pico-jogadores.jpg

Baldur's Gate 3 developer Larian Studios blew our collective mind with the sheer scale and depth in its role-playing masterpiece, but the studio has plans for a game so gargantuan, it may very well make Baldur's Gate 3 look tiny. Speaking to GameSpot at GDC, Vincke explained that Larian's next game also won't actually be the aforementioned "very big RPG," but will be another step toward realizing it.

"I think there is some tech that we don't have yet,"

Vincke said.

And I don't know what the specs are on the next gen [of gaming systems] yet, but I hope that it's going to bring us closer.

Kuranghi

Me tasting this news:

Hot Wings GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones

That's pretty exciting, it'll run at 60fps + PT on PS8. It's gotta be some next level interaction shit, like make all the best games known for interactivity look rubbish.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
baldurs-gate-3-rpg-dungeons-dragons-batalha-dragao-pico-jogadores.jpg

I have 300 hours in BG3 and I don't think I've seen this particular enemy before. Can someone tell me where it's found?

R6Rider

Gold Member
"Not coming out this generation"

Episode 8 Showtime GIF by Shameless

It will still probably release before Elder Scrolls VI.

Last edited:
Why must everything be bigger and bigger? Hearing someone hype up their next 400 hour adventure just turns me off.
Because they can make a bigger game now since their last game was a massive success.

BG3 can take over a hundred hours and still people regularly beg for a DLC expansion or a longer epilogue.

mortal

Gold Member
I admire their ambition. It's pleasing to see a studio like Larian's achieve success and thrive, especially doing so without fucking over their devs and gamers in that pursuit.
Hopefully, they end up pulling it off and avoiding the same traps that CDPR fell into after their success with The Witcher III.

Mozzarella

He also said its not the upcoming game, but its a long process.
To me the way i see it, is that Swen is putting a good motivational goal for him and his team at Larian to aspire to create the perfect RPG a thing that will never happen, in the same way legendary filmmakers do, you are not going to make masterpieces unless you have that mindset.

gtabro

What... do you mean "dwarfs it"?

I PUT 185 HOURS IN MY FIRST PLAYTHROUGH

WTF DO YOU MEAN DWARFS IS?????????

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, that's cool I guess, but do we really want games that require you to dedicate all your gaming time to a single game for months and months? I think I don't want that, I want to play a bunch of different games.

Such a statement coming from anyone else would probably sound a lot like a Star Citizen like recipe for neverending feature creep.
Dwarfing some giant game, makes me not more interested though. I am also in the don't have time for these games boat.

simpatico

Good. I’m happy they’re not chained to that IP. I don’t think it translates great to video games. Not a fan of the rolls.

Since Larian only made 90 million off BG3, I hope they crowd fund if the need the appropriate funds. Surprised more popular studios dont try to go independent and just crowd fund on their own

Denton

What... do you mean "dwarfs it"?
Swen grew up on Ultima 7 and his ultimate game is "very big RPG that dwarfs them all" and he certainly does not mean in playtime.
He means in overall quality, scope, detail, world simulation, NPC simulation, weather simulation, character progression systems, choices and consequences, etc etc etc

BG3 is a big and great game and rightly appreciated, but it does not do everything Swen wants his games to do. For example, NPCs are static with no simulation and schedules, weather is static, etc.

Since Larian only made 90 million off BG3, I hope they crowd fund if the need the appropriate funds. Surprised more popular studios dont try to go independent and just crowd fund on their own

This number is nonsense made up from some very flawed napkin math. Larian made lot more than that.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Gold Member
i hope it comes out in 2030 or 2031 or thereabouts, which is when i will upgrade my current 4090 to the 7090Ti Ultra Pro Max, capable of tracing paths directly into your eyes

XXL

No. Probably won't either. I'm tired of huge rpg games that take months to complete.
You can beat BG3 relatively quickly if you want to. I would say about 40-50hrs (not speed running).

The reason people spend hundreds of hours in the game is because they get lost in the RPG systems flexibility, since they're top tier (literally).

This is a dumb reason to not grace yourself with this games presence.

gtabro

@ Denton Denton fair points, a BG3-like rpg with Skyrim/RDR type "living world" that will allow for even more freedom in terms of completing quests (can already see thief type characters embracing the night) will indeed be a good step forward.

Why must everything be bigger and bigger? Hearing someone hype up their next 400 hour adventure just turns me off.
I prefer smaller, replayable cRPGs over 300+ hour epics
I'm tired of huge rpg games that take months to complete.
Hmm, that's cool I guess, but do we really want games that require you to dedicate all your gaming time to a single game for months and months? I think I don't want that, I want to play a bunch of different games.
howlongtobeat-suggests-100-completionist-in-only-93h-v0-xita5hbzahib1.png

Hudo

My dream would be a Larian-made Dark Sun RPG. But this will most likely never happen since Dark Sun is too "controversial" nowadays.

Top Bottom